IGNORED

Squad Size

we are always going on about the size of our squad not being big enough.we have a core squad of about 28 players including some of the younger players but what size squad do you all think is big enough? without injuries i would have difficulty naming our starting eleven even now .say we signed 4 really good players would some of our more established players be happy with a rotation system and would this harm our younger players coming through .would we have given a chance to Rodwell Gosling etc if we had a bigger squad and also would it affect the team spirit that we have at the club? would be interested in your views on this

28 is a pretty generous interpretation there, mate. First you have to subtract the guys who are already out the door since the season ended. Second, you can't really count all the guys like Kissock and Jutkiewicz who we're either repeatedly loaning out or keeping in the reserves because they're nowhere near ready to join our rotation. Yeah they're bodies, but if the bodies can't really help you out on the field then there's no point counting them as part of your squad. Once you've taken those two groups out, our practical week-to-week rotation as of this moment is 21 players at the most, and that's only if a) you count Baxter, who's only made like four appearances for us, b ) you assume that Jacobsen decides to stay, which is not a given, and c) we don't sell or loan out anybody else. Considering that we could play upwards of 60 games next year between the EPL and the Europa League and the various cups, that is nowhere near enough.

How many should we have? As I said, it's not just having guys, it's having guys who the manager trusts to step in and play and play well whenever we ask them to. If you look at the two teams who played 60+ games last year, Arsenal and Man U, they had 25 and 26 players on their end-of-season rosters, respectively, who made at least five appearances for them (and it would've been 26 each if Eduardo hadn't missed almost the whole season with that broken leg). So let's say 25 is a good target for the length of season we're looking at. If my numbers are accurate (since the official site for some stupid reason doesn't have them), we only had 21 players who made at least five appearances for us last year, and two of those (Castillo and Jo) are already gone back to their parent clubs. Subtract those two and add Nash (or whoever our backup goalie will be, since none of them played last year), and that makes 20, which means that if we held on to everybody else that we have now (which is far from a given), then we would still need to sign or borrow or promote from the youth ranks a minimum of five more guys who are AT LEAST good enough to make our rotation, if not challenge for starts.

Edited by JD in DC

Howard

Nash

Hibbert

Jags (injured)

Lescott

Yobo

Baines

Osman

Cahill

Arteta (injured)

Screech

Neville

Pienaar

Rodwell

Gosling

Yakubu (injured)

Saha

Vaughn

Anichibe

Jacobson (maybe maybe not)

Thats 20

Anichibe isnt good enough

Vaughn has yet to show his potential

Saha will prob be injured

Yak may not be back fully fit

Arteta will be injured

Gosling isnt good enough

Jags will be injured

Could start the season with maybe 16/17 players

Where the hell did you get 28 from

Howard

Nash

Hibbert

Jags (injured)

Lescott

Yobo

Baines

Osman

Cahill

Arteta (injured)

Screech

Neville

Pienaar

Rodwell

Gosling

Yakubu (injured)

Saha

Vaughn

Anichibe

Thats 20

Arteta will be injured

Gosling isnt good enough

Jags will be injured

coleman valente irving kissock wallace baxter apart from Valente i know the rest are young but they are all on full time pro contracts and are in the first team squad remember Rodwell was in the same position as some of these and would he of got the chance if we had a bigger squad

coleman valente irving kissock wallace baxter apart from Valente i know the rest are young but they are all on full time pro contracts and are in the first team squad remember Rodwell was in the same position as some of these and would he of got the chance if we had a bigger squad

Giving youth players a chance isn't a good reason for keeping our squad small at all.

I hope your right and a few youngsters are able to step up, but we can't rely on that.

We had 3 strikers out with an injury this season, luckely we cooped very well. But i don't think we can pull that trick of a second time.

I never gave it any thought, but now i see we definatly need a some more players

Howard

Nash

Hibbert

Jags (injured)

Lescott

Yobo

Baines

Osman

Cahill

Arteta (injured)

Screech

Neville

Pienaar

Rodwell

Gosling

Yakubu (injured)

Saha

Vaughn

Anichibe

Thats 20

Arteta will be injured

Gosling isnt good enough

Jags will be injured

this will be a first, but i agree with you 100%

we need two players for every position.

we have enough keepers, we could do with a better quality right back, a cover left back, two centre halfs but could get away with one i guess, a quality central midfielder, a winger for either side, and a forward.

Edited by StevO

this will be a first, but i agree with you 100%

we need two players for every position.

we have enough keepers, we could do with a better quality right back, a cover left back, two centre halfs but could get away with one i guess, a quality central midfielder, a winger for either side, and a forward.

GK: Howard/ Nash

RB: Hibbert/ Jacobson (maybe maybe not)

CB: Jags (injured)/ Lescott/ Yobo

LB: Baines

CM: Osman/ Cahill/ Arteta (injured)/ Screech/ Neville/ Rodwell

LM: Pienaar

RM: Gosling

ATT: Yakubu (injured)/ Saha/ Vaughan/ Anichibe

We need a: LB/CB/LM/RM but in reality 2 of our priority positions must be CM and RB.

Valente/ Castillo/ VDM are 99% gone.

lescott can play lb if needed.

I do agree we need a LB.

I'd like to see some out an out wingers come in, perticual on the right side. dont think we have a decent one since Limpar(Was kanchelskis left wing).

No kanchelskis was right wing and limpar on the left in our finest ever midfield...

Kanchelskis....Parkinson....Horne....Limpar

and we had Ebrell, Grant and Samways in reserve!!!

also striking options were Rideout, Amokachi, Ferguson and Stuart. 95/96 probably my favourite season as an Evertonian (although we've had better one's achievement wise recently).

No kanchelskis was right wing and limpar on the left in our finest ever midfield...

Kanchelskis....Parkinson....Horne....Limpar

Hmmm....thinks...

(Ball/Harvey/Kendall

Steven/Bracewell/Reid/Sheedy)

Gonna have to agree to differ here methinks :huh: .

Guest efctaxi
Fair enough. One of the consolations of being old is to have seen those guys in the flesh :P .

Said the Vicar to the Choirboys shower attendant .

I think we should have no less than 30 players in the squad if we are seriously going to make a go of it.

About a month ago I read that the Red Shite have 72 professionals on their books :o (which is insane) but they still won bugger all so there is no guarantee that a big squad equals success but then again one of our size doesnt help the situation.

As I said, 30 should be about right.

Edited by Maghull70