IGNORED

Louis Saha Signs!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And he's done well enough alongside Rooney and Tevez so why should he change his style alongside Yakubu? I think he would work well next to Yak and can't wait to see them in action!

Because Rooney and Tevez dropped deep while Saha (when fit and playing) led the line and held the ball up, for runners to come onto it. Yakubu is clearly the best striker at your club and he needs someone to play 2nd fiddle to him or a poacher kind of player. McFadden would have been a quality partner if he had the consistency and IMO Derbyshire or someone like him would work best with Yakubu. (Osman did well supporting Yakubu as well)

But fair enough anyway.

Edited by xavier

Because Rooney and Tevez dropped deep while Saha (when fit and playing) led the line and held the ball up, for runners to come onto it. Yakubu is clearly the best striker at your club and he needs someone to play 2nd fiddle to him or a poacher kind of player. McFadden would have been a quality partner if he had the consistency and IMO Derbyshire or someone like him would work best with Yakubu. (Osman did well supporting Yakubu as well)

But fair enough anyway.

Yep. I see where your coming from. I was thinking that they would work well together because Yakubu could take the role of Rooney, digging deep and holding the play while Saha would maybe run around more and sometimes overlap. Saha would do most of the running whilst Yakubu held the ball up, on the odd occasion taking it for himself and going individually.

We'll see on Saturday but I can really see this partnership working well against a low on moral Portsmouth side. Castillo, Jacobsen and Saha all new with Yakubu, Arteta and Osman all goal ready. Sound's good to me.

What wages do you think he is on. I think this will be a good signing if we were clever and made the deal with a pay as you play type clause. Otherwise massive risk and should be focusing on the midfield.

He'll be on 50,000? I would have thought he will take a wage drop from being at Manchester United and now Everton. It's going to be a salary drop.

Wonder how much we paid for him (the fee is undisclosed)?

I heard £2 million mentioned somewhere, but I'm unsure whether to believe. I don't think Manchester United would let Saha go for that fee.

And for the people that have been negative about Saha, be positive! We've had good success with Manchester United, Tim Howard was an excellent signing and Phil Neville is now our captain. So we should hopefully have Saha set for our Top Scorer :)

Can't imagine he would cost more than £5m, so a good signing.

It gives us options and is a better option to have than AJ was.

Good Point. 100% agreed. Johnson's work rate was excellent when he first came, but he never seemed to find the net. Towards the end a move was inevitable. I can't see him doing much at Fulham. Another David Healy IMO.

Edited by dark

Saha had a good time at Fulham, he was a real threat for them and helped them to secure a place in the Premiership. He looked really good when he played and you knew it was only a matter of time before either Manchester United or Arsenal snapped him up.

If you look at his records he's not done bad considering he's been injured for some time. He's managed to net 53 goals for Fulham in 117 appearances and scored 28 goals in 86 appearances for Manchester United. Hopefully him and Yak will be a good strike force for 2008/09.

In my opinion this is the perfect signing, we needed a striker to play alongside Yakubu and this is the perfect man. We look good in attack now with Yak, Saha, Vaughan, Baxter, Jutkiewicz and Anichebe (even though Anichebe can leave for me) we should really start to roll in the goals and challenge for Europe again this season.

Good signings so far, Jacobsen looked good against Nurnburg and Castillo's looks good according to his Ecuador records. I suppose we can't complain getting them on a free transfer. But we look set for the season now, one or two more signings (a goalkeeper please?) and we should be done - COYB :D

Sorry mate but you are talking shite about Jacobsen there - he wasn't even on the bench when we played Nurnberg...

I'm not overly impressed with this one, as far as i'm concerned its just another body on the wage bill that will figure about as many times as Vander Meyde. And what a slap in the face for Vaughan. :huh:

Don't think its a slap in the face for Vaughany. We need more than 2 strikers at the club.

Competition doesn't mean that Moyes doesn't rate the kid. He is still very young though and is injury prone. I think if you were to ask DM on the quiet he would say that James Vaughan has the most ability of ALL the strikers in the club.

Don't think its a slap in the face for Vaughany. We need more than 2 strikers at the club.

Competition doesn't mean that Moyes doesn't rate the kid. He is still very young though and is injury prone. I think if you were to ask DM on the quiet he would say that James Vaughan has the most ability of ALL the strikers in the club.

Vaughan's time will come. He's still very young, and injury prone so I can't see how he would be annoyed at the signing of Louis Saha. He'll probably know that he's not going to be the first-choice striker any time soon and he accepts that. He's still a very good player and one for the future.

Sadly to me this reeks of a desperate signing..now i grant you we need players but..Saha.. :huh: the mind boggles..

Oh and new here so hi there

Welcome ;)

What was the point in selling Johnson to bring in an injury prone part timer. Vaughan and Annichebe are better than this.

United have been heavily linked with Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov and could now make a move for the Bulgaria international before the transfer window closes. But United boss Sir Alex Ferguson said on Thursday that he did not know whether the deal would happen. "I am less optimistic today than recent days. I have no idea what is going to happen," said Ferguson.

Was on one of the football sites looking at the Saha news and saw that ^ Will Berbatov ever go to Manchester United?

Andy Johnson was sold because he was finding it harder and harder to hit the net, he was finding it hard to challenge for the first-striker role and because he was being out-played by Yakubu and at times Vaughan.

In my opinion Andy Johnson was a fantastic signing at first and his début against Watford coulden't of gone better but he lacked that finishing touch, he lacked that edge and soon his days were numbered and it was sooner rather than later that he would be in a new kit.

Because an injury prone part timer is a better player than Johnson has become.

Agreed though, I would almost say Vaughan is, maybe will, be a better player than Saha.

Saha is a good player, he may be injured a lot but when fit he's in a different league to AJ. If he can stay injury free then he'll be an excellent signing, as long as he OR Vaughan is fit we'll be fine, especially once Cahill is back.

What was the point in selling Johnson to bring in an injury prone part timer. Vaughan and Annichebe are better than this.

Johnson was an injury prone part timer last season and is proving it again this season, whether he wanted to go is another issue. Players are like a box of chocolates....etc

I was expecting a few more high profile signings though after Moyes comments regarding top players

Saha is a good player, he may be injured a lot but when fit he's in a different league to AJ. If he can stay injury free then he'll be an excellent signing, as long as he OR Vaughan is fit we'll be fine, especially once Cahill is back.

If he can stay fit for us then yes good signing

But the facts are 86 games for united since 2004

shocked at some of the crap people are talking baout saha....

yes he is injury prone, and yes that could be problematic given that we have a few injured players, but there's a slight difference to saha and VDM, because when saha is fit he's class, and will get the goals, we've got vaughan and anichebe to back up the yak on the occasions when he's not available or simply not firing, and so far the yak has got 2 in 2 games. Plus if Saha is fit, i agree with the idea of partnering him up front, and running arteta cahill osman and a DM in midfield.

End of the day Moyes was clearly fighting an uphill battle this transfer window, and i was delighted to see that we had signed anyone, let alone 3 players, 2 of which have good track records.

I hate people being pessimistic about new signings, you have no idea how they'll turn out, yes it could be that moyes made a huge mistake saha never comes off injury and we end up wasting money on a player that will barely play.

On the other hand, Saha could stay fit all season, net 20 goals and get us european football for another year.

You don't know anymore than I do all you can do is assume, based on his history, and I'm looking at it, and when he was fit he fired off his fair share of shots so why moan about it? end of the day i'm sure moyes is making the best of a bad situation and this considering the lack of activity isn't a bad signing...

yes i would love to see moutinho or M'Bia join, yes i would love it if he added 2 or 3 midfielders to the ranks and actually gave us a solid starting team every week, but we only just lost to blackburn and we took 3 points from west brom, and this is with a bench full of youngsters and 2 on the field, so why wouldn't adding a solid DM, CF and RB bee beneficial to us?

personally the only downside is if it turns out there all completely shat pank, but i doubt it, moyes isn't an idiot.....

yes he is injury prone, and yes that could be problematic given that we have a few injured players, but there's a slight difference to saha and VDM, because when saha is fit he's class, and will get the goals, we've got vaughan and anichebe to back up the yak on the occasions when he's not available or simply not firing, and so far the yak has got 2 in 2 games. Plus if Saha is fit, i agree with the idea of partnering him up front, and running arteta cahill osman and a DM in midfield.

End of the day Moyes was clearly fighting an uphill battle this transfer window, and i was delighted to see that we had signed anyone, let alone 3 players, 2 of which have good track records.

I hate people being pessimistic about new signings, you have no idea how they'll turn out, yes it could be that moyes made a huge mistake saha never comes off injury and we end up wasting money on a player that will barely play.

On the other hand, Saha could stay fit all season, net 20 goals and get us european football for another year.

You don't know anymore than I do all you can do is assume, based on his history, and I'm looking at it, and when he was fit he fired off his fair share of shots so why moan about it? end of the day i'm sure moyes is making the best of a bad situation and this considering the lack of activity isn't a bad signing...

yes i would love to see moutinho or M'Bia join, yes i would love it if he added 2 or 3 midfielders to the ranks and actually gave us a solid starting team every week, but we only just lost to blackburn and we took 3 points from west brom, and this is with a bench full of youngsters and 2 on the field, so why wouldn't adding a solid DM, CF and RB bee beneficial to us?

personally the only downside is if it turns out there all completely shat pank, but i doubt it, moyes isn't an idiot.....

good post, Andy Gray didn't have the best injury record when we signed him, he was supposedly past his best as well, he did ok. VDM likes his booze, the guy just isn't mentally there - Saha is an excellent player with a lot of talent. Even if he only plays 15 - 20 games this season that'll do me, I'd rather he played 15-20 games, Vaughan played 15-20 games than AJ play 40 - plus we've made a healthy profit in return and give the youngsters chance to improve and get some games. If Vaughan is fit then he's ready to play, he's already better than AJ. Saha has some height, we needed it.

When ever is VDM fit, please tell me. Saha does have a poor work rate, always has had hence he does not meet what I believe to be Moyes criteria. Everyone on this board wants the best for our club and I don't think this guy is and I bet many Utd fans feel happy at his departure

Moyes got us from relegation fighter's into European Cup Challengers. As a club we owe a lot to David Moyes. He's brought in small players (at the time) like Tim Cahill and Joleon Lescott who have turned out to be some of our best players. Take Mikel Arteta, not many of use had even heard of him nevermind seen him play, we sign him for pennies and all of a sudden he's our best player and the whole fanbase love him.

Moyes has done well in the Transfer Market. Finding gems from the lower leagues and making them into class Premiership players. He's managed to move us foreward each season, I can't think of many bad signings he's made. Valente, Baines, Howard, Jagielka, Yobo, Neville. They've all been good players for us and it was Moyes that spotted them.

If we think about all the success that Moyes has had in the Transfer Market then I see no reason why Louis Saha can't be another excellent signing, along with Jacobsen and Castello. I know we all have our opinions and some people just don't like Saha, I didn't like Neville when he first came and now I think he's an excellent captain, but I know some people think that Neville is a joke. I'm just saying that we are all entitled to our opinion, but as we haven't seen Saha in an Everton shirt yet we should look at Moyes Transfer Record and think positive.

Please dont tell me VDM still has ANY supporters left who think he'll ever play anything like he was once capable?

He is a wastrel of the highest order and by far and away the clubs worst signing in recent memory,indeed a leech who should have been sacked a long time..becuase simply put...if we did what he does at work (i.e fuck all) WE'D be sacked..its shameful that the club hasnt the backbone to get rid of him

Moyes got us from relegation fighter's into European Cup Challengers. As a club we owe a lot to David Moyes. He's brought in small players (at the time) like Tim Cahill and Joleon Lescott who have turned out to be some of our best players. Take Mikel Arteta, not many of use had even heard of him nevermind seen him play, we sign him for pennies and all of a sudden he's our best player and the whole fanbase love him.

Moyes has done well in the Transfer Market. Finding gems from the lower leagues and making them into class Premiership players. He's managed to move us foreward each season, I can't think of many bad signings he's made. Valente, Baines, Howard, Jagielka, Yobo, Neville. They've all been good players for us and it was Moyes that spotted them.

If we think about all the success that Moyes has had in the Transfer Market then I see no reason why Louis Saha can't be another excellent signing, along with Jacobsen and Castello. I know we all have our opinions and some people just don't like Saha, I didn't like Neville when he first came and now I think he's an excellent captain, but I know some people think that Neville is a joke. I'm just saying that we are all entitled to our opinion, but as we haven't seen Saha in an Everton shirt yet we should look at Moyes Transfer Record and think positive.

well said. moyes has done wonders for the club, and hopefully can bring even more over the next few years

The Regulator said ........... yes he is injury prone, and yes that could be problematic given that we have a few injured players, but there's a slight difference to saha and VDM, because when saha is fit he's class.

No difference at all to VDM cos when he was fit he was a brilliant player, and there are still a few deluded people around here who still think he will get fit again and become like a "New Signing" for us. :D

Saha is the same, he's had two years of inactivity just happy collecting his big pay packet and wollowing in the glory of Man Us last 3 seasons. He's had too much of an easy time, and at 30 years old and injury prone its too much to ask for him to start working his socks off to get back up to top standard, and for probably half the wages.

While we are on the subject why has DM changed the policy of offering only one year contracts to 30 year olds if he offers a 2 year deal with the option of a further year to this fella, why was Carsley allowed to leave and not offered the same. ?

See that Milner has gone to Villa, and Citeh have signed Zabaleta from Espanyol. I'm getting a bit concerned now that our immediate rivals are signing players with arguable experience and pedigree whereas we have to resort to taking cheap or free 'punts'

Saha is such a gamble given his injury record. He is a decent player no doubt , but I don't expect we have paid any sizeable amount for him, which again begs the question of how much if any money, in net terms, Moyes has available. There is only so much he can do with his hands tied before the financial muscle of other sides has an affect.

Edited by Rupert_Fuffeinsmuir III