IGNORED

Darron Gibson

He is such a good player for us, really upset that this happened. At least we have Barry and McCarthy I suppose

Maybe Lundstrum will get a chance!

I have to say looking back on his Everton career that he has been inconsistent. At the beginning of last season, he looked great, then he was injured, and since then his form has blown hot and cold. It's a bit ironic that after turning his back on Ireland that he suffers a bad injury after returning for them. I hope he isn't out for long as I don't like to see players injured, but not the huge loss some fans are making out, other than decreasing our options. Certainly this season we've mostly been without him. Good luck to him all the same.

Did my ACL a few years back and needed the full reconstruction, which took in total about 12 months recover fully. If he's having a recon, we'd be lucky to see him this season.

Gutted for the lad!

Thankfully it's not that, there's no damage to structure of the knee, just the ligament.

Heard Martinez on the radio this evening saying that his injury might force us to move in the transfer market in January, hope that means we go for the lad from Porto

No. I don't want to spend 12-15m on another midfielder. We need to find someone as cover/cheaper and save our larger kitty for a capable striker in January or next summer.

We need to throw almost all our available money into a Midfielder or 2 IMO as a priority. One more centre mid injury and we are in big trouble. Even before Gibsons injury we needed cover - I would go as far as saying we need another 2 in there. Osman is simply not the player he was.

Available Central Midfielder options: need 2...

Osman

Barry

McCarthy

Junior - good enough?

Lundstrum - ready?

excluding Barkley as he is an attacking midfielder and is not yet ready for the responsibility as part of a two man central role

Striker options need 1 using our current system...

Lukaku

Jelavic

Kone

Mirallas

Naismith

Deulofeu

Vellios

Whilst realistically you won't be looking any further than Lukaku, Kone and Mirallas as potential goal getters - we do have more options up front.

We need to throw almost all our available money into a Midfielder or 2 IMO as a priority. One more centre mid injury and we are in big trouble. Even before Gibsons injury we needed cover - I would go as far as saying we need another 2 in there. Osman is simply not the player he was.

Osman

Barry

McCarthy

Junior - good enough?

Lundstrum - ready?

excluding Barkley as he is an attacking midfielder and is not yet ready for the responsibility as part of a two man central role

Lukaku

Jelavic

Kone

Mirallas

Naismith

Deulofeu

Vellios

Whilst realistically you won't be looking any further than Lukaku, Kone and Mirallas as potential goal getters - we do have more options up front.

I think we shouldn't spend too much in January and definitely not on central midfielders. I'd go for a cheap central midfielder in January as I do think we need cover, I'd maybe give Barkley a shot in a box-to-box role as well later in the season. We just need solid players in those positions. And then I'd spend big on forwards in the summer. It's those four positions up front - the centre forward, attacking midfielder and wingers - who are going to help us push on and I think we need more quality in those positions.

Osman

Barry

McCarthy

Junior - good enough?

Lundstrum - ready?

Lukaku

Jelavic

Kone

Mirallas

Naismith

Deulofeu

Vellios

Junior is away on a season long loan isn't he?

• 2 months later...

we need news about Gibso-

same mysterious absence last season -

what is wrong? when will he be back?

should'nt we sell him and get proper fit cover for Barry and McCarthy?

What's mysterious about a cruciate ligament injury? He's back at a push just before the end of the season, but more likely not until next season.

thank you markjazzbassist -

what is also crystal clear then is that we have insufficient cover for def mid position - with no hope of internal solutions

two suggestions : get cover in January and stop depending on Gibson in the long run -

i hope that clears up what i was trying to get at with my posts putting factual errors aside

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

in the crystal palace pre-game today roberto said that darron will be back in training next week and expects to see him play before the end of the campaign.

Brilliant. I doubt he'll be match fit or shake the rustiness in time to start against City on the last day, but it'll be good to have someone on the bench to slot into CM should whoever is playing there (obviously Barry is ineligible) take a knock.