IGNORED

Rodwell

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man City sniffing around too...

http://www.dailymail...l.html?ITO=1490

Manchester City have joined the queue of top clubs showing interest in Everton prodigy Jack Rodwell.

Sportsmail revealed last week that champions Manchester United have identified the Everton midfielder as a long-term target, with manager Sir Alex Ferguson asking about Rodwell's personality and prospects.

article-0-06DC17C0000005DC-12_468x328.jpg

Star of the future: Jack Rodwell has been watched by the Premier League big boys

Now it has emerged that City manager Mark Hughes is sending scouts to most Everton games to monitor the 18-year-old's progress.

Rodwell is playing as a central midfielder under David Moyes but has been tipped as a top-class central defender of the future and it is this versatility that has made him such an attractive target for the country's leading clubs.

Hughes is looking for more defensive players after seeing his team's expensive attacking talent undermined this season by uncertainties and deficiencies at the back.

It is unlikely that Rodwell will be targeted by City as early as January, but a bid next summer is a distinct possibility.

Rodwell played for Everton's Under 18s when he was 14 and made his Premier League debut in March last year. He has made 27 appearances for the club so far.

I said a while ago, that under Kenwrights stewardship we are vulnerable to the supposed Big clubs coming in to get Jack. This is not a direct criticism of Kenwright, it is pointing out the fact that money talks, and we haven't got any. We need a big backer otherwise we may as well get used to mid table mediocrity.

With financial backing we have the ability to reject bids and give contracts to players that they would be worth. If we had Ronaldo would we have got £80m off Madrid? Nope, probably less than half that amount.

The transfer market is a game of poker to a large extent, and everyone can see our hand and know our play at the moment.

Selling Rodwell would be worse than selling Rooney, Rooney needed to be sold to stop the club going under. We do not need to sell at the moment, it's just that our main source of vast income is selling players.

If united sold Scholes, Beckham, Gary Neville, Giggs to the highest bidder when they were still under 20 would they have won what they won? No chance. If Liverpool sold Gerrard for £40m to Chelsea, would what they spent the next £40m on in transfers replace gerrards impact for Liverpool, no chance. Let's get out of the mind set that we need to sell to strengthen our team. Yes it's nice to make money and to buy players, not at the expense of potential world class home grown talent.

I've about managed to keep the mindset that we are a big club, however if continually exposed to debates about how much we will sell our best players to 'bigger?!' clubs, that mindset will challenged.

We are a big, we are able to keep players happy to a point. That point arrives when we are exposed at being financially weak. Do Liverpool fans discuss how much they will sell Torres for, or do they think ooooh let's sell Gerrard for £100m. They don't, because they realise that the asset is best deployed on the pitch, look at what has happened to them since Alonso's sale.

Let's stop even contemplating that the sale of players that we should be building a team around is something we have to do. We will never win trophies with that mentality, The mentality we need to adopt is that we have the foundations of a good team, to build on that we need money, do we get money from our board? No! - Get a board in that will do that and stop relying on Moyes being a track suit version of Derrick Trotter.

Catch 22.

How can we get champs league when we sell our best players to the teams vying for top spot? How can you attract top players to your ambitions when your ambitions are funded by selling the best players? How can you keep your best players when those around you will pay more?

The answer these days is cash cash and more cash. I am happy with what I see at pitch level, I'm not happy with what our manager is expected to develop our squad on, that is what the board are meant to sort out, they ain't so get them gone before more of the family silver is sold.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting for the "I won't sell him for £50 million" - then we know he's on his way. Future England captain, then again so is Rooney. If we do get investement it can't come quick enough, this is a lad who the team should be built around for years to come.

Please don't anyone say "£20m would be good business" because like the muppet Townsend and many others will say for years to come, Everton are a good club to "learn your trade" - I thought that was Tranmere, Preston etc. Is that all we are? Maybe we are if we keep selling our best players when bids in the region of £20m come through.

Here's the answer to who will be sold to fund our spending next summer. A couple more million should do to persuade our board, that's the sum of their ambitions.

Overly cynical imo (but as you had a rough night understandable :P ).

"Chelsea are the first team to make a serious offer to Everton."

Serious?! Piss-take :angry: .

Nobody wants him to go and I'd love the team to be built around him...if Chelsea (or anyone else) was seriously interested they'd be offering a lot more than fourteen pathetic million. And no...it wouldn't be "good business at £20m." Double that as a starting point in the (hopefully unlikely) event that Jack goes down the Lescott route but move heaven and earth to keep him.

Let's remember a lot depends on the player in question!What if he wants to move on?

What are they worth then?......do you keep an unhappy player?

Money, Greed and ambition, they all play a part.

What if we had infact been LUCKY this year with injuries....and to some extent the form of players such as Cahill and Fellaini (because to be fair those two players certainly haven't performed to our expectations)...then we could have been pushing for top 4 easy.

We could have had a good season ahead, possibly more money coming in.Perhaps Rodwell could have reapt the benifit of things like that, and maybe a good contract extention

would have come his way!

Those things don't appear to be happining at the moment.....that's not important if he is happy with Everton and not a greedy person.....but what if he's ambitious, and Everton can't help him achieve what he wants, should we hold him back for a couple of years, would he play for us (with his heart)....would we be fools to not cash in on a really stupid offer.

It's all down to Rodwell and what HE wants.

Edited by Blue 250

And some bullshit!

Liverpool sold Alonso, Keane and Crouch, all three players in my mind made liverpool a better team with more options.....SO THAT MAKES THEM A SELLING CLUB!

Man Utd sold Ronaldo and Tevez, both of those players made United a better team....so that makes THEM a SELLING club!

Arsenal....sold players......and so on!

We sold Alan Ball and Bob Latchford........I guess we even sold Dixie Dean :blink:

Rooney WANTED to go.......Lescott Wanted to go, What the hell was Everton going to do? refuse them the chance to go, unsettle the club and then still lose them in the end for half the price or nothing.

Look at the wonderfull Man City.....Lescotts getting slaughted by their fans, Tevez wants to retire and Robinho wants to leave.........Let them give us £30million for Rodwell, watch the move and the money go to his head!....watch him under perform!.....watch him just go on to be an average player.......Then watch Everton spend the £30million wiseley and get stronger, like they did after Rooney left.

OH I don't want Rodwell to go, unless it's for the benifit of Everton football club and lets be honest that is a possibility.

There's a lot of hype about Rodwell, that's good because he's OURS, we've got a potentialy great player or a pretty big bundle of cash, let's just be thankfull either way.

The difference is Liverpool, Man United etc let those players go once they'd helped them win things.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/599117/BIG-GUNS-IN-pound20M-JACK-RODWELL-BATTLE.html

But it was made clear to them that only a straight cash deal would be considered.

^^^^ if that's true then it just shows what Everton are made of; not very much.

The difference is Liverpool, Man United etc let those players go once they'd helped them win things.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/599117/BIG-GUNS-IN-pound20M-JACK-RODWELL-BATTLE.html

OH!....liverpool and Man Utd let those players go....because they had helped them win things!.....have they suddenly stopped wanting to win things then :blink: Their teams would certainly be better with those players on board.......you only have to listen to the fans of those two clubs to know that....THEY SOLD THEIR BEST PLAYERS!....they ARE selling clubs! :)

How can Moyes win? if he says now there is no way Everton will ever sell Rodwell, then in a years time Rodwell tells him he wants to triple his money and leave, ie effect forcing Moyes' hand......Moyes will look stupid and a liar.He's been knifed in the back twice already Rooney and Lescott, players that WANTED to leave.....just the same as Ronaldo and Alonso.How can you keep an unhappy player, once the big money boys start talking, the problems are there!

Lescott certainly wasn't worth what City paid for him, just the same as Fellaini probably hasn't lived up to his price tag.....it's not how much you pay, it's how good the player turns out....for instance look at Cahill, Arteta and Jagielka.You could have bought those players for the amount Lescott was sold for and probably another couple of prospects.

Same could happen with Rodwell, if he WANTED to go get top TOP dollar, then spend it wisely.

Burnley beat Man Utd and Everton, even with all their big names, including Rodwell and Rooney, it's not all about star players and how much they cost.Mind you United would probably have beaten Burnley with Ronaldo in the team!........But hang on there a moment.

......OH YES they sold him didn't they, because he had already helped them win things :blink: ..........or did they sell because he wanted to leave....and big money was on the table.....Bit like Rooney, Lescott and Alonso....so it could happen to Rodwell.......People should stop sticking the knife into Everton for selling players that want to leave....because Man Utd do it and liverpool and Arsenal do it.

Rodwell may well want to stay....that would be fantastic.But he has an agent who could get rich from the deal, and he has a mind of his own.We just have to live with it the same as any team who unearth a great prospect...except those that have the BIG MONEY.

And some bullshit!

Liverpool sold Alonso, Keane and Crouch, all three players in my mind made liverpool a better team with more options.....SO THAT MAKES THEM A SELLING CLUB!

Man Utd sold Ronaldo and Tevez, both of those players made United a better team....so that makes THEM a SELLING club!

Arsenal....sold players......and so on!

We sold Alan Ball and Bob Latchford........I guess we even sold Dixie Dean :blink:

Rooney WANTED to go.......Lescott Wanted to go, What the hell was Everton going to do? refuse them the chance to go, unsettle the club and then still lose them in the end for half the price or nothing.

Look at the wonderfull Man City.....Lescotts getting slaughted by their fans, Tevez wants to retire and Robinho wants to leave.........Let them give us £30million for Rodwell, watch the move and the money go to his head!....watch him under perform!.....watch him just go on to be an average player.......Then watch Everton spend the £30million wiseley and get stronger, like they did after Rooney left.

OH I don't want Rodwell to go, unless it's for the benifit of Everton football club and lets be honest that is a possibility.

There's a lot of hype about Rodwell, that's good because he's OURS, we've got a potentialy great player or a pretty big bundle of cash, let's just be thankfull either way.

Liverpool didn't want to sell Alonso, Rafa ballsed that up by offering him out the previous year thinking Bary was on his way - so Alonso spat the dummy out, Crouch was a sub, as too was Robbie Keane - Liverpool wanted to sell them to get whatever money they could. Fact is, we are not in a position to keep players we want that would make us a better team. It all boils down to the board, and the topic is money - we ain't got any and never will at this rate.

We HAVE to be a selling club though Blue, that's what is so sad about it and what I don't want to be the case. It was very convenient for the club that Lescott wanted to leave, otherwise we'd have not spent anything in the summer transfer window and we'd be in even more shit with the squad than we are at present. We had to sell Rooney to keep ourselves afloat. This sort of situation isn't what a club as big as Everton should be in, and I'm sure you feel the same way because you're passionate about the club too.

I've never seen Everton be great and look down on the rest of the league, and I fear I never will if we have to keep selling our best players. There is a lot wrong with this club off the field and it's going to impact on the field, we're seeing that this season.

We HAVE to be a selling club though Blue, that's what is so sad about it and what I don't want to be the case. It was very convenient for the club that Lescott wanted to leave, otherwise we'd have not spent anything in the summer transfer window and we'd be in even more shit with the squad than we are at present. We had to sell Rooney to keep ourselves afloat. This sort of situation isn't what a club as big as Everton should be in, and I'm sure you feel the same way because you're passionate about the club too.

I've never seen Everton be great and look down on the rest of the league, and I fear I never will if we have to keep selling our best players. There is a lot wrong with this club off the field and it's going to impact on the field, we're seeing that this season.

I'm lucky to have seen Everton win two leagues, European Cup Winners Cup and become arguably the best team in Europe. We did that in a different climate, money was different but ultimately player mentality was the same. The likes of Sheedy, Bracewell, Sharp, Steven knew they could win things at Everton and we certainly didn't need to sell to buy. When we did sell (Steven to Marseille, Stevens to Rangers etc due to Europe ban) we became a weaker team, and yes we were reimbursed. The point is that we will never become a success when we sell stars of the future. As you say Romey we have become a selling club.

Ok its a big "when" but when we get all the players back from injury I don't think we NEED to sell Rodwell to advance the team.

Its not like a year or two ago when we didn't have a top striker or any creativity in midfield.

We have quality in a lot of positions its only really right back now where we could do with an upgrade.

I was up for Lescott going because we were short of a winger and a few other positions which I think we've now sorted.

we are in a dangerous financial position, other teams know that and will try to exploit it.

theres lots of stories about Rooney being sold, some say he wanted to leave others say he was pushed because we needed the money, but we galvanised after he went and we moved on. but why do we have to keep putting up with our talent leaving to balance the books?

as for lescott going to city, he was just another player, but the kids like Rooney and jack are our own, we see them grow up with the club, we dont want to see them fly the nest because we can pay the bills.

if he goes it will be another dark day in this clubs history.

That just reports the NOTW invention.

£20m is derisory anyway.

Agreed, there is a lot of factors to consider when you try to price Rodwell. Versatility, can play centre mid, centre half (I would hazard a guess he could do a job at full back or as a centre forward - seriously) He has at least 14 years left at this level, to replace with someone of his ability we would need potentially 2 signings to cover him for the period of his career (if you base this on the assumption that we would replace him with a 25/26 year old = two transfer fee's)- you can tell he will be an England regular - potentially captain - he is media friendly and is marketable, he is the type of player you can build around. In ten years time he will be at his peak - quite a scary thought, spread a £20m fee over that time, it's £2m a year eadoer i career it's less, we have just signed distin for that kind of value - who with all due respect is not in the same bracket as Jack.

Without sounding ridiculous, you are looking at Sergio Aguerro money - £50m - £60m.

I had a chat with a Liverpool fan last night who played at a high level, he has known about Rodwell for a while, he reckons his two footed ability is priceless and says that Rodwell is the next Gerrard.