IGNORED

Europa League

Of the 13 leagues in Europe who get an automatic qualifier into the Champions League group stages, only Romania is still undecided. The rest have settled all of their CL and EL entrants. The highlights of our EL competition from those leagues (not including other English teams, since we wouldn't see them before the knockout rounds):

2nd round qualifiers

NAC Breda (Holland)

Galatasaray (Turkey)

3rd round qualifiers

Athletic Bilbao (Spain)

AS Roma (Italy)

Lille (France)

Hamburg (Germany)

Sporting Braga (Portugal)

PSV Eindhoven (Holland)

Fenerbahce (Turkey)

Metalist Kharkiv (Ukraine)

Club Brugge (Belgium)

Fellow 4th round qualifiers

Villareal, Valencia (Spain)

Lazio, Genoa (Italy)

Werder Bremen, Hertha Berlin (Germany)

Zenit St. Petersburg (Russia)

Benfica (Portugal)

Heerenveen, Ajax (Holland)

Hearts (Scotland)

Trabzonspor (Turkey)

Among the teams we could see in the group stages IF they bombed their Champions' League qualifying: Atletico Madrid, Fiorentina, Lyon, Stuttgart, Sporting Lisbon, FC Twente, and Celtic

Some of those teams (Bilbao, Genoa, Hearts) have few enough qualifying points that we could potentially see them in a 4th round match, but after four straight draws against tough qualifying opponents, we're well past due for a nice, easy draw against some no-namers from Sweden or Hungary or something.

Thanks for that JD, interesting.

It is seeded is it? I believe the final qualifying round of the Champs League isn't this year.

Nice easy draw would be great this time, and at least we don't start until the end of August....Fulham's first game will be at the end of July (Aberdeen 16th July).

Thanks for that JD, interesting.

It is seeded is it? I believe the final qualifying round of the Champs League isn't this year.

Nice easy draw would be great this time, and at least we don't start until the end of August....Fulham's first game will be at the end of July (Aberdeen 16th July).

Yes, it is seeded. According to the website where I usually go for information on these things, any team with at least 25 European points is guaranteed a seed in the 4th round (the cutoff could and probably will be a bit lower, since upsets do happen, but it can't get any higher than that) - we have 35.899 points, so we exceed the minimum by a comfortable margin, as do the majority of the teams I listed. Frankly, I hope it does go lower than that, because there are a few teams sitting right around 24 points (Bilbao, Metalist, Levski Sofia if they bust out of the CL) that I would rather not see on the unseeded side of the bracket.

I don't remember if the 3rd and 4th qualifying rounds of the Champs League are seeded or not, but the major change is that they are now subdivided. For those two rounds, league champions will only play other league champions, and non-champions will only play non-champions. So a mid-level champion like Wisla Krakow or Maccabi Haifa, instead of potentially having to face a juggernaut like Arsenal or Lyon to make the group stages, has a better shot at a more manageable opponent like an FC Copenhagen or Partizan Belgrade.

Edited by JD in DC