IGNORED

Howard Kendall's First Game

MikeO

There's a piece on the OS about Howard Kendall's first game in charge...

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/the-...-all-began.html

The start of a magnificent era certainly (though not immediately and not without tears).

This is a bit of a stretch though imo....

"....the new manager....included no less than five debutants in his inaugural line-up.

Jim Arnold, Mike Walsh, Alan Ainscow, Mickey Thomas and Alan Biley were five of the famed Magnificent Seven that Kendall recruited during his first summer in charge."

Famed magnificent seven :huh: ? First time I've heard them called that. Neville Southall, Gary Stevens, Derek Mountfield, Peter Reid, Kevin Ratcliffe, Trevor Steven, Graeme Sharp, Paul Bracewell, Kevin Sheedy and Andy Gray maybe.

(I know that's more than seven and they weren't signed in 1981 before anyone points it out :) )

Jim Arnold, Mike Walsh, Alan Ainscow, Mickey Thomas and Alan Biley were five of the famed Magnificent Seven that Kendall recruited during his first summer in charge."[/i]

Famed magnificent seven :huh: ? First time I've heard them called that. Neville Southall, Gary Stevens, Derek Mountfield, Peter Reid, Kevin Ratcliffe, Trevor Steven, Graeme Sharp, Paul Bracewell, Kevin Sheedy and Andy Gray maybe.

(I know that's more than seven and they weren't signed in 1981 before anyone points it out :) )

If the five players mentioned in the top quote are part of the so called magnificent seven then the players you mentioned in the 2nd quote albeit a very talented 'Magnificent 10 couldn't be part of the seven mentioned.

Sorry if I'm being a bit pedantic but it's just the way I am :)

If the five players mentioned in the top quote are part of the so called magnificent seven then the players you mentioned in the 2nd quote albeit a very talented 'Magnificent 10 couldn't be part of the seven mentioned.

Sorry if I'm being a bit pedantic but it's just the way I am :)

:lol:

I didn't say they were. My point was that I'd never heard of a "magnificent seven," famed or otherwise, and that if there was to be a list (of indeterminate number) of magnificent players from the Kendall era then none of the five mentioned would get a look in.

The ten I mentioned (who could be described as magnificent) were acknowledged as not part of the named five plus the additional un-named "famed" magnificent two (who they?).

I hope that's clear :D .