IGNORED

Video Game Thread

dark

QUALITY!

the first touches have improved alot, the quality of goals is good, ive just scored a outside of the boot one with drogba.

You have to time your headers or you will header backwards

You can press certain buttons after you scored for certain celebrations e.g. the robot.

thats what ive noticed after one game anyway

Thanks for that Everton Lad. I knew already that you could do your own celebrations. That was also in the Euro 2008 (which I have played) I didn't know about the first touch though. It seems that the game feels better. I want a game that really challenges me, in terms of the heading you mentioned but I want to be able to score the odd goal from outside the box.

Can't wait for Friday. Getting ready to buy now!

Out of intrest how did the game go? Score, Teams, Conditions?

it was only a demo, so it was all set, couldnt change much really. Noticed real madrid still had robinho tho.

it was played at wembely and there were no alternatives.

On the PC a few years back they had Yakubu when we bought him.

Yeah the demo's dont really let you change much. But they give you a good feel for what the game is like. What were the two teams then Chelsea and Real Madrid?

“The bottom line is that this is a brilliantly presented, fluidly playable game of football overflowing with new features.”

SCORE: 9/10

PlayStation® Official Magazine

UK – October 2008

For the record here is the new features that EA are telling us -

Polished, refined gameplay - Featuring 250 additions and enhancements to core gameplay, including new animation technology that creates more responsive first-time shooting and passing, faster and more controlled dribbling, and improved trapping, and new player momentum physics that delivers realistic player collisions, authentic jostling for the ball, and more variation in tackling.

Adidas Live Season - Dynamic update of player information in-game that mirrors real-life performances. Feel the change in gameplay performance as teams in the real world experience the highs and lows during their campaigns. All the top leagues are included: Barclay’s Premier League, La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Serie A and Mexican Primera Division.

Custom Team Tactics - Become a first-team coach with the power to tune and balance 11 tactical sliders for 140 attacking and 40 defending options (more than 50,000 combinations) so CPU players and your team perform just like the real-world team or how you think the real team should play. Save your tactics to make strategic decisions to exploit your opponent’s weaknesses during the game. Plus, share your strategies with friends online*.

Be A Pro: Seasons - Pick or create a professional player and test your ability over a four season campaign. Master a single position and develop your skills - passing, shooting, positioning, marking -to ultimately become a national legend.

Be A Pro: 10 vs 10 Online Team Play - Create your own team of up to 10 friends all playing fixed outfield positions to challenge rival teams of up to 10 players. Instead of thinking as an individual player now you have to think and play as a team.

FIFA 09 Clubs - Create your own club or simply join an existing club and compete in an organised league when playing 10 v 10 Online Team Play. FIFA 09 Clubs will determine the best virtual team in the world with up-to 50 players able to join a club. Club Managers select the team and can recruit players for their squad. Compete with friends across 15 divisions to be the best club in the world.

Improved Goalkeeper Intelligence - Goalkeepers position themselves more intelligently, react to shots more realistically and recover from saves faster.

Customised Controllers - Create your own bespoke controller configuration, save it and even take it online effortlessly. Assign actions to the buttons exactly how you like them for complete control.

Adidas Live Season - Dynamic update of player information in-game that mirrors real-life performances. Feel the change in gameplay performance as teams in the real world experience the highs and lows during their campaigns. All the top leagues are included: Barclay’s Premier League, La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Serie A and Mexican Primera Division.

Hahaha. Only 2 hours till the bloody shops open now

I've had it for about 5 hours now. Is totally brilliant. The way the players reacts to each other and the realness of the impacts needs to be seen to be believed. FYI Yakubu is our highest rated player at 84. Our team is 4 and a half stars, man u and chelsea are the only 5 star premier league teams and ronaldo is the highest rated player at 91

And by the way, put Fellaini in the middle of the park and he is unstoppable. In contested situations this year the bigger and stronger player wins almost every time. So when their goalkeeper launches his goal kick to the middle of the park all 6 foot 4 of fellaini with his 89 for aggression knocks it back into your attacking area every time.

I've had it for about 5 hours now. Is totally brilliant. The way the players reacts to each other and the realness of the impacts needs to be seen to be believed. FYI Yakubu is our highest rated player at 84. Our team is 4 and a half stars, man u and chelsea are the only 5 star premier league teams and ronaldo is the highest rated player at 91

What about Phil Neville :P

And by the way, put Fellaini in the middle of the park and he is unstoppable. In contested situations this year the bigger and stronger player wins almost every time. So when their goalkeeper launches his goal kick to the middle of the park all 6 foot 4 of fellaini with his 89 for aggression knocks it back into your attacking area every time.

Looking foreward to this game now more than ever. I'm going to the shop tomorrow and picking it up. The tall players will really come into the play this season. I like to play the start with Everton until I get bored and I'll try something new. I always end up taking charge of Chelsea and Manchester United just so I can make huge signings. By the sounds of it this addition could put Pro Evoulution to death.

The attention to detail throughout never fails to impress, whether it's the score boxes that are tailored for each different league, the excellent commentary track from Sky Sports's Andy Gray and Martin Tyler or the improved player likenesses. Each major team has its fans' chants reproduced -- find yourself in command of Chelsea and you'll hear 'From Stamford Bridge to Wembley', and bring Manchester United out at Old Trafford and you'll hear a chorus of 'Glory, Glory, Man United'.

-IGN

I've always liked that chant thing and I'm glad that it's returned in 09. I always liked being 3-0 up at Goodison and hearing 'Kopites' and 'If You Know Your History' being sung from the terraces. It was a nice little feature and one which made gameplay more fun. I was just dissapointed that they took out the feature to mock the opposition, where once you had a 3 goal lead you could string together five or six passes and start to hear your fans cheer everytime a pass was completed. I wish they could have brought that back for 09. We'll see tomorrow - I'll write a review after a few games.

I also bougt my FIFA 09 yesterday and have to tell you it´s absolutely nice and with this new features it´s really playable and much better than PES, but maybe that comes becasue I really hate PES! :lol:

And it´s true, put Fellaini in the central midfield and nobody will come around, it´s just a very funny game and with this new Online-mode it just makes more fun, it looks like good work of EA for me...

Does anybody have it on PC too and can maybe tell me his online name so I can add him and maybe play one game...??

Just pre-ordered the game from Argos this morning. Will be in the shop at 9AM onwards. In our town we have a small shop meaning we have to pre-order everything but at least it comes before Newcastle! Can't wait to get my hands on it, it does sound like a load of fun and it should kill PES after Konami's poor efforts this time round.

FIFA FTW!

Some goals already on YouTube from FIFA 09 - Post any more that you find people :)

Yakubu

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=h6_bbqJ-TE4

Riera against Everton - I know it's against us and for Liverpool but excellent over-head kick.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/915091

Cahill

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/906272

Edited by dark

Yeah lol, it really make fun...

Now I´m on the 3rd place in the ranking of Austria with only Everton playing Onlie after 5 hours gaming today, I really like it you see!^^

Our favourite players are easy to name, Fellaini and Saha I would say, Yakubu is also a good one... and in FIFA our defence look really great, mostly I win 7-1 or 5-2 in this kinds of results...

Yeah lol, it really make fun...

Now I´m on the 3rd place in the ranking of Austria with only Everton playing Onlie after 5 hours gaming today, I really like it you see!^^

Our favourite players are easy to name, Fellaini and Saha I would say, Yakubu is also a good one... and in FIFA our defence look really great, mostly I win 7-1 or 5-2 in this kinds of results...

What difficulty are you playing on and who against? 7-1 tells me Beginner & Amatuer.

Q&A Interview with EA's Paul Hossack, From Gamespot

EA Sports' long-running FIFA series is one of the last bastions for PC sports fans. Although the NHL and Madden series used to be PC stalwarts, they've fallen off the map, and for this season it doesn't look like an NBA Live entry is in the cards for EA Sports. Thankfully, if you're a PC owner with a soccer jones, FIFA 09 is still heading to a computer near you. To find out what's happening with this version of the game, we hit up EA Sports line producer Paul Hossack.

GameSpot: Let's start with last year's game. What did you like about FIFA 08 and what needed to be improved?

Paul Hossack: Gameplay changes and the introduction of the Be A Pro mode were the two most significant feature additions in FIFA 08. The gameplay changes that really stood out were depth of control and more-intelligent player movement. Be A Pro was a great game mode that let users live the experience of playing as one professional football player, and added a lot of fun social elements through the Co-Op Season tasks and player growth.

For FIFA 09, we listened to feedback from FIFA 08 fans and improved the collision system, added better support-run logic from teammates, and better positional AI for the defensive line. The most substantial feedback we got on Be a Pro - Co-Op Season was to extend the mode beyond one season, and to include the third-person Be A Pro camera from the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of FIFA 08. For FIFA 09 PC, we are happy to say we made both of those changes.

GS: With FIFA 09, you set out to create a soccer game that plays to the strengths of the PC platform. What specifically about the PC platform did you take advantage of in making FIFA 09?

EA Sports hasn't completely given up on PC sports gaming: FIFA 09 is on its way.

PH: First, the mouse is a very powerful and accurate input device. Mouse-and-keyboard controls are a great combination in FPS and RTS games. It was those games that gave us the inspiration for the great new mouse controls we added to FIFA 09 PC. This is a feature that just made sense on the PC platform. We were even able to add a control that no other control system has on any FIFA game. With the mouse, you can click on an empty spot on the pitch to get one of your teammates to run to that spot when you are attacking. When you combine that with a quick manual pass to that same spot, you can create some amazing passing build-up play.

The second PC-specific characteristic we leveraged is the fact that most PCs are online all the time. This let us invest in our online widgets, which show you relevant, real-time info about you, the FIFA community, and real-world football wherever you are in our menu systems, and they update automatically.

Finally, as PCs tend to have nice, high-resolution monitors, we put a lot of effort into improving the graphics. The biggest jump is how the players and pitch look. It's a dramatic improvement over FIFA 08. In addition to these obvious improvements, we increased the sharpness and clarity of all our menus too.

GS: Give us some insight on how the PC version of FIFA 09 has evolved alongside its console counterpart. What big features will it share with the 360/PS3 version and at what point in the dev cycle do you decide to split off and go your own way with PC-specific features?

PH: FIFA 09 PC is a true PC football game, not simply a port of a console game. That said, both FIFA 09 PC and console do share some features and did work on some similar features. On both PC and console, we did a lot of work on the physicality of the game, the responsiveness of the dribble, and adding depth to the gameplay experience. In addition, you will find the new Adidas Live Season premium service available on PC, PS3, and 360. This is an exciting new service that dynamically updates player form from six leagues every single week based on how the players performed in real-world matches. Finally, you'll find very similar versions of the Be a Pro Seasons mode on those three platforms.

The new mouse-plus-keyboard control system will give you a different way of controlling the action.

GS: This year's game will use a point-and-click control scheme. Tell us about the development of that control system, and what it allows a player to do on the pitch. Also, can you play with a console controller if you like?

PH: With "point and click" you are referring to the new mouse plus keyboard control scheme we have in FIFA 09 PC. We developed this idea by looking at other game genres that are successful on the PC. Two of the dominating PC genres are FPS and RTS games, which rely on a combination of the mouse and keyboard to control gameplay. We thought, why not put this into a PC sports game?

The user simply moves his player with the keyboard and performs passing and shooting actions with the mouse. Passing and shooting are performed by pointing and clicking with the onscreen mouse pointer. The mouse pointer can be moved very quick and is very precise, therefore the user is able to pass and shoot quickly and precisely. Other advantages of this control scheme are the ability to send players on support runs to specific spots, and to make player switches by simply clicking on specific players.

Regarding console controllers, we officially support the Xbox 360 controller and a long list of USB control pads. If I am not trying to master the new mouse-and-keyboard controls I am playing with the good old PS2 controller.

prev next

947073_20080922_screen002.jpg

947073_20080922_screen001.jpg

947073_20080922_screen006.jpg

947073_20080922_screen004.jpg

GS: Point-and-click seems like a limiting control scheme when it comes to re-creating the insane step-overs of Cristiano Ronaldo. How do you show off the strengths of your star players with such a simple control scheme?

PH: The main goal for this control scheme was to make it more intuitive for PC users while not losing any functionality. This control scheme allows players to trigger all actions with a controller, and have additional control resources available in the mouse and keyboard.

Regarding skill moves, we developed a way of mimicking foot movements by "drawing" tricks with your mouse pointer. The user can move into trick mode by clicking down the mouse wheel. This triggers a visual indicator that informs the user that the game has switched modes. In this mode, the user can simply move the mouse in the natural direction that a player's foot would move when performing a trick. For example, if you are facing to the left and want to perform a step-over to the right, you go into trick mode and move the mouse in a quarter circle from forward to right.

Star players such as Cristiano Ronaldo have player-specific tricks that no other player in the game can perform. In addition, they have player-specific animations, like Cristiano's "Cowboy Stance" while preparing for a free kick, that make them unique.

GS: What are widgets and what will they do for the FIFA 09 experience? How many widgets will we be able to choose from?

PH: Widgets can be best described as a series of small applets running within the FIFA 09 PC menus that are constantly pulling the latest and most relevant information for the gamer. In FIFA 09 PC, we provide six widgets that the user can choose from (up to five shown at a time). The user can configure the placement by dragging and dropping them. The widgets stay as you transition from screen to screen.

The widgets add a great sense of community as soon as you boot up the game. You can see how many gamers are online playing FIFA 09 right now, along with lots of other live stats.

Here's a quick description of some of the widgets:

- Online Profile: Want easy access to your online stats? Check out the Online Profile widget to view your latest online stats and ranking.

- Online Community: Check out how many people are connected or playing online matches with the Online Community widget. You can also compare your online stats to other FIFA 09 PC online gamers.

- Favourite Club: The Favourite Club widget will keep you connected to your favourite team while you play FIFA 09. View upcoming match information, results of the last match, and league tables with this widget. You can even read the latest team news right in your FIFA 09.

- Adidas Live Season: This widget displays information related to the Adidas Live Season service. You will be notified whenever a new form file is available. Once downloaded, you can dive into the details of what has changed in your game: who are the hottest/coldest players, what teams have been most impacted by positive form changes, and how your favourite club has been impacted (if it's one of the six leagues supported in Live Season).

GS: EA Sports used to make lots of PC games but, in recent years, that productivity has dropped off, seemingly due to a lack of interest. Yet FIFA keeps plugging away on the PC. What do you think makes the series attractive to PC-specific gamers?

PH: FIFA on the PC is different than other sports games namely because PC gaming is hugely influential to gaming culture outside of North America, where FIFA has a very healthy fan base. The immense popularity of football and FIFA around the world, combined with large numbers of PC gamers outside of North America, makes FIFA a natural choice to continue making specifically for the PC. We focused a lot of attention on improving the PC version of FIFA 09 this year because we wanted to satisfy our large PC fan base with a true PC football game.

GS: Traditionally the PC has been the platform of choice for management sims like FIFA Manager. Have you incorporated more simulation features into the manager mode of FIFA 09 on the PC?

PH: For FIFA 09 PC, we have refined the friendly-match negotiation process to make it more realistic and informative for the user. We have also addressed several key issues in the Manager Mode to help enhance the user experience while navigating through a very in-depth management-sim experience.

GS: What kind of online features will we find in FIFA 09? Will players be able to play 10-vs-10 as in the console games?

PH: Online gaming through the EA servers in FIFA 09 PC will be 1 v 1 gaming. Interactive League matches will be available to gamers (now with the Rivals match-up feature that helps you find more opponents), as well as creating online leagues and lobbies. FIFA 09 PC will support the new Adidas Live Season that is described in more detail above.

Finally, FIFA 09 PC supports direct IP matches and multiplayer LAN games, which allows up to eight players to LAN.

GS: Thanks for your time.

@dark, I´m playing just online mate, I always wanna play against real people and maybe bring Everton a little bit up and win a few games in the interactive leagues in the online mode... You can see the ranking when you want to play onlnie, now 2nd from Austria and 20th of the world! ;)

And yes guys, on which platform is everybody playing here???

Edited by Viennatoffee

Hey dark what platform do you play it on?

I'm will be playing on Xbox 360 when I get it tomorrow.

@dark, I´m playing just online mate, I always wanna play against real people and maybe bring Everton a little bit up and win a few games in the interactive leagues in the online mode... You can see the ranking when you want to play onlnie, now 2nd from Austria and 20th of the world! ;)

And yes guys, on which platform is everybody playing here???

Ah, I see. It just seemed that you were on a low level after only just getting the game and scoring 7 goals in a single game. I've just been on PES 2008. IO'm saying one last goodbye to it. After I get 09 I won't play it at all. Just finished a shocker of a season. For five years I have done the treble, this year, nothing. Came 3rd in the league winning no cups at all.

fifa 09 and fifa street 3 all brand new for 97p ;)

I woulden't buy Fifa Steet for 79p.

How are you doing in your season Everton Lad? I take it you have the game now, just wanting to know how your doing with your Everton Season. I'm going to post my results when I get it :)

Got it yesterday and its very good the only complaint I have is the passing... IMO its bad if you want to lay off a short pass quickly u can't because when u tap the a button the pass goes at about 5mph :( But am nit picking tbh its harder than Fifa 08 but its still a good game :D.

If anyone wants me a game just send me an invite or friend request my gamertag is Sauron22 and I will be on Fifa constantly lol :P

Also if its not me on the xbox its me brother who is Jay Bernard am sure he would have you a game on it too :P.

Edit Merged with Video Game Thread

Edited by jamiemaher85

GRID

Codemasters' racing games have been receiving makeovers as of late. The publisher earned its racing pedigree on dirt (with the Colin McRae Rally series) and on the asphalt (with numerous games, including most recently the TOCA Race Driver series). The company went on to redefine its reputation as a racing-game leader with last year's Dirt, which brought cutting-edge presentation to a wide variety of off-road racing styles: everything from traditional rally to dune-buggy racing. That same multidisciplined approach will also be a hallmark of Codies' updated asphalt race, Grid. We saw the game a few months back and have now finally had a chance to get our hands around the virtual wheel to see what Grid will have to offer.

Unfortunately, the preview code that we tried featured only a portion of what will be available in the final build of the game. Career mode was not available to us, but the build did have a brief video that introduced how the mode will work. It seems very similar to the Dirt format: You enter events, earn points for your performance, and open up new events as you go. In Grid, you earn reputation points to unlock new events, and those rep points are spread across three different geographical locales: Europe, Asia, and North America. How many reputation points you earn depends on the type of event, as well as what kind of assists you use when tackling the events, including driver assists such as traction control, stability management, and braking help.

Another crucial prerace adjustment will be the difficulty of your AI opponents, a group of computer-controlled drivers who are prone to brilliance as well as mistakes on the track, sort of like a real human driver. The game starts out on three-star-level difficulty, which is a pretty comfortable level of challenge for a veteran driver. However, if you bump it up just one degree, the cars become much more aggressive on the track, bumping you if you're too slow through a corner, and wiping out badly when they misjudge a turn. They're also canny overtakers; it isn't unusual for you to be zipping along, only to find an opponent's car ducking underneath you if you take a turn too wide. As a result, you find yourself not just looking to run clean laps but, at the higher difficultly levels, you're also constantly looking to close the door on your foes, keeping as close to the apex as possible.

The preview build of Grid on hand featured a number of different events across all three locales: a saloon car race at Jarama circuit in Spain, a street race in Tokyo, muscle-car battles in Washington D.C. and San Francisco, and so on. There was even one specialized event on hand: a drift competition set on the shipping docks in Yokohama. Here, speed isn't your concern; style takes precedence when you're drifting your car around the multitude of right-angle corners that make up the circuit, hopefully kicking up as much burnt rubber as possible. Drift success is measured by a number of factors, including the length and speed of your drift, as well as your proximity to the apex in corners, and so on.

Chaining multiple drifts together will result in higher scores through combo multipliers and, at the end of a race, you'll get a detailed breakdown of how your two-lap race event went: longest drift, biggest combo, that kind of thing. As you might expect, the cars in drift events feel quite a bit different than in the regular race events, looser, more apt to swing their rear ends out, and with short gear ratios to keep acceleration at a premium. Of course, you'd naturally expect a specialized drift car to feel different from the regular cars, but Grid seems to be doing a pretty good job of portraying the unique feel of all the cars in the game. For example, the relatively stubborn Aston Martin DB9 that you race in Milan is an entirely different beast than the BMW 320si that you drive in Spain; it's heavier and tends to understeer in fast corners.

939160_20071129_screen005.jpg

939160_20080604_screen005.jpg

939160_20080604_screen010.jpg

I like Gamespot's Reviews but has anyone got GRID themselves? Thanks In Advance