IGNORED

Fabian Delph

Yeah he’s a had few bad injuries but so has McCarthy. Besic, McCarthy and Morgan to go so with his versatility he can cover and will probably on similar wages to Morgan. If gana goes I think we will buy someone else to replace him. I know he divides opinion but I think it’s a good move for all concerned 

To see the stats for both these players would open a few peoples eyes, in the past four seasons both these players have played about 60 games, I would think about 20 of those where as a sub.

Delph has 4 goals and 3 assists,  Davies has the same 4 goals but one more assist 4, considering that four seasons ago Davies was only a 17 year old novice, but Delph was in his prime and surrounded by world class players I just can't see why we are thinking of buying him, he is no better than what we already have.

Because you don’t know what the thinking is behind the scenes. Let’s say marcel has offers for besic, McCarthy, Morgan.  Marcel and Marco might want to promote Benni or Williams to the first team squad this season. Say for instance that happened we would be left with Gomes and gana with some experience in the engine room. If gana goes I expect us to replace him with a younger player from abroad. If that happened we need a more experienced player that has premier league experience. He’s got a medals on his cv and can help the younger players. It’s not a signing that is exciting but for me it makes sense. But what do I know? I’m just confident that the two men that count know what they are doing

13 minutes ago, Bill said:

To see the stats for both these players would open a few peoples eyes, in the past four seasons both these players have played about 60 games, I would think about 20 of those where as a sub.

Delph has 4 goals and 3 assists,  Davies has the same 4 goals but one more assist 4, considering that four seasons ago Davies was only a 17 year old novice, but Delph was in his prime and surrounded by world class players I just can't see why we are thinking of buying him, he is no better than what we already have.

What Bill says, except to add if we lose Schneiderlin or Gana and, Besic and McCarthy. Then it's a good buy.

On 12/07/2019 at 20:44, markjazzbassist said:

i don't like him as a person, but as a footballer 8m is cheap, this could be a Barry type move.  cautiously optimistic

7 hours ago, Aidan said:

Look how important Milner has been for both Liverpool and City in recent years. By no means a bad signing and will add some leadership into the squad. If he gives a 7/10 every week at LB, CM, CDM, LM I'd be made up. 

There is nothing Barry or Milner about Delph other than they all played for City. The former players were massive parts of a team that won titles, Delph only really got games because he is left footed and Mendy and Zinchenko were injured. 

2 hours ago, Finn balor said:

When Delph played he was probably the only player not attacking in city’s side. Full backs bomb on he sits. I’m not going into Davies stats because I don’t think it’s worth it. 

Delph only ever started games for City in the premier league as a left back last season. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Dont think he did a lot to win those medals cos he hardly played, I could have got some winners medals at that club, I only had to come on as a 90th minute sub in half a dozen games and I would have qualified.  😁

I get that but he has been around some of the best players to have ever played in the premiership. Silva, kompany. He has experience and don’t forget we haven’t seen him in his best position for a while. At villa he ran the show. He has a point to prove 

On 13/07/2019 at 10:59, c1982 said:

Did you see the Davies and Gomes partnership in action vs Spurs in December?

I think Delph will have had plenty of options but we’re just the best one.

I wouldn't blame Davies for any of the goals that game. The other day when I looked I had these players at fault. 

Spurs h: 1)Pickford/Zouma 2) Coleman, Gomes 3) Gomes, Coleman 4) Coleman 5) Keane 6) Coleman, Keane

Gomes' faults were very Gana-esque. Switched off for their third and didn't track his man. Fourth was he gave away a freekick as he slipped a little and ended up scraping Son's boot off as he pressed behind him. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

I wouldn't blame Davies for any of the goals that game. The other day when I looked I had these players at fault. 

Spurs h: 1)Pickford/Zouma 2) Coleman, Gomes 3) Gomes, Coleman 4) Coleman 5) Keane 6) Coleman, Keane

Gomes' faults were very Gana-esque. Switched off for their third and didn't track his man. Fourth was he gave away a freekick as he slipped a little and ended up scraping Son's boot off as he pressed behind him. 

Maybe the actual goals but the massive holes in our midfield that day were frightening - they could have had a lot more than 6!

18 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Maybe the actual goals but the massive holes in our midfield that day were frightening - they could have had a lot more than 6!

Just the six of them! 

Keane was walked past in the mini highlights and the fullbacks weren't doing enough to stop them either. (From memory I didn't think we done too bad down the middle remember arguing at the time).  

You must know a thing about why Delph ended up at City. It's because the home-grown quota, that is mandatory for every club participating in the Premier league to have at least 8 players (from those 25 men registered for the first team), who are comming through the ranks of English based clubs. The same criteria applies for continental football too. So, with all international superstars Man City have at their disposal, they need a few like Delph - useful English guy, who can fill that quota. With our decision to sign foreign backup goalkeepers, we need a few like him too. Bear in mind that Schneiderlin is considered home-grown too, perhaps a reason we're not trying hard to get rid of him.

Just for some more shits and giggles whilst I am bored at lunch.

Delph played 234 minutes in midfield last season in all comps.

He had13 starts in all comps losing 5 of them, plus the FA Cup game against Swansea where he was subbed off at 2 nil down.

The only top 6 game he started in the Premier League last season was against Chelsea where they lost. 

He did play a fair amount the season before to be fair to him including the big games.

He has had a lot of injuries over the last 3 years and despite relatively few games he has been sent off in the last 2 seasons.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Just for some more shits and giggles whilst I am bored at lunch.

Delph played 234 minutes in midfield last season in all comps.

He had13 starts in all comps losing 5 of them, plus the FA Cup game against Swansea where he was subbed off at 2 nil down.

The only top 6 game he started in the Premier League last season was against Chelsea where they lost. 

He did play a fair amount the season before to be fair to him including the big games.

He has had a lot of injuries over the last 3 years and despite relatively few games he has been sent off in the last 2 seasons.

That's quite worrying. They only lost 4 in the league and 2 in the champions league. 

Just looking at his prem stats and he only played 10 minutes and made the squad three times after being part of their bad run were they lost 3 out of 4 games (their win being against us) and Delph was sent off in the last minute of the fourth game. Their run after that was 18 wins and just the one loss. Think Pep must have lost all trust in him as he played Zinchencho over him after that who'd only played 2 and a half matches in the first half of the season. Zinchencho missed a couple of games too and Delph to start so essentially he was dropped to third choice left back, 5th if you include the injured ones. 

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

That's quite worrying. They only lost 4 in the league and 2 in the champions league. 

Just looking at his prem stats and he only played 10 minutes and made the squad three times after being part of their bad run were they lost 3 out of 4 games (their win being against us) and Delph was sent off in the last minute of the fourth game. Their run after that was 18 wins and just the one loss. Think Pep must have lost all trust in him as he played Zinchencho over him after that who'd only played 2 and a half matches in the first half of the season. Zinchencho missed a couple of games too and Delph to start so essentially he was dropped to third choice left back, 5th if you include the injured ones. 

Zinchenko came on leaps and bounds last season, especially when you consider he was a young winger. He seemed to be the back up early part of the season, playing in the cups but then as you say in the 2nd half of the season when they went on the long winning run he played most of the games.

The consolation is that I am sure Delph hasnt been identified to play as a left back.

You can only have so many statement signings - the rest have to be shrewd squad players. Just so happens we've got one that has won titles and will bring a lot of the team on and off the pitch. £10m is a low risk fee and even if we have him as a rotation player for 2 years then we will have got our moneys worth. Bare in mind this is the same amount of money city payed for him and he's done the job for them for four seasons now. 

If Gana is off I'd hope for us to sign another player in CM as well as Delph. 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

Zinchenko came on leaps and bounds last season, especially when you consider he was a young winger. He seemed to be the back up early part of the season, playing in the cups but then as you say in the 2nd half of the season when they went on the long winning run he played most of the games.

The consolation is that I am sure Delph hasnt been identified to play as a left back.

He looks a good player, think they just put him there to get him some minutes. Surprises me the hype around Foden considering Zinchencho is the one Pep tended to favour. 

I don't mind if he's back up to Digne, he's looked okay there albeit in a very good city side. I'd be more worried if Baines is expected to play 90 minutes as he dies off around 70 minute mark. 

The consolation for me will be Gana not starting!