IGNORED

Player Of The Season

pollresizear5.jpg

Having come with a late run to beat long time leader Phil Jagielka the ToffeeTalk player of the season for 2008/9 is...

Steven Pienaar

Sunderland1.jpg

Final Player of the Year standings....

Pienaar 243

Jagielka 229

Fellaini 219

Baines 186

Arteta 164

Cahill 140

Neville 134

Osman 126

Saha 71

Howard 66

Lescott 59

João Alves Jô 40

Rodwell 36

Gosling 29

Castillo 28

Yobo 24

Anichebe 21

Baadhi 17

Hibbert 17

Vaughan 11

Yakubu 10

Van der Meyde 10

Jacobsen 6

Baxter 4

Valente 2

MOTM winners....

Blackburn (H)...Mikel Arteta

West Brom (A)...Leon Osman

Portsmouth (H)...Leighton Baines

Stoke City (A)...Tim Cahill

Standard Liege (H)...Segundo Castillo

Hull City (A)...Leon Osman

Blackburn (A)...Louis Saha

Liverpool (H)...Phil Jagielka

Standard Liege (A)...Phil Jagielka

Newcastle (H)...Leighton Baines

Arsenal (A)...Marouane Fellaini

Manchester United (H)...Marouane Fellaini

Bolton (A)...Marouane Fellaini

Fulham (H)...Phil Jagielka

West Ham (A)...Louis Saha

Middlesbrough (H)...Phil Neville

Wigan (A)...Tim Howard

Spurs (A)...Phil Jagielka

Aston Villa (H)...Joleon Lescott

Man City (A)...Tim Cahill

Chelsea (H)...Leon Osman

Middlesbrough (A)...Mikel Arteta

Sunderland (H)...Mikel Arteta

Macclesfield (A)...Leighton Baines

Hull (A)...Mikel Arteta

Liverpool (A-league)...Leighton Baines

Liverpool (A-Cup)...Phil Jagielka

Arsenal (H)...Tim Cahill

Manchester United (A)...Tim Howard

Liverpool (H-Cup replay)...Phil Jagielka

Bolton (H)...João Alves Jô

Aston Villa (H)...Mikel Arteta

Newcastle (A)...Jack Rodwell

West Brom (H)...Steven Pienaar

Blackburn (A)...Phil Neville

Middlesbrough (H)...Marouane Fellaini

Stoke City (H)...Marouane Fellaini

Portsmouth (A)...Leighton Baines

Wigan (H)...Marouane Fellaini

Aston Villa (A)...Steven Pienaar

Manchester United (Wembley)...Phil Neville

Chelsea (A)...Leighton Baines

Manchester City (H)...Marouane Fellaini

Sunderland (A)...Steven Pienaar

Spurs (H)...Steven Pienaar & Joseph Yobo (Tied)

West Ham (H)...Steven Pienaar

Fulham (A)...Leon Osman

Chelsea (Wembley)...Marouane Fellaini

If jags hadn't gotten injured this would have been his , no contest ..

but durability counts.

Congrats to Pienaar, is late season playing got him there. (He should mention Baines in his acceptance speech tho, he made Pienaar a lot better).

Edited by holystove

Just noticed that Lescott didn't even crack the top 10 .. ouch. (sell! sell! sell! :D)

Can't say I disagree with the overall standings much though.. But I'm quite confident they'll look differently next year.

My prediction for next years top 3:

Moutinho (if we get him)

Fellaini

Arteta

Edited by holystove

I am Glad Pienaar got player of the season as he has worked hard for the side and has stepped up when Arteta got injured, I am sorry for Jags as it looked in the bag for him until he got hurt, but he will come good again next season.

I really am glad that Baines haas had a mention too. He shows again just how good Davey Moyes is at getting the best out of a player. I was not too sure of baines when he arrived, but he and Moyes have turned his career around. Possibly one of (if not the) best in the EPL now.

Guest efctaxi

Not bad for 4 motm's and a split vote . :rolleyes_anim:

Well done Steven , and commiserations to Fellaini , who though having won motm 8 times , in the words of dear Anne ...........

You go home with nothing :lol:

Jags should have won it, after all he only missed the last 4 games if that. An Pienaar failed ot shinei n the cup final as the rest of the team did. Not to mention Pienaar should have stood up an be counted when Arteta was fit.

Sorry i think you got it compeltely wrong there.

Over the whole season Jags was a far far better player. An lets not forget he made Torres in the multi Derbys look like a 2nd rate player. Yet the very same Torres who made Vidic(who was aparently the best defender in the league) look like a school boy.

Edited by Adpom

Its a bit of a joke really that he gets player of the season with only 4 MOTM's

Shows up the poor voting system really more than anything.....

Well, what do you suggest?

If Jagielka wasn't injured He would have been the obvious winner without doubt. So i think in the end this isn't such a bad system.

You could have had 300 people on the site on day after the cup final... all voting for tony hibbert..... ingnoring the fact he was shite.... he may have had a blinder and scored a hat trick....

so 300 votes for tony hibbert.... ooo hes player of the season with 300 votes.....

I dont understand why people think its the best way of doing it.... most MOTM's = winner

why does that now work? can someone explain?

You could have had 300 people on the site on day after the cup final... all voting for tony hibbert..... ingnoring the fact he was shite.... he may have had a blinder and scored a hat trick....

so 300 votes for tony hibbert.... ooo hes player of the season with 300 votes.....

I dont understand why people think its the best way of doing it.... most MOTM's = winner

why does that now work? can someone explain?

i take your point but if a player was MOM for 4 games and shite for the rest, how can he be player of the season makes you realise it is difficult to have a perfect system of voting i would stick with what we have now it seems the fairest way to me unless someone has a better one

i take your point but if a player was MOM for 4 games and shite for the rest, how can he be player of the season makes you realise it is difficult to have a perfect system of voting i would stick with what we have now it seems the fairest way to me unless someone has a better one

No........ that means if he had 4 good games and no one had more good games.....well... surely he was the best player of the season....I dont see how that doesnt make sense....

Jags has scooped every fan site award I can think off yet we have come up with Steven Pienaar as player of the season....

I think that itself shows the way we vote isnt any good

just to add some weight to that.............. a massive 10 results tetured from google and most are along the lines of "Everton player of the season Jags thinks Pienaar is a good player"

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&r...enaar&meta=

Edited by DangerMouse

We have tried several voting systems to try and appease the hordes, i think taken over the whole season they have all worked out about right.

No matter how many times an individual as won the MOTM its the times when he didnt win it that are important. OK it was unlucky for Jags If he had'nt have got hurt he would have won it, or would he ?? Arteta was playing some good stuff before he got hurt and if he hadnt got injured he might have won it. Its all ifs and buts, If my auntie had Bollox she'd be my uncle.

The top and bottom of it is that although he didnt win MOTM as often as some of the other players, Pienaar consistantly picked up points, and was in the shake up on a regular basis , so at the end of the day he totalled enough points to end up as the winner ........ Voters Choice.

Bill.

Now having said that i disagree on individual votes being totalled up every week, if a lot of peeps turn out to vote and the MOTM player has an outstanding game he might receive 50 - 60 votes, the next week may not have such a good turnout and the MOTM might only get 10 - 20 votes, already he has to win 3 times more to get the same amount of votes.

We should score like they do in Formula one, whoever comes 1st in the voting gets 10 points and the 2nd highest gets 9 then 8 down to the last player with votes.

So if you win the MOTM this week you get the same number of points as the MOTM got last week, its possibly a fairer system.

Then you win MOTM more times than anybody else over the season, you stand a good chance of being top man.

well if thats what the results say.......... Id be happy with that......

We obviously don't know are football here on Toffeetalk :o:o

I don't think anyone could argue if Jags would have won it..... we would all be happy

I think its quite obvious that Jags was are "real" player of the season.. Id challenge anyone to argue against that....

Oh well all hail Screech

Edited by DangerMouse

It makes a mockery of the whole thing The club have voted JAGS the player of the season along with the media and 95% our members, we all know what the outcome of the Poll will be. So how come the votes from nearly 50 games over a whole season shows something different ?

You are the people that voted so now the only thing the poll will tell you is that you all voted wrong in the first place. :lol::lol: Silly Peeps.

I might add that i dont see anybody showing any gratitude to Mike for all the effort and time that he puts into this, you're more interested in telling him the system he uses is wrong, if anybody wants to give it a go and see if they can satisfy all of the natives .... step up.

Theres an old saying that rings true .. You can please most of the people some of the time, you can please some of the people most of the time, but you cant please all of the people all of the time.

We should score like they do in Formula one, whoever comes 1st in the voting gets 10 points and the 2nd highest gets 9 then 8 down to the last player with votes.

Think that's on the right lines, but ten players getting votes is too many imo.

You often get a clear winner with then a number of other players getting 1,2 or 3 votes (eg West Brom last August, Osman 12, Arteta 3, Yakubu 2, Vaughan 2, Howard 1, Neville 1, Baxter 1, Yobo 1, Jags 1), difficult then to distribute properly.

Maybe the top four getting 5, 3, 2, 1? But then that's getting close to the 3,2,1 that we ditched because it didn't seem to be working :huh: .

"Osman 12, Arteta 3, Yakubu 2, Vaughan 2, Howard 1, Neville 1, Baxter 1, Yobo 1, Jags 1)",

Mike,

I'm thinking THAT scenario might even itself out over the season. Or maybe you could give the top five in the voting 10-8-6-4-2 everybody else gets 1 point for playing.

Can someone explain why we carnt just count MOTM's

It's an option.

I wouldn't go for it because, at its extreme, someone who came second or third in the voting every game over the season would come nowhere, when they'd probably deserve to win it.

Like I said, that system this season would have given us Fellaini when very few think that'd be the right result.