IGNORED

Darron Gibson

Breath of fresh air in the middle. He should be in next to McCarthy. Proper footballer with a proper footballing brain. The difference having someone who lifts his head up in the middle.

McCarthy is the workhorse, Gibson makes the game tick over and can play forward passes. A proper central midfielder.

But he had a good cameo, Patto. Who cares how reliable and impressive Barry has been for us?

;)

Gibson is a better footballer than both McCarthy & Barry he sees things much better. He showed that last night and before you start talking bollocks about judging on one game. I've seen Gibson play over and over and he's always been brilliant. Just look at this thread. I rate him highly.

On that point though....Maybe we should get Traore back in. He's absolutely ripping the French league up?

Edited by MC11

Gibson is a better footballer than both McCarthy & Barry he sees things much better. He showed that last night and before you start talking bollocks about judging on one game. I've seen Gibson play over and over and he's always been brilliant. Just look at this thread. I rate him highly.

On that point though....Maybe we should get Traore back in. He's absolutely ripping the French league up?

Who's talking bollocks now. Over and over, he's forever injured!

Gibson

Years Team Apps (Gls)

2005–2012 Manchester United 31 (3)

2006–2007Royal Antwerp (loan) 31 (1)

2007–2008Wolverhampton Wanderers (loan) 21 (1)

2012– Everton 37 (2

So in the 10 years he has been playing he has managed 68 appearances in the top flight. Barry has managed 354 games in the same period.

Barry

Years Team Apps (Gls)
1998–2009 Aston Villa 365 (41)
2009–2014 Manchester City 132 (6)
2013–2014Everton (loan) 32 (3)
2014– Everton 10 (0)

I also rate him, but to say he should waltz back after a cameo and replace a consistent player is just daft. He, like any other player, has to earn their place. Last night was a good start.

Edited by Matt

Who's talking bollocks now. Over and over, he's forever injured!

Gibson

Years Team Apps (Gls)

2005–2012 Manchester United 31 (3)

2006–2007 → Royal Antwerp (loan) 31 (1)

2007–2008 → Wolverhampton Wanderers (loan) 21 (1)

2012– Everton 37 (2

So in the 10 years he has been playing he has managed 68 appearances in the top flight. Barry has managed 354 games in the same period.

Barry

Years Team Apps (Gls)

1998–2009 Aston Villa 365 (41)

2009–2014 Manchester City 132 (6)

2013–2014 → Everton (loan) 32 (3)

2014– Everton 10 (0)

I also rate him, but to say he should waltz back after a cameo and replace a consistent player is just daft. He, like any other player, has to earn their place. Last night was a good start.

I'm judging it on what he does when he's fit & he's now fit. The guy does a lot more with the ball than both McCarthy & Barry combined. He stuck out like a sore thumb when he came on. He was looking to make things happen. His head was actually lifted.

It's right he'll have to earn his stripes. But I think he should be in.

As said by me and many before me...good useful player. Fans always welcome him back.

But there's the issue...always welcome him back...injury prone. So you can never rely on him as your out and out first choice midfielder. You'll always have to have another option with him. And that's why he actually becomes that 'other option' for others instead.

Gibson won't and in my opinion doesn't deserve to start ahead of McCarthy and Barry. However, that doesn't mean I don't want him playing well. A fit and healthy Gibson is an excellent player and will seriously improve our squad. I must admit his performance yesterday was impressive after he came on. I would have no fears in putting him in if Barry was injured. Doubtful for the weekend isn't he, interesting to see if he's missing if Martinez will go with Besic or Gibson.

I fail to see how he could deserve a chance ahead of McCarthy or Barry as they have both been excellent most of this season, especially recently.

It also worth noting that McCarthy is leading the pass before the assist stats according to Executionersbong.

He can't be. He can only pass 5 yards sideways!!!

I still remember the time period when we first signed him and that long stretch when we didn't lose a game that he played. I was pleasantly surprised that he played so well, but it is just a shame that he is injury prone. I would have him as a Cup player and use him/Besic when Barry begins to slow down later on in the season.

I fail to see how he could deserve a chance ahead of McCarthy or Barry as they have both been excellent most of this season, especially recently.

It also worth noting that McCarthy is leading the pass before the assist stats according to Executionersbong.

This has to go down as one of the most ridiculous statements ever. The pass before the assist lol. What's next he was closest to the scorer. Unbelievable.

This has to go down as one of the most ridiculous statements ever. The pass before the assist lol. What's next he was closest to the scorer. Unbelievable.

It's what we call a "hockey assist" here in the states. There are cases (like an assist) where they obviously aren't all created equal and aren't all valued the same but it's also unfair to disqualify it entirely :)

It's what we call a "hockey assist" here in the states. There are cases (like an assist) where they obviously aren't all created equal and aren't all valued the same but it's also unfair to disqualify it entirely :)

He's bound to be he's a central midfielder. If you look at other clubs it will probably be the same - a central midfielder. He links defence to attack. I've never heard of anyone getting credentials for being the 2nd to an assist.

Guest millwallforever

Sell him in the January window while he's looking good and healthy.

Agreed...he is our fourth/sixth choice central midfielder, behind Barry, McCarthy, Besic, Osman, and Barkley. Martinez brought him on early against Lille only because we were 3-0 up. Martinez praises all of his players in public, but I doubt that Gibson has much of a future at Everton.

Guest millwallforever

That blip against Lille hardly proves anything. We were already 3-0 up against a team that had pretty much given up the chase.

Not ridiculous at all.

It's good that sone recognise that it's not only the final pass that creates a goal. Barkley's assists count Is a good testament to this.

Another example is Lukaku's involvement in goals against Lille. He didn't get the assist but is recognised as having a major involvement in the goals.

Was poor today unfortunately. Lacking real match fitness. Does look for the defence splitting pass but it's 50/50 whether it comes off. Started off ok, but faded alarmingly.

If Barry's out for a bit, will be more likely to be Besic to start.

i hope so! yikes he looked rough. was fine for maybe 25 minutes and then disappeared for the rest of the game. he makes osman look like a marathoner!

i would like to see besic as well.

Not good enough at the moment and im not sure that he will ever get back to his best. Injury prone too. Id be ok if he was sold in Jan. Unsure now tho.f both Barry and McCarthy are going to be side lined due to injuries. Gibson and Besic might be our only natural players in those positions. Scary thought

Guest millwallforever

Not good enough at the moment and im not sure that he will ever get back to his best. Injury prone too. Id be ok if he was sold in Jan. Unsure now tho.f both Barry and McCarthy are going to be side lined due to injuries. Gibson and Besic might be our only natural players in those positions. Scary thought

Oviedo can play central midfield.