IGNORED

The Turning Point?

Ian C

I don't doubt no matter how well our season is going, a draw to Man Utd. and nearly beating them is a good days work in anyone's books.

But, is this the turning point? The players have shown that they've got the fight in them now, do you think if Moyes can keep that going that we're looking at starting to rebuild some of last year's form?

It should be. We now have a well earned point against a team that will more the likely win the league this year. We have shown that we can defend and shown that even against the best we can score. From the last 45 minutes we were all over Manchester United and had Yakubu been on form then his chance that hit the post would have been in the back of the net. We need to build on this, we now know that we are a good team and the game against Bolton will come as a sign that things are getting better. We'll go into the Reebok on a high and take maximum points before building on that and returning home against Fulham to smack Andy Johnson's arse and get our first win.

This should be the turning point.

I think we can get some valuable points over the coming month. Just been looking at the fixtures that we have to play, and its looking quite good. With the confidence from Manchester United I can see us climbing up the table and challenging for UEFA again.

• Fulham
  • Middlesbrough
  • West Ham
  • Wigan
  • Tottenham
  • Aston Villa

I think we are more than capable of winning all those games. We should have no difficulty with Bolton, then kick Andy Johnson's arse and get our first home win before heading up to failed Premiership side West Ham, grabbing the points and showing those Pie-Eaters how its really done. 12 points and brimming with confidence we'll send Tottenham back to the bottom and sneak a win against in-form Villa.

Would go into the Manchester City game with caution but I see no reason why we can't beat them. Robinhio hasn't been the threat I thought he would have been. IMO Neville can keep him quiet and we can make that game ours. A good three points in the bag. Who knows will this confidence lead to a good result against Chelsea?

If there's anything I've learned as a Red is that one result won't change much. We beat United and then flipping Stoke held us. We've bounced back since then but you can never get too carried away.

You'll be up the table soon. You have too good a squad not to.

I completly agree.

Congratulations on your result and your postion by the way. As much as it pains me you deserve to be where you are.

Would go into the Manchester City game with caution but I see no reason why we can't beat them. Robinhio hasn't been the threat I thought he would have been. IMO Neville can keep him quiet and we can make that game ours. A good three points in the bag. Who knows will this confidence lead to a good result against Chelsea?

I watched their game against Stoke and trust me he is a massive threat. Has so much poise when he gets the ball in the box and always seems to be in the right position. I will be shiting myself whenever he goes near it.

Well... it's a game of two halves, but we only to be playing for one of them - lucky at times to get even 45 mins of football out of the lads. A draw from ManU is hardly a 'turning point'. Only time will tell whether it's been a turning point or not. We could win the next 5 or lose the next 5 - that's our form at the moment. Should reserve judgement, but keep the pressure on the team to perform, 'cos the season so far hasn't been pretty.

I watched their game against Stoke and trust me he is a massive threat. Has so much poise when he gets the ball in the box and always seems to be in the right position. I will be shiting myself whenever he goes near it.

i agree, he has scored 6 goals in 6 games, not too shabby

I don't doubt no matter how well our season is going, a draw to Man Utd. and nearly beating them is a good days work in anyone's books.

But, is this the turning point? The players have shown that they've got the fight in them now, do you think if Moyes can keep that going that we're looking at starting to rebuild some of last year's form?

Wel speaking in hindsight after watching us beat fulham and bolton earlier, i can cheerfully say yes it looks like the point at united was the turning point! :D

I agree with you Mark, but hopefully things can kick on. Points breed confidence, and after crashing out of both europe and carling cup and failing to secure a home win you can see how low confidence could effect the team, and it clearly did.

The players should now feel that the presures have eased slightly and then maybe indvidual performances can start to be raised. If any of our players can play half as well as Jags does week in week out then we can start to really move forwards, I feel that despite the doom and gloom surrounding the club Jags previous experience at the blades will have relly helped him. He has experienced a very hard season with United but being Captain he had to keep his head up, i think that experience has shown with being unfazed by the teams poor start to the season. None ofour other players have ever experienced relegation, obviously its hard for a club but i do think that that experience can have good effects on the mentality of a player.

Anyway, i've rambelled a fair bit there... so i'll stop. Probably not making sense anyway.

Performances may not have been great, but given the results all around us over the week-end we're right back at the sharp end. Only a point away from where we were last season, defence looking stronger as a unit (although Lescott still in fairyland for some reason), two consecutive clean sheets and I think we should maybe look again at the seven points we got from the trips to the promoted teams. In the light of how all three of them are performing I don't think there are many clubs who'll get the same return.

Fellaini's coming good, Saha's off the mark, Howard's looking his old self....I think if we can just click into gear going forward we'll be on our way again. Watch out West Ham :) !

Were coming to that turning point, just getting over the bump. West Ham will decide whether we can settle or not. Like others said if the team perform half as good as Jagielka has been then were on for a good game. We just need to get the confidence of the team up. Maybe that's why Lescott isn't doing as well as last season.

The games have started to improve. United was good and even though Fulham wasn't up to good standards it was better than before. We need to put Hull/Stoke/WBA out of the way because they are promoted teams, they're always going to be tricky. Just UEFA & Carling hasn't done the team any good either. West Ham will be the decider. COYB!

Can I get a pair of them tinted glasses you seem to have found yourself MikeO....

If 5 mins of football could ever mask over the gaping cracks in our team..... It just goes to shows what a different position we could have been in......

The perfomances against Bolton & Fulham where dire and we could well have lost both of them although Boolton didnt create to much at the Reebok..

Obviously having the points on the board is much better put were still a million miles away from turning are form around....The back four against Bolton & Fulham looked completely average at times, Arteta still isnt performing, Osman is off the boil, Yak isnt producing... well anything and Saha doesnt even look arsed... you just carnt carry that many players....

For me im pleased Fellani has improved but im still not overly impressed and Jags is on top form as allways.... the only real pluses for me at the moment....

turned a corner we have not.....Bolton & Fulham are piss poor teams..... we deserve to be scraping against relegation if we struggle against them....

I just hope are luck continues for another....... say 20 or so games

Edited by DangerMouse

.....Bolton & Fulham are piss poor teams..... we deserve to be scraping against relegation if we struggle against them....

Bolton beat Man City yesterday and Fulham beat Arsenal earlier in the season, so if we're relegation candidates for struggling to beat them that must make City and the Arse certainties for the drop.

Who do you expect to go down with them :mellow: ?

So you think Bolton and Fulham are good teams???

Bolton lie 17th in the league and finished 16th last season with 37 points

Fulham lie 15th and finished 17th in the league with 36 points

fantastic teams that will finish in similar positions again this year......

so yes they are piss poor fucking piss poor

Ill hope you have stuck your tenner on Fulham winning the league then as they beat Arsenal......

dont talk shite

Edited by DangerMouse

So you think Bolton and Fulham are good teams???

If you just have a little look again you'll see that's not what I said....

Bolton beat Man City yesterday and Fulham beat Arsenal earlier in the season, so if we're relegation candidates for struggling to beat them that must make City and the Arse certainties for the drop.

Who do you expect to go down with them :mellow: ?

If you're going to accuse me of talking shite then at least address what I said, not what you think I said :rolleyes: .

I'm with Mike on this one. To be honest, every team in the league has bad spells or turns in shit performances, because nobody's perfect. At the end of the day, this time next year you won't be talking about how well we played against fulham or bolton, youll be saying well we had 6 points from those games....and isn't that what counts?

Yes we have played absolute bunk, but will you look at why? we got 5 players, only 2 of which have actually came in to play mroe than a few games for us, so all we really did over summer was lose 2 important players and replace them with ones who were struggling to find their feet, then we got knocked out of the mickey mouse cup and the euro cup because we barely had a team to throw together, our confidence dropped and we played shit as a result. We're now coming off the back of 2 victories, and if we make it a 3rd on saturday then we'll start getting back to our attacking flow. But our midfield have had to play a lot deeper because of our leaky defence and therefore we havent created as many chances as we used to. I think mike pointed out bolton and fulham's unlikely wins as a point of saying that teh start of teh season is never a fair judge of who isgood and who is bad, because there are many mixed results. After christmas we will have a cleaer indication, and as of now we are not at our best but we are getting the needed points so we need to build from that...

Have we turned a corner?

In terms of picking up points.....yes! After all we could have lost the last three games.

In terms of performance....then I'd say yes we have, but only very slightly.

For sure Bolton and Fulham aren't exactly major compotition for a european place, but they're not crap.Luckypool can win away at Chelsea and only draw at home to Stoke!....so, that means Stoke are better than Chelsea :huh:

Every game is a massive test, we held Man Utd, but got tanked by Portsmouth....so, that means Portsmouth are better than Man Utd!!

It just doesn't work that way.Look at Wigan, didn't they thump Hull City 5-0, shouldn't they be in the top 3?

NO easy games in the prem any more, luckypool top lost to Spurs bottom!!

West Ham is massive game, so is the one after that.....and the one after that.

It's down to the players and the manager how they take each game, that and a bit of luck, that's what it's all about.

A 1-0 win at Old Trafford at the end of the season is only worth the same as a 1-0 home win against Fulham....3 points!

Anything that can restore confidence in your self or your team mates can only be good, winning games and keeping clean sheets are a good start.

Turned a corner, sure we have.....anyone think the road stretching out in front of us is dead straight now?