IGNORED

Defence At Home

toffee77

Defensively there's not a lot we can do to change, it just needs improvement. Hibbert/Neville are the same RB's from last year, same goes for Valente/Baines/Lescott on the left, and jags and yobo center. Yes it is shocking but at the end of the day these players are the same that got us to 5th last year.

I personally think the lack of competition at the back, Lescott's constant selection for left back even though we have 2 spare, and jas and yobo as our only center half's means that they know there is noone else and so have becoming complacent. Last year we were fighting for 4th and came close, they expected in the summer that we would get in more players of high quality threatening for 1st team action, defensively that hasn't happened. If Yobo and Jags got injured, we'd be fielding rodwell and lescott every game, so they know they don't have to work hard to play 1st team football. That being said Jags is working his arse off, and Yobo is a solid player who needs to work a bit harder. we have the options and the strength to keep clean sheets, we just need the confidence to know that we're capable of that. that's what's lacking and they know it. How long til they do something about it is the key.

The tactic of the defense hoofing the ball up the field every time the ball comes near them isn't helping things either because the ball is constantly coming back at them therefore putting them under a lot of pressure.

^Agreed. We need to build from the back. When the LB and RB get the ball we need to make simple passes. I hate to say it but like Liverpool. The number of times that they pass the ball back to Carragher and build from it, sometimes even having 30 or more passes before shooting but with hoofing it's never going to work. I mean we should get the ball work our way slowly up the field and then look to find an opening. Hoofing is for when we are 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go.

Lets be honest we all know with the players we have we are never going to play the most attractive passing football like arsenal etc.

However we seem to have gone backwards and now seem to punt the ball long at every chance, and without having a strong target man to hold it up it ends up coming back to us with interest.

I think it is all down to confidence, the boys at the back are so scared of making a mistake they just end up getting rid of it asap without looking for a man, hate to say it but we are starting to play like England have for the past 5 years.

The good teams and even some of the bad teams are now wise to that way of playing in the prem, and especially in europe as they keep the ball even better.

I would sooner we lose a goal by trying to play football than watching a game like saturday where we I think Howard, Joseph, and Jags touched the ball more than any other player on our team.

We have the players to play a good game, just need someone to take the game by the scruff of the neck and play it simple. God how we miss Carsley!!!!!!!

Maybe it comes down to the fact that are back four carnt pass or control a ball properly....... It doesnt help when your team mates in midfield dont want the ball... Cahill on saturday didnt even face the ball let alone offer himself for the pass.......... thats something you learn as a scoolboy.....

Castillio looked confident and actually went looking to take the ball of the center backs...... if you have a few defenders who carnt play football thats what you have to do...... EDIT:- (before you say................. not saturday.. im not that daft)

thats why you pay millions for the likes of Terry / Ferdinand.. the lads can at least pass and control a football.............

I know with confidence this improves but it only covers up the cracks..... Or in Phills case..........................................................

Edited by DangerMouse