IGNORED

Jack Rodwell

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Jack Rodwell, Alex Buttner on trial with Revolution

A pair of former EPL players are reportedly on trial with Eastern Conference side New England Revolution.

According to the Boston Globe, Jack Rodwell and Alex Buttner were a part of Revs training this week. Both players are currently free agents and could be potential signings for the club in 2020 with the MLS roster freeze in effect.

High-profile trialists at @NERevolution training today: @JackRodwell & @AlexButtner_28 ex- #ManUnited & #ManchesterCity

— Frank Dell'Apa (@frankdellapa) September 18, 2019

The 28-year-old Rodwell most recently was with Blackburn Rovers of the EFL Championship, and has also played for Manchester City, Everton, and Sunderland. He has over 180 first-team appearances in England and has also won three caps for England.

Buttner, 30, made 13 appearances for Manchester United from 2012-14′ and last played with Vitesse Arnhem of his native Netherlands in 2017. He has also played for Dynamo Moscow and Anderlecht during his professional career, scoring 18 goals in 228 combined first-team outings.

The Revs are currently seeking a spot in the playoffs under Bruce Arena.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2019 at 16:52, Bill said:

3 England caps and deemed to be a star of the future, where the hell did he go wrong to end up scratching round for a club. Even Blackburn didn't want him ffs.

He was absolutely gash when he was at Everton, people just saw him as a diamond because he came through the club's academy. I was absolutely made up when Manchester City took him off us, totally out of his depth playing top flight football - hence why he never made it there and couldn't get a look in at Sunderland nor Blackburn, despite the injuries.

He will only play a handful of games for Roma too (if any). They're having a crisis which is why he's being signed, they can only sign free agents as it's October/November now so Rodwell is the best of what will be a bad bunch. As soon as January comes around they'll sign an actual footballer if need be.

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

He was absolutely gash when he was at Everton, people just saw him as a diamond because he came through the club's academy. I was absolutely made up when Manchester City took him off us, totally out of his depth playing top flight football - hence why he never made it there and couldn't get a look in at Sunderland nor Blackburn, despite the injuries.

He will only play a handful of games for Roma too (if any). They're having a crisis which is why he's being signed, they can only sign free agents as it's October/November now so Rodwell is the best of what will be a bad bunch. As soon as January comes around they'll sign an actual footballer if need be.

He had a real class to him. Moyes didn't play kids unless they were already good enough. Unfortunately Moyes ran him into the ground, just as he did Vaughan and Gosling. Fortunately Rooney and Coleman are naturally gifted fitness wise otherwise I'd imagine they'd have suffered too. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

He had a real class to him. Moyes didn't play kids unless they were already good enough. Unfortunately Moyes ran him into the ground, just as he did Vaughan and Gosling. Fortunately Rooney and Coleman are naturally gifted fitness wise otherwise I'd imagine they'd have suffered too. 

Agree apart from the Gosling shout, he was never going to be PL quality.

19 hours ago, Haiku said:

Is it official? I'm surprised that a club with such a high stature doesn't recognise better options within their reserve/youth setup?! Shocking!

18 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

We did it with Hitzlsperger, more common than u think

It happened more prominently with Anthony Gardner back in the Moyes era. He never really played for Tottenham due to injuries but was loaned by us as back-up due to the AFCON (if I remember correctly, although might have been due to injuries too). He never actually played for us but was just there if we needed him.

Whilst there are young kids in the academy, they're totally unproven at professional level so most managers would look to more experienced heads, regardless of what they have done in their career - I'd argue that until a player sets foot on a professional pitch they're always going to be inexperienced, but that's a completely different topic for another day - ask Ajax that question!

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

not to mention roma are dealing with massive expectations that they never meet, monchi is gone (that didn't go well), so they need a win now.  Rodwell is solid and if needed (likely not) he will be fine.  the italian league is not that high of a level (see out of shape lukaku destroying the league over there)

Second best league in the world for me. Ronaldo 'only' got 21 goals last season. His lowest tally since leaving the prem. 

7 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

It happened more prominently with Anthony Gardner back in the Moyes era. He never really played for Tottenham due to injuries but was loaned by us as back-up due to the AFCON (if I remember correctly, although might have been due to injuries too). He never actually played for us but was just there if we needed him.

Whilst there are young kids in the academy, they're totally unproven at professional level so most managers would look to more experienced heads, regardless of what they have done in their career - I'd argue that until a player sets foot on a professional pitch they're always going to be inexperienced, but that's a completely different topic for another day - ask Ajax that question!

We signed Gardner from Hull didn’t we? He was shit, if we’d needed him we’d have been even worse off than if we’d played with a one-legged pirate in the heart of our defence.