IGNORED

Howard Record Highlights Deficiencies?

Congrats to Tim Howard for his record breaking 16 clean sheets so far this season, hopefully he'll get one or two more before the season's out.

On another note... considering that we have kept so many clean sheets this season (only Manu, Chelsea and Liverpool have more), why are we not closer to Arsenal (who btw, have 15 cleansheets).

This fact highlights for me the shortcomings in our side.... we don't score enough goals. Of those 16 clean sheets, eleven we have gone on to win (which, admittedly, is not a bad record) and 5 we have drawn. However, couple that with the fact that we have drawn 12 games this season (only Newcastle have managed to draw more...) and I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Too many times this season, I felt we've lacked a cutting edge and we have struggled to break teams down in the final third. What we need, in my opinion, is not simply a decent striker, but more creativity getting into the box, perhaps a bit more speed on the break, put simply.. a bit more danger about us.

If we can continue to keep clean sheets and turn those draws into wins, then we'll have a really good chance of breaking into the top four.

what we need is a creativity from a healthy arteta, goal scoring from a healthy yakubu and our other strikers to remain healthy .. our youngsters -rodwell vaughan fellaini gosling- will be a year older (and better) next year ..

our two top scorers this season are both our attacking midfielders which says enough about how hit by injuries our strikers were..

all we need is

1/ a right winger

2/ health

3/ another year experience

if we can get those three, with the last being a given, a champions league spot is definitely ours to loose.

Guest efctaxi
Congrats to Tim Howard for his record breaking 16 clean sheets so far this season, hopefully he'll get one or two more before the season's out.

On another note... considering that we have kept so many clean sheets this season (only Manu, Chelsea and Liverpool have more), why are we not closer to Arsenal (who btw, have 15 cleansheets).

This fact highlights for me the shortcomings in our side.... we don't score enough goals. Of those 16 clean sheets, eleven we have gone on to win (which, admittedly, is not a bad record) and 5 we have drawn. However, couple that with the fact that we have drawn 12 games this season (only Newcastle have managed to draw more...) and I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Too many times this season, I felt we've lacked a cutting edge and we have struggled to break teams down in the final third. What we need, in my opinion, is not simply a decent striker, but more creativity getting into the box, perhaps a bit more speed on the break, put simply.. a bit more danger about us.

If we can continue to keep clean sheets and turn those draws into wins, then we'll have a really good chance of breaking into the top four.

Would having all our strikers injured plus our creative midfielder not have crossed your mind regarding our lack of goals ( which isn't a bad tally considering ) ?

I think relying on Arteta as our only creative force is not going to be beneficial in the long run. Are you saying that Arteta is gonna be fit for all our important games next season? (and I'm expecting a decent run in Europe and in at least one home cup competition as well as challenging for fourth). As for Yakubu, he's a goal scorer, not a goal creator. He needs to be fed (as they say), which again leads us back to the same problem, creativity in midfield.

Health-wise, that's just something you have to deal with. We had a really good season not long back when we had hardly any injuries and did really well (it may even have been when we finished 4th, but don't hold me to that). But as far as injuries go, you never know who's gonna be injured, when, or for how long. (I seriously think that some of our injuries this season have been down to players not getting enough rest, but thats by-the-by and a different topic.) Either way, it's just down to luck with injuries.

I'll hold with you on one point though and that's a right winger, perhaps even offer a compromise and a 'creative-rightwinger' ;), but I still think it's foolish to put all our eggs in the Arteta basket.

Guest efctaxi

I don't rate Arteta as highly as others do .

He is a great player , but can go missing sometimes . No exactly Rooney is he ?

We need further improvements right across the center , left back cover , and 2 strikers .

I don't rate Arteta as highly as others do .

He is a great player , but can go missing sometimes . No exactly Rooney is he ?

We need further improvements right across the center , left back cover , and 2 strikers .

rooney is a forward, arteta is a midfielder...so no he's not rooney, neither is jags, baines, yobo, osman ...the list goes on

I think Arteta plays best when he's in the middle of the park, rather than on the right where he's sometimes played. He definitely has much more influence there (in centre-mid). But saying that only strengthens the fact that we need a right winger. I think first and foremost that should be our priority but we do also need strikers.

To be honest taxi, I'd take just one new striker- keep Jak and Vaughan, and sell Cheebs. (not sure about Saha, though I think he too could be off-loaded). and get another one in. I'd really like to see someone like Wagner Love here, but I doubt very much that is gonna happen.

Still, I think just with a creative right winger, one who can score and create goals, it'd be enough for us, and considering our budget, I'd be happy with that.

Guest efctaxi
rooney is a forward, arteta is a midfielder...so no he's not rooney, neither is jags, baines, yobo, osman ...the list goes on

By trade yes , but plays a similar role to Arteta recently .

Part of our problem goal-scoringwise is that we play not to lose rather than to win for the most part. We get so many cleansheets because we concentrate so hard on being hard to break down etc. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, don't get me wrong, but we just go on to mostly rely on getting goals from set pieces rather than really attacking sides.

That's my two pence.

Guest efctaxi
??????????

He hasn't been out that long surely....Your not getting him mixed up with Barry Horne or something are you?

Maybe we have a new signing feel free to correct me

Sorry mate , but you've lost me .

I was referring to Rooney adopting the role of play maker recently . My own interpretation of him of course .

BTW ......

Were you up to no good at Old Trafford today ?

http://www.offthepost.info/2009/05/video-a...nchester-derby/