IGNORED

Standard Liege (2nd Leg Away)

EFCfanatic

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heart: Standard Liege keep it simple, but so do we. We manage to keep them at bay with a strong defence and managed to end the first 45 at 0-0. Liege come back out in front of the home crowd looking good in attack but once again we manage to hold them off, luckily were keeping Yakubu and Saha fit for the last ten minutes and in the 80+ minute Saha/Yakubu slam home to put us 3-2 ahead. We keep the pressure off us and progress through into the group.

Head: Standard Liege keep it simple before slamming home thier first before half time, 20 minute mark just to let us know that our defence hasn't improved, we can't come back and head into half-time 1-0 down. We come out, looking really strong but Liege nick another 2-0. We switch off, lose all moral and sense of gameplan and give away silly chances. We scrap a goal late on but its not enough as we lost 2-1 on the night.

I don't even want to think about this game at the moment. The players clearly do not have the mental strength to raise there games enough for important matches like we could last year. There is no way we could pull off something like we did in the Fiorentina game.

I hold no hope for this match. It could be bad times for us at the moment. Next few games are Standard ( which we will lose), Newcastle at home (whch we HAVE to win, but have failed to win at home all year, the Arsenal away and then MAn Utd at home. Both f which we will lose. Terrifing. We will be in relegation zone by November. Not saying we'll stay there, but we WILL be there by Nov.

I hold no hope for this match. It could be bad times for us at the moment. Next few games are Standard ( which we will lose), Newcastle at home (whch we HAVE to win, but have failed to win at home all year, the Arsenal away and then MAn Utd at home. Both f which we will lose. Terrifing. We will be in relegation zone by November. Not saying we'll stay there, but we WILL be there by Nov.

:unsure:

Remember the saying? The team that is bottom by Christmas will go down...

Have to agree with you Jamie mate its not looking great tbh, the only hope i have is that either the Leige or Newscastle game could give us that boost we desperately need.

We should beat Newcastle. I mean look at thier faults:

-Bad Background

-Bad Atmousphere

-Bad Previous Years

-No Sign Of Silverware

-Crap Team

It's just a real shame we could tick all those boxes..

A team thats well organised and can play some nice football with lots of players on form, against a team that has no organisation and is a complete shambles playing shit football, and has lots of players off form.

Standard 3-1. i dont even dream we can win this one, be prepared for our season to be almost over before its begun.

Guest blueboy122

Dont Be Soft All This Talk Of Relegation! I Expect A Great Perfromance From Our Boys In Belgium And Us Yo Go Through! Lets Gets Behind The Boys. This Will Turn Our Season Around. We Will Be Fine In The League Aswell Not 5th But Top 8 Defoo!

This could work in our favour. They will be mindful of the fact that 0-0 sends them through, so they may be tempted to sit back and not press too much. If our lads are patient and don't throw caution to the wind in the early stages, we could end up nicking this game 1-0 with a late goal. If it's scoreless after, say 65 minutes, then I'd like our chances.

I wouldn't bet on Standard sitting back and play for a goalless draw. Just wouldn't fit the club's tradition and the fans would hate it.

Unbeaten at home for 34 games. I wouldn't write your chances off as it's 11 v. 11, but it'll be a tough nut to crack. De Camargo is injured and doubtful, Jovanovic is finding his form again.

Edited by FromBelgium

I wouldn't bet on Standard sitting back and play for a goalless draw. Just wouldn't fit the club's tradition and the fans would hate it.

Unbeaten at home for 34 games. I wouldn't write your chances off as it's 11 v. 11, but it'll be a tough nut to crack. De Camargo is injured and doubtful, Jovanovic is finding his form again.

Completely right. I don't think that you, Toffees, must come in Liège as already being beaten. A football match is never won or lost before having played it.

When we went to Alkmaar last year they'd never lost a European game at home (played 31), but we beat them (result which coincidentally put them out and allowed Zenit into the last 32).

Difference being that back then we were on a run of ten wins and two draws in the previous twelve games :) .

I think it'll be a draw personally, I just hope it's a high enough scoring one.

^^^

Its still that left wing that scares me. You realise how much work Pienaar did when he's gone. The amount of tracking back and tackeling he does really helpes. For one it obviously covered up the frailities in J.Lo's postioning (As in he always drifts inside and leaves the flanks unguarded) and Baines is fairly poor defensivly. I can't wait for him to get back, we need the workrate and determination from him. We at least need it from somwhere.

When we went to Alkmaar last year they'd never lost a European game at home (played 31), but we beat them (result which coincidentally put them out and allowed Zenit into the last 32).

Difference being that back then we were on a run of ten wins and two draws in the previous twelve games :) .

I think it'll be a draw personally, I just hope it's a high enough scoring one.

Also we had already qualified by that point, no pressure on us.

I had the same thought track as you at first though, in regards to the AZ record, but I still felt confident last year that we would beat them. The change this year is unbearable

The change this year is unbearable

Just thought I'd have a look back to a year ago to get a bit of perspective....interesting reading...

wank yo yo season aint it id take 4th bottom now .

mass exidus in january

artetta deserves to be playing at a better club as do a few others

were wank and were beging to relise it

rubbish

yakubu is a lazy over weight fat twit

wat i waste of 11.5 mill

We're hoofing the ball as usual and it's getting us nowhere as usual. They're playing football, I have no idea what we're playing.

wtf is going on....our defence is fuckin terrible compared to last season,

Cant really c us finishing top 6 this year we need a new central and right defender and centre mid(creative)Yobo has been terrible

I just can't understand why the defence has become an absolute joke overnight....it's the defence that is the most alarming aspect at the moment, you can't trust them to keep a clean sheet at all.

As much as the forward line is frustrating us at the mometn, even if they buck up, it will be foor nothing if the back line don't get a grip and start showing that last season was no fluke. with the players we have, there is no reason for the sudden loss of concentration for long periods, and schoolboy ball watching.

All ended (reasonably) happy ever after.....maybe Liege will be the turning point.

Live in hope.

Everton have received a dossier of information from the Belgian authorities ahead of Thursday's game against Standard Liege.

Of paramount importance is the warning: If you attempt to approach the Standard stadium or Liège town centre within a 5 km radius without a valid ticket for the football game, Belgian Police could arrest and fine you in accordance with the Belgian football law.

Seems a bit harsh :huh: .

I agree it is to a large extent, but although I strongly suspect you lot to be pretty friendly, Liège has very sad memories from the visit of Cardiff City so-called fans who ransacked the city centre and railway station (1994 if memory serves me right), not to mention how English fans went on the rampage in Charleroi at Euro 2000 and, of course, Heysel (survivor talking). Might sound stupid or patronizing, but I always advise English fans not to drink too heavily when coming over to Belgium because, however tasty and pretty cheap - the normal price for a half-pint beer in Liège should be around € 1.50 / € 1.70 - our beers are much stronger than yours and, quantities equal, get much, much more heavily to your head than the average English pint. And we all know how sparks can fly when one's had one (or twelve) too many. Add to that that there'll always be a local twit who'll want to pick up a fight and you end up with all those rather extreme measures. Precaution principle.

Edited by FromBelgium

I Dont see how that is a bit harsh Mike.

I just cant understand why some peeps will waste a lot of money and a lot of time to go over there with no chance of seeing the game, I would rather stay home and watch it on the TV.

All they do is hang around all day getting pissed and then end up causing trouble, what other reason is there to go. ??

If they just like the travelling aspect they should take a holiday there in June or July, otherwise stay at home. <_<

I Dont see how that is a bit harsh Mike.

I just cant understand why some peeps will waste a lot of money and a lot of time to go over there with no chance of seeing the game, I would rather stay home and watch it on the TV.

All they do is hang around all day getting pissed and then end up causing trouble, what other reason is there to go. ??

If they just like the travelling aspect they should take a holiday there in June or July, otherwise stay at home. <_<

Stay at home for me too. Standard will win at home.