IGNORED

One For Bill..

Louis

I keep coming back to look at it again, that is an awesome video Louis.

El Caminito del Rey (English: The King's little pathway) is a walkway or via ferrata, now fallen into disrepair, pinned along the steep walls of a narrow gorge in El Chorro, near Álora in Málaga, Spain. The name is often shortened to El Camino del Rey.

"In 1901 it became obvious that workers at the hydroelectric power plants at Chorro Falls and Gaitanejo Falls needed a walkway to cross between the falls, to provide for transport of materials, and for the inspection and maintenance of the channel. Construction of the walkway took four years and it was finished in 1905.

In 1921 King Alfonso XIII crossed the walkway for the inauguration of the dam Conde del Guadalhorce and it became known by its present name.

In some places the walkway has collapsed

The walkway has now gone many years without maintenance, and is in a highly deteriorated and dangerous state. It is one meter (3 feet and 3 inches) in width, and is over 200 meters (700 feet) above the river. Nearly all of the path has no handrail. Some parts of the concrete walkway have completely collapsed and all that is remaining is the steel beam originally in place to hold it up and the wire that follows most of the path. One can latch onto a safety-wire to keep from falling. Several people have lost their lives on the walkway in recent years; after four people died in two accidents in 1999 and 2000, the local government closed the entrances. However, adventurous tourists still find their way onto the walkway to explore it".

Couple of things I noticed from your clip MikeO!

Incredible all the way up that hill, and you could still hear that steam train down in the valley.....or was that your breathing <_<

AND.....Can't have been that difficult getting up there!.....that second dog we saw only had 3 good legs, and he made it up :o

Joking apart!.....in all fairness that is some ascent, it's not hard to see why they didn't finish building that church!

Incredible all the way up that hill, and you could still hear that steam train down in the valley.....or was that your breathing

:lol: You should hear it without the music :P !

And the three legged dog was a better sight than the year before when the sun was shining, we got to the top and there were two stark bollock naked men up there :o ! Actually they weren't completely naked, they had walking boots and rucksacks on....didn't have the camera to hand luckily :unsure: .

And Striding Edge would be beyond me Bill....beautiful spot though.

:lol: You should hear it without the music :P !

And the three legged dog was a better sight than the year before when the sun was shining, we got to the top and there were two stark bollock naked men up there :o ! Actually they weren't completely naked, they had walking boots and rucksacks on....didn't have the camera to hand luckily :unsure:

<_< , two naked men up there last year!!......Was that your wife running up those steps ahead of you on that clip :D

I keep going back to look at this, found this photo of it from the ground....you can actually see some people on it! What I find most mind boggling is the thought of people building it :o !

Yes that must have been some job when you think it was over a hundred years ago, they never had the technology to build it as they would have today. Hats off to those who did it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just watching "Von Ryan's Express" and thought, "That looks familiar!"

Just near the end all the escaping soldiers get off the train and run along the start of the path before a Meschersmitt comes and blows a big lump of it down so they get back on the train.

So there you are. Frank Sinatra stood on it (or his stunt double did).

I've checked that really is the same place...

If you simply want to see where the Camino del Rey begins, it can be found by driving across the lower dam into the village of El Chorro, take the track on the left before the railway station, continue past the camp site until you can drive no further. Walk the last few hundred metres. The path drops down and skirts the iron girder railway bridge (take care crossing the line, Von Ryans express was filmed here).

• 1 year later...

They've got a harness/safety rope on though right? i'd love to do that, freaked me out to fuck but it'd be exilerating :D

its easy if they are harnessed :P looks mental though!

You people are insane. This is it from the ground....expand it and look at the tiny tiny people on it. I've done some scary stuff in my time but harness or no harness you'd not get me anywhere near that thing :unsure: .

Caminito_del_Rey_3.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...