IGNORED

European Places

shetland

Sorry if I'm being stupid but I forget this every season it seems. I personally think that we will finish higher in 6th in the table but if we only manage 6th what needs to happen in the cups for an extra UEFA cup space in the league to become available. I had a feeling that things had changed since last season but unsure. Been thinking about it today as we seem to be doing a great job of cementing a top 6 place after the start we had I'm very happy to be having these thoughts!!

Can anyone help me out here?

1st: CL

2nd: CL

3rd: CL

4th: CL

5th: Europa League

6th: Europa League if winner of FA/Carling Cup is already qualified for Europe

7th: Europa League if winner of other cup is already qualified for Europe

+1 Fair Play

I think that's it, or do we still have the runner up rule?

Edited by Grarghsies

EDIT---Beat me to it^^^^^. No runner-up rule and the fair-play place is dependent on England's performance in the European fair-play league...we were down in 8th place at the turn of the year and only the top three get a place http://www.uefa.com//MultimediaFiles/Downl...80_DOWNLOAD.pdf.

(Bit irrelevant really but at the end of December we were sixth in the FA fair play league http://www.premierleague.com/page/FairPlayTable)

You're pretty much right Oz. Fifth qualifies along with the two cup winners, although if the cup winners qualify through league position then the places pass on to sixth and (possibly) seventh. Change this year is that the FA Cup runners-up won't get the place if the winners are qualified already, it'll go to the league.

There's also a change in the competition next year from the UEFA Cup to the Europa League ()http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=64...sid=754085.html.....different format with the most notable bit being that the league stage will be groups of four playing home and away (as in the Champs League) rather than the idiotic groups of five there have been recently.

So the tottenham - Manchester is potentially the most important games of the year :S

Potentially yes, but (assuming we finish sixth) it would need someone who is not us, Villa, ManU, Arsenal or Chelsea winning the FA Cup (along with Spurs beating United in the Carling), and you'd get pretty long odds on that.

If we finish seventh we don't deserve to qualify :) .

Guest efctaxi

+1 Fair Play

I think that's it, or do we still have the runner up rule?

Just win the FA cup , and finish 6th , just incase City finish 7th lol :lol:

Potentially yes, but (assuming we finish sixth) it would need someone who is not us, Villa, ManU, Arsenal or Chelsea winning the FA Cup (along with Spurs beating United in the Carling), and you'd get pretty long odds on that.

If we finish seventh we don't deserve to qualify :) .

Good point, didn't really think about that :)

Think that we will come either 5th or 6th this season. Games are going to get easier (I hope that didn't sound too arrogant) because of the tough month that we have had. We have played the top clubs and done well against them so we should be able to beat the teams stuck in the bottom half of the table - I know that no game is easy but we have to think about taking maximum points from games. We will be favourites and we need to take advantage of that.

Good point made by Mike there and I think that we will qualify for Europe should we keep up this good form (which we should) the back four keeping up the good work with Nev being the great captain he is, Jô on the scoresheet and Pienaar/Cahill/Arteta providing. Sounds good.

Does anyone know why its now called Europa League? Why not UEFA Cup?

Does anyone know why its now called Europa League? Why not UEFA Cup?

Posted this link further up but you must have missed it....

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=64...sid=754085.html

This is the format...

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/n...sid=788365.html

According to the UEFA site there's no place for the Carling Cup winners, it goes straight to sixth place but I'm sure the FA have over-ruled that.

That link seems to have answered all the questions about the Europa League. We should be able to qualify for it and with the new rules and fresh start we could hopefully emerge as the first winners :rolleyes:

I hope they do manage to get some teams in from lesser known countries. It would be easier to beat them and progress whilst at the same time promoting football in their country. A little bit like the 2009 Perth Glory game just on a bigger scale.

The new tournement will be a joy to watch, it might not beat the Champions League but it could come close. The whole setup of it seems good and I'm sure that the new group system will work better. Having the 5 team thing was unique and in some ways a good thing, not having to play teams twice but the four team rule will work better and probably benefit us more. If we slip up and get a dodgy draw we can always come back for some revenge. B)

UEFA Europa League matches will be played on Thursday night in a week where there are UEFA Champions League matches, and on Wednesday and Thursday nights during weeks that are exclusive to the UEFA Europa League. There will be two kick-off times, in principle at 19.00 and 21.05CET according to local situations.

^Maybe that is the only problem. Thursday games, I hope the FA don't make us play on a Saturday, it's been done before.

Edited by dark