IGNORED

For Hibbert Bashers...

Since his return:

Everton 0 - 0 Chelsea

Middlesborough 0 - 1 Everton

Everton 3 - 0 Sunderland

Macclesfield 0 - 1 Everton

Everton 2 - 0 Hull

So thats is 5 games back and 5 clean sheets. No matter what you think of him he is a reliable right back and has helped the defence keeps 5 clean sheets in a row.

:D

I have never been his biggest fan but he has played well lately and has been quite solid i wouldn't say he's a reliable right back as he's proven in the past he's prone to making silly errors. He puts in a good shift and always seems to try which is great i just hope he can keep up his current form.

Facts can be made to win or lose many arguments, i could say it was Baines thats made the difference, it could be Yobo's loss is our gain an Lescott is now playing like we know he can, it could be that Neville is protecting the back 4 better, theres lots of reasons for the improvement.

I'm not a Hibbert knocker and i agree he has played well lately, but i wouldnt place the reason for the improvement solely at Hibberts feet, more a collective improvement, not only in the defence but right through the whole team.

Facts can be made to win or lose many arguments, i could say it was Baines thats made the difference, it could be Yobo's loss is our gain an Lescott is now playing like we know he can, it could be that Neville is protecting the back 4 better, theres lots of reasons for the improvement.

I'm not a Hibbert knocker and i agree he has played well lately, but i wouldnt place the reason for the improvement solely at Hibberts feet, more a collective improvement, not only in the defence but right through the whole team.

I never attributed the clean sheets solely to hibber I said he has "helped". Baines only came in last couple of games, not since our run of clean sheets started.

plus the freak Aston Villa game aside (3 goals from 3 chances/errors) our defence had already improved and let's face it, 10 man Chelsea aside, the other 4 teams aren't up to much, that being said it's still an impressive run. I'd be more impressed though if the run continued for the next 5 games!

Baines came off the bench against Chelsea didn't he :huh: ?

So he's done all but an hour of the run.

I missed one other game off, the Man City 1-0 win to us (where Hibbert played 90 mins).

Baines was missing for the Man City game.

Besides, if he was the shit bag everyone makes out we would be leaking goals from the right side of defence.

I missed one other game off, the Man City 1-0 win to us (where Hibbert played 90 mins).

Hibbert didn't play in that game at all....unused sub :) .

Hibbo and Baines have played exactly the same amount of games in the sequence, other than Tony having the extra hour against Chelsea.

Baines was missing for the Man City game.

Besides, if he was the shit bag everyone makes out we would be leaking goals from the right side of defence.

Its not a case of him being the "shit bag everyone makes out" its more the case that he has in the past been very inconsistent hence why he's had the ruff end of the stick same as Lescott when he's been in poor form. When he plays well which he has of late im sure people will mention how well he's played me personally i've never thought he was consistant enough to justify as starting place for a club thats challenging for Europe but thats just my own opinion.

Guest efctaxi

Though I have been reading it , I've not been posting on this forum long enough to notice who bashes who , but since I've been here , the majority of comments towards him have been quite positive , especially in the man of the match sections .

Whether the good run has alleviated some footballing stress here who knows , but guys seem to giving credit where it's due , as opposed to finding fault , and he's certainly done his job in that time .

For me , Piennar is possibly playing under parr at the minute , but as long as the team are playing well together as a whole , then we stand a chance .

This month will be a huge test .

The endless hibbert debate, we may have had a good run but I don't think he has helped at all. He's not a solid right back in the slightest and he is the weak link in an otherwise strong team. I'd prefer Yobo at right back to Hibbert.

There are many reasons we have kept clean sheets:

-Jagielka's tireless efforts, often times covering for hibbert, and his consistently faultless performances that keep our goal protected

-Lescott's rapid improvement in form, getting back to his best and being as much of a rock in the last few games as Jags, tightening the defence and barely letting anyone have a shot at our goal

-Baines' contribution, putting in hard-earned performances every game and making sure to close down attacks on the left

-Arteta's command in the center and break up of play, also coming into his best form this season and adding stability and control to the center of the park, allowing the defence to stay back and keep fresh for longer through the game as less attacks get through

-Neville's constant tracking back and leadership from his natural DM position, again breaking up play but also covering for Hibbo, and his physicality when it comes to tackling

-Howard has done a superb job when he has been challenged and most times he isn't, but when he is he makes sure that the last ball is nestled in his arms and doesn't get anywhere near the goal

I'm not a fan of Hibbert and never have been, he isn't a player that I feel is up to the standard we can be, and doesn't deserve a starting place, and the sooner Jacobsen is fit the better because I'd rather give an international a chance than a plank. He may have had a few good games but some people give him so much praise it's unreal, patting him on the back and saying good boy like he's an infant who's just taken his first dump in the toilet and pulled the flush.

He's scared of the ball for start, he never looks comfortable on it and never seems to want it, when he does get it his immediate thought is to look backwards and towards the center. he also can't cross the ball and his passing is below par. While his tackling is mixed, some brilliant challenges, some pathetic attempts, my main beef with the hibster is that he keeps getting caught out of position. His man marking is absolutely atrocious. Were it not for Neville and Jags doing an admirable job covering Geovanni, the G man would have raped us the amount of times Hibs was caught out of position. He's just not a good defender, and we are stronger when he is not in the team.

Statistics can prove whatever you want them to, but I haven't seen proof on the pitch of Hibbert being any better than he ever was, a distinctly average player with distinctly average abilities. I wouldn't argue the point if noone said anything about him, because he doesn't bare talking about. But there are some people who are adamant that he deserves more respect and a starting place, when he clearly is there because we have fuck all other options available to us. put it this way if we had strikers fit, and Neville was available for right back instead of being required in the center of the park, do you think Moyes would keep Hibbo in on the strength of these performances? Or do you think at the soonest possible juncture Moyes will take Hibbert off because it's a defense tightrope when he plays?

Honestly he's not the worst player ever and he's not the worst player Everton's had, but he's certainly not a starter for us, and I'll feel that much more comfortable when we get a striker back and Neville or Jacobsen can fill the right back spot.

Edited by The Regulator

How old is Hibbert?.........He won't be the first player to actually improve with advancing years!

For instance Carrigher, a luckypool supporter told me a few years back that Carrigher was usless, and it's been his late 20's that he's become the player he is.

Rate him or not and I'm pretty much on the fence on this one, It's good for Everton that he at least has put in a few good shifts since he came back.Can't imagine he's on a big wage, and he came through the ranks which is always good for the club, so if we have got a better player in that position I'd still hang on to Hibbert as cover.

I'd still like to think that the best is yet to come.......Didn't seem to be too much interest in Gareth Barry a few years back, there is now, bit like how Graveson attracted interest at the end of his first Everton stay.....he certainly hadn't been that good the previous couple of seasons.

Not comparing Hibbert to any other player except to point out that some players, seem to improve with age........whilst some young players are fantastic for a couple of years then fade away, just happens.

Two more clean sheets from our two full backs Baines and Hibbert, would be rather nice wouldn't it.

He's generally been sound defensively excpet for the occasional slip-up, the main knock against him has been his use (misuse?) of the ball when he has it. he's defeiniteky not comfortable with ball at feet, and has a built-in tendency to hoof it down the line when under pressure.

Except that in the last few games his distribution has improved massively. I suspect it's partly the system we've been playing, with so many midlfeild players around him who are excellent on the ball, he has more options available, and he seems comfortable passing to the likes of Ossie, Arteta, Fellaini, Cahill and Pienaar even if they're tightly marked.

For perhaps the same reasons, Neville's use of the ball in central midfield has been sp much better than in the past when he's played that role.

• 2 weeks later...

Hibbo is presently playing out of his skin, it is his best ever spell at EFC and I'm chuffed for the lad. We all know he can tackle, he is brave but his distribution has at times been awful, at present he is functioning brilliantly in all departments. Did anyone notice Babel the other night, Hibbo had him wrapped and ready for bed and he is a winger that most clubs would die for. I have been critical of him in the past but lets be fair Hibbo is doing so well for us right now that I bet even Capello was impressed with him in the derby :o;)

Being honest, Babel has been shocking this season. Hibbert was much better on Monday, I thought on Sunday there were a few times where he looked shit and Jags had to cover.

He is playing well, but he'll always have piss poor distribution.

The only reason his distribution was poor the other night was the back four simply clearing their lines. On more than one occasion Hibbo put decent balls down the line and others were too deep to go after them. Give the lad some credit for God sake as he is helping us shore up our defence in great style, take about give a dog a bad name

Guest efctaxi
Arteta.

Pienaar.

Yakubu.

I have to strongly disagree . Arteta is a good crosser and free kick taker , but not a creative passer . Pienaar constantly loses the ball , and the Yak ?

Our side lack creativity period .

I have to strongly disagree . Arteta is a good crosser and free kick taker , but not a creative passer . Pienaar constantly loses the ball , and the Yak ?

Our side lack creativity period .

We lack strikers, but we manage to score goals and are doing great at the moment.

I don' t really see what you mean by lacking creativity?

i thought Hibbert didn't do bad in the derby, especially the first 20 minutes he caught my eye with a few good interventions

Edited by Churinga

The point isn't so much about his distribution, but how panicky he is on the ball.

Look at Big Vic, he stormed through Liverpool players in the derbies, barely letting go of the ball, pienaar uses a few tricks up his sleeve and can get passed defenders, whilst Hibbert gets the ball and shits himself. He just smacks it downfield as far as he can and it almost always ends up with the opposition.

When Baines or Lescott have been clearing it it's at least been up for grabs, and Neville has been hoofing it a lot less lately.

It's not a major point, but I think pinning all our success at teh back on Hibbert is ridiculous. Jagielka is our best defender and has had a phenomenal season, without him we'd be leaking goals all over the place, hibbert or no hibbert. Lescott has started playing to his best and is looking really comfortable at CB, Baines has been outstanding and goes forward well, and Howard has )apart from sunday's blunder) been in great form as well.

Hibbert is one fifth of the reason, and factor in that Neville is now playing a holding role, and sitting in front of the defense and protecting the back means we actually have 5 players before Hibbert that deserve more credit for the clean sheets than him.

I just don't see all the fuss :mellow:

Guest efctaxi
Exactly which one of our players has ' good ' distribution ?

We don't have a decent passer of the ball in the whole squad :lol:

It is one thing that bothers me when checking stats, our pass completion rate is bloody awful, its pointless picking on individuals when stats cover the team!

I again refer to my first comment .

Our composure on the ball is poor , especially when the opposition attack the ball , and our passing is non productive and misdirected .

Only Fellaini has shown any composure under pressure so far where passing is concerned , but is yet to be tested having missed the first 2 derbies of this year .

Defensive hoofing is pointless . We need a midfield who can move the ball around the pitch , and do it quickly and accurately , and a frontman who can hold it up .

It's only worth holding the ball up if the midfield then move into available positions , but they don't have the required brains for some reason , and instead are slow to react and find space .

We also throw the ball into too many 50/50 areas , which again is poor passing . Overall , we are a poor passing team , and anyone who thinks different can gladly explain why the reds had so much possession against us in both matches :) Our missing players aren't exactly David Beckhams either :lol:

Edited by efctaxi

t's only worth holding the ball up if the midfield then move into available positions , but they don't have the required brains for some reason , and instead are slow to react and find space .

We also throw the ball into too many 50/50 areas , which again is poor passing . Overall , we are a poor passing team , and anyone who thinks different can gladly explain why the reds had so much possession against us smile.gif

i think the the fact that we don't have strikers has something to do with the poor passing.

Cahill and Fellaini are no strikers, and don't have the automatisms of strikers. plus they were two keyplayers on the midfield and replacing them is not an easy job, Espacially if Arteta is out.

When the whole team is fit, i don't think we are a poor passing team

Id have to agree that our passing as a team is woefull.. we only look good against the lesser team and only win other games because of good tactics or team spirit... nothing up with that you play to your strengths....

some players just dont have the vision others look uncomfortable on the ball. It helps I think with Arteta in the middle but I wouldnt say hes a fantastic passer of the ball. Hes the best we have got though.

Hibbert looks a different player in my eyes.. hes getting forward, putting in decent balls and most importantly doing his defensive duties....