IGNORED

Fa Cup Winners Or 4th

RuffRob

Both still tough tasks considering the hurdles - but both much shorter odds than back in August.

So if you had the choice what would it be - FA Cup glory - or Champion's League Football (and I am assuming we would at least get to the group stages and the money it would bring - what is it about £25M say)

Interesting question becasue -

A FA Cup is a decent bit of silverware (which is hard to comeby these days) and be forever written in the history. But financially is neither here or there.

or

The CL and the money along with the carrot it would dangle to potential signings.

My heart says FA Cup, but the head says the CL would maybe do us better with regarding the future.

FA Cup winners for me though

Can i be greedy and ask for both. :D

Would love both but either would be fantastic. Cup win didn't do Pompey much good so for long term stability gotta say 4th. Would be great to win a trophy though particulary as it would have meant kocking out the shite, villa, mancs and arse or chelsea. I honestly don't know which means it been a bit of a waste of time replying right?? :)

FA Cup all the way, we're still not good enough for CL in my opinion, and I think we'd do better to have a shot at the europa league next year.

I agree.... FA cup would be a nice piece of silverware to add to the cabinet, and I think we've got more of a chance of winning something like the Europe League/Cup (whatever its called nowadays).

End the end of the day, I want us to win something. 4th's all well and good, but it's not winning anything.

i want us to win the fa cup but id love 4th so id say both :)

but we are good enough for the group stages of the champions league and with the money that it generates we can add the quality we need

we are certainly good enough for the champions league could u imagine a tuesday night everton playing barcelona in the champions league it would be great

and u never know a decent draw and a bit of luck and we could make the knockout stage

I would obviously love both but i would say the FAcup is the most logical choice as already said we are not good enough to challenge the big teams in Europe maybe with abit more quality and depth to the squad but as it stands not much chance whereas we would have a much better chance in the European cup, so FA cup please :lol:

Edited by EFC-Paul

I think that if we went into Europa we would have a decent chance of actually winning it. With the performances that we have been putting in throughout this season we could look at challenging the holders and pushing for the final. I do not think that we are ready for the Champions League however. It would be good to be in yes, but I don't want it to be like last time where we flop at the Qualifying stages, if we did get into 4th I think that the groups would be a minimum. The whole Europe thing is relitavly new to us so I think out best bet would be to hold out for Europa.

And the FA Cup is what gets remembered. 6th place & FA Cup winners suits me fine. It would be a great achievement and thats the thing that we need to push for, silverware. Through silverware comes the whole package of being a top football club. We would be known as the two time FA Cup winners (in recent years) which would improve our clubs status.

I want the cup.

I was wondering, is there any good money in winning the fa cup?

Good question, hadn't thought of that.

Looked it up, we've earned £775,000 in prize money so far, guaranteed another £500,000 even if we were to lose to ManU. If we were to win it'd be £1m and then the final winners get another £2m, runners-up £1m.

Useful money but not a patch on the Champs League.

The problem with going for the Europa next season, which as has been said we'd have a chance of winning with a bit of luck and form, is that it'll take nineteen games to achieve that. That's an extra half season, with our squad size? League form would definitely suffer. Better for me to go into the Champs League group stage, earn the money, get knocked out so we can concentrate on our league position and use the money to increase squad size and quality for a serious go at Europe in the following years. Simple :) .

the way we can get more money into the club and improve is making champions league!

champs league would bring in at least 20 million pounds wouldnt so it would be great for our transfer budget and then hopefully we could add players but not lose any

(well vic can go, so can AVDM)

Edited by Sprooly

4TH for me. As much as I would love the cup it wouldnt help us long term.

£20mill+ from the group stages of the champs league would do us nicely, and we are one of the few clubs who has a chairman who loves the club and I'm betting he would release the whole amount to Moyesy along with the usual £15mill he seems to raise every season.

So a transfer kitty of around £30-35mill added to the quality we already have sounds a really exciting proposition.

Still its a bit of a dream as I personally think arsenal will get the 4th spot, but hey the boys have suprised me so far this season so why not!!!!

Good question, hadn't thought of that.

Looked it up, we've earned £775,000 in prize money so far, guaranteed another £500,000 even if we were to lose to ManU. If we were to win it'd be £1m and then the final winners get another £2m, runners-up £1m.

Useful money but not a patch on the Champs League.

The problem with going for the Europa next season, which as has been said we'd have a chance of winning with a bit of luck and form, is that it'll take nineteen games to achieve that. That's an extra half season, with our squad size? League form would definitely suffer. Better for me to go into the Champs League group stage, earn the money, get knocked out so we can concentrate on our league position and use the money to increase squad size and quality for a serious go at Europe in the following years. Simple :) .

My thoughts exactly, we'd all love to win the cup but there is no comparison financially between winning the cup and qualifying for the Champions League. Winning the cup would make us all feel good for a year or two but make no lasting difference, getting into the Champions League could quite easily make us between £10-20m which could help transform our club. I'd have to choose 4th place over winning the cup.

I'm betting he would release the whole amount to Moyesy along with the usual £15mill he seems to raise every season.

So a transfer kitty of around £30-35mill added to the quality we already have sounds a really exciting proposition.

Let me know where you buy your cornflakes from mate they seem to have magical effect :lol:

FA Cup. Everyday of the week. Nobody remembers who finishes 4th. We have proven that already. The money of the CL would be good but I would honestly prefer to win a trophy then have no chance of really competing in another.

We have as much chance winning the FA Cup as the Champions League surely, all the best teams in Europe are in the Premier League, hence why Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd and Liverpool are all in the latter stages. The FA Cup is a brief joy, Champions League qualification (not getting knocked out before we qualify like last time) is potentially a defining moment. Just ask Portsmouth what they'd prefer, they won the cup last year and look at them now. Getting into the top 4 again would prove that it's no fluke and would prove how good a team we have, it would be an absolutely unbelievable achievement considering the injuries we've had. Moyes must once again be in the running for manager of the year.

My thoughts exactly, we'd all love to win the cup but there is no comparison financially between winning the cup and qualifying for the Champions League. Winning the cup would make us all feel good for a year or two but make no lasting difference, getting into the Champions League could quite easily make us between £10-20m which could help transform our club. I'd have to choose 4th place over winning the cup.

The FA CUP for me, that way at least the "noughties" wont be a barren decade for us and well, we all saw what can happen after an FA CUP win back in 1984 (ignore what happened after 1995 :blink: )

In fact if we dont win it then I believe it would be our 2nd most barren spell in our history. And if we win nowt for 3 seasons after this it WILL be our most barren period EVER!!!. And I dont want that.

I know we need money and if we get in the chumps league it will mean more cash and in turn more chance of competing etc. But as we all know money DOES NOT guarantee success.

The FA CUP for me, that way at least the "noughties" wont be a barren decade for us and well, we all saw what can happen after an FA CUP win back in 1984 (ignore what happened after 1995 :blink: )

In fact if we dont win it then I believe it would be our 2nd most barren spell in our history. And if we win nowt for 3 seasons after this it WILL be our most barren period EVER!!!. And I dont want that.

I know we need money and if we get in the chumps league it will mean more cash and in turn more chance of competing etc. But as we all know money DOES NOT guarantee success.

At the same token, I can virtually guarantee that no money does guarantee you no success. Looking at our league run in and the remaining games that we have in the FA Cup, one could argue that finishing 4th in the league is a more realistic aim than winning the cup. I'd be happy with either, winning something would be brilliant but for me, finishing 4th would be like winning the league.

At the same token, I can virtually guarantee that no money does guarantee you no success. Looking at our league run in and the remaining games that we have in the FA Cup, one could argue that finishing 4th in the league is a more realistic aim than winning the cup. I'd be happy with either, winning something would be brilliant but for me, finishing 4th would be like winning the league.

And there speaks the voice of youth (I'm guessing there like). But I think people of my age (late 30's) and older perhaps view the FA CUP with more importance than younger folk (and maybe more importance than it deserves nowadays??).

Sorry but I cant subscribe to the idea that finishing 4th would be like "winning the league".

For me finishing 4th would be like... er, finishing 4th. But hey, thats just me.

Cup, we aint got a strong enough squad to compete in the C.L. ..........YET

It's not about competing in the CL at the moment, it's about getting into the CL, getting the money to strengthen the team/squad and then trying to finish 4th again when hopefully we will be able to compete. We're never going to be strong enough unless we get some money and we're never going to get any money until we either qualify or get taken over - and to be taken over we probably need to be a more attractive proposition and the CL would help! I'd far rather we kept our current leadership (ie not be taken over like Man City) and started to get increased revenue from the CL to transfer our fortunes.

It's not about competing in the CL at the moment, it's about getting into the CL, getting the money to strengthen the team/squad and then trying to finish 4th again when hopefully we will be able to compete. We're never going to be strong enough unless we get some money and we're never going to get any money until we either qualify or get taken over - and to be taken over we probably need to be a more attractive proposition and the CL would help! I'd far rather we kept our current leadership (ie not be taken over like Man City) and started to get increased revenue from the CL to transfer our fortunes.

we aint going to compete with the big spenders untill some oil tycoon buys us, there are a lot of teams with billions to spend in England now so we cant guatantee the top 6 or 7 every year at the moment, Villa, Man City, Spurs, West Ham to name a few will surely strengthen in the summer.

i would happily take the cup FOR NOW