IGNORED

Injury News

I'm constantly annoyed at Lescott defaulting to left back, not only has he said he doesn't prefer that position, but Baines is so good in that position especially going forward on the overlap, that we can't afford not to play him there.

Look at bosingwa, on another level entirely, but how often do you see racing up the line allowing the midfield to fan out and opening up play? He gets crosses in and then if there's a counter attack there's an extra midfield player to track back and provide cover.

Baines works in this mentality and I much prefer that style of play, as Baines is also very good at crossing IMO.

lescott has good qualities, but I'd prefer him and Yobo to duke it out for a place than have banies relegated to the bench to only when he is needed. He is a much more useful left back.

On that, I'm glad Yobo is back and our defense with jacobsen returning is almost as strong as it can be.

I personally think we should play 5-4-1 and use them like this:

-----------------------------------Howard----------------------------

-----------Yobo-----------Jagielka-------------Lescott--------------

Neville---------------------------------------------------------Baines

-----------------------------------Arteta------------------------------

Osman--------------------------Fellaini----------------------Pienaar

----------------------------------Cahill--------------------------------

At least over the next few games until we get a striker back.

I just hope he returns on the bench, Baines has been playing really well and to drop him after good performances sends out the wrong message.

After 300 mins without conceding a goal since Baines came into the back four it'd be daft to drop him.

And if I were Baines and I was dropped I'd put in a transfer request the next day :) .

That team looks great on paper Martyn but he's not going to start tinkering with his formation with the run of games we've got coming surely?

That team looks great on paper Martyn but he's not going to start tinkering with his formation with the run of games we've got coming surely?

I know he won't, and if he did I probably would be against it, as the formula is paying dividends. Just looking at our playing style though having 3 CB's means that Baines and Neville could progress forward without losing our back line. And seeing how Baines especially plays up in the top corner, and the fact that Neville isn't a bad crosser on his day, it would be beneficial to us to have 5 in the centre of the park ready to receive a cross rather than rely on one or 2.

That being said the only problem with 4-5-1 is the fact that we get hit on the break to easily, and since Villa we seem to have conter-acted that quite well.

It's just a formation my dad and I always talk about with other fans, because we both think it would give us width without the need for a winger and allow the midfield players more room to breathe.

I think Yobo getting injured did Everton a favour more than anything, because whilst he is a key player for us, I rekon if he had of been playing lescott would have been seeking a move away as he is not playing in his desired position, as would baines, as he is lacking in game time. Now I can see us holding onto both of them this window because of Joey being out.

Reading between the lines it looks as if Baines may find himself back on the bench. Not against Hull I don't think but the first derby selection will be interesting if Joey's fit...

“Bainesy has done well in the games he has played, he's doing fine. There is a good player there and we know that. But the competition is stiff."

“That's what happens when you come to big clubs - the competition will always be tough. We have that at the back with Joleon, Jags and Joe. It’s tough competition."

“I don’t think he accepts the situation and nor do I want him to accept it. He wants to play, which is good."

“But, in the same breath, Joleon Lescott probably became as good a left-back as there was in the country last year."

“We didn’t buy him to make him a left-back. We just found him playing there because of what happened with injuries and suspensions."

“Joleon has ended up developing and been capped for England due to his form at left-back. That is where the competition has come from.”

it's a difficult one, I think Yobo has been our outstanding defender for the last few years, he started the season a little dodgy (supposedly unfit) but since then he has played as well as anyone. He is far quicker than Lescott or Jags and excellent in the air and totally underrated, I think he deserves his place in the team, the problem is who doesn't?!

it's a difficult one, I think Yobo has been our outstanding defender for the last few years, he started the season a little dodgy (supposedly unfit) but since then he has played as well as anyone. He is far quicker than Lescott or Jags and excellent in the air and totally underrated, I think he deserves his place in the team, the problem is who doesn't?!

Thats the problem mate. Who dosent deserve to be in the team? From the defence along I would like to see Nuno playing more, but there's no way that I would leave any of our back-4 out so IMO he should be on the bench/reserves like he is now. For all that we have a small squad we do seem to have quality players in each area of the pitch even if attack is poor at the moment. Cahill is doing well up there and has made sure we get maximum points. We have a good small squad and that's partly the key to our success this winter.