IGNORED

Ross Barkley

Louis

Hope we can have 2 good cup runs next year to give these boys a chance to shine. I'd really like to see more youth in our season start as well, try and encourage some healthy competition before October when the big games start coming thick and fast. Even if just as impact subs younger players have a tendency to pick the game up and run with it, and it would be good to see some players like Barkley and Hope get the opportunity Coleman had to influence the team. saying that I hope he has a blinder next season too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So not to over-egg the omelette here but is anyone else hoping we see a lot more of Barkley next season? Given his age it would be foolish to think he'll be starting many games this season, but we also have to take into account other factors. Cahill referred to him as the best player he's ever played with. Ossie last year I remember was quoted (among others, the manager included), as saying how unfortunate it was about his injury, in a sort-of, "we were going to use him" way. I also remember seeing his name a lot on the BBC match info pages before games under injured, and at the time I thought it was strange that they felt the need to include a 17 year old who had never played for the first team before. :huh:

However, looking over his performance last night and all the hype around him, is it possible Moyes had plans for him as early as the second half of last season? And if that's true, given our penchant for slow starts and spates of injuries, could this be the season we see another Diamond in the Rough come through? After all, Arteta is already injured, Cahill doesn't look match sharp yet, and Felli is still out. Barkley seems like an attacking midfielder, so playing him alongside Rodwell and Osman could be quite a midfield to cope with, if Ossie maintains his form and Rodwell continues his progress.

The most exciting prospect however, is even if he doesn't see much action, a lot of other teams and especially teams fans won't know of him or his ability, and like Coleman did last season, he could effectively use that lack of knowledge to springboard his career. Coleman pretty much surprised everyone last season, after only being a £60,000 acquisition, I could see Ross doing the same, but standing out even more given his talent and his seemingly natural ability to create time and space for himself and others. Several times yesterday he was just spinning back and forth waiting for people to make runs or get in good positions, and he almost always chose the best pass.

Aside from the fairytale of us getting 4th without spending a penny over summer and all our great young players rocketing us there on the back of reckless ambition, what should we realistically expect from Barkley? Is he too young to be counted on in important games, or would throwing him in the deep end (which could be necessary) work out to be in the best interests of everybody?

I'm very excited by Barkley after last night tbh. He's not long back from an horrific injury, he's only 17, he was playing in excruciating heat, and that's the sort of performance he put in.

Obviously it's too early to judge because it was only 45 minutes but if that's what's in his locker then we could have quite the player on our hands.

I'd have on the bench for every game tbh, even if he didn't get on that often just to get him used to being around the squad and learning our game. And start him in the early rounds of the the cups, and if he showed in the early rounds that he cope with a man's game I'd play him til we went out, even if we went all the way to a final.

He really looks like he's got all the attributes of an all round midfielder; he looks in the Gerrard mould.

if he's good enough to be counted on then he's old enough..did no harm to fabregas..not sayin he's as good as fabregas but playing in a top level midfield from a young age has helped him become one of the finest midfielders in the world..not seen his performance yesterday but sounds like he was doing what arteta should be doing in our midfield..so if mikky isn't upto it then give ross a chance..he couldn't do much worse than crab boy does at times

if he's good enough to be counted on then he's old enough..did no harm to fabregas..not sayin he's as good as fabregas but playing in a top level midfield from a young age has helped him become one of the finest midfielders in the world..not seen his performance yesterday but sounds like he was doing what arteta should be doing in our midfield..so if mikky isn't upto it then give ross a chance..he couldn't do much worse than crab boy does at times

:rofl: who the hell is crab boy??

arteta..another stolen name from romey really..due to arteta's amazing ability to do everything sideways..maybe if we got him pissed before the match he'd go forwards

thinking about it, you are quite correct, he does tend to go abit sideways at times, he seems more than happy to get rid of it to the wide players even though we don't have any :)

Interesting to see posts on twitter from fellow players. He seems to carry a bit of respect. I'm getting the impression he can handle himself (telling Neville he will pay him a visit and teach him a lesson) By the sounds of it, he is up there with Saha in terms of pace as per sprints pre season.

A fair bit of intrigue about this lad, my guess is he will be playing more than expected. He was wrapped in cotton wool and had youth games set up for his rehab with instructions not to tackle him, make of that what you will. But I don't think your average youth player gets that sort of treatment. Sure, of course there is a duty of care but special games are normally reserved for first team regulars.

thinking about it, you are quite correct, he does tend to go abit sideways at times, he seems more than happy to get rid of it to the wide players even though we don't have any :)

Not just arteta, rodwell and fellaini. The amount of times this happened last season irritated the life out of me. Got players there who can hit a ball, how many times 20 yards out did arteta and rodwell pass an opportunity to test keeper?

Haf that's got to come from moyes tactics. Happens to often to too many players for it not to be

oh it is defo, Moyes's tactics drive me mad sometimes, hopefully he will learn something new as do the players each season, we do need to be more progressive in going forward, some of our best players are in midfield and we should be building from there, forwards, not sideways