IGNORED

Maximum Points?

dark

After that crushing 4-0 win over Wigan Athletic can we start to look at maximum points from now till the end of the season? The next two games in the Premiership will be really tough, Aston Villa & Chelsea away and these are the games that could make us drop points. From the Chelsea game I do believe that we can get maximum points.

After Chelsea this is who we have left to play:

Manchester City: H

Sunderland: A

Tottenham: H

West Ham: H

Fulham: A

If we do defeat Chelsea & Aston Villa we will be well on our way to defeating the teams that follow.

The question is, realistically can we get maximum points from now till May?

Out of the possible 21 points we really need to take as much as we can as Villa's toughest game is against us and i can see them winning their remaining games after they play us which if we win would put them on 70 we need at least a draw against Chelsea and to win the rest which would put us on 70 also but we have a better goal difference as it stands its going to be very very close.

I think this weekend's game will be quite an important game. The winner will hold 5th spot on Sunday evening. Also, if we win, its gonna put more pressure on Villa, who haven't been getting their results lately, and just might give us the psychological edge we need. I don't think we'll get three points at Chelsea, put a point would be good enough for me. Of the other games, West Ham and Fulham, may be places where we drop points, but as long as we play we've got a chance.

Looking at Arsenal's run in, they've still got to play the top three teams in the league, and if they lose those games, there's a good chance that we could all end up on 70 points and it'll go to goal difference. Villa's run in looks a bit easier, once we've finished with them, but they play Newcastle on the last day, and that could be a difficult game for them, depending on how Newcastle do until then, I don't see them going down, but it's gonna be close for them, they may just have to do it on the final day.

It's a fact that Aston Villa's form has dipped and the loss against Manchester United is going to do them no favours at all. With the low morale and our players hungry for revenge we can go and nick the three points out on Saturday. Villa have high pressure's and we could actually say that we are in the driving seat ahead of the game. We have nothing to lose to be fair as we are already behind, it's up to Villa to throw the 5th place away which I am confident they will do.

After Villa its Chelsea where we could just nick one point. After Chelsea it's going to be maximum points IMO, the only way we would not is if we made silly mistakes and slip up which I doubt we will. 4th place does look like it could come, reallistically we could be in the Champions League come September 09'

....4th place does look like it could come, reallistically we could be in the Champions League come September 09'

Realistically you can get 14/1 on us finishing in the top four, if you think it's going to happen get your dad down the bookies and you could make yourself a tidy profit. I'll not be bothering.

Arsenal are (at best) 1/6, but it's money in the bank imo.

Arsenal would have to lose three games for us to have a realistic chance of getting to fourth and on top of that we need Villa to drop points. I can not see Arsenal losing the three big games they have to play they have started to play well now and will give the top three a run for their money in those games.

To be honest as much as i would love 4th spot it doesn't really bother me to much as we have done a great job to be where we are now and to grap 5th from Villa would be a great achievement considering the luck we have had this season.

This is my prediction for how the table will look at the end of the season. I think Arsenal will win lose and draw against the top three teams and i will go into mystic meg mode and say they will beat United draw with Liverpool and be beaten by Chelsea ;)

We should do Villa on goal difference if things pan out the way i think they will :rolleyes:

4th - Arsenal - 74

5th - Everton - 70

6th - Villa - 70

If arsenal lose all 3 matches against the other big 3, then yes I see an outside long-shot possibility of us possibly maybe getting enough points to draw level with them, but i doubt it.

I'd be much happier with Europa League next year, I'm off on thursdays anyway but more importantly we'd be better in it. We'd actually have a good chance of winning it if we start well. Champs league unless we buy 4/5 really good players in the summer will be a waste of time, we'll lose the qualifiers and then have another european-less season.

I'd rather us get 2 or 3 good players in the summer and get a champs league finish next season.

I agree completely, as much as I'd like to see us nick fourth (it would be a great achievement) and then play in the CL next year, I just don't think we've got the squad to progress in it. I'd much rather see us play in the Europa where we've got a good chance of outclassing most if not all of the teams in the competition, and perhaps even have a chance of winning it. I would like to see us in the CL, but I'd also like to see some silverware, and as far as Europe is concern, the CL is way beyond our reach at this moment in time.

Saying that though, I definitely want us to finish higher than Villa, we've got to keep hold of our 'Best of the Rest' crown.

With them being in the lower leagues for so long we haven't had much change to beat them at their place. We certainly haven't done it since 2001 when they were promoted. Louis Saha scored his first goal against his former club and will be wanting to do it again. Hopefully the cottage hoodoo will end with a win this season. We need all the points we can get and don't need to be slipping up against the teams we can beat.

It won't be easy. They stuffed United 2-0 and gave Liverpool a game till the end.

AJ too, he'll always be a threat against us. Just hope that Lescott and Jagielka keep him quiet like last time round at Goodison.

If you use the principle of picking up points equally over the course of the season, then its about 1.5points per game. 7 games to go equals say 10 or 11 points - 3 wins, 2 draws, 2 defeats. Anything more would be good going given that we can't really afford to lose any more to injury.

If we finsih 6th and go out in the semi we should once again comgratulate Moyes, the coaching staff and the squad. Anything more would have course be very welcome!

If we finsih 6th and go out in the semi we should once again congratulate Moyes, the coaching staff and the squad.

A good point. If we'd have been offered that last October when we had nine points from nine games and were out of the UEFA and the Carling cups we'd have jumped at it.

Given the injuries we've had since then the fact that we've got very nearly two points a game (1.91) from the following twenty-two and made it to the FA semi is a remarkable achievement (again) from Davey and the lads.

If arsenal lose all 3 matches against the other big 3, then yes I see an outside long-shot possibility of us possibly maybe getting enough points to draw level with them, but i doubt it.

I'd be much happier with Europa League next year, I'm off on thursdays anyway but more importantly we'd be better in it. We'd actually have a good chance of winning it if we start well. Champs league unless we buy 4/5 really good players in the summer will be a waste of time, we'll lose the qualifiers and then have another european-less season.

I'd rather us get 2 or 3 good players in the summer and get a champs league finish next season.

What makes you so sure we would lose in the qualifiers??

If we made the top 4 the worst case senario is we would drop out of the Champions League and into the Europa League and so we will have lost nothing.

We would have more chance of attracting decent players / investors if we were in Champions League

Cant see it happening myself but it would be nice!

If we made the top 4 the worst case senario is we would drop out of the Champions League and into the Europa League and so we will have lost nothing.

We would have more chance of attracting decent players / investors if we were in Champions League

Your right.

CL is automaticly a big bag of money, plus, it gives our best players an big reason to stay.

So big bag of money= new good player(s) + keeping our best palyers = A better team next year.

That on it's self is a reward worth 2 FA cups in my opinion. And if you look with what ease Arsenal got trough the group stages (while not playing at their normal level), We can get much more from it.

Edited by Churinga

If we made the top 4 the worst case senario is we would drop out of the Champions League and into the Europa League and so we will have lost nothing.We would have more chance of attracting decent players / investors if we were in Champions League

I thought with the introduction of the Europa League that didn't happen anymore? I could be making that up though :lol: .

I thought with the introduction of the Europa League that didn't happen anymore? I could be making that up though :lol: .

There are actually three chances for Champions league losers to drop into the Europa...it's very simple Mark :unsure: .

• Qualifying for the UEFA Europa League consists of four rounds. The domestic cup winners from the associations ranked 52 and 53 in the UEFA coefficient ranking, plus the domestic league runners-up from the associations ranked 35 to 51 (except Liechtenstein), the third-placed side from the associations ranked 22 to 51 (except Liechtenstein) and the three UEFA Fair Play winners enter the competition in the first qualifying round, which consists of two legs played on a home-and-away basis.

• The winners of those 25 ties are joined in the second qualifying round by the domestic cup winners from the associations ranked 28 to 51 in the UEFA coefficient, the runners-up from the associations ranked 19 to 34, the third-placed sides from the associations ranked 16 to 21, the fourth-placed sides from the associations ranked 10 to 15 and the fifth-placed sides from the associations ranked 7 to 9. These ties are also played over two legs, home and away.

• The victorious sides from those 40 ties progress to the third qualifying round, which also includes the domestic cup winners from the associations ranked 16 to 27, the domestic league runners-up from the associations ranked 16 to 18, the third-placed league side from the associations ranked 10 to 15, the fourth-placed side from the associations ranked 7 to 9, the fifth-placed side from the association ranked 4 to 6 and the sixth-placed side from the associations ranked 1 to 3. Again, these two legs are played home and away.

• The winners of these 35 ties are joined in the play-off round by the 15 losing teams from the UEFA Champions League third qualifying round. Also entering the competition at this stage are the domestic cup winners from the associations ranked 1 to 15, the third-placed league sides from the associations ranked 7 to 9, the fourth-placed team from the associations ranked 4 to 6 and the fifth-placed teams from the associations ranked 1 to 3.

• The 37 victorious sides from these two legs qualify for the UEFA Europa League group stage, which also includes the ten losing sides from the UEFA Champions League play-off round and the UEFA Europa League holders.

• The losing finalist for the domestic cup competition will still be entitled to be entered for the UEFA Europa League should the domestic cup winners qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

• The UEFA Europa League Round of 32 includes the top two teams from each of the 12 groups, plus the eight teams who finish in third position in their UEFA Champions League group. The winners of these 16 ties progress to the Round of 16, then the quarter-finals and subsequently the semi-finals.

• The final will be played on a Wednesday night in a single match at a neutral venue, kick-off 20.45CET.

Realistically, 5th is best we can hope for. Am I right in presuming that Europa league qualifiers will go down to 7th place if we don't win the cup. If so that gives us a ten point cushion. We can still endeavour to overtake Villa and put pressure on Arsenal but I can see us taking 11/12 points for rest of season, still a decent return and that is almost as many points as when we qualified for the Champions League.

We should concentrate on the cup now, the games against Villa and West Ham will be cruical, win these two and we should be ok for another top 6 finish.

Suddenly the draw against United dosent look too bad for me, i wouldnt fancy playing Arsenal at the minute and Chelsea are better now with Essien back.

I quite fancy our chances against United at Wembly

I woulden't say that I fancied our chances but I think that Manchester United can be beaten. They have had a dip in form as of late and we haven't. Arsenal & Chelsea are getting back to their best and they would be the teams to avoid now. We are without doubt the underdogs of the cup now and this will fall right into our hands.

We have beaten Villa in the cup so it's time to do it again on Saturday. Revenge is always sweet.

Expect three points, would be gutted with anything else. Aston Villa are so much for the taking. :)

Realistically, 5th is best we can hope for. Am I right in presuming that Europa league qualifiers will go down to 7th place if we don't win the cup. If so that gives us a ten point cushion. We can still endeavour to overtake Villa and put pressure on Arsenal but I can see us taking 11/12 points for rest of season, still a decent return and that is almost as many points as when we qualified for the Champions League.

Yes you are correct 7th place will be enough to qualify for Europe. The only way it wouldnt be 7th is if we win the Cup but didnt qualify through our league position

We can definatly go into pole position on Saturday. If we do managed to get three points at Villa Park then Europa should be secured. We have got a good run of games after Chelsea which should bring many wins. Fulham being the only team to watch out for.

Fellaini has made a comment in the EvertonTV section stating what he thinks of the whole situation. I have to agree with him on most things, they have had a good first half to the season but in the second teams have learned how to play against them and this will play right into our court. We should take them on Saturday because everyone knows we can.

I'm going for a 2-0 scoreline. I think that the defence will be just too good for the likes of Ashley Young & Gabriel Agbonlahor. I get the feeling that Saha could score...I hope Osman does after his great Latics performance.