IGNORED

Fabian Delph

Clever signing in my eyes.

Bags of experience. Versatile in his positions. Appears to still have some hunger. Knows how to win. Been surrounded by pure quality in every department for a number of seasons.

Not every signing can be Champagne Bubbly. Some signings just form part of a broader vision for shaping the squad.

29 minutes ago, pete0 said:

He looks a good player, think they just put him there to get him some minutes. Surprises me the hype around Foden considering Zinchencho is the one Pep tended to favour. 

I don't mind if he's back up to Digne, he's looked okay there albeit in a very good city side. I'd be more worried if Baines is expected to play 90 minutes as he dies off around 70 minute mark. 

The consolation for me will be Gana not starting! 

If we can keep a player aged 29 and valued at £40m I think he'll keep his place ahead of a player aged 29 we got for "up to" £10m.

Who are we kidding here? Brands is doing his job. Delph ain’t signing to sit next to Tom Davies on the bench and talk fashion statements he could sit next to proper players at city. He is taking gana’s place end of. £45 mill for gana leaves money the deficit for a good player. 

24 minutes ago, MikeO said:

If we can keep a player aged 29 and valued at £40m I think he'll keep his place ahead of a player aged 29 we got for "up to" £10m.

We brought on Barry on a nominal fee. I know which of the three I'd choose. 

Were does Delph fit in if nobody leaves, maybe he was only 10M but his biggest cost to us will be his contract, is anyone aware of how much he is going to pickup a week I can imagine it’s going to be big money, why would you entertain paying someone 100 plus grand a week if you didn’t see them playing in the 1st eleven it wouldn’t be because he only cost 10M. 

I would say it’s because Gana is going and possibly Schneiderlin as well if we can find someone who’s prepared to take on his demands. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

Were does Delph fit in if nobody leaves, maybe he was only 10M but his biggest cost to us will be his contract, is anyone aware of how much he is going to pickup a week I can imagine it’s going to be big money, why would you entertain paying someone 100 plus grand a week if you didn’t see them playing in the 1st eleven it wouldn’t be because he only cost 10M. 

I would say it’s because Gana is going and possibly Schneiderlin as well if we can find someone who’s prepared to take on his demands. 

More likely gana and McCarthy.  Leaves Morgan and Fabian and Gomes and Beni for CM spots.

Our club has gone from strength to strength over the last few seasons, business wise. So I’m not bothered about wages etc, as I think the we hire people to take care of that stuff for us.

All I care about is how the team does as I’m a football fan. Delph is an experienced player and so people say, a very good changing room voice. 

Welcome to the greatest club in the world!

9 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Our club has gone from strength to strength over the last few seasons, business wise. So I’m not bothered about wages etc, as I think the we hire people to take care of that stuff for us.

All I care about is how the team does as I’m a football fan. Delph is an experienced player and so people say, a very good changing room voice. 

Welcome to the greatest club in the world!

Well I am bothered about high wages because when they go wrong they hurt 🤕 look at Sandro Bolassi to name a few, they get in the way of progress because of FFP rules and are hard to get rid of because of their high wages. 

I don’t expect to see you on the Dragons Den anytime soon 😀

23 minutes ago, Matt said:

I look forward to being proven wrong 

Amen 🙏 to that.

I am sure Brands would have given this good consideration rather than just pander to Silva or a whim, I’m more curious has to how he fits into the team as it is now. 

But I have no doubt he can do a job for us he’s got a good touch some aggression all be it a bit dirty at times, he can pick a cross out and he’s got a shot on him from distance, it’s just do we need him because one of the regular starters is going. 

10 hours ago, Blueherts said:

Gana is definitely going then. Next season will we delph/gomes & davies/schneiderlin, so no better or worse than last year.

Without trying to sound like a broken record Delph could definitely turn out to be an upgrade on Gana if he leaves. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I'd bet a fairly large fortune he won't be announced as our player of the season next May, be it joint or individually. Selling our best players isn't the way to progress.

If Gana was our best player we'd not be finishing 8th two seasons on the bounce. 

On 13/07/2019 at 13:12, Finn balor said:

When Delph played he was probably the only player not attacking in city’s side. Full backs bomb on he sits.

This is a major point (and a wonderful phrase).  I hope it’s accurate, especially if, as expected, Gana leaves.

Whatever one thinks about Gana’s play and compatibility with Gomes, it seems unlikely that any replacement for Gana could actually replicate his manic disruptive style.

Gomes can and should absolutely become our consistent midfield attacking fulcrum.  He has multiple controlling-attacking-CM skills; not so many as a DM.  Since we are very unlikely to replicate Gana’s style, Silva will, I hope, pair Gomes with a protecting “full backs bomb on” sitter.  Finn balor says that’s how Delph plays.  That’s mostly how Schneiderlin plays, so if he stays, ok, let him compete with Delph to “full backs bomb on” sit in front of the CHs.  If both Gana and Schneiderlin leave, we need to buy a sitter to compete with Delph to pair with Gomes.