IGNORED

Transfer Disappointments Yet Again?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest efctaxi
I think someone said yesterday we are one of only about 5 that haven't villa and chelsea being two of those

Haven't Chelsea already signed Sturridge and Turnbull ?

Summer window and we are still dragging our heels on signings. Even someone who was going to be on a 'free' (Owen) was not enough to stir the dead arses in the suits. So Hull made a try for him, and still Everton did nothing. Now he is having fitness checks with ManUre, so we will have no chance now.

I expect that if we do make a signing now it will be an overpriced useless lard bucket. Perhaps it may even be Beattie again? Or anoth Fellini (who was well over the top in price IMO)

Bill Kenwright says he loves Everton, David Moyes is a great manager. Yet between them they can't get their heads out of the sand and do things off the pitch. It can not just be about money, not when Owen was on a free and they broke the club's transfer record for Beattie and then again for Fellini.

I am thoroughly fed up and disgusted in the seemingly total lack of any real ambition apart from that pet project of destroying the club's heritage by moving them from their home and roots. :angry:

OK rant over..... feel free to give me stick for it. ;)

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/-it-...iting-time.html

That sets alarm bells off in my head, a typical Everton soundbite <_< .

I agree, I saw the interview, and it bore all the signs of being staged and scripted to lower expectations. It's the usual fare, and my fear is that these sort of planted interviews will happen every so often between now and end of August. We could all end up listening to a series of lectures about inflated transfer fees, wages, the negative effect of agents, the impact of the global recession, the loss of Setanta money, the uncertainty regarding DK, the unwillingness of banks to extend credit lines etc etc etc.

This would be so much in line with Kenwright's past form. Just hope I'm wrong but the Carter interview was for me, very clear in tone and intent. He wouldn't just have a microphone pointed towards him at random like that and speak off the top of his head (unlike Bill) so he obviously had a point he wanted to make in an undramatic, low-key way. The club can refer to this later on in a few weeks and say "well we did tell tell you"

• 3 weeks later...

Naughton to Spurs so we missed out on him. But why is that? In all but money we are a better club to sign for as we are consistently up towards the top of the league over the past few seasons.

In all but money................... Well there's the answer I suppose.

We are still a big club, with big ambitions and a big history. Unfortunately, love them or hate them, we are run by people with small minds, or small pockets. (I suspect a bit of both.)

Naughton to Spurs so we missed out on him. But why is that? In all but money we are a better club to sign for as we are consistently up towards the top of the league over the past few seasons.

In all but money................... Well there's the answer I suppose.

We are still a big club, with big ambitions and a big history. Unfortunately, love them or hate them, we are run by people with small minds, or small pockets. (I suspect a bit of both.)

Im not so sure about that. I think its time we all realised that Everton are nowhere near as big as we would all like or beleive them to be

Its all about money these days and that makes Man U , Arsenal, Chelsea, the Shite, Villa, West Ham , Spurs, Wigan, Sunderland, Man City, Pompey all bigger than us

Im not so sure about that. I think its time we all realised that Everton are nowhere near as big as we would all like or beleive them to be

Its all about money these days and that makes Man U , Arsenal, Chelsea, the Shite, Villa, West Ham , Spurs, Wigan, Sunderland, Man City, Pompey all bigger than us

I hear what you are saying. But what is the answer? Why have those clubs got more money than us? Pompey? Wigan? Fer chrissake what makes them so bloody wealthy over us?

money doesnt make a big club i refuse to believe that! it makes them a rich club but until they achieve something in their history then they are therefore not a big club!

It would be nice to think that but unfortunately in this day and age money talks.

If Everton, Man City & Chealsea all wanted the same playerwho do you think would get him? Not us thats for sure and yet historicaly we are the bigger club. The sad truth is thats exactly what we are as a big club - history

I understand you point Dunc but having more money then one club does not make you any bigger then the next, We are a big club we are the 5th best team in the best league in the world with a silver lined history and one of the best fan bases in the league. In todays world we are simply overlooked due to the limelight that being in the top four gives.

Out of those clubs i would say that only the top four are larger then ourselves i understand the lure money has on any player as it does ourselves but it simply does not make them a bigger club.

I understand you point Dunc but having more money then one club does not make you any bigger then the next, We are a big club we are the 5th best team in the best league in the world with a silver lined history and one of the best fan bases in the league. In todays world we are simply overlooked due to the limelight that being in the top four gives.

Out of those clubs i would say that only the top four are larger then ourselves i understand the lure money has on any player as it does ourselves but it simply does not make them a bigger club.

I agree, to say Pompey and Wigan etc are bigger than us is laughable. Portsmouth were taken over by Gaydamak and were supposedly big spenders, then with every season that went by their ambition lowered, their manager left, the players were sold off and now the club has a new owner, who's to say he's going to splash the cash left, right and centre? They also have a team nowhere near as good as ours anyway. We have consistently finished above the other teams every season. Lerner has been quite cautious at Villa recently, Sunderland are playing catch up and have new owners, their money will run out, the same with West Ham. Man City, if they buy the right players are going to be serious rivals to us, Spurs should be but manage to make bad signing after bad signing and have injury prone players in defence. If we sign a RB and RW soon then Evertonians mentality will change overnight, we just need to make our first signing!

I know all about our history but its just that history.

If we cant afford to improve the side we will get left behind . All of the sides chasing the top 4 seem to be after the same players and we all know that means that we will miss out on them because all the clubs that Ive mentioned would blow us out of the water

The likes of Preston and Blackpool were big sides in there day but they were left behind long ago. Now Im not saying that we will fall that far Im just saying we can no longer claim to be a "big club"

Its all well and good having one of the best fan bases in the league but if you look at the average attendances we are very much mid table.

Can you honestly look at our current squad and say that it is either strong enough or good enough? The defence is particularly worrying and if we were to lose Lescott it really would be a crisis and what happens if we start to pick up injuries and suspensions?

I know all about our history but its just that history.

If we cant afford to improve the side we will get left behind . All of the sides chasing the top 4 seem to be after the same players and we all know that means that we will miss out on them because all the clubs that Ive mentioned would blow us out of the water

The likes of Preston and Blackpool were big sides in there day but they were left behind long ago. Now Im not saying that we will fall that far Im just saying we can no longer claim to be a "big club"

Its all well and good having one of the best fan bases in the league but if you look at the average attendances we are very much mid table.

Can you honestly look at our current squad and say that it is either strong enough or good enough? The defence is particularly worrying and if we were to lose Lescott it really would be a crisis and what happens if we start to pick up injuries and suspensions?

but we have basically the same squad that finished 5th and reached the FA Cup final last season and last season we had the worst injury crisis known to man. We also have Rodwell maturing, Fellaini/Jo having settled in, I still think we are in a stronger position than last season. I still think we need 2 signings, RB and RW and I'm sure Moyes knows it too (hence the bid for Naughton and the interest in Rasmus Elm) but after that anything else is a bonus. IF we sold Lescott then yes we need to sign some cover but otherwise we only really NEED 2 players.

I still think we are in a stronger position than last season.

No question. Posted it elsewhere but our team against Blackburn in the opening game last year was...

Howard, Neville, Yobo, Lescott, Valente, Rodwell, Baines, Osman, Jagielka, Arteta, Yakubu.

Turner, Wallace, Gosling, Kissock, Jutkiewicz, Baxter, Agard.

By any reckoning we're stronger than that....barring another injury crisis.

No question. Posted it elsewhere but our team against Blackburn in the opening game last year was...

Howard, Neville, Yobo, Lescott, Valente, Rodwell, Baines, Osman, Jagielka, Arteta, Yakubu.

Turner, Wallace, Gosling, Kissock, Jutkiewicz, Baxter, Agard.

By any reckoning we're stronger than that....barring another injury crisis.

That team doesn't actually look THAT bad on paper, until you realise that we had 3 defenders playing in midfield and Neville playing at RB. Those were tough times. No Cahill, no Fellaini, no Pienaar, Rodwell playing his first proper match etc. Once Arteta is back we'll be ok, we have a lot of players who can play various positions which is brilliant management on Moyes part. I just wish we'd signed Naughton (assuming he was any good) as then one of our problem positions would have been sorted and I think Evertonians would have been a lot more relaxed right now. We just need to make a signing and then the atmosphere will change, at the moment it is becoming worryingly like last pre-season.

but we have basically the same squad that finished 5th and reached the FA Cup final last season and last season we had the worst injury crisis known to man. We also have Rodwell maturing, Fellaini/Jo having settled in, I still think we are in a stronger position than last season. I still think we need 2 signings, RB and RW and I'm sure Moyes knows it too (hence the bid for Naughton and the interest in Rasmus Elm) but after that anything else is a bonus. IF we sold Lescott then yes we need to sign some cover but otherwise we only really NEED 2 players.

I couldnt disagree more I think we need at least 5 players especially if we are going to have a go in Europe. Take a look at how many defenders we have in our squad its ridiculously small.

We only have Hibbo, Lescott, Yobbo & Baines , fair enough Neville could drop back to RB but what happens if we lose Baines or a CB, what happens if we sell Lescott. Everybody keeps saying we need a new RB but that is probably the only position in the back four where we do have cover. Dont get me wrong I do think we need to strenghthen there but Im more worried about CB at the moment.

Even when Jags is back we then lose Yobo to the African Nations Cup

I think we need a RB, LB, CB, creative CM, DM & RW

I think we need a RB, LB, CB, creative CM, DM & RW

I pretty much agree with this assessment the only additional comments I would make would be the level they should be at.

I think RB needs to be first team starter so 6 Mil

Left back needs ot be cover so young potential 3 mil

CB really needs to challenge so 5 mil

creative mid not 100% we need this position but based on defour price 15 mil

DM I think with neville fellani and rodwell this is covered so not required

RW This is the most important and we need someone at the level of downing 10 mil perhaps.thats a good 30 mil + worth of spending.