IGNORED

134 Billion Dollars On The Train.

holystove

I wonder if anyone had heard about this ..

Two Japanese men are detained in Italy after allegedly attempting to take $134 billion worth of U.S. bonds over the border into Switzerland.

134 billion, that's 3 times the worth of Bill Gates.

The article is quite well written:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=a62_boqkurbI .

I'm guessing 0.001% of that money would buy Everton :D .

Strange story really .. My first reaction was 'well it's probably fake money' .. But after thinking about it, where do you exchange Kennedy Bonds which are worth 1 billion dollars?.. Who could possibly be on the other end of that transaction? The dollar amounts are way too large for even large-scale criminal activity... Only treasuries would accept those and you can't really fool them into taking fake money because they'll check them in every way possible .. So, what if there is a possibility that these Bonds are real? .. Does this mean that concerns about the weakness of the dollar are to such an extend that States are looking to just dump dollars? Maybe someone is dumping bonds before the crash and they don’t want to let it out.

Also it appears both men have now been released from prison.. wtf?

An expert on FNC was of the opinion a government had to be behind this, especially if these were indeed counterfeit. The expert remarked that only a government would have the technology to concoct forgeries this good.

Further reading : http://www.asianews.it/index.php?l=en&...5456&size=A

"Italian authorities have not yet determined whether they are real or fake, but if they are real the attempt to take them into Switzerland would be the largest financial smuggling operation in history; if they are fake, the matter would be even more mind-boggling because the quality of the counterfeit work is such that the fake bonds are indistinguishable from the real ones."

Anyway, for the official reaction of government instances see this article : http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/82091ec2-5c2f-11...?nclick_check=1 .

The last word ? http://gawker.com/5295490/the-billions-in-...ished-were-real

And more towards the possibility that they're fake and those two Japanese are indeed not very good at organized crime : it's been done before in the Philippines : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1180171.stm

A post I read on another forum :

Neither ...not Mafia, Yakuza, Mafiya, Triads, Tongs ...none of the above. Whatever the truth is, the following facts are certain:

i) For such a good (allegedly) forgery, the forgers left out something that would have been obvious with anyone who has a couple of ganglion for a brain! It makes no sense to make a forgery that can pass, but then make it in a denomination that never existed! It is like making an 'super Dollar'(the so called near-perfect greenback forgeries), only to make the denomination 1,500 per note, and put the face of Obama on its face! Yes, sure the workmanship is perfect, but you'd need an utter fool to accept those notes (apart from as souvenirs). These bearer bonds may have looked authentic, but they could never have passed the smell test due to several factors (e.g. Kennedy).

ii) The two people (or whoever sent them) wanted to get caught. As other FReepers have said, if it was some sort of covert attempt from some Government to offload bonds via smuggling them discretely to Switzerland, why not put them in a diplomatic pouch? If you want to take things the hard way, then there are so many other ways to smuggle paper through borders ...nothing that requires anything as asinine as false-bottomed cases! For that matter, two well dressed Japanese men in a train used a lot by blue-collar workers ...it grabs attention.

Basically, these men (or whomever sent them) wanted to get caught. Maybe to discredit (well ...more accurately, to FURTHER discredit) full faith and trust in US money?

I don't know ...however, saying it is the Italian Mafia is rather dumb. If the mob (any mob ...even the down-earth Yobs of the UK who like smashing bottles on immigrants) wanted to smuggle something, particularly paper, they could easily do it. They have channels, they have ways ...and those ways do not include smartly dressed 'Japanese men' taking train rides with false-bottomed bags.

I love this story :).

Strange way of looking at that story............. why isn't it the general news????? hmmmmm

Its a bit like the Iranian Oil Bursury... they don't tell you what they don't want you to know.....

You're right .. They don't tell you anything ... I've been reading up on that Iranian Oil Bursary.. Some say it's connected to the 134billion because Japan is one of the biggest creditors of the US and fears that all OPEC countries turn towards the EURO, the dollar will become worthless.

Others say Saddam Hussein was trying to do the same in 2000, hence the cynical launch of 'Operation Iraqi Freedom' in 2003.

But all the information comes from these conspiracy theory bloggers and I don't know what they made up and what is actual fact.

It's impossible to find out anything definite.

You're right .. They don't tell you anything ... I've been reading up on that Iranian Oil Bursary.. Some say it's connected to the 134billion because Japan is one of the biggest creditors of the US and fears that all OPEC countries turn towards the EURO, the dollar will become worthless.

Others say Saddam Hussein was trying to do the same in 2000, hence the cynical launch of 'Operation Iraqi Freedom' in 2003.

But all the information comes from these conspiracy theory bloggers and I don't know what they made up and what is actual fact.

It's impossible to find out anything definite.

Holystove... someone after my own heart :P

Heres a nice link about the whole oil bursery thing and how its linked to EVERTYHING... A v good link and explains how the whole thing has come about....

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/12125

Its not conspirarcy... Its fact..... the only question standing in the way of this fact is... would our governments go to war and hence kill to protect our way of life.....

Holystove... someone after my own heart :P

Heres a nice link about the whole oil bursery thing and how its linked to EVERTYHING... A v good link and explains how the whole thing has come about....

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/12125

Its not conspirarcy... Its fact..... the only question standing in the way of this fact is... would our governments go to war and hence kill to protect our way of life.....

In that article he lists several possible outcomes of the establishment of an IOB, one of them is :

· Coup d’état—this is by far the best long-term strategy available to the Americans.

Article published in 2006. IOB established in 2008 for oil derivatives, planning towards trade in crude oil. Iranian civil uprising ongoing in 2009. :) .

I won't get into it but it also talks about disrupting the world stock markets........ 9/11 attacks & current bank crisis

Yes because of the credibility of the writer I've searched for a couple of other articles written by him.

http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/petrov/main.html .. Although mostly about macroeconomics and not so much about political implications as in the article you posted.