IGNORED

Castillo Desperate For Opportunity At Everton

Sprooly

Everton's Ecuador international Segundo Castillo has had a 'stop-start' beginning to his career on Merseyside. The midfielder arrived on loan in the summer from Red Star Belgrade, and at the beginning of the season had shown himself to be a solid presence in the centre of the park for the Toffees, scoring on his home début against Standard Liege in the UEFA Cup.

Since then though, he has slipped down the pecking order as the likes of Marouane Fellaini, Tim Cahill and Leon Osman have made important contributions in midfield.

"With every training session and every appearance I get for the reserves and the first team it’s important I improve, and do so on a day-to-day basis," said Castillo, who has won 33 caps for Ecuador.

"I’m just dying for that opportunity to show again what I can do and what I can bring to the team.

"You’ve always got to aim for the first team but I’ve been having to show a bit of patience so far. The main thing is to be ready and to keep on working so I’m at the disposal of the manager when he needs me."

Castillo insisted that he has had no problem adjusting to the style of the English game, which occasionally comes as a bit of a shock to players who have been plying their trade in more sedate, less physical leagues.

"I’ve settled in and I’ve adapted well to the way football is played here," the player explained.

"It’s just a case of trying to get that consistency which will get me a regular place in the first team. Hopefully if I can show myself in training and with the reserves that will come."

Castillo had been a success with Red Star, making 72 appearances and bagging 18 goals for the Serbian club. As injuries and suspensions begin to bite into Everton's relatively small squad as the season progresses he will surely have a part to play.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/734/everton/20...nity-at-everton

i think we should give him a go if he is really desperate to play that can only be good for the team

thoughts?

I would play Rodwell ahead of him though, young, hungry and our biggest prospect this year.

if anyone else gets injured we might end up playing both.

I just want to see if Castillo is worth it, i've only seen him a few times and not really had that much chance to judge his effectiveness. I think a starting place and a full 90 minutes would be a good judge of how valuable he really is.

At the moment you could say we have got nothing to lose by playing him. On previous evidence, against Stoke, on début, I thought he played quite well, got stuck in, was neat and tidy. Ok he gave the ball away a few times but understandable playing first game in the Premier League. At Blackburn in the League Cup and Hull in the League, he wasn't that bad, it was the system that was wrong, hence he got yanked off at half time. To put him into perspective, Moyes trusted him with a starting place against Liege at home and since then he has hardly kicked a ball. Yes we know he was injured but as previous post says, what is the point of loan players if they are going to warm the bench, the fringe players can do that.

I would play Rodwell ahead of him though, young, hungry and our biggest prospect this year.

Castillo had more experiance than Rodwell. I am confident that Castillo could become one of our best players, he has looked good throughout and his goal against Standard Liege was excellent he seems to have the right attitude and that's what we are lacking in the team - we have players like Yakubu with a foul attitude towards our position who we would be better off without, get the likes of Castillo in the team. Players that want to wear the shirt.

It actually saddens me to not see him in the team.

Im not 100% sure if Rodwell is ready yet so would rather see Castillo given a chance.

If were not going to play him terminate the loan and send him back!

Terminate the loan? We need all the players we can get Duncan, especially with nothing to spend in January..

Castillo had more experiance than Rodwell. I am confident that Castillo could become one of our best players, he has looked good throughout and his goal against Standard Liege was excellent he seems to have the right attitude and that's what we are lacking in the team - we have players like Yakubu with a foul attitude towards our position who we would be better off without, get the likes of Castillo in the team. Players that want to wear the shirt.

Terminate the loan? We need all the players we can get Duncan, especially with nothing to spend in January..

I think you missed my point I was saying if Moyse isnt prepared to use him then whats the point of paying his wages?

I would like to see him given a chance but if not let him go

If he cant get in to our midfield at the moment then there isnt much down for him

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

I think the reason he's not playing is a lot down to the language - with fellaini already not speak a word english, i don't think moyes wants 2 of the boys struggling to communicate - i know castillo didn't come in when momo was suspended but i think the language thing may have some bearing on it because ability wise he looked worth a go.

...before someone posts it 'they should all be able to speak the language of football' - I know someone'll be thinking it, but I've done it now so you can't!

I think the reason he's not playing is a lot down to the language - with fellaini already not speak a word english, i don't think moyes wants 2 of the boys struggling to communicate - i know castillo didn't come in when momo was suspended but i think the language thing may have some bearing on it because ability wise he looked worth a go.

...before someone posts it 'they should all be able to speak the language of football' - I know someone'll be thinking it, but I've done it now so you can't!

Ha Ha Judging by the performance at Wigan the other night he has got 11 players who cant communicate so one more wouldnt make a difference!

I agree with BlueNose, why can't you get behind the team for once Duncan? Instead of making silly comments about how poor the team is and even starting a thread about Carsley playing well for 90 minutes you should be getting behind the team against Spurs like any Evertonian would do. Like I said in your Carsley thread, we know that keeping Carsley would have been better but that deal happened months ago, so why are we still dwelling about it? Let's for once give the team some confidence and get behind them as we head toward the Christmas period.

I'm sorry, are you being serious? Castillo one of our best players...I don't think so.

Yes I am being serious. With the poor performances our team have been displaying throughout the season he could well come into the team and do a great job. His performance against Standard Liege was excellent, not to mention his superb goal that gave us some hope of staying in the competition. He is highly rated in Ecuador and at Red Star Belgrade so he should do a good job here at Everton. He could be the perfect man to replace Carsley we just need Moyes to play him more.

Rodwell is the man to replace Carsley if we were to pick anyone is our squad to do that.

Castillo could be well respected in La Liga for all I care but if he isn't picked to play by Evertons manager I fail to see how he could be our best player..?

EDIT: Not getting at you directly, I just do not see it with Castillo.

Edited by Everton_Worshiper

• 2 weeks later...

right someone help me here, because now hi steam-mates are saying he should be getting more football:

Osman was quick to praise Segundo Castillo for his role in Saturday's victory.

The Ecuadorian was recalled in order to allow Cahill to fill the void left by injured striker Victor Anichebe and helped limit the impact of Shaun Wright-Phillips, Stephen Ireland and fellow South American Robinho.

"Casti had a good game," said Osman. "He's been unlucky not to play more. He's a good player and came back in today and put a great performance in. It was different for us playing without a striker but Tim went up there, did a good job and things worked out for us."

I don't understand, all I can think of why he isn't getting more games is because Moyes wants arteta, fellaini, osman, cahill and pienaar all on the pitch at the same time, but why he doesn't sub casti more is beyond me. I'd like to know since i was in work anyone who went to or saw the game how he played?

I was one of the most excited by his arrival but since fellaini he hasn't had a look in and it's only because of our striker crisis that he got a shot. I think he should at leats be on rotation on the bench though, seeing play once every other game.

Moyes could at least bring Castillo on from the substitute bench. He's been putting in good performances when we have seen him against Liege and City and would like to see him more. We bought him to possibly replace Carsley or make an impact around the midfield which when he comes on he has been. A wonder strike against Standard Liege showed that he can score goals when it matters. He's probably not going to last after this season but that's not his fault. Moyes simply hasn't played him and I think in no time he will be back at Belgrade Red Star putting in solid Premiership performances and could even get recalled to the league with another club (Portsmouth, Aston Villa) it's a real shame that he isn't a regular.

I'm sorry, are you being serious? Castillo one of our best players...I don't think so.

i think finally something we agree on, im not fully convinced. If moyes likes what he see's in training he would play him, obviously moyes thinks the players he picks are better than castillo

motd isn't exactly the best source for this kind of information, if you're like me and didn't see the match for whatever reason motd will not help in judging a player's abilities. It looked to me like they had loads of chances to put us away and we could have lost by 3 or 4-0.

They only show select moments, and from what the players and some people who went have said he had a decent run out.

On that subject, anyone else pissed off that Everton never gets any analysis on motd? No comments at all, we're like the invisible team, they chat shitloads abotu every other team mainly Villa, Pompey, Tottenham and Newcastle but say sweet fa about everton.

On that subject, anyone else pissed off that Everton never gets any analysis on motd? No comments at all, we're like the invisible team, they chat shitloads abotu every other team mainly Villa, Pompey, Tottenham and Newcastle but say sweet fa about everton.

We've been there before and we'll go there again.....it's a disgrace.

I only seen the highlights on MOTD of the City game so it could be showing him badly, but he looked like a bi of a carthorse from that. He was constantly ahead of the play and not helping the defence at all.

I watched the game and he was poor, 1 shocking pass springs to mind that nearly led to a goal.

Give me Rodwell anyday :)