IGNORED

The Times All Time Top 50 Everton Players

MikeO

Glad the "Golden Vision" was top 5, i never saw Dean or Lawton, so i would have voted For Alex Young as the best centre forward in my time, Cant say he was the highest goalscoring forward, but he gave me immense pleasure in the way he played the game, so supremely skilfull that when he went past players it appeared as tho he went straight through them (hence the nickname), he was also gifted with a football brain 2nd to none, and made the game look so easy.

For the sheer delight of watching him play i've not seen a player to match him since. :thumbsup_anim:

Cant argue with Bally and Big Nev in their positions. :)

It was obvious that Dixie would end up on the top spot, and it's hard to see who will better him. He was quite something even though I never saw him play any games. I was surprised to see that Phil Neville wasn't on that list. I woulden't expect him to be that high up with all of the legends we have but he surely deserves to be in the Top 50.

It's good to see that Sharp, Southall, Grey and Cahill feature on the list, players well deserving of the placement they have. I wasn't around to see the players like Alex Young play but from what I have seen on tapes and what I have heard from the fans (like Bill) he was quite something. It's good to see this list and see just how good of a team we are.

Expect to see the likes of Jagielka, Neville, Arteta & Howard on there in years to come - I hope they are. :)

love this about sheedy

Another genius signing by Kendall, he gave the two-fingered salute to the Kop after scoring, pushing him higher up this list.

:lol: good lad! :D love the free kick he scored when he took it early it was disallowed so he stuck it in the other side :D

and about reid

In the seminal second-leg game against Bayern Munich, Reid, lying prone with a huge gash on his shin from a Lothar Matthaus tackle, ran to the touchline and instead of leaving to repair his wound, thrust a wet sponge down his sock and carried on

that'd be summat jags would do :D

and arteta is on there :D

Edited by marcopaulo

Another player "stolen" from the Reds was Johnny Morrisey a very underated player, he wasnt very big and a bit on the chunky side but hard as nails, he was the only player i saw in the local derbys that gave Tommy Smith a hard time, everybody else was scared of him but not Mogsy, he often took the piss and Smithy was often left on his arse when Morrisey played, its good to see he made it into the 50.

Great memories. :D

I personally think Cahill and Arteta are ridiculously low, particularly Cahill as since he has been at the club he has delivered non-stop. It's a different game now to what it was 20 years ago, it is a lot more difficult to win the FA Cup and personally I think finishing 4th was as big an achievement as winning the cup was in 95. To see the likes to the patchy Anders Limpar above Cahill and Arteta is a bit of a joke. Also Wayne Rooney, he may be a talented footballer but purely based on his time at Everton he was rubbish, talented but useless to the team. The season he played a lot of matches we finished with our lowest points total in history or something. I really begrudge him getting anywhere near our top 1000 players never mind top 50 and that's not just because I dislike him personally but because he did nothing for the club except give us a lot of money in transfer fees, putting him above Arteta and Cahill is an insult. Glad to see the likes of Dave Watson so high up, what a servant he was. The best Everton player I've ever had the priviledge of seeing is Neville Southall. I also think Tony Cottee is a bit too high but there you go.

I personally think Cahill and Arteta are ridiculously low, particularly Cahill as since he has been at the club he has delivered non-stop. It's a different game now to what it was 20 years ago, it is a lot more difficult to win the FA Cup and personally I think finishing 4th was as big an achievement as winning the cup was in 95. To see the likes to the patchy Anders Limpar above Cahill and Arteta is a bit of a joke. Also Wayne Rooney, he may be a talented footballer but purely based on his time at Everton he was rubbish, talented but useless to the team. The season he played a lot of matches we finished with our lowest points total in history or something. I really begrudge him getting anywhere near our top 1000 players never mind top 50 and that's not just because I dislike him personally but because he did nothing for the club except give us a lot of money in transfer fees, putting him above Arteta and Cahill is an insult. Glad to see the likes of Dave Watson so high up, what a servant he was. The best Everton player I've ever had the priviledge of seeing is Neville Southall. I also think Tony Cottee is a bit too high but there you go.

I agree with you about Rooney, baring the Arsenal game he did little while in an Everton shirt. Though saying he shouldn't be in a top 1000 seems a little overstepping the mark. He at least sparked energy into the side and also sparked more media interest into Everton. Looking back it is easy to criticise his time with us, but while he was here he was a messiah. He could make a couple of brilliant touches and that was enough for the crowd. Its a tricky one, but the fact is he is in there becasue he is an everton product. Even his time after us at United he is still a product of eveton's youth system. I do think that on performances for the club though that Timmy and Arteta should be miles ahead of him.

I reckon he should be tbh. Great servant to the club and bought for buttons.

I was just thinking about Weir myself, I agree that he should definitely be in there, Walter Smith's best signing by far.

As for Rooney Jamie, I understand your point but in that final season Rooney played for us I thought he was quite simply crap and wanted us to sell him for £20-30 no problem. I'm not denying he is one of our more talented players but I'd put many players ahead of him for their contribution on the pitch, including even the likes of Osman, Hibbert (never mind Lescott, Jags, Howard, Rideout) etc. I know that may be controversial to some but I honestly feel that he did little in an Everton shirt that warranted his love affair with the club or the transfer fee that was paid for him, the best thing Kenwright ever did (apart from get Moyes) was to sell Rooney. I don't even think he is that good now tbh but I'll leave it there as I know some Everton fans, not you, will take it hard as they still seem to see Rooney as one of them.

To see the likes to the patchy Anders Limpar above Cahill and Arteta is a bit of a joke.

This was the same what i were thinking. Anyway i thought it was very good read. Those lists are always opinion on a listmaker, but you can find some truth out of there. I would exist rooney from whole list, just being a talent , shouldnt get you anywhere near any clubs top 50 of all time, may be just a mention somewhere outside of the list. There were also of course couple of players ive never heard of, but was nice to see another great characters in this so much loved club. My personal favourites from my time has been , Tony Cottee, Big Dunc(of course, my hero) Neville Southall and Graeme Sharp. Im bit shocked, but i somehow cant remember anything about Sheedy :o is the years he playd in the list correct with him. I have some strange black hole in my brains if the time is correct there. May be im havin BSE...

Edited by LexKing