IGNORED

Should We Buy The Rest Of The Standard Liege Midfield

I think we should try and get witxcehl and defour and team them with fellani. or atleast give us a decent squad.

Its Witsel you mean ;)

Defour could cope with the level, I have my doubts about witsel.

If you want those two you'll need alot of money, seeing how much fellaini costed.

The 3 of them would make our midfield to young and unexperienced.

So it's no for me

edit: maybe defour, if we were to replace arteta (good point holystove), and if we had alot of money.

Edited by Churinga

EW..... Well we could do a swap deal, we'll take Defour and they can have Fellaini :D

_ _ _ _ _

I'm in two minds about that, Fellaini was supposed to be the best player in their team, so i'm not sure what the others would be like. ;)

Moyes bought fellaini because of his height and physical capabilities as opposed to Defour who resembles Pienaar en Osman more.

I think it's hard to compare the two.

Given Everton's situation, Fellaini was probably the better buy ..

but if I were to start a team from scratch and I had to choose between the two, taking Defour would be a no brainer.

I am deadly serious there are two young players who both are highly rated and obvioulsy may cost but wouldn't it help our record signing to get a couple of old teammates in. I also think defour would provide a good foil or even competetion/cover for arteta and wixtel would also be good cover for the whole midfield.

I am deadly serious there are two young players who both are highly rated and obvioulsy may cost but wouldn't it help our record signing to get a couple of old teammates in. I also think defour would provide a good foil or even competetion/cover for arteta and wixtel would also be good cover for the whole midfield.

partly the problem :) .. by overpaying for one of them, moyes set the price pretty high for the other two ...

besides they're both CM's , one playing in Arteta's position and the other playing where Moyes uses Fellaini.

no sense in spending £35mil on two players you don't really need.

Defour would be an amazing buy for Everton! He's a bit of an arrogant jerk but that ain't always a bad quality.

I would love to see a midfield Defour-Arteta-Fellaini/Cahil.

The guy's got amazing defensive qualities(he's fucking everywhere), he's also got a pretty good touch, he can crack open a defense with one pass(you guys should have noticed that :P ), ... he really is a good player and I think he's ready for the PL.

His only flaw in my eyes is his size, he doesn't win enough headers but I think Fellaini or Cahill can balance that out.

Witsel isn't a player for Everton ... make no mistake ... he is an enormous talent! One of the best allround midfielders in my eyes. The kid's got everything but there's no place for him at Everton.

234ever ....Defour would be an amazing buy for Everton! He's a bit of an arrogant jerk but that ain't always a bad quality.

--------

Didnt you say this about Fellaini. ??? <_<

and Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer agree :D

but 234ever is right in the fact that Defour would be a good buy for any team that buys him.

The reason Witsel wouldn't fit in with Everton has to do with the fact that he's better suited for the more technical Spanish League instead of the rougher premier league... that kid is not tough at all.. i think he's about the same age as rodwell but j-rod could push him around.

Edited by holystove

The reason Witsel wouldn't fit in with Everton has to do with the fact that he's better suited for the more technical Spanish League instead of the rougher premier league... that kid is not tough at all.. i think he's about the same age as rodwell but j-rod could push him around.

I don't think thats the reason, he could use some extra muscle, but he's not the pushover you make of him.

i think he's just not ready yet to go to a bigger league, this is only his second season as a starting playerin Belgium.

if you compare that to defour, this must be his fifth or so season?

If he would come to us in PL for big money, i'm not sure he will cope with the pressure

234ever ....Defour would be an amazing buy for Everton! He's a bit of an arrogant jerk but that ain't always a bad quality.

--------

Didnt you say this about Fellaini. ??? dry.gif

:sleeping_03anim:

why?

Witsel plays more or less at the same position as Fellaini and Cahill. He's not a defensive midfielder but not an attacking one either, he's a box to box player and Everton has got enough of those I think.

A type Defour on the other hand ...

--------

Didnt you say this about Fellaini. ??? <_<

I only joined this forum after Everton-Man Utd so no I didn't say that.

But I do think Fellaini will be a magnificent player for Everton and a terror for every opponent.

I'm from Liège and a fan of Standard Liège. So I hope I can clarify some misconceptions about some of the players.

First of all, Defour is not like Arteta. Arteta is a winger with excellent dribbling skills and acceleration. Allthough Defour has played as attacking midfielder/box-to-box in his early days in Genk and his first seasons at Standard because of his vision and great passes, he now plays right in front of the defense, Fellaini's old spot. He plays as a deep-lying playmaker and he's never played better. He dictates the game, everything (!) goes through him. It's clear that that's his best position because of his great long and crossfield passes, his vision to spot openings and get the ball there with excellent short passes, his creativity, his first ball control... And of course his amazing stamina. I think he goes well over 10 km's every game. Most deep-lying playmakers, require more of a defensive midfielder next to them, but he doesn't because (all though his tackling needs to improve) he'll run his longs out, he's really everywhere blocking shots and stealing passes. He's got great off-the-ball-intelligence. He's only 20 years old but he's an exceptional captain for the team. He always plays with a lot of grinta. Some things he should work on are his tackling and his shots at goal. But he would definitely be a good buy for Everton.

Axel Witsel is more of an all-round midfielder. Last year (his first in first team of Standard) he played as a winger which he did excellent, allthough he played as a defensive midfielder in the youth teams. This season, due to Fellaini's depart to Everton, there was a vacant spot in the center. Defour moved to Fellaini's spot and Witsel to Defour's, now playing as a box-to-box. Someone here says he's not though and can be pushed around? I don't even know where people get shit like that. He ain't a beast like for example Fellaini is, but he's certainly a physically strong player, much stronger than Defour. As i said, he's more of an all-round midfielder. He's got good stamina, tackling, passing, shooting, heading, dribbling and he's got some very nice Futsal-moves. Which he shows here (images begin at 0:44): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ToD_Ug46T0...re=channel_page

He'd also be a good buy, but I don't know if he would be for Everton because you guys already got Cahill, Fellaini...

Something I wanted to know is what Everton-fans (like you :P) think of Fellaini. How's he been? I hear he plays more like an offensive midfielder (sometimes even striker :lol:) at Everton while he always played/plays as a defensive in Belgium and in the national team.

First of all, Defour is not like Arteta. Arteta is a winger with excellent dribbling skills and acceleration.

im an evertonian, and Arteta is not a winger, has never been a winger. been a right or left midfielder at times, but cant carry the label of being a winger. hes a central midfielder by trade and has recently excelled when returning to this position. just wanted to tidy that one up.

welcome to TT

(that all looks very saracstic when read back, not intended)

im an evertonian, and Arteta is not a winger, has never been a winger. been a right or left midfielder at times, but cant carry the label of being a winger. hes a central midfielder by trade and has recently excelled when returning to this position. just wanted to tidy that one up.

welcome to TT

(that all looks very saracstic when read back, not intended)

yeah Arteta is definately not a winger .. and Defour plays in the exact SAME position as Arteta has been playing before the injury.. given the way they play they are very similar .. tough to say who of them is better because all Defour does is face weak competition week in week out, so it's easy to shine..

anyway, it seems he said in some Walloon newspaper (la derniere heure) that he won't come to Everton if Standard manage to qualify for Europa Cup or Champions Leauge (which is very likely). (presuming that moyes would even want him)