IGNORED

Arteta For England?

aaron

Mikel Arteta says he could play for England on the five-year residency rule. Everton's Spanish midfielder, 26, said: "I've been here four years so that possibility will exist." (The Sun)

i would love it if he chose us tbh, would work well in that team me thinks. and it would keep that shit player downing out the squad

yeah i can't see him play for the english team, whilst im sure he'd fit in quite easily, i think his desire to play for spain is greater and hopefully for him will get the call up soon, its been a long time coming and he deserves his chance.

On current form he doesn't. And even on form he doesn't really stand a chance of displacing the likes of Xavi, Fabregas and Iniesta.

On current form he doesn't. And even on form he doesn't really stand a chance of displacing the likes of Xavi, Fabregas and Iniesta.

Completly agree with you. If he was good enough he'd be getting in by now, but they have a huge abundance of talent in Midfield, he only shows glimpses of brilliance at the best of times, the midfielders he is challenging a place for are all world-class. Arteta, as much as I love him, quite clearly is not.

i guess youre right, i suppose i have too much faith in anybody who plays for everton :P

maybe one day if he picks up his form, and the likes of those players arent available for a certain one off game he might get a chance

When plays around him are playing well he plays well it looks like these days. I think if he chose England, which i very highly doubt, he would get into the squad, he is one of the best players outside the top 4 when on form. Maybe he wouldnt start over gerrard, lampard, barry and cole but he could replace the likes of downing on the bench.

Is this the same player that many were calling for his head just recently?

Sorry, Arteta is far too unpredictable to play for England or Spain. Just depends on which Arteta turns up for the game - the one with the brilliance and foresight or the one that loses concentration and just drifts around aimlessly.

• 2 weeks later...
Is this the same player that many were calling for his head just recently?

Sorry, Arteta is far too unpredictable to play for England or Spain. Just depends on which Arteta turns up for the game - the one with the brilliance and foresight or the one that loses concentration and just drifts around aimlessly.

At the end of the day last season stats-wise he was the best midfielder in the leage after ronaldo. Never mind names and repuations he can perform when it counts and i reckon he'd step up to the challenge. Unfortuinatly i cant see him playing for spain and with englands sudden burst of form i cant see him pushing his way into englands team either. Besides that arteta playing for england is just ridiculous im pretty sure he was having a laugh.

Its been quoted a few places, but its a lot of shite really. This week the home nations made a gentlemans agreement not to select players through residency rules and to continue to only select through blood-lines. Scotland had considered calling up Nacho Novo as he could legally play, but the governing bodies of the home nations agreed not to go down that route.