IGNORED

Elstone Made Permanent.

I have mixed feelings about this. He come across as a amicable person and it brings some stability to the club. The question mark over his future has been lifted when he was offered the contract. Obviously I can't say whether he's doing a good job or not because I don't know what he's doing behind the scenes (there are rumours he's signed Le Coq Sportif to be kit manufacturers).

I wasn't impressed with his comments earlier in the week.

Keith Wyness left because the of Philip Green's involvement. Wyness actually said he'd reveal why he left (according to some he was selling his story to a paper, don't know how true that is!) and then Philip Green (with Robert Earl on board) sailed over to Majorca where Wyness was to confront him.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/aug/03/everton

Wyness refused to comment on his departure but friends said he had done nothing wrong and was helping 'an old mate' while on annual leave. It has been suggested that his departure was linked to Green's influence at Everton.

Wyness's departure prompted Green and Earl to sail from Sardinia to Mallorca for a confrontation with their former chief executive.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/au...llorca.business

Last Tuesday, the dozens of expensive yachts in Puerto Andratx were somewhat overshadowed by Lionheart, a 208ft, £32m vessel Sir Philip Green had just sailed into town. The billionaire retail tycoon was accompanied by Robert Earl, the Planet Hollywood founder and substantial shareholder in Premier League club Everton. Green and Earl sailed from Sardinia on a mission. Before going on to Ibiza, they had some unfinished business with Keith Wyness, the Everton chief executive, who, the previous day, had resigned his post. The north London duo wanted answers.

Wyness, an old friend of Davidson's, took them by surprise. The garrulous former British Airways press officer, who once marketed Concorde, cited growing Green's influence at Everton as a reason for quitting the club he joined in 2004. Green, it seems, had helped theatre impresario Bill Kenwright buy the Toffees four years ago, but that was not the end of his efforts. It is alleged that the combustible Arcadia owner calls the shots at the Merseyside club. There are suggestions he is even consulted on transfers, though Green downplays his involvement.

DM, The reduced price of shirts is not because of any kit manufacturer change, it's because JJB needed to increase their cashflow to survive (they're predicted to go bust this year by some experts). They have two deals where they bought the retail merchandise rights, one with us and one with Rangers, both prices have been slashed to entice more people into buying them (shows you how much profit they make when they usually go for £40!).

Rangers - http://www.rangersmegastore.com/new-0809-r...at_0001098.aspx

DM, The reduced price of shirts is not because of any kit manufacturer change, it's because JJB needed to increase their cashflow to survive (they're predicted to go bust this year by some experts). They have two deals where they bought the retail merchandise rights, one with us and one with Rangers, both prices have been slashed to entice more people into buying them (shows you how much profit they make when they usually go for £40!).

You guys think its expensive when kits cost like 40 quid?

In Australia, if your lucky enough to find a current Everton kit, it goes for like $240.00 AUD, round 80 for u poms :P

I have mixed feelings about this. He come across as a amicable person and it brings some stability to the club. The question mark over his future has been lifted when he was offered the contract. Obviously I can't say whether he's doing a good job or not because I don't know what he's doing behind the scenes (there are rumours he's signed Le Coq Sportif to be kit manufacturers).

I wasn't impressed with his comments earlier in the week.

Despite being an all round nice guy he is still obliged to defend the club, his employers, and I feel this is why he made those comments (presume we are talking about Bellefield). In some ways, Elstone is cleaning up the odd floating turd left by Wyness.

We are talking about Bellefield, Elstone's comments:

"The truly disappointing aspect of this is that the politicians who run this city went against the recommendations of the council's own planning experts.

"In such circumstances you have to ask, why is that? What is the point in employing experienced and learned experts if you are simply going to ignore their advice? Over the past few years we have constantly shown a willingness to work with Liverpool City Council to safeguard the long-term future of our football club... sadly, it does not appear to be a reciprocal arrangement.

"The council's own director of planning threw his weight behind this project – he believed it to be both sensible and suitable – and so did we."

A simple "We are disappointed with the government's decision but we have funding options available to cover the shortfall for the new stadium" would have sufficed. His comments have caused a few headlines in both local and national papers and it reflects badly when the CEO is pointing the finger at the local council. It only makes those who believe that "the red council" are anti Everton feel vindicated and also causes a divide should the Kirkby stadium not be granted planning permission.

The collective heads at Everton and the City Council need banging together.

^

and on the other hand you dont like it because it smells like the truth and could lay weight behind the fact that liverpool city council do / didnt wanrt to work with everton football club....

you can look at it from either perspective....

Im choosing to go with the dirty red council not helping out the blues

Regardless of whether it is the truth (It possibly is). The inspector found all reasons bar increase in traffic valid enough to oppose the development. Maybe LCC were surprised on Tuesday when the result came in?

My opinion is LCC have been supportive of Everton, the problem is Everton wanted land within Liverpool to build a retail park to allow them to skim some of the money off to build a stadium. It's not possible in Liverpool. The club's advisors at Tesco opted for Kikrby, a town where the borough loses money to surrounding authorities because it doesn't have a supermarket.

Politics are at play, undoubtedly. Liverpool's economy would lose millions if Everton moved to Knowsley, LCC would naturally want to keep this money being spent in their area. Prestige would also be lost. The choice for LCC was possibly looked at something like this; receive Council tax for 74 new houses or retain a Premier League club that brings in millions each year. If it was a business decision, it was the right one.

The council leader said their decision was "vindicated" by the government.

I'm a Wirral resident so don't care about the Liverpool council but I can see what they had to gain or lose from it.

Although I do think you're wide of the mark with 'they offered no help line'. Radio 4 did a special show on the ground move a while ago. It was said by the leader of the council that houses could go behind Bullens Road if Everton gave the nod so that Everton could expand. One example there, Council leader, on national radio saying he's willing to knock three streets down to help Everton stay at Goodison but this didn't even make the local news.

They also offered 30 sites, none of which Everton wanted for the reason above, I think it was 55acres of land for retail use was demanded. The one site where a business was willing to help fund he stadium was described as too small by Everton as it couldn't accommodate 75,000. Kirkby capacity is 50,000 and according to the architect at the inquiry it won't go any higher than 60,000, ever.

There's also Kings Dock but no one knows for sure what the deal was and why it ended.

Two sides to every story :)