IGNORED

Man Of The Match V Stoke

MikeO

Man Of The Match v Stoke  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Obviously false votes will be disregarded.

• Tim Howard
    • Phil Neville
    • Joseph Yobo
    • Phil Jagielka
    • Joleon Lescott
    • Segundo Castillo
    • Marouane Fellaini
    • Tim Cahill
    • Mikel Arteta
    • Aiyegbeni Yakubu
    • Victor Anichebe
    • Jack Rodwell
    • James Vaughan :)

pollresizear5.jpg

Current Player of the Year standings....

Osman 25

Arteta 25

Cahill 20

Neville 12

Baines 11

Anichebe 10

Yakubu 7

Castillo 6

Baxter 4

Vaughan 4

Yobo 3

Fellaini 2

Valente 2

Howard 1

Jagielka 1

Rodwell 1

MOTM winners....

Stoke City (A)...Tim Cahill

Blackburn (H)...Mikel Arteta

West Brom (A)...Leon Osman

Portsmouth (H)...Leighton Baines

I voted for Cahill. So good to see him back and up to his old tricks again. Anichebe had a good game too. Bit disappointed with Felliani, didn't seem to really get into the game, gave the ball away a bit as well, probably just needs some time to settle in though.

It was really good to see Jagielka back in the centre and Lescott on left, defence was much better than in previous weeks.

All in all happy with the result. Hopefully the new boys can settle in and we can get Cahill, Ossie and Pienaar back to full fitness quickly, and I think we'll soon be back to winning ways.

Was good to see him back, with all that he adds to our team, but honestly thought he was quite quiet today apart from his goal. Think it'll be a few games before we see the best of him again.

I went for Castillo earlier on. Thought he was generally neat and tidy on the ball, broke up most of Stoke's attacks (that didn't come from throw ins) and was always looking to get involved.

Edited by DonKey

I voted for Cahill. So good to see him back and up to his old tricks again. Anichebe had a good game too. Bit disappointed with Felliani, didn't seem to really get into the game, gave the ball away a bit as well, probably just needs some time to settle in though.

Tim played excellent today, really good to see him back in the Everton team. Castillo comes close, knowing that this was his first Premiership game, first Everton start against a team that were hungry for points. I think he and Anichebe could have easily got my vote today. I've always thought Vic was lazy and useless of late, I hope he can build on his performance today and be a good youngster for us.

I thought Vic would do well in midfield, big and strong good position for him methinks. I got the match report from TeamTalk for anyone that wants it, really please with the work that VA but in today.

Goals from Ayegbeni Yakubu and Victor Anichebe had given Everton a two-goal advantage before Rory Delap's long throw-ins caused panic in the Toffees' rearguard. Seyi Olofinjana's volley and an own goal from Phil Jagielka pulled Stoke level courtesy of assists from Delap before Cahill broke Potters hearts. The game's first chance arrived after 12 minutes following a flowing Stoke attack The ball was worked out to Liam Lawrence on the right wing and he slid a pass through to Ricardo Fuller, whose low, first-time shot across goal was pushed out by a strong Tim Howard hand before being smothered by the American at the second attempt. It was a scrappy, frantic first-half after that with neither team able to keep possession of the ball for long and it took a piece of brilliance from Yakubu to break the deadlock.

Yakubu calmly stroked home his third goal of the season on 41 minutes to give Everton the lead after a clever reverse pass by Mikel Arteta to Cahill created confusion inside the Stoke penalty area. Cahill laid the ball into Yakubu's path and his quick footwork created the space to steer home a left-footed effort into the bottom corner from 18 yards. Everton made a perfect start to the second half - doubling their lead on 51 minutes through Anichebe. Mikel Arteta's free-kick from the right was helped on his way by Anichebe at the near post and into the far corner. But Stoke hit back almost immediately with Olofinjana's first goal for the club. Delap's long throw was punched out by Howard straight to the midfielder, who sent his volley crashing into Everton goal. Ricardo Fuller had the ball in the net on the hour mark but his goal was ruled out for foul on Joseph Yobo. But moments later Stoke were level after another missile-like throw-in from Delap was headed into his own net by Jagielka.

Everton were denied a penalty on 73 minutes when Leon Cort's handball in the penalty area was punished with a free-kick. Referee Alan Wiley initially pointed to the spot, but after a discussion with his assistant he awarded the visitors a free-kick on the edge of the box. But Everton got their noses in front on 77 minutes when Cahill met Arteta's corner with a powerful header at the front pos

Edited by dark

After watching the highlights last night, I've sat here this morning and watched the game right through and i must say its difficult to pick a MOTM.

I've ruled out the Goalie and the whole back line because they played like nervous amateurs everytime Stoke put the ball into the Box, have ruled out all of the middle line cos Arteta, altho he was involved with the goals was only average today, Fellaini and Castillo played like Strangers and both where unsure if they should be playing defensive or attacking, so i think there is only room for one of them when Pienaar is back, have also ruled out Cahill because altho he scored the winner i didnt see him do much more for the midfield, but i will make allowances for the fact that it was his 1st game for 6 months and i'm just glad we have another player back from injury.

That leaves the forwards for me to choose from, Yakubu did what he is good at and made a bit of space for himself and scored a very good goal.

But for the all round improvement in his game, scored a goal, plus a bit more workrate than i have seen before i give my MOTM award to Victor Anichebe, he played a lot better than i have seen before, so lets hope he continues improving and gets many more MOTM awards.

to me thats what cahill has done since he got here, he blends into play nicely, doesnt set the world alight as he isnt gunna take players on, but he very rarely gives the ball away and runs all game for us. but defenders get so nervous around him he makes space for the yak and very often grabs the winner. hes still our best player by a mile imo. id love to see a full season of him and the yak

to me thats what cahill has done since he got here, he blends into play nicely, doesnt set the world alight as he isnt gunna take players on, but he very rarely gives the ball away and runs all game for us. but defenders get so nervous around him he makes space for the yak and very often grabs the winner. hes still our best player by a mile imo. id love to see a full season of him and the yak

I'm not far behind you there in my admiration of him Steve, its his enthusiasm its infectious, he cheers up all those round him, other players seem to try that bit harder. The only slight problem with him is he's more suited to 4 5 1 than 4 4 2 but I'll forgive him that Timmy the Talisman rules

I can't find the posts but there were several people on here saying things like if we were to play a 4-4-2 they would rather see timmy coming off the bench. That is pure nonsense and shows just how quickly people forget how good someone can be whilst they are out injured. This is what i believe has happened with Saha. On the topic of Saha, when he gets fit how would people like to see him used? what sort of formation could we fit him into?

I can't find the posts but there were several people on here saying things like if we were to play a 4-4-2 they would rather see timmy coming off the bench. That is pure nonsense and shows just how quickly people forget how good someone can be whilst they are out injured. This is what i believe has happened with Saha. On the topic of Saha, when he gets fit how would people like to see him used? what sort of formation could we fit him into?

Ask that question in the appropriate Saha topic. http://www.toffeetalk.com/Saha-No-Pay-No-P...ort-t13183.html

This topic is for MOTM. and has got nothing to do with Saha.

I'm not far behind you there in my admiration of him Steve, its his enthusiasm its infectious, he cheers up all those round him, other players seem to try that bit harder. The only slight problem with him is he's more suited to 4 5 1 than 4 4 2 but I'll forgive him that Timmy the Talisman rules

im happy to play 451, as i think he plays more as a forward than a midfielder anyway. tim is more of a threat than any of our other forwards imo (only got to wait till saha is fit to see if he can challenge tc but i doubt it)