IGNORED

Cahill - Whats His Best Position?

Memmaclub

Just been having a look around NSNO and seen some intersting points raised about how or how not to incorparate TC into our starting 11.

I got me to thinking why do we insist on treating him as a midfielder why just say he is a stiker and play him either as a support stiker or in a straight 442. I personally think he needs to play in any set up as he is our talisman.

If you accept he is a striker then I would play fellani and rodwell in the middle with arteta and piernar interchanging on the wings

pt

personally i think we need to alternate fellaini and cahill, home and away. Our desperation to play both has left our midfield clogged and I don't think both can be played in a game.

play fellaini in a 4-4-2 and play cahill in a 4-5-1.

I'm trying to find our formation against spurs last year to see what we played because we thrashed em last time out.

His best position is just behind the striker. BUT we have Yakubu and Saha now, both class strikers and neither can really be dropped (when on form I admit) because they will get goals out of nothing. Cahill playing as a midfielder in a 442 is seriously fucking our balance up though. Right now, based on form I'd drop the Yak and play Cahill just off Saha, but seeing as he's probably out against Spurs then persevere with the Yak and play Cahill just off him. Throw Casti or Rodwell in next to Fellaini and the balance should be somewhat restored.

The thing is that Moyes seems to have his head in the sand atm and is pretending everything is fine and is refusing to change things (i.e. change players around or, shock horror, drop them), so Saha being injured should force his hand. I hope so anyway, because we needing freshening up and fast.

For me he's not a good enough footballer to justify a place in a four-man midfield. It's his goals that make him a good player, although I do sometimes wonder whether with a better footballer on the pitch creating more chances for the strikers we'd have scored the goals we're so grateful for him for anyway (it's a big IF, I know that). I don't think he's creative enough to have a place off the striker either. It's too late in his career now but he's strong and aggressive and with discipline maybe he could have become a good holding player who can also get goals.

Let's face it, he's not Paul Scholes - he doesn't have that ability and creativity, even though sometimes people compare them because of his late runs into the box and his goals. David Platt used to generally play a disciplined more or less holding role and also used to make those runs and get goals. But like I said I think it's too late for Cahill to develop into a playing a role like that.

Edited by comeonblueboys

His best position is just behind the striker. BUT we have Yakubu and Saha now, both class strikers and neither can really be dropped (when on form I admit) because they will get goals out of nothing. Cahill playing as a midfielder in a 442 is seriously fucking our balance up though. Right now, based on form I'd drop the Yak and play Cahill just off Saha, but seeing as he's probably out against Spurs then persevere with the Yak and play Cahill just off him. Throw Casti or Rodwell in next to Fellaini and the balance should be somewhat restored.

That's where I am on Cahill. He is best posistioned behind the strikers and could even replace Yakubu in a 4-4-1-1 formation. Yakubu when on form shoulden't be dropped but I don't think that 90 minutes on the sideline would do him any harm, he has shown how good he is but we really need to stop his moaning tantrums and sit him out.

Castillo should also be brought into the mix supporting Fellaini.

I know it's an age old discussion but why don't we just stickto perfecting a 451. The competition of fighting for one stirking birth would help yak come good again. I persoanlly do not see it with saha he is at best a good squad player. I also think the critisism of fellani is unfair because for me he is the only midfielder who puts his foot on the ball and tries to play through the midfield. the long ball kills us because yak or saha are not good enough in the air.

^^^Some good points Memmaclub^^^^

We were pretty good at 4-5-1, Cahill was at his best in that role.Moyes has said he sees Fallaini as a player capable of playing in the Cahill position.So if he hasn't lost the plot completely (Moyes that is)

then by paying a massive fee for a Cahill type player, he must himself be thinking 4-5-1!

I did wonder how he could keep 4 strikers happy with 4-5-1, but with Saha and Vaughan injury prone and Anichebe even giving midfield a try.....that leaves the Yak, to be replaced if need be by who ever is fit at the time.

We would get the best out of Cahill or Fallini, the Yak (or Vaughan etc'etc) would maybe get better service and the back four would have better protection.

The sun would shine more often, Chang beer would taste good and kids would respect us...all this if only we would go back to 4-5-1!!

OK!......

Failing this, then I suggest 4-5-2 as being the way to go, worth a try.

I know it's an age old discussion but why don't we just stickto perfecting a 451. The competition of fighting for one stirking birth would help yak come good again. I persoanlly do not see it with saha he is at best a good squad player. I also think the critisism of fellani is unfair because for me he is the only midfielder who puts his foot on the ball and tries to play through the midfield. the long ball kills us because yak or saha are not good enough in the air.

The long ball kills us because A) we suck at it, B) it's a really crap way of playing football and C) it comes back to us twice as fast because it gives the opposition all the possesion.

Why when neville has become half decent at crossing he insists on hoofing it is beyond me. In the last desperate few minutes yeah fine, but starting with aimless hoofing is a pathetic attempt at the game and makes us look so bad on the ball. If we had a good passing game the Yak might have more chances and therefore more goals. But we're severely laking pace as well, and the premier league is too fast to play at the speed we do.

Edited by The Regulator

It does seem strange that if moyes saw Big Mo as competition to cahill why he bought him with all our spare money.

Don't get me wrong I am pleased we have gone out a bought a good young european midfielder however we were desparate for a DM so why no throw 15 mil at that.

Castillo was obvioulsy a panic signing and if he doesn't fancy him why not send him back and spend some money on Mbia.

It does seem strange that if moyes saw Big Mo as competition to cahill why he bought him with all our spare money.

Don't get me wrong I am pleased we have gone out a bought a good young european midfielder however we were desparate for a DM so why no throw 15 mil at that.

Castillo was obvioulsy a panic signing and if he doesn't fancy him why not send him back and spend some money on Mbia.

We didn't though? We paid £5m (or there abouts) upfront and the rest in installments.

Everywhere knows where he plays best its behind the striker but tbh I dont think he's been that bad further back the pitch, he gets stuck in and he can win us a few headers like Fellaini, id rather try Mikel in the middle tomorrow tbh on form he's our best player and we need to try and get the best out of him before Tim. I noticed the other day against Wigan Cahill looks like he's got a decent cross on him, why not try him right wing he might give Neville the help he needs because he's a liability.

Edited by Blue4Ever

he's a pritty solid left back imo :P

no but being serious at a top premiership football level his best position by far is supporting the striker

in a lower league he would provide a brilliant centre mid like he prooved at millwall but were against a higher standard of opposition now. I think he has enough about his game to be given a complete free role and the players around him should cover the rest.