IGNORED

Uefa Cup

big gorgeous

We all would like to be successful in any competition we take part in, however would it really be that big a disaster if we failed to get past Liege next week???

With the UEFA cup being renamed the Europa league next year, would making this years competition be as relevant as winning the Fairs Cup or the Inter City cup in the past?

Lets be honest, these competitions are now confined to history, with bragging rights reserved for current competitons only.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a new trophy to go with the new name?

There would be the obvious slight financial advantage to a long run in the competiton, but on a purely footballing basis a win in the UEFA cup would probably be devalued in the not so distant future.

Winning a cup is winning a cup, doens't matter the name. Silverwear is silverwear.

Winning the Eufa Cup would be huge for us and would help us attract bigger and better players.

It would be a massive blow to the club, the fans, te players, the manager, if we where to go out against Liegue next week.

IMO it would be a disaster to go out so early. We need Europe to sustain our reputation, to sustain our image and more importantly to most likey maintain our best players and manager.

Going out of Europe would be a HUGE blow, no other way to look at it. At all.

With the UEFA cup being renamed the Europa league next year, would making this years competition be as relevant as winning the Fairs Cup or the Inter City cup in the past?

Lets be honest, these competitions are now confined to history, with bragging rights reserved for current competitons only.

By which logic our Cup Winners Cup win in '85 is a meaningless irrelevence because it no longer exists.

And it was the Inter Cities Fairs Cup....one competition, not two, that was renamed UEFA in 1971.

To put it as nicely as I can....you are talking bollox ;) .

I take your points lads, and i agree silverware is silverware.

However i think UEFA are driving the competition towards being a poor mans champions league. Hence the reason i think its devalued. When we won the Cup Winners Cup, there is no doubt all the european trophies had a certain prestige, in fact at that time we were considered the best team in Europe, and didnt get our chance to prove it. I believe a major contributing factor is the fact that the 4th placed team in each league gets into the premium competition now, and in some cases win it, has brought about this decline. I think that this move by UEFA further devalues what was once a higly prestigious trophy.

Dont get me wrong, i would love to see us beat Liege, and have a great run, but i am reacting to the news released today.

First off, it was actually announced at least a week ago about the rebranding of the Uefa Cup.

Secondly, the Uefa Cup, no matter what you call it, has always, and will always, be a "poor mans champions league" no matter what you call it, no matter how you dress it. It will never be as big, because the teams are not as big. Its not been "driven" there like you suggest. Its already there, parked up nice and tight and the engine is already cold.

I can see what you are saying, but can't help but disagree. I don't like rebranding of cups or tournaments, but we have to get used to it. Changing the name of a cup will not devalue what came before it.