IGNORED

Moyes: I Thought I'd Been At Everton "too Long"

Louis

http://www.4thegame.com/club/everton-fc/ne...it_toffees.html

Moyes almost quit Toffees

Sunday 12 Oct 2008

Manager David Moyes has revealed he seriously considered walking away from Everton during the summer.

Moyes, 45, has been in the Goodison Park hot-seat since March 2002, but feared he may have spent "too long" at the Merseyside club prior to attending a talk from former England boss Sir Bobby Robson in July.

The former Preston North End boss is expected to sign a new five-year contract with the Toffees in the coming days.

"I went to a dinner in the middle of July for Bobby Robson - it was a tribute evening from the League Managers' Association," he told the Sunday Express.

"Bobby got up to speak about his time in management and said he had been at Ipswich for more than 12 years. Then he mentioned that Brian Clough was with (Nottingham) Forest for 13.

"And it made me think how lucky I was to have been at Everton for six-and-a-half years in a period when managers may get one or two years in a job.

"It had been going through my head that to be at one club for six-and-a-half years was a long time, possibly too long.

"But what Bobby said made me think the opposite - that, in fact, it's not long enough and I still have a job to do.

"It's a dream and he inspired with me with his words."

Moyes has it backwards. These days, with Bosmans and insane transfer fees and players' affections jumping from one team to another like horny teenage boys, I would argue that the only "shelf life" for a manager is the manager's own level of enthusiasm for the job. It's no longer on the players' side, because by the time the coach's message might be starting to get stale, all the guys who would have been tuning him out in the past are already gone, and the guys who are left (with rare exceptions like VDM who are un-moveable) will be the ones who buy into the message and help reinforce it with the new arrivals.

So Mr Moyes has been thinking he might have been at Everton too long!

Well There's a couple of lads on here been thinking the same thing :rolleyes:

Seriously though, in the crazy world that football has become, you can't blame a manager or a player wondering what life would be like elsewhere.I would have thought his large contract increase is in part something to do with the fact that shortly he will have a new boss and Everton a new owner.

Uncertain times for him, for everybody.If he gets replaced he will get a pretty big pay off, that's got to be a small consideration.

New owners could have their own manager in mind!....look at Rafa at luckypool and his american friends.

Evertons best manager, Howard Kendall, walked away when we were at our best, why wouldn't Moyes have at times considered that it could be time to move on!

He doesnt actually say IM LEAVING EVERTON.... OH YOUR WORDS OF WISDOM HAVE MADE ME STAY OH MR ROBSON...1

Ive been in my job for 3 years now....... I think thats a long time too..... ive no intention of leaving just yet...

All he says is..... 6 years is a long time....... and Bobby Robson just put things in perspective...

I thought you would all jump on this.......

Edited by DangerMouse

Football is about commitment Dangermouse more so the management side of it, if you think that comment is a good thing then your a right plonker its hardly going to fill fans and players full of confidence is it! To have your thoughts and opinins swayed by an ex manager at a bloody tribute evening certianly doesnt fill me with confidence and support for the bloke.

You seem to have a very negative view of people on this forum and you seem to forget the point of a forum is to express your views on the goings on in and around Everton Football Club not have stupid little jibes at people as you often seem to do "I thought you would all jump on this" grow up mate.

Edited by EFC-Paul

I thought you would all jump on this.......

No EW mate because he's generalising people for their opinion which im not doing i am stating that he doesnt have a need to make comments like that so i have no need to stop and think about fuck all its common sense mate. Im not anti Moyes as i think he has done a very good job with the resources given but i dont agree that its only going to be people who are not in fovour of Moyes that think this statement is quite concerning.

Im not deadset against Moyes having those views as most people feel that way about work but to air those opinions when the club is going through a rough patch and seems to be lacking so much confidence wise its a fucking stupid time to come out and say such things.

Edited by EFC-Paul

....its a fucking stupid time to come out and say such things.

...or it could be a stroke of managerial genius to say things like,

"...it made me think how lucky I was to have been at Everton for six-and-a-half years in a period when managers may get one or two years in a job.

....it's not long enough and I still have a job to do.

Depends which part of the whole you focus on.

Read in its entirity I don't see any problem with it.

...or it could be a stroke of managerial genius to say things like,

"...it made me think how lucky I was to have been at Everton for six-and-a-half years in a period when managers may get one or two years in a job.

....it's not long enough and I still have a job to do.

Depends which part of the whole you focus on.

Read in its entirity I don't see any problem with it.

Awesome post.

I have been getting a bit disillusioned with the extreme bitching about each others opinions rather than just disagreeing and offering a different view. Way to go to point out that everyone on this thread has been focussing on whichever parts support their narrowed view. Days are dark at present, but that means brighter days are coming one way or the other. I personally still think there is much more going on behind the scenes that we are being kept from knowing. I personally think Moyes is the best british manager in the game outside of Ferguson and we should want to keep him here. I agree with Mike that this statement is meant to be read between the lines and is actually quite positive.

Not exactly a secret that I'm a Moyes fan!....but I do feel that I still have a right to be able to question his tactics and comments.

Sure comments like MikeO has highlighted are good to read, and maybe they are his inner feelings, but these are all under the main comment of "I thought I'd been at Everton too long",and "I considered walking away from Everton"..........did he really need to spell out that he had considered leaving, when he could simply have either kept all his thoughts to himself, or maybe just told everyone what a lucky man he feels to be at Everton , and he has an unfinished job.

I haven't noticed a knee-jerk reaction or band-waggon jumping from posters on this!.....just people passing comments.....on their thoughts of what Moyes is supposed to have said.

To me it's great he wants to stay! i'm just a bit dissapointed he ever considered walking away.

Not exactly a secret that I'm a Moyes fan!....but I do feel that I still have a right to be able to question his tactics and comments.

Sure comments like MikeO has highlighted are good to read, and maybe they are his inner feelings, but these are all under the main comment of "I thought I'd been at Everton too long",and "I considered walking away from Everton"????????????????..........did he really need to spell out that he had considered leaving, when he could simply have either kept all his thoughts to himself, or maybe just told everyone what a lucky man he feels to be at Everton , and he has an unfinished job.

I haven't noticed a knee-jerk reaction or band-waggon jumping from posters on this!.....just people passing comments.....on their thoughts of what Moyes is supposed to have said.

To me it's great he wants to stay! i'm just a bit dissapointed he ever considered walking away.

You should work for the Sport mate

Edited by DangerMouse

To follow on from Mikes post about seeing the negative, having read various articles that include this interview, Moyes has never actually said that he considered leaving. All he has said is that 6 years is a lonf time at a club and wondered whether it was too long. This in itself is very vague and does not lend itself to the psitive or the negative. It is amazing how journalist headlines can influence peoples thoughts. Clever spin. We are a club in unrest and are prime targets for journalistic assasination. Bad news sells. If they can get scapegoats they will, there is nothing like the personal touch to give a story bite.

Everyone has their own opinions, but I personally refuse to be influenced by people who make a living by creating unrest and uncertainty when there is none, only to profit by it. I don't doubt that the thought of leaving Everton has entered Moyes head, but if it did, was it serious, sinister and most importantly, was it before the club went in to meltdown over the summer when he was taking a break and before he read the papers and forums and saw what was being said about the club and himself?

If moyes didn't have doubts i would have been worried....let's be fair......whilst he's brought us on leaps and bounds we haven't won any silverware for a while....i think moyes was just frustrated that his efforts to progress everton were hindered by natural factors affecting all managers in the game today eg noone can break into the top 4, the difference in funding for transfers differs wildly between teams....and more than that its been 6 fucking years boys! give the guy a break!

At any given point in someones career be they football managers or managers at burger king, people have doubts about themselves and their career, its human to do so...moyes as many have pointed out is a talented, experienced but still young manager, and he has plenty of years ahead to develop a name for himself, moreso than he has done already, while he was getting praise and respect for his work at everton, its natural for him to think bigger....

just reading this I see it as a man in a state of mind where he wants to acheive something in his career, he wants to make an impact and be counted among the best of the best for what he does, and he associated the lack of that happening with his longevity at the club, understandable given that we tend to blame everything else but ourselves when we havent got what we wanted. Moyes was akin to a bored husband, in a long marriage, thinking about trading the missus for a younger, more streamlined version of what hes already got, when really, he wants what hes had all along, he just thought all the hard work should have been over by now.

Bobby Robson just gave him a pat on the back and said stick at it mate, it's worth it in the long run...and moyes took a step back and said youre right.

My interpretation of this is that moyes was considering a change of atmosphere a change of direction a change in general really because he was trying his best and it felt like he'd done all he could, and Robson helped him skip that step and head straight into the idea that actually, his work has only begun, and if he digs his heels in, he'll get what he's after...

Cynics might say that was a new contract for double the money, I say we've got a manager who wants only the best for our club and will drive us every step of the way to becoming just that: Nothing but the best.

I think we over-analyse when nothings happening, on breaks from matches or when theres little tidbits of news coming through, because we try to keep ourselves occupied. Its fine to have different viewpoints and it's an interesting point of discussion, but lets not digress into a mud-slinging match unnessecarily. We're all toffees after all! :P

Edited by The Regulator