IGNORED

Transfer Targets.

do teams wait to see who we are targeting then chase after then because of Moyes eye for cheap talent? never heard of naughton before reading everton was interested, then i see tottenham and villa interested. seems its happened w/ many targets before as well. can't remember any at the moment as its late and my brain isn't working too well. im just curious if it seems that way to anyone else

Just read this quote from Moysie on the OS doesnt exactly fill me with confidence!

The manager also revealed that he may well target talented young players as part of his strategy of improving the Club on all levels.

He also explained that he was all too aware of the impact European football will have on his squad next term.

We will be bringing in people and maybe not people who I would think are first team players; maybe squad players, Bosmans to build up the squad to cope with things like that (Europe)," said Moyes.

“Often in Europe, when you come back after the mid-week game it is that game where you can struggle,” he continued. “We need more than 12 or 13 players at that level.”

The comment from Moyes does not worry me tbh. There are three places I wanted to see us to add to. Centre Forward, Right Mid and Right Back. We have already picked up Jo so thats covered, we are activly chasing Naughton and hopefully that one will come off, so as long as we move for a decent right mid then i'll be fine. A couple of bosmans and squad members would be perfect. We already have a strong team, we wouldn't have two 5th place finished, A FA Cup final and a league cup semi in two years without having one. We dpn't need wholesale changes, just a few additions. Teams like City can scare our fans by buying an entire new squad every transfer window, but we can still have faith in the strong unit that we have already.

It does worry me if we are not going to bring anybody in who can improve the starting eleven. All the teams around us are strengthening their squads and we are just treading water.

Its quite alarming that it looks like our main buy this summer is going to be an untried championship footballer, this when we have just anounced record profits. If that is the case we have clearly gone as far as we can until we find that ellusive billionaire to rescue us

Its only a matter of time before the big four become the big 5 and those teams are constantly improving and so the gap is continually growing.

Villa are probably on a par with us already and have the dosh to invest and surely Spurs will stumble accross a winning formula sooner or later

It does worry me if we are not going to bring anybody in who can improve the starting eleven. All the teams around us are strengthening their squads and we are just treading water.

Its quite alarming that it looks like our main buy this summer is going to be an untried championship footballer, this when we have just anounced record profits. If that is the case we have clearly gone as far as we can until we find that ellusive billionaire to rescue us

Its only a matter of time before the big four become the big 5 and those teams are constantly improving and so the gap is continually growing.

Villa are probably on a par with us already and have the dosh to invest and surely Spurs will stumble accross a winning formula sooner or later

That's not really true though is it. Villa have lost there captain and vice-captain in Barry and Laursen without replacing them, Spurs have yet to sign anyone at all, Fulham have only signed Stephen Kelly and are welcome to him, and above us Arsenal have only signed one defender. All the teams around us are doing the same as us, very very little. It's only City who are spending the money.

Its quite alarming that it looks like our main buy this summer is going to be an untried championship footballer..

Yeah....we could get stuck with another Cahill, Lescott or Jagielka :( .

I don't think Naughton will be our main buy anyway :) .

And even though our turnover has gone up, so has our debt :( .

Didnt we make 10k pound profit...... I think you looking at the turnover figure.....

I honestly dont think we will be able to have a BIG 5 as you put it..... without Champions league football I dont think any of them could survive indefinately...... Im sure this will upset the apple cart.... I wonder when the 5 would start pushing for changes to the Big European competitions

Edited by DangerMouse

That's not really true though is it. Villa have lost there captain and vice-captain in Barry and Laursen without replacing them, Spurs have yet to sign anyone at all, Fulham have only signed Stephen Kelly and are welcome to him, and above us Arsenal have only signed one defender. All the teams around us are doing the same as us, very very little. It's only City who are spending the money.

I dont really see Fulham as a threat I consider Man City, Spurs & Villa as our main rivals. Man City have obviously already strengthend considerably, Villa are in the process of signing Downing and Oniel has stated he is after 5 or 6 players before the season starts and they have the dosh to do it, Spurs are always throwing money about

Then you have Sunderland, Wigan & West Ham who are all actively strengthening their sides so will probably be catching us up.

We are nowhere near as good as the top 4 and are never likely to be if we cant sign any more players good enough to get into our starting eleven so I think its fair to say we will be treading water at best

i dont get why people see spurs as a threat. they were meant to finish above us in the last seasons according to bookies and experts yet finished nowhere near! dont consider them a threat at all too much shite on the pitch to be honest. villa are too fragile but if they improve then maybe but we're the best of the rest defo. take the top players out of the others like we had and then see how close they would finish :)

I dont really see Fulham as a threat I consider Man City, Spurs & Villa as our main rivals. Man City have obviously already strengthend considerably, Villa are in the process of signing Downing and Oniel has stated he is after 5 or 6 players before the season starts and they have the dosh to do it, Spurs are always throwing money about

Then you have Sunderland, Wigan & West Ham who are all actively strengthening their sides so will probably be catching us up.

We are nowhere near as good as the top 4 and are never likely to be if we cant sign any more players good enough to get into our starting eleven so I think its fair to say we will be treading water at best

O'Niell has stated he wants to bring players to the club, but so has Moyes. And Villa don't have cash to burn, Lerner has been hit hard by the economic downturn so can't afford to throw money at Oniell. Alot of there transfers will have to come from sales of there won player, for example the sale of Barry has let them afford to by Downing. A step backwards in my books but anwyay. Sunederland will continue to flatter to deceive and i dont see them being anywhere near a thread, the same can be said of Wigan. West Ham will come closer this year, as will Spurs. But we have no idea how the transfer window will pan out. It still stands that Villa have yet to spend, Spurs have yet to spend, West Ham (like us) have only brought in a loan signing or youth. Its not the end of the world yet. Of course things are going to be hard but Moyes is a great manager who can do wonders with a small budget. I havefaith in him and i know that our time in the sun will not last for ever. Enjoy it while it last rather than being worried about what is around the next corner.

Yeah....we could get stuck with another Cahill, Lescott or Jagielka :( .

I don't think Naughton will be our main buy anyway :) .

And even though our turnover has gone up, so has our debt :( .

I think his case is a little different from those 3, Cahill had been doing it for a few years at Millwall and was a full international, Lescott had also been around for a few seasons getting all the plaudits the only question mark over him was his injuries and Jags had proven himself in the Prem and was capped at England B level. Naughton has had one season in the Championship and cant get in the England U21 squad

Im not saying dont sign him , quite the opposite he looks like he has stacks of potential and from what Ive heard about him from a couple of mates who support Sheff United he sounds quite promising, so I really want the deal to go through

However if we are harbouring any thoughts of closing the gap on the top 4 then we need to be buying players of proven quality who can walk straight into the starting line up.

I hope that you are right and that he isnt our main signing but after Moysies comments last night I just fear that he will be

O'Niell has stated he wants to bring players to the club, but so has Moyes. And Villa don't have cash to burn, Lerner has been hit hard by the economic downturn so can't afford to throw money at Oniell. Alot of there transfers will have to come from sales of there won player, for example the sale of Barry has let them afford to by Downing. A step backwards in my books but anwyay. Sunederland will continue to flatter to deceive and i dont see them being anywhere near a thread, the same can be said of Wigan. West Ham will come closer this year, as will Spurs. But we have no idea how the transfer window will pan out. It still stands that Villa have yet to spend, Spurs have yet to spend, West Ham (like us) have only brought in a loan signing or youth. Its not the end of the world yet. Of course things are going to be hard but Moyes is a great manager who can do wonders with a small budget. I havefaith in him and i know that our time in the sun will not last for ever. Enjoy it while it last rather than being worried about what is around the next corner.

The difference being Oniel is targetting players to strenghten his starting XI Moyse isnt

So are you saying siging Naughton isn't trying to strenghten our starting line up? Because I would say he is a signing to strenghten our starting line up.

I havent seen enough of him to say wether or not he would make the starting XI. Everybody seems to be convinced he is but it worries me that he cant even make the U21 squad. Put it this way Crainey would never make it into our starting XI and he is the regular U21's right back

He has had one good season in the Championship thats it.

don't mind because it was different. bradley was a good player in a poor league and has been found out at a higher level through lack of ability really or maybe he just hasn't adapted but i've never thought he was that talented anyway. pienaar again came from a poor league but was a much brighter talent and was sought after throughotu europe, he didn't success in germany largely because he didn't fit in because his team mates didn't like him and he was expected to fill rosickys boots straight away. to my knowledge bradley isn't disliked or had that kind of pressure and he wasn't as talented in the first place.

The thing about Bradley is that he makes up for his lack of talent with his work effort. And he has a passion for the game that few possess, he works his butt off and he's still young so there's no reason why he can't get better. I don't see why you say he can't hack it in the German league when he was basically what kept 'Gladbach out of relegation. He can play with the best of them. Proof: U.S. vs Spain. He was the one who contained Xavi and the rest of the Spanish midfield. Something that no one had done for quite some time. His personality and passion for the game would make him a perfect fit for Goodison Park.

The thing about Bradley is that he makes up for his lack of talent with his work effort. And he has a passion for the game that few possess, he works his butt off and he's still young so there's no reason why he can't get better. I don't see why you say he can't hack it in the German league when he was basically what kept 'Gladbach out of relegation. He can play with the best of them. Proof: U.S. vs Spain. He was the one who contained Xavi and the rest of the Spanish midfield. Something that no one had done for quite some time. His personality and passion for the game would make him a perfect fit for Goodison Park.

to be honest that spain example isn't the best, anyone can have an off day and it was really the centre halfs that kept spain out, they still had most of the ball and passed it around the midfield, if it wasn't for the back line playing the game of their lives it would have been a different story. i must admit the fact that he's american doesn't make me anymore fond of him either, i'm not keen on having american outfield players, adu was meant to be god's gift to football and turned out to be..well...shit.

Ok well let's be honest. Should Freddy Adu's impact on the football world affect how good of a player Michael Bradley is and can be? No they are not related in any way. So looking at the facts you see that in his first year in Herenveen he broke into the lineup then his second year he scored 15 or so goals from central mid. I know the eredivisie isn't the best league but 15 goals from central mid is pretty good for a 19 year old by anyone's standards. If he were Italian everyone would be trying to get him. In his first year in Germany he broke into the lineup again and score 6 or 7 goals in a much better league. Still not bad, he could improve next year where his value would increase substantially. Nothing is given to him partly because he's American yet he WORKS his way into the starting XI everywhere he goes. He's a fan favorite in Moenchengladbach because he leaves his heart on the pitch and is always in the right place at the right time. As a DM he breaks up attacks and he's a very solid tackler. Forget his nationality and look at what he could provide us.

no it shouldn't just saying americans seem to overhype everything. i've seen bradley quite a few times now and don't see how he's anything special...just an average footballer that i don't think is good enough for everton. so on in that respect i don't think he has anything to offer us that phil neville can't. everton can do much better than michael bradley. well they should be able to, if they can't it really is a shame.

Edited by CraccerC