• Leighton Baines
    • Jack Rodwell
    • Phil Neville
    • Leon Osman
    • Steven Pienaar
    • Marouane Fellaini
    • Tim Cahill
    • Louis Saha

there was no obvious motm but I think Pienaar deserved it today, always has composure on the ball and always looks to go forward and attack. Fellaini was back to his best in the second half but not enough to give a motm.

how Saha got motm on setanta suprised me, it seems who ever scores these days gets motm but he did make a big impact on the game.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm nearly lost for words, some peeps view of this game and the players performances has astonished me, i really think we should think about abandoning the MOTM altogether, peeps are voting for their favourite player no matter how he plays, which in the final analysis makes a mockery of the whole thing.

My vote goes to the man who WAS the man of the match, who held the side together when we where on the floor, and who did twice as much work as anybody else on the pitch, Captain Phil Neville was by far the best man on the pitch.

closely followed by Pienaar and Lescott.

We where shit for 70 minutes of this game, the only time we looked better than them was for 20 minutes of the 2nd half, and this was a team that has only won one game of their last 16, has only scored 8 goals in 14 away games and are lying 2nd from bottom in the league. We can thank the gods that we were'nt playing a half decent team.

Couldn't agree more. As I said before, and mark did as well. MOTM by a mile.

Don't forget Fell is only 21 years old and it's his first season in The Premier League, according to me he's playing a great first season. Take for example Shevshenko a few years back, great player in Milan but in Chelsea he was a zero.

I'm nearly lost for words, some peeps view of this game and the players performances has astonished me, i really think we should think about abandoning the MOTM altogether, peeps are voting for their favourite player no matter how he plays, which in the final analysis makes a mockery of the whole thing.

My vote goes to the man who WAS the man of the match, who held the side together when we where on the floor, and who did twice as much work as anybody else on the pitch, Captain Phil Neville was by far the best man on the pitch.

We where shit for 70 minutes of this game, the only time we looked better than them was for 20 minutes of the 2nd half, and this was a team that has only won one game of their last 16, has only scored 8 goals in 14 away games and are lying 2nd from bottom in the league. We can thank the gods that we were'nt playing a half decent team.

if that were the case, wouldn't we have the same MOTM every game?

or at the very least have the same players receive the same minimum of votes each game? (which is not the case)

do you actually disagree with the overall standings of MOTM? .. I find them to be quite accurate with Jagielka and Arteta leading the pack. Maybe only Neville should be a little higher. So this also unjustifies your statement...

I watched the whole game on tv (so no streaming problems, didn't miss a thing) and I can't believe you thought Neville was -BY FAR- the best player .. but that doesn't mean to me that you just vote Neville because you like him, I respect the fact that you saw the game that way even though I didn't..

we were indeed playing bad for a large part of this game, however we played much better than those atrocious efforts against newcastle and blackburn .. you need to look at this game in that light and then you can't deny obvious progress.. I actually applaud the fact that the overall sentiment on this forum is now one of optimism .. one good half and we're immediately behind our players again without bitching about this and that... we can build on this!

Well said Bill. I was first to vote for Nev and it surprised me how many were voting for the goal scorers without a thought for who was making the team tick. Saha missed chances he should have converted, Fellaini gave a vastly improved performance, it was about time but all match Nev was a trojan and it staggers me why others just can't see it. Pienaar was working away to to little avail and some of his passing, like Fellaini, was woeful. I suppose it has something to do with giving a dog a bad name, the Hibbophobics will know what I'm talking about. Like you I wish some could look beyond the end of their noses and actual appreciate the game.

Guest efctaxi
What did you guys make of Howard today ?

Didn't look a happy bunny at all :huh:

i think a keeper needs to be moody, get on everyones back so they dont mess up.

anyone see southall with a smile on his face in the middle of a hard fought game?

The thing that makes Howard the good keeper he is is that he is always in a seemingly bad mood. He's always screaming at each individual in the team which makes them aware of everything around them. There's no point having a goalkeeper that can't shout and get on people's backs. He's there to motivate the team and make sure that nothing goes into the net. He's the last resort, if he can make the defence do all the work then that means another clean sheet for him. The more he shouts the more the team works.

He's on of the best that I have seen at Goodison. Like StevO said, I don't remember seeing Neville Southall smiling and laughing in his goal-mouth midway through an important game. 100% focus is the key to winning any game.

Sorry guys if I wasn't clear enough .

What I meant was that Howard looked a little nervous throughout the match , and certainly wasn't his assured self either with his hands or his feet .

Definitely looked alike he was having one of those days . :)

Guest efctaxi

Admin abuse :lol:

Some credit has to go to Boro for the first half too . Not only were we not at our best , but they also played well first half .

It seems to me there is a bit of a come down from the highs in December / January / February , and some of us are still expecting similar performances . In a way , we are giving a good account of ourselves , especially considering our injuries , and also the fact that we have a cup tied striker .

December

7 Dec, 16:00 Everton 2 - 3 Aston Villa Premier League

13 Dec, 15:00 Manchester City 0 - 1 Everton Premier League ( efctaxi joins forum :P )

22 Dec, 20:00 Everton 0 - 0 Chelsea Premier League

26 Dec, 15:00 Middlesbrough 0 - 1 Everton Premier League

28 Dec, 14:00 Everton 3 - 0 Sunderland Premier League

January

3 Jan, 15:00 Macclesfield Town 0 - 1 Everton FA Cup

10 Jan, 15:00 Everton 2 - 0 Hull City Premier League

19 Jan, 20:00 Liverpool 1 - 1 Everton Premier League

25 Jan, 16:00 Liverpool 1 - 1 Everton FA Cup

28 Jan, 20:00 Everton 1 - 1 Arsenal Premier League

31 Jan, 17:30 Manchester United 1 - 0 Everton Premier League

February

4 Feb, 20:10 Everton 1 - 0 Liverpool FA Cup

7 Feb, 15:00 Everton 3 - 0 Bolton Wanderers Premier League

15 Feb, 14:30 Everton 3 - 1 Aston Villa FA Cup

22 Feb, 16:00 Newcastle United 0 - 0 Everton Premier League

28 Feb, 12:45 Everton 2 - 0 West Bromwich Premier League

March

4 Mar, 20:00 Blackburn Rovers 0 - 0 Everton Premier League

8 Mar, 16:00 Everton 2 - 1 Middlesbrough FA Cup

2 losses in 18 games , or more importantly only 1 loss in 17 games since Villa , and that was against United , and a penalty at that :)

That's over 3 months of absolute quality , and though we're struggling a little , we're still getting results , and not losing .

I'm surprised the monthly awards only happened once for our team .

Gotta stay positive :)

Neville might have been overlooked and Fellaini chosen , but it's all opinion .

Setanta gave the motm to Saha , but despite Neville having another good game , I certainly didn't offer my vote to Fellaini because he is my favourite player lol . My favourite player is a toss up between Baines and believe it or not Neville , for 2 very different reasons .

Baines for bringing the squad to life , and Neville for being a great captain .

My motm is still big bird though :D

I voted for Carsley he played great today, got us the points!

Fair enough :huh: .

..peeps are voting for their favourite player no matter how he plays..

If that was the case then Jags would be winning wouldn't he (and he has no votes at all)?

Or are you being Fellaini specific :D ?

Admin abuse :lol:

Some credit has to go to Boro for the first half too . Not only were we not at our best , but they also played well first half .

It seems to me there is a bit of a come down from the highs in December / January / February , and some of us are still expecting similar performances . In a way , we are giving a good account of ourselves , especially considering our injuries , and also the fact that we have a cup tied striker .

December

7 Dec, 16:00 Everton 2 - 3 Aston Villa Premier League

13 Dec, 15:00 Manchester City 0 - 1 Everton Premier League ( efctaxi joins forum :P )

22 Dec, 20:00 Everton 0 - 0 Chelsea Premier League

26 Dec, 15:00 Middlesbrough 0 - 1 Everton Premier League

28 Dec, 14:00 Everton 3 - 0 Sunderland Premier League

January

3 Jan, 15:00 Macclesfield Town 0 - 1 Everton FA Cup

10 Jan, 15:00 Everton 2 - 0 Hull City Premier League

19 Jan, 20:00 Liverpool 1 - 1 Everton Premier League

25 Jan, 16:00 Liverpool 1 - 1 Everton FA Cup

28 Jan, 20:00 Everton 1 - 1 Arsenal Premier League

31 Jan, 17:30 Manchester United 1 - 0 Everton Premier League

February

4 Feb, 20:10 Everton 1 - 0 Liverpool FA Cup

7 Feb, 15:00 Everton 3 - 0 Bolton Wanderers Premier League

15 Feb, 14:30 Everton 3 - 1 Aston Villa FA Cup

22 Feb, 16:00 Newcastle United 0 - 0 Everton Premier League

28 Feb, 12:45 Everton 2 - 0 West Bromwich Premier League

March

4 Mar, 20:00 Blackburn Rovers 0 - 0 Everton Premier League

8 Mar, 16:00 Everton 2 - 1 Middlesbrough FA Cup

2 losses in 18 games , or more importantly only 1 loss in 17 games since Villa , and that was against United , and a penalty at that :)

That's over 3 months of absolute quality , and though we're struggling a little , we're still getting results , and not losing .

I'm surprised the monthly awards only happened once for our team .

Gotta stay positive :)

Neville might have been overlooked and Fellaini chosen , but it's all opinion .

Setanta gave the motm to Saha , but despite Neville having another good game , I certainly didn't offer my vote to Fellaini because he is my favourite player lol . My favourite player is a toss up between Baines and believe it or not Neville , for 2 very different reasons .

Baines for bringing the squad to life , and Neville for being a great captain .

My motm is still big bird though :D

Morning Taxi youve had a late night, all those facts and figures look very nice and just shows how easily we should have disposed of Boro, who have had a complete reversal of those figures and only won one of the last 16 games.

They're all very nice stats but they have no relevance to the MOTM voting. ;)

The idea is that you choose the player you think gave the best performance for the 90 minutes against Boro, i know a lot of peeps see games in different ways and i usually respect thier vote, but on this occasion they are so far off the mark i wonder if they have ever seen a football match, and on what basis they judge an individual players performance.

I don't think it was just yesterday that Neville was overlooked but the last 5 or 6 games. Even when we were rubbish against Newcastle and Blackburn Neville was still performing well, when we played Villa in the cup when everyone raved about Rodwell, Neville still outshone him imo. He's been playing superb for months yet gets little or no recognition, if Rodwell ever wants to become a DM (I'm not convinced) then he could do with taking some lessons from Neville in how to go about it as at the moment Rodwell looks a little boy lost whilst Neville looks like a midfield general.

I'd also like to take up Jimmy's point about Hibbert in another post, he's another player who has been underappreciated this season, one mistake against Villa aside, he never put a foot wrong and we miss him badly at the moment as Jagielka isn't in the same class as a RB.

Looking at the motm standings for the season I think it's a joke how Neville, Hibbert, Howard and in particular Lescott aren't higher in the standings. Lescott has been just as good as Jags (and better in quite a few matches) for the past 3 or 4 months. He has hardly made a mistake, he's excellent in the air, nearly always in the right place and he is a lot better on the ball than Jags. As brilliant as Jags has been (and he has been brilliant), Lescott is the classier player.

oh and a mention for Osman yesterday, he wasn't 100% back to his best but he was 10000 times better than he has been in recent weeks, his energy and workrate seemed to be back as well. His closing down got us one of the goals.

Edited by carlmc25

I don't think it was just yesterday that Neville was overlooked but the last 5 or 6 games. Even when we were rubbish against Newcastle and Blackburn Neville was still performing well, when we played Villa in the cup when everyone raved about Rodwell, Neville still outshone him imo. He's been playing superb for months yet gets little or no recognition, if Rodwell ever wants to become a DM (I'm not convinced) then he could do with taking some lessons from Neville in how to go about it as at the moment Rodwell looks a little boy lost whilst Neville looks like a midfield general.

I'd also like to take up Jimmy's point about Hibbert in another post, he's another player who has been underappreciated this season, one mistake against Villa aside, he never put a foot wrong and we miss him badly at the moment as Jagielka isn't in the same class as a RB.

Looking at the motm standings for the season I think it's a joke how Neville, Hibbert, Howard and in particular Lescott aren't higher in the standings. Lescott has been just as good as Jags (and better in quite a few matches) for the past 3 or 4 months. He has hardly made a mistake, he's excellent in the air, nearly always in the right place and he is a lot better on the ball than Jags. As brilliant as Jags has been (and he has been brilliant), Lescott is the classier player.

oh and a mention for Osman yesterday, he wasn't 100% back to his best but he was 10000 times better than he has been in recent weeks, his energy and workrate seemed to be back as well. His closing down got us one of the goals.

:D:P

Cant agree more but keep it quiet or Taxi will want to sell them all!

if that were the case, wouldn't we have the same MOTM every game?

or at the very least have the same players receive the same minimum of votes each game? (which is not the case)

do you actually disagree with the overall standings of MOTM? .. I find them to be quite accurate with Jagielka and Arteta leading the pack. Maybe only Neville should be a little higher. So this also unjustifies your statement...

I watched the whole game on tv (so no streaming problems, didn't miss a thing) and I can't believe you thought Neville was -BY FAR- the best player .. but that doesn't mean to me that you just vote Neville because you like him, I respect the fact that you saw the game that way even though I didn't..

we were indeed playing bad for a large part of this game, however we played much better than those atrocious efforts against newcastle and blackburn .. you need to look at this game in that light and then you can't deny obvious progress.. I actually applaud the fact that the overall sentiment on this forum is now one of optimism .. one good half and we're immediately behind our players again without bitching about this and that... we can build on this!

Well I was at the game and, as I have said before, Neville was our best player BY FAR. You might have seen the game on TV but seeing the game live you get to see everything that the camera doesn't pick up on, as I am sure you already know. Neville lead the team by example yesterday. I am not a Neville fan boy. He is not my favourite player, though i do think he is a great captain. This will be one of the first times I have voted for him this season so its not favouritism on my behalf. I am just saying it as I saw it. Neville didn't put a foot wrong, many other players did.

Well I was at the game and, as I have said before, Neville was our best player BY FAR. You might have seen the game on TV but seeing the game live you get to see everything that the camera doesn't pick up on, as I am sure you already know. Neville lead the team by example yesterday. I am not a Neville fan boy. He is not my favourite player, though i do think he is a great captain. This will be one of the first times I have voted for him this season so its not favouritism on my behalf. I am just saying it as I saw it. Neville didn't put a foot wrong, many other players did.

Jamie, I watched it at home and Nev was BY FAR the best player on the park, you also know I'm not one of his biggest fans either. Basically that is what Bill was on about, the only explanation can be that those voting for the improved Mo wear wigs :(:P

Holystove ........(1).. if that were the case, wouldn't we have the same MOTM every game?

(2)...do you actually disagree with the overall standings of MOTM? .. I find them to be quite accurate with Jagielka and Arteta leading the pack. Maybe only Neville should be a little higher. So this also unjustifies your statement...

--------

(1).. NO, because different peeps have different favourites and votes are spread. Early on in the season, i'm not sure which game it was and cant be bothered searching for it, we had a sub come on in the 85th minute and somebody actually voted for him as MOTM :huh: he was only on the pitch for 5 mins ffs, thats the sort of thing i'm talking about. And if you look back on all the threads you can find more examples.

(2).. YES, not so much the top 2 or 3 but as Carl has already pointed out in his post which is further up the thread, Neville, Lescott, Pienaar, and Hibbert havent recieved the votes they deserve, but the worst of all imo is Joseph Yobo :o even Noah Baahdi has had more votes than Yobo (8 points all season), that is idiotic.

All the players play for our team and should be looked on as equals but they're not, Arteta is most peoples darling and will always get some votes even when he has been rubbish, Hibbert is everybodys scapegoat and will never be given any votes even when he deserves them.

So what i'm saying is if people stop voting for their favourites and give their vote to somebody who actually has had a good game, it would cast a fairer reflection in the overall standings.

Me too and agree with you 100%.

(1).. NO, because different peeps have different favourites and votes are spread. Early on in the season, i'm not sure which game it was and cant be bothered searching for it, we had a sub come on in the 85th minute and somebody actually voted for him as MOTM :huh: he was only on the pitch for 5 mins ffs, thats the sort of thing i'm talking about. And if you look back on all the threads you can find more examples.

so how does that translate into this game? ... the equivalent of what you describe would be if for example Rodwell had received a vote seeing how he only played one half and not a very good one at that ...

while in this MOTM vote I think there's an argument to be made for every player that received a vote.

jamie's probably right in saying that you get a better sense of what Neville does when you're at the game, maybe he does a lot of stuff away from the ball that you don't get to see on TV...

anyway it doesn't matter.. I just thought that your post in which you said that you (an admin) wanted to abandon such a popular feature as MOTM because you didn't think it reflected the way you saw the game was something that needed to be responded to :) .

Well yesterdays man of the match has opened up a can of worms and true to form I shall open it further with my own opinion, as viewed from my lovely speck in the Upper Gwladys Street. Apart from scoring Fellaini was atrocious and I can't believe the amount of MOM's votes he got for yesterday and I am one of his lesser critics, his passing was poor and his work rate was dismal. The defence was solid enough but did have some shaky moments and I believe that is because Jagielka is playing out of position. The best player was Neville, again he had to carry Rodwell, who like at Blackburn, looked out of his depth. Neville was tidy enough, strong in the tackle and won a fair few headers. I think he his an underrated player and does not seem to get any credit whatsoever, unlike flavours of the month.

Holystove ........... I think there's an argument to be made for every player that received a vote.

But my argument is for those who didnt, Jagielka, Yobo, and Osman altho not at their best where still much better than Fellaini.

And i didnt say i wanted to abandon it ... Quote (i really think we should think about abandoning). Simply because its not giving a fair reflection of how most players have played.

You and i obviously dont see it the same so i will leave it at that, but i'm just hoping that this discussion has made some people aware that voting for favourites is not how its done, just asking peeps to be truthfull and be fair, they are all EFC players. ;)

Guest efctaxi
Holystove ........... I think there's an argument to be made for every player that received a vote.

But my argument is for those who didnt, Jagielka, Yobo, and Osman altho not at their best where still much better than Fellaini.

And i didnt say i wanted to abandon it ... Quote (i really think we should think about abandoning). Simply because its not giving a fair reflection of how most players have played.

You and i obviously dont see it the same so i will leave it at that, but i'm just hoping that this discussion has made some people aware that voting for favourites is not how its done, just asking peeps to be truthfull and be fair, they are all EFC players. ;)

Bill , with respect , why do you look at your view on the match as being the correct one ?

I have to be honest and say that some of your comments are slightly harsh . The whole idea of a vote is to allow folks to vote freely , and not have to justify themselves in doing so . What you are doing here is the equivalent of putting a bouncer on the door of voting booths to ensure votes go according to plan .

On this forum , there are members from all age groups , and each will have a different perspective and indeed opinion . If they vote , they should be allowed to vote without without having to justify themselves , or have others tell them they are wrong , or biased .

The fact that you are an admin still only gets you one vote ya big banana , so use it .

Accusing folks of voting for their favourites , or being untruthful or unfair is a bit ................. well ........... let's just say it's unexpected from a man of your intelligence and calibre :)

Now stop crying ya big closet red wally :lol:

Bill , with respect , why do you look at your view on the match as being the correct one ?

I have to be honest and say that some of your comments are slightly harsh . The whole idea of a vote is to allow folks to vote freely , and not have to justify themselves in doing so . What you are doing here is the equivalent of putting a bouncer on the door of voting booths to ensure votes go according to plan .

On this forum , there are members from all age groups , and each will have a different perspective and indeed opinion . If they vote , they should be allowed to vote without without having to justify themselves , or have others tell them they are wrong , or biased .

The fact that you are an admin still only gets you one vote ya big banana , so use it .

Accusing folks of voting for their favourites , or being untruthful or unfair is a bit ................. well ........... let's just say it's unexpected from a man of your intelligence and calibre :)

Now stop crying ya big closet red wally :lol:

It was'nt just my view, lots of peeps also saw it that way, the only ones who didnt are the peeps who can only see one or two players ( the ones they like ) on the field, and dismiss the other nine. I havent mentioned any peeps in particular so if everybodys conscience is clear on how they voted and they think they have done the right thing they have nothing to get upset about. Is that why your having a go, didnt you vote Fellaini. ???

And i dont like the way you have a good go at me and then try to make out everything was a joke by trying to finish off by trying to be Humerous, thats a bit two faced for my liking.

Either you have a go or you dont, but you cant mix the two and get away without me responding. Ive agreed to dis-agree with Holystove and as far as i'm concerned the same goes for this conversation as well.

Guest efctaxi
It was'nt just my view, lots of peeps also saw it that way, the only ones who didnt are the peeps who can only see one or two players ( the ones they like ) on the field, and dismiss the other nine. I havent mentioned any peeps in particular so if everybodys conscience is clear on how they voted and they think they have done the right thing they have nothing to get upset about. Is that why your having a go, didnt you vote Fellaini. ???

And i dont like the way you have a good go at me and then try to make out everything was a joke by trying to finish off by trying to be Humerous, thats a bit two faced for my liking.

Either you have a go or you dont, but you cant mix the two and get away without me responding. Ive agreed to dis-agree with Holystove and as far as i'm concerned the same goes for this conversation as well.

Grow up Bill .

Is that having a go enough for you mate ? :angry: