IGNORED

Interesting Developments

Following the EGM Bill Kenwright made it crystal clear that his share holding was up for sale and he wanted new billionaire owners asap.

The press has been full of gossip about the Indian business man Anil Ambani seeking to buy Newcastle. Mike Ghastly today said he had no intention of selling the club to any one. He is not noted for openness so this could well be a ruse but it does beg the question if Newcastle aren't for sale could it be us next. On top of this another branch of the Abu Dhabi Royal family are wanting to acquire a premiership club.........................watch this space.

What do you think about us being taken over by either body? :)

It obviously depends on their behaviour, if they're going to improve the running of the club and pay off debts.. yes.

If they're going overboard and they borrow more and more money and leave after we end up signing Messi for £70m with no way of paying debts then I wouldn't like it..

I couldn't really care less where the chairman of the club comes from as long as he is open with the fans.

Difficult one this, sell to the arabs win things, but lose your true identity,im older i probably still want to see kids coming through Baxter, Rodwell etc they would not have been given a chance at say Chelsea,also i love Cahill and Lescott only Everton took a chance on these players if we hadnt they could still be in the lower leagues which would be a waste also i think these players now have a sense of loyalty and belonging to the club and supporters but then as i say im older ive seen us win titles and cups maybe the younger ones deserve a chance to see us winning trophies interesting topic lookl forward to seeing everyones take on this :):):)

I doubt Anil will look at us.

I sent a cheeky email to one of his secretaries (long winded connections through companies) telling him how much of a better investment Everton is than Newcastle. Ian Ross knows all about my email.

I don't believe for 1 minute they passed on my email to Anil or he would even read it but I tried :)

In reality, I do not think he would buy us and will buy Newcastle.

I would echo the same points that Louis has stated.

I love the fact we have a evertonian running our club, but i have only seen us win the FA-Cup in 95. So if it takes a american/russian/arab/indian to invest in our club to make us constantly challenge for honours then i would prefer this. If only we could find a billionaire evertonian.......

i know if only.There must be one, just step forward whoever you are :)

Well my take on this is that Yes I want investment in our club as much as the rest of us but not to the Chelsea or Man Shitty extent, I just want us to be able to buy a few £10+ mil players a year and compete at the top level, to be honest I'd rather be in the shit financial position we find ourselves now than sell our souls to some multi billionaire with no affinity to the club who goes out buying superstar players well above our current level and leave all the up and coming young talent we have with no chance of making the first team. As has already been said "Oh for a loaded Evertonian with cash burning a hole in his pocket"

I agree with what your saying really Blue Oz id just like someone who has enough financial clout to buy a couple of players within the 10-20mil region, and like some have said also not lose sight of our own up and coming young talent. Id love us to have a similer all round set-up to Arsenal tbh where the board when needed have and give Wenger what he wants and support his progress.

Edited by EFC-Paul

Would judge any proposal individually I think....the Lerner model would be OK but Shinawatra No.

i know if only.There must be one, just step forward whoever you are :)

Macca could possibly scrape together a billion if pushed....anyone got his number?

He knew my dad forty plus years ago so I could give him a call (for old times sake :D ) and just drop it into the conversation I suppose :P .

Would judge any proposal individually I think....the Lerner model would be OK but Shinawatra No.

Agreed. Lerner appears to have allowed Oneill to just get on with it, but giving him the funding thats been needed.

They've managed the difficult takeover issues and still managed to keep their identity as opposed to Chelski, United (to a degree), City and our smelly friends from across the park.

An arab with all the money city have, with the mindset of Randy Learner to let the manager do his job, would be just perfect.

maybe one day

i think a big difference is a lot of the big investors want instant success, but i think learner is genuinely enjoying life at villa.

Edited by StevO

There was a big rumour a few years back that the Sultan of Brunei had a son who was a Blue, what truth there was in that I'm not sure.

I have always wanted us to be English controlled preferably by a fellow blue. That said in this day and age we stand little to no chance of having success without a huge amount of money that some over rich bastard has to waste so it is really something of a dilemma, pride or purse?????????????????

i dont think its a case of pride or purse, its a case of compete or not compete in my eyes

Correct this is what it comes down too.

For me having been a supporter since the late '70s i've seen up and downs the last few years have given a glimpse of what things could be like if we had some money behind us,which under BK we dont really have.

Do i care if its an evertionian running the club? no i dont frankly all i ask for is someone with afew bob to spend to at least keep us competitive becuase otherwise we will start to fall behind againand thats not acceptable for this club.

We were left behind at the inception of the PL and have been playing catch up ever since so whoever (if ever) anyone takes control of the club they have a hell of a job ahead of them.

Correct this is what it comes down too.

For me having been a supporter since the late '70s i've seen up and downs the last few years have given a glimpse of what things could be like if we had some money behind us,which under BK we dont really have.

Do i care if its an evertionian running the club? no i dont frankly all i ask for is someone with afew bob to spend to at least keep us competitive becuase otherwise we will start to fall behind againand thats not acceptable for this club.

We were left behind at the inception of the PL and have been playing catch up ever since so whoever (if ever) anyone takes control of the club they have a hell of a job ahead of them.

Well I do care, possibly I'm more of a traditionalist having been a blue since the 50's. A lot of us sniped at Chelsea and their Abramovich riches, I would rather these huge buy outs be legislated against than see our history discarded so some billionaire can brag about something he/she knows sod all about. Blue is in my heart and you just can't buy that

It is a fact that football has now become a business as opposed to a working mans sport. This debate has raged on since the mid-eighties and was accelerated by the introduction of Sky and the premiership in this country. There is no getting away from it that football is now just like the big american sports and is attracting even bigger investment and will soon see player reaching even more astronomical transfer fees and wages. I love Everton to the core and would prefer football to keep it's 'open to all' feel, but that seems like trying to convince people to walk than drive.

As much as I hate to say it, Everton will die with all the other minnows over the next 10-15 years unless the club gets a significant benfactor to bring us into th competetive financial business arena that is now football. Players are now commodities to these investors, like race horses, and the clubs merely investment platforms that must make profit. If we want to continue to watch Everton play at the top, we must accept this is a necessity.

It is a fact that football has now become a business as opposed to a working mans sport. This debate has raged on since the mid-eighties and was accelerated by the introduction of Sky and the premiership in this country. There is no getting away from it that football is now just like the big american sports and is attracting even bigger investment and will soon see player reaching even more astronomical transfer fees and wages. I love Everton to the core and would prefer football to keep it's 'open to all' feel, but that seems like trying to convince people to walk than drive.

As much as I hate to say it, Everton will die with all the other minnows over the next 10-15 years unless the club gets a significant benfactor to bring us into th competetive financial business arena that is now football. Players are now commodities to these investors, like race horses, and the clubs merely investment platforms that must make profit. If we want to continue to watch Everton play at the top, we must accept this is a necessity.

I think the rules of the game will change before they allow so many clubs to go to the wall. It could be done now if we followed the rugby league model with wage caps ets. Where there is a will there is a way. The game cannot be totally divorced from its grass roots

As stated by others I would prefer a Randy Lerner model, and one where we buy a couple of £10-20m players a year, bringer solid youngsters through - effectively what we are doing now, but without all the debt!

Whilst I appreciate a lot of these billionaires see football clubs as a play thing rather than an investment, there has to come a time when people like Ambramovich realise that spending huge amounts every year at very little return (assuming they are not winning anything) is no longer fun or sensible. Without thee backers, clubs like Chelsea will go bust.

I love the fact that we are an English club, English owned, Predominantly English players (although thats slowly changing) & Scottish managed (closer to England than Spain!). At least we still have an identity. In comparison look at last seasons top 4 - completely the opposite to us. What was English about the champions league final?

We are the peoples club & Man City were supposed to be the people's club of Manchester - lets watch that all change now. Good buy loyalty & welcome glory hunters!

Good post mate agree 100%

Well I do care, possibly I'm more of a traditionalist having been a blue since the 50's. A lot of us sniped at Chelsea and their Abramovich riches, I would rather these huge buy outs be legislated against than see our history discarded so some billionaire can brag about something he/she knows sod all about. Blue is in my heart and you just can't buy that

Good for you

But its time now to live in the real world..the days of the local butcher owning a football club are over and the sooner fans realise this the better becuase frankly its not going to get any better indeed if we dont take heed and find someone with serious money all we older ones will have left is our memories of the good old days and the younger ones will have nothing.

I think the rules of the game will change before they allow so many clubs to go to the wall. It could be done now if we followed the rugby league model with wage caps ets. Where there is a will there is a way. The game cannot be totally divorced from its grass roots

And yes i can see a wage cap coming..i really can <_<

It just wont be allowed..(calling mr bosman) its called free trade and the day you restrict it then thats when politcians get involved and as i mentioned bosman we all know how well that turned out for football

It'll never happen

And yes i can see a wage cap coming..i really can <_<

It just wont be allowed..(calling mr bosman) its called free trade and the day you restrict it then thats when politcians get involved and as i mentioned bosman we all know how well that turned out for football

It'll never happen

It was once thought that Bosman didn't stand a chance and look what happened. The powers that be are already looking at ways of limiting foreign players so don't count your chickens all it needs is a change of law

Good for you

But its time now to live in the real world..the days of the local butcher owning a football club are over and the sooner fans realise this the better becuase frankly its not going to get any better indeed if we dont take heed and find someone with serious money all we older ones will have left is our memories of the good old days and the younger ones will have nothing.

Well thank you B)

It happened in rugby league so why not football? As soon as some of the rugs are pulled from under the likes of Chelsea the tune will change rapidly, football is not immune from market forces.

Well thank you B)

It happened in rugby league so why not football? As soon as some of the rugs are pulled from under the likes of Chelsea the tune will change rapidly, football is not immune from market forces.

Rugby league doesn't have the same amount of money involved. I just can't see it mate, it's in the FA's and The Premiership's best interests to bend over backwards for the big clubs, they won't shit on them any time soon.

Well thank you B)

Because football is much more globalized than rugby, there are a lot more countries that have been playing the sport professionally for a lot longer, and there's a hell of a lot more money to be made in football. I wouldn't be surprised if Robinho's transfer fee by itself was more than the combined wages of the entire Guinness Premiership. As I said in another post, the EPL and FA would be committing suicide if they went to a wage cap system without all of the other wealthy leagues agreeing to do so at the same time. Otherwise you'd have a mass exodus of players fleeing the EPL for the other leagues that could still offer them higher wages, and what you'd be left with in England after the dust cleared is the SPL South.

A better solution to me is to put a cap on squad sizes. Say, for instance, at the senior level each team can have 22 designated squad players and 6 designated reserves. Squad players can play in reserve games for fitness, but reserves can't be called up to the squad except under limited circumstances, and if a reserve is called up more than a certain number of times in a season he either has to be added to the full squad or is immediately granted a Bosman and becomes free to leave for another club at any time. If a club already has 22 players on the squad and they want to sign someone else, they have to make room first - either by cutting a player outright (and either buying out his contract or continuing to pay him even though he's no longer on the squad), selling someone, sending someone out on loan, or demoting someone to the reserves (if there's room).

A cap on squad sizes has multiple benefits:

*It wouldn't stop the biggest clubs from buying up a bunch of all-stars, but it would put a crimp in their ability to hoard talent. You wouldn't have quite as many Steve Sidwells wasting away on the bench at those clubs when they could still be valuable players at other clubs.

*It's much less likely to run afoul of the courts than a wage cap or a nationality quota (you aren't limiting anyone's earning power or their ability to work across borders, only the total number of jobs that your "company" is hiring for), and the EPL teams would still be able to compete with other leagues for top talent no matter if the other leagues followed their model or not.

*It would make it harder for players like Berbatov to force their way onto those clubs against their current team's wishes.

*You could scrap the transfer window, which everyone hates anyway.