IGNORED

Video Game Thread

dark

It is a horror, and it looks a bloody good one. There's a lot more scary than that. Alone In The Dark 4 for me was a very creepy game. I'm not a big fan of zombie's jumping out at me :P

I'm going to ask for that for my birthday - 8th November, Put it in ya diaries ;)

It is a horror, and it looks a bloody good one. There's a lot more scary than that. Alone In The Dark 4 for me was a very creepy game. I'm not a big fan of zombie's jumping out at me :P

I'm going to ask for that for my birthday - 8th November, Put it in ya diaries ;)

I Would Probs Have A Heart Attack If A Zombie Jumped Out On Me !

Im Really Not A Fan Ov Any Scary Ones. Bloods Okayy. :P

I Would Probs Have A Heart Attack If A Zombie Jumped Out On Me !

Im Really Not A Fan Ov Any Scary Ones. Bloods Okayy.

Hah, yeah. I've played some games that I thought were pretty scary, but the only one to ever make me physically jump was (surprisingly) one of the Turok games. I can't remember which one, but I was pretty new to shooters then, playing at a buddy's house, and the first pack of enemies to appear in the game really gets the drop on you. Instead of getting startled and unloading all my ammo into them, I jumped in my chair... and then proceeded to clean them up pretty efficiently. My friend got a pretty big kick out of it all.

In the end though, I greatly prefer tense and creepy atmosphere to those cheap jump-out-and-scare-you routines (cheap in that they're pretty stereotypical and overused) but it sounds like this game puts both tactics to pretty good use.

943338_20081015_screen011.jpg

943338_20081015_screen011.jpg

For the first time ever... Fifa. I have always been a Pro man myself, but it just hasn't changed enough, whereas Fifa is making huge strides forwards. I've never really been to bothered about liscencing so I havn't taken any of that into consideration. But Fifa's gameplay is a real cut-above this year. I'm very impressed.

downfall for fifa - semi pro is far too easy.

professional is to much of a jump up from semi pro.

on another note, be a pro is absolute class, got my player in the first team for everton atm

I'm doing Seasons with my own character who is Martin White, a striker breaking through the ranks at Everton. I've played eleven goals for the Reserves and scored a tally of 15, the most recent game I was awarded the captancy. I'm playing on Proffessional and loving it, my only fault is that the reserve games are too easy, I mean I know I'm a striker, but my player isn't that good.

I'm growing a dislike for PES to be honest, I think they're just being lazy. Apparently PESFAN.com have been running the Official UK PES site and one of their perks as that they could send a list of improvements to Konami developers to implement based on posts rated by their users and Konami never acknowledged any. All I want is to be able to have GP in the game as home and I'm happy but they can't even do that :(.

PES v FIFA - I found a good little article here, IMO PES are lazy, and FIFA is king.

So, what follows is a chat between a PES fan (Tom) and a FIFA fan (Rich), aimed at putting the former's historical merits into the brand new context of the shiny FIFA games we got to play in Canada. The exchange below is ripped verbatim from our emails, and any suggestion that it was painstakingly stage-managed - or that we deliberately set each other up for fluid counter-points so it didn't descend into witless farce - are so far wide of the mark that Frank Lampard's feeling better already. And yes, I have done that one again. Read on, and try to believe.

Tom Bramwell: Rich, I'm going to pretend this is like one of those discussion panel things and start my first bit by introducing myself. Hi everyone! I'm Tom! Everyone thinks I'm a die-hard PES fan, presumably because I gave FIFA Road to the World Cup 2/10 and never get to review any of the others. EA is known to think I "hate FIFA". This isn't actually true, because that would be pointless. Anyway, I will now begin by diving surreally into an assertion about ball physics. You know, Rich, the way the ball behaves has been one of Pro Evolution Soccer's defining characteristics for a length of time so stupid that it's probably entitled to a government subsidy. When People's Hero Steven Gerrard sprays the ball cross-field, the way it accelerates, arcs, floats, lands and bounces all looks convincing. People often talk about PES' slow build-ups and low scorelines, and identify those as reasons the goals give players such a huge sense of elation; but I'd argue that the way the ball feels to strike contributes just as much. Based on what we saw in Canada, do you reckon FIFA can match that?

'PES vs. FIFA' Screenshot 1

Rich Melville: Yes. But before we go any further, hello Eurogamers, I am Rich. I am a FIFA fan. I am also not writing this bit of the answer because Tom's trying to make it all look nice on the page and didn't tell me that first. Suspend your disbelief. But I will be writing this bit, so, I do think FIFA can match that. The amount of research EA has put in to working out how a ball - and the air around it - works in terms of pure physics is staggering. It makes my brain hurt just thinking about it. And doesn't the ball sometimes bounce off PES players like a pinball? There's no denying the PES physics are fun, but they're not as realistic as they could be, are they? There has to be a balance between realistic physics and fun but based on what we saw, next-gen FIFA ball movement looks great. Konami will no doubt be constructing a similar system thanks to the power afforded by PlayStation 3, so there's still a lot for both EA and Konami to prove.

Tom Bramwell: In FIFA's case though, a lot of this is still theoretical. PES is fact. The pinball doesn't derail the illusion. PES6 wasn't exactly a watershed moment, I'll grant you, but a lot of the things EA told us about - varying pace to beat opponents, using tricks to create openings, stretching for the ball, slow-dribbling - can already be done in PES. The FIFA trick system also seems to have the hallmarks of "it's in the game - but only because we stapled it onto its face"; it'll need to be massaged into what they're doing very cleverly if it's to be as approachable and integrated as it has to be to work. PES though already has dozens of feints. You can flick the ball in the air, do the Marseilles turn; the "flip-flop" trick is in there. Did you see Kaka leaving the ball to Ronaldinho on the edge of the England box on Friday after we got back? I've been doing that on the Internet for a year. People always fall for it.

'PES vs. FIFA' Screenshot 2

Rich Melville: I didn't see the Kaka and Ronaldinho double act as I fell asleep due to jetlag and rosé. I know what you mean about the tricks in PES but, honestly, how often do you see them happen, especially online when play is often a race to the box or gaining a corner? There's lots of button-fiddling to be done and you get the impression that, in the heat of the moment, it's better to charge the opposition and prepare that cross rather than showing flip-flaps. Or flip-flops. Or whatever. Both players have to agree to play in a 'skilful' way for things to work, otherwise you'll be stood there farting around like a seal with a beach ball while a grunting, drooling Rooney steals the ball and barges his way to the goal, red cheeks flapping. There's strategy in PES but it's not as accessible or obvious as in FIFA, and there's going to be some people saying that in the following posts - it basically depends on how much time you invest as to which game you'll warm to.

have played both and even though not impressed as much as I would be with PES 2009 still prefer it to Fifa.

Something about fifa just can't seem to get to handle with. Can score goals and win my matches but something about the game play I don't like.

For me Pes with not having the new players at the correct club is terrible. It came out 2 weeks after Fifa and they are completely up to date I beleive.

-Exclusive UEFA Champions League Mode utilizing all the elements and attributes of the competition

Well OK, this is the biggest improvement in this years game, but its not that much. We wont be playing that much Champions League in Master League anyway, and who says that its included in the Master League?

-Improved graphics for an ultra-real experience

Not as good as FIFA's

-With smarter AI system your team mates will be constantly seeking out open space, taking intelligent lines toward the goal and on defense and also actively calling for the ball

They do that on FIFA too..

-New, more realistic camera angles for your preferred perspective of gameplay

:mellow:

-New teams, players and stadiums

Oh.

-Improvements to the fan-favorite Master League Mode – Play as one player just like in real life mastering your own ball handling and your off the ball support

Be A Pro?

-New exciting and immersive Become a Legend Mode and online playable Legends Mode will add new dimension to PES

Exiting? Somehow I dont feel the grab

-Updated rosters from your favorite club and national teams

Same as every year then?

-Using a supported USB camera, import data to create your own player or team emblems

We could do that last year.

-Great improvements in ball control, passing and your teammates reactions are more in tune with how teammates react in real life

That sounds kinda' cool, but FIFA did it years ago.

-Exclusive UEFA Champions League Mode utilizing all the elements and attributes of the competition

Well OK, this is the biggest improvement in this years game, but its not that much. We wont be playing that much Champions League in Master League anyway, and who says that its included in the Master League?

-Improved graphics for an ultra-real experience

Not as good as FIFA's

-With smarter AI system your team mates will be constantly seeking out open space, taking intelligent lines toward the goal and on defense and also actively calling for the ball

They do that on FIFA too..

-New, more realistic camera angles for your preferred perspective of gameplay

:mellow:

-New teams, players and stadiums

Oh.

-Improvements to the fan-favorite Master League Mode – Play as one player just like in real life mastering your own ball handling and your off the ball support

Be A Pro?

-New exciting and immersive Become a Legend Mode and online playable Legends Mode will add new dimension to PES

Exiting? Somehow I dont feel the grab

-Updated rosters from your favorite club and national teams

Same as every year then?

-Using a supported USB camera, import data to create your own player or team emblems

We could do that last year.

-Great improvements in ball control, passing and your teammates reactions are more in tune with how teammates react in real life

That sounds kinda' cool, but FIFA did it years ago.

God You Done Ya Homework Lol. :P

PES Review, Gamespot

Although Pro Evolution Soccer fans bought last year's game in droves, it was unfortunately an all-time low for the series on the PlayStation 3. Poor graphics, dreadful presentation, and basic online play failed to make the most of the hardware, and it was a step back in gameplay terms. Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 doesn't completely redress the balance, but it's a step in the right direction, with new game modes, an improved editor, and even a Champions League licence. Additionally, this is a more enjoyable game to play thanks to its slower pace, more responsive control system, and simple passing mechanic. Unfortunately these are only small fixes, and though there's a solid game at the core, it's one that still fails to keep up with the times.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 continues the series’ accessible and deep gameplay. A couple of key changes bring the gameplay back toward Pro Evo 6, which should make fans of the series feel right at home. The overall pace has been reduced this year, and the ball feels heavier, both of which mean that it's easier than ever to link passes. The game is also incredibly fluid when you're trying to link together through-balls and crosses, and moving the ball around generally feels more natural and instinctive than before. However, football is an unpredictable game, and this is something that Pro Evo 2009 really struggles to capture. Part of this is down to the animation system, which lets players change direction quickly but looks outdated and overly procedural. Run a player down the wing and you'll see his animation routine repeating over and over, and though a fast player can outrun a slower one, there's no real sense of physical tussling in midfield. This year's players bounce off of goalposts and one another, but famous players such as Rooney and Ronaldinho have none of their other defining physical qualities.

Although the gameplay has merely been given a face-lift, a number of game modes are completely new for this year. At the top of the list is the new Champions League mode, which means that Europe's biggest club tournament is included with some of its key teams and sponsors. This is quite a boon for Konami, who have long failed to secure any official competitions for the series. The Champions League mode is not only given prime position on this year's main menu, but it's also given the full TV-style presentational treatment. You get the same dramatically shot videos, replays, and banner ads that adorn the TV presentation of the competition, and most crucially, Handel’s “Zadok the Priest” features throughout. It's quite a refreshing change from previous games that have had an unofficial feel to them, but it's not perfect; only 13 teams from this year's competition are included in their official capacity. Key squads such as Arsenal and Chelsea are still called "North London" and "London FC," and are listed outside of the official Champions League roster.

The other major addition is the Become a Legend mode, in which you concentrate on an individual player rather than an entire team. You create your own player from scratch, choosing his height, weight, and facial details, even his celebration routines and likelihood of injury. You can also scan your own face if you have a PlayStation Eye camera, but the game just sticks your face on top of an existing model. This means that you need to adjust the skin tones on both the model and the photo to attain some sort of parity, and even then the results look oddly disjointed. That said, there's an absolute wealth of options to tweak, and it's great to see yourself score a goal in the game.

Ultimately, though, Become a Legend is a novel but rather boring take on the standard game. You spend most of the time running around off the ball, while midfield players will need to constantly chase down attackers while forwards will have to help score goals. Unlike the similar Be a Pro mode in FIFA 09, there's no incentive for actually performing your job on the pitch, given that you're not rewarded for your individual passing and tackling. If your team is scoring goals and winning games, then you'll be able to move to new teams, which means that your AI teammates become stronger along the way. The online version of Legend is much better because it does reward people for making successful passes and tackles, and the score multiplies the longer you hold on to the ball. The downside is that it only offers support for up to four players, and you have to play against an AI opponent.

The lack of official licences is something that Pro Evo fans should be used to by now, so it’s good that the edit mode has become even more extensive. You can manually edit everything from individual players and teams to stadiums and competitions, and if you spend a bit of time, you can update all of your favourite teams and leagues. Seeing "Yorkshire Orange" instead of "Hull City" can make any suspension of disbelief much harder, so it's worth doing. Even better, you can now import your own images and photos via USB memory stick or the PlayStation Eye camera. This still results in some funny-looking player faces, but it works well on club emblems.

Konami has clearly put some work into presentation this year, and though the results are still far from stylish, they are definitely trying. The menu system has been given a pop art/Gilbert & George overhaul that may look dated, but it certainly differentiates in the world of commercial sports games. The sound is atrocious, with generic music for the menus and what is without doubt the worst commentary yet. The duo of John Champion and Mark Lawrenson have unwisely tried to inject some humour into this year's proceedings, saying things like, "This match will end in defeat for one party, and in a party for the other." Even worse, they make frequent factual inaccuracies, praising defenders who haven't even touched the ball or midfielders who made passes that went straight to the opposing team. There are also no trophies for the PS3 version, which is a shame because the Xbox 360 version does feature achievements.

Last year's online mode was laggy, simple, and prone to connection dropout, and though it was updated postrelease, it never reached the state that it really should have. This year's game is better, but it's still lacking on both features and performance. The registration process involves separate IDs for both the game and Konami, and even when you get into the online mode, it's a confusing collection of menus and options. Servers are split by language, probably because you can text chat in the lobby before a game, and then each lobby has a maximum player count of 100. You can challenge individual players to matches or pair up automatically with the quick-match option, but getting into an online game still requires much more time and effort than it should. Lag is also a problem, with balls that act erratically and players that transport from one location to another. Strangely, this seemed to afflict the standard 1-versus-1 online mode rather than it did the four-player Legends mode.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 is a good game, but it's one that has significantly failed to evolve over the last few years. The new modes add some potential interest for owners of last year’s game, but the Champions League is just flashy dressing for a competition that still doesn't feature all of the official teams, and the Become a Legend mode is neither as feature-packed nor as fun to play as FIFA 09's equivalent. If you love Pro Evolution Soccer's gameplay and simple control system then this year's game is worth checking out, but everyone has a right to demand much more from Konami's increasingly stale series.

bioshockpwnpf1.jpg

Last week, a YouTube user posted what he claimed was the teaser trailer for BioShock 2. Allegedly from the just-released PlayStation 3 version of the game, the spot showed a now-older Little Sister holding a doll resembling a big daddy. As she receded into the distance, silhouettes appearing to be art deco skyscrapers rose from the sand before the trailer cuts to a barnacle-encrusted logo for "BioShock 2: Sea of Dreams."

After being reticent for seven days, today 2K Games finally came clean, releasing the trailer to the public. Viewable and downloadable in HD on GameSpot, the game is also available from the official BioShock 2 site and on Xbox Live Marketplace. Another version will go live on the PlayStation Network sometime today.

Given that the BioShock 2 trailer is available for download on two consoles and the PC, it seems a forgone conclusion that it will be available on all three platforms. However, 2K rep Charlie Sinhaseni was somewhat cagey about the details, saying only "BioShock 2 is destined for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC platforms." Reps would not comment on whether or not the game would be released on all three simultaneously

For me BioShock is one of my favourite ever Xbox 360 titles. I absolutely love it. I like the way they combined the cartoon-style world of Rapture and turned turned the cute little sisters and everything else on its head to create a great horror game. It was very, very weird and that is why I liked it. Up until the last chapter the player was still obvlivious to the real reason behind Rapture, Atlas and everything else. Slowly, slowly things were revealed but enough to keep me playing. I can't wait for the next edition. IMO BioShock deserved the 9.0 that Gamespot gave it, along with every other honour it's been awarded.

Czech gaming site Hrej.cz posted new information about Bioshock 2 which cames from some unnamed source within 2k Games. According to the source Bioshock 2 is now in pre-preproduction phase and 2k plans to release it in summer 2009. According to Hrej at this stage of development they are trying to focus on storyline and graphic design. Plot will be set before events from original game. So it looks like Bioshock 2 will be a prequel and we will wittness more about the fall of underwater utopia.

A Take-Two representative has confirmed to Shack News that Ken Levine will be involved in the BioShock 2 project in some capacity, saying "[Levine] is critical to BioShock." Reassuring news, though it's still unclear how closely Levine will be working with the 2K Marin studio during development, especially since he almost certainly has his own new projects to work on with his team at 2K Boston.

steinman.jpg

bd2.jpg

cohen3.jpg

ps.jpg

plane.jpg

hny.jpg

Gears Of War for me was like a failed Halo. I listened to the hype and got it for Christmas 2007, hated it and didn't play it much. The camera sucked and Fenix was annoying to play as. But when I forgot about all the hype and just took it as a normal game I loved it. I'm playing now and am in Level 3. I coulden't bare to see a game go to waste like Gears was doing. I'm concidering even picking up GOW2 now.

How's everyone doing with FIFA 09?

I'm still in my first season with Everton in 3rd, 5 points behind Portsmouth at the top, 3 points from Chelsea in second and 4 points clear of Manchester United, Liverpool are having a terrible season and are in 18th. I'm in January now with the window time running out. Two weeks to go. I've signed Scholes, Obi Mikel, Fabregas and Sorenson. Sorenson is a Danish Striker from the FC Copenhagen Acadamy, not the old Aston Villa/Stoke City goalkeeper.

I got knocked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd Round losing 2-0 to Hull City. But I managed to get the Carling Cup into the Cabinet. I won that today against Manchester City after defeating Manchester United, in the semi's 4-1 on aggregate. The final started real bad for me. A harmless cross was tapped towards goal from Lars Jacobsen but Tim Howard slipped and missed the ball, it rolled into the net giving the City a 7th minute lead.

I managed to fire back with a 32nd Obi Mikel strike from a few yards out, leaving Joe Hart stunned. A minute later and a slip from Richard Dunne allowed Yakubu to pick up the loose ball at the middle of the pitch, un-marked and un-challenged he slotted the ball home to put Everton into the lead for 2-1. After the break Yakubu scored in the 50th minute to give some breathing space. Phil Neville headed in from a corner five mintues later to give Everton the win. Joseph Yobo sliced the ball into his own net in the 95th minute but Everton held on to win the cup 4-2.

They made a game for the Xbox 360 called Silent Hill: Homecoming which get really negative reviews and didn't do the Silent Hill name any good. I liked the Silent Hill: Room the best, in which you woke up to find your apartment door has been chained up and you are being held prisoner in your very own apartment. I liked the way that that story flowed, and it was a real nice concept.

The Homecoming game came out on October 1st 2008, so I can't see them releasing another for a few more months. I would expect, if it's not rushed a Q2 2010 release. Which would give the team time to go back and do it right. I hope that 'Team Silent' do the game, because since Double Helix games have took the reigns the franchise has taken a nose-dive.

Xbox 360 owners can already try out Call of Duty: World at War’s multiplayer beta and soon PC gamers will get their chance as well. There’s no specific start time listed for the beta to go live as of yet, but if you head on over to the official website you can sign-up to take part.

All registered users, including those who sign up after the beta starts, will be given a key that enables them to create a unique profile name and play. Users will be able to host their own servers during the test. However characters and experience points will be deleted at the end of the beta, so you'll have to start again when the retail version is released.

Along with this announcement, it was revealed that the PC version of the game will introduce friends lists and an invite system, similar to what is usually seen in console titles. The game is due out in a little over three weeks, on November 14, for Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Wii, PS2 and DS. In the meantime, you can check out this Call of Duty: World at War multiplayer beta hands-on from the Xbox 360 version

I haven't got COD so I'm not that interested, but I found this little article which may come in handy Adam.

Fallout looks like a good game. I think OXM gave it an 8/10, might of been 9. It's an RPG which always sounds interesting but I don't like the way in which it is laid out, some of the screen shots show differant damage to differant body parts, I'm not really bothered about that. I'm going to ask on another forum and see what comes back because I too don't know much about it.

Dead Space looks amazing, getting it soon, either 8th November for birthday or might just buy it, got £60. £5 for the cinema tomorrow and then the rest will be gaming fund (and converse :)) OXM game it a 9/10 saying that the only thing wrong with it was for a 'horror' game it wasn't scary at all, more just random dead bodies jazzed up into HD to scare the playskool kids.

Posted a few screenies of Dead Space on Page 5. Take a look :)

I've just been looked at Fallout 3 on Gamespot, and it's looking like a good game. It's sounding like a copy of Oblivion just in 2277 AD, rather than BC. The role-playing game is set into the future and looking at people's posts on the forums it sounds like you can have some good experiances with it.

I had an interesting moment yesterday playing Fallout 3. I traveled to Wilhelm's Wharf and entered the sewers. I dealt with the ghouls down there with no trouble and then I arrived at the publishing building that made the Grognak comics. I found the printing room and to my surprise, saw mutiple Frag Mines set up, ghouls getting shot down by turrets, and a guy in a Brahmin-Skin Outfit wielding a Minigun. After I disarmed the mines blocking my passage and destroying the Mk.3 Turrets, I walked around the walkway to check for stuff. Then the Minigun bastard began firing at me. I quickly took him out with the Chinese Assault Rifle (Mind you, I am still wearing the Armored Vault Suit and my shit is not in great condition.) Eventually, I killed him and made my way up to the control room where he was (I shoot him through the opening that looks out to the printing room). I took his Minigun and additional ammunition and left the building out to the wastelands. Upon exiting, three Talon Mercs begin attacking me. It took a bit of work, but I killed the three mercs. I turn a bit to the left and I see 3 Super Mutants charging at me. Turns out the 6-7 Super Mutants who were in the lot below me and the Talons Mercs were alerted by the gunshots and decided to see what was going on. So now, I have to handle 6 Super Mutants and a Super Mutant Brute single-handedly with my 10mm SMG, Chinese Assault Rifle, Assault Shotgun with only one clip, and barely any healing items. I somehow survived all of the enemies (Mind you, they had Hunting Rifles, Assault Shotguns, Assault Rifles, and one of them even had a Minigun.) and ended that battle with only 70 rounds for my SMG, 3 slits of health, and addicted to 5 different drugs. I saw this to meet the requirements of fast traveling.

The game has recieved 9.0 from Gamespot and some of the screenies are starting to look amazing. Sounding hypocritical I know, but I've spent a good hour researching this game and I'm hooked. Here's what Gamespot said for 'The Good'

-Freedom to explore what you want, when you want

-Fantastic, intricate quests can be completed in a variety of satisfying ways

-VATS combat system results in all sorts of tense and gruesome encounters

-Outstanding art design makes for a desolate DC

-Rewarding mixture of excitement and atmospheric exploration.

...and 'The Bad'

-The story and characters can feel a bit sterile

-Combat feels mildly clunky.

Can see why the game got 9.0. The story and character being sterile can be over-comed with a bit of imagination. I mean, you could say the same with Oblivion, all the people were the same but with some imagination you could make them unique.

The combat may be clunky, but after getting used and with being hooked on the story I'm sure this can be overcome. Will get Dead Space, GRID & Pure for my birthday and spend my money on Fallout 3, am on the last mission of Gears Of War (started last Monday) so will have a fresh game to complete.

Just been having a blitz on the new Motogp game. It's absolutely fantastic, really challenging. I was playing on Legend (hardest) last year and was winning races by a clear 10-20 seconds. This time I'm third and fourth, sometimes getting a win by 3 seconds. My best is in Mugello where I beat Barbera by 4.

Capcom's improved the steering and feel for the game. It's more lifelike, and the HUD is all what it is on the TV making it all the more enjoyable. I signed with a crap 125cc team and managed to end the season with 2 wins, 4 poles and finishing in 8th. Crashing out of 4 races.

Moved to a 250cc team and managed to improve. 3 wins, 4 poles and finished 4th. Crashing out of 2 races - this put me on good running for a MotoGP team. San Carlo, Honda LCR, Kawasaki and Alice all wanted to sign me up, I chose Kawasaki and am underway in the season 2010. Am 2nd in the leaderboard behind Casey Stoner (6 points) after winning 1 out of the 4 races and coming second in most. Real good game that has me hooked.