IGNORED

Philippe Senderos Signed On Loan

Sprooly

Everton Could Sell Lescott To Manchester City & Sign Arsenal's Senderos - Report

It seems implausible, but it is being reported that Everton could finally agree to sell their highly-prized defender to Manchester City - and take Arsenal's Swiss misfit in his place, together with

According to the Daily Star, Manchester City are close to landing another of their objects of desire - Everton defender Joleon Lescott - despite the Toffees' consistent insistence that they do not intend to sell the England international.

However, the new factor in the equation, according to the tabloid paper, is that Everton are lining up Arsenal's Philippe Senderos as a replacement.

City's persistence in trying to snare Lescott for a fee of £20 million could finally pay off, according to the report, now that signing Senderos has become an option. Everton had previously rejected offers of £18m and £19m from the big-spending Citizens.

Everton manager David Moyes has been adamant that Lescott would not be leaving Goodison Park, and it seems unlikely that the availability of Senderos has suddenly changed the picture.

It is distinctly possible that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger would allow Swiss international Senderos - who spent last season on loan at AC Milan - to leave the Gunners, but less plausible that Moyes would regard him as a viable replacement for the highly-rated Lescott.

However, the Toffees would turn a handy profit on such a deal, given that Arsenal reportedly inserted a buy-out clause of £6m for Senderos when they loaned him to Milan.

Should City succeed in persuading Everton to sell Lescott for the quoted fee, it would take Mark Hughes' spending this summer to over £112m. In contrast, should Senderos leave Arsenal for £6m, Wenger - having sold Emmanuel Adebayor (£25m) and Kolo Toure (£14m) to City, would have raised some £45m, and (so far) spent just £10m on Belgium defender Thomas Vermaelen from Ajax.

http://goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/08/01/1415380/everton-could-sell-lescott-to-manchester-city-sign-arsenals

mmm thoughts?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd call him the Tony Hibbert of CB.

He's a rock in that he can tackle, head and jump, but is prone to the occasional error and is uncomfortable on the ball. Would be good next to Jags. Not sure about Yobo :S

Edited by Moe Joe

I'd rather have Senderos than Gary Cahill lol.

I think if we sign him and sell Lescott, then we will be able to move on and bring in some top quality players. Because lets face it, where not going to get anywhere with the money we have atm. If we can just bring in a replacement for Lescott (Senderos) and sell Lescott for 18 to 25 million, then we will be able to put this behind us and grab some new players. Because all I hear everyday is Lescott this, Lescott that and personally I'd rather he just go (as long as we get a replacement first) and have it over and done with. :)

Edited by EFC247

I rate Senderos kinda highly. He has a rock mentality and is quite intelligent, despite some of his mistakes.

If Lescott got sold, it would be good and bad. I'll start with the good. We'd get money. I don't think we have money at the moment. The dough would allow us to fill our right midfield liability, and with Lescott gone we'd need to buy a Left Back for cover.

The bad is that Lescott is a safe option to start the season at least 'ok' when it comes to the back 4. When the new guy (if it be Senderos, Michael Turner, Gary Cahill) or whoever comes in, he'll have to hold that position until October. An irregular to our style of play, and obsolete to our pre season. It is risky, but if City keep going the way they are I can assure that Lescott will go.

Lets look at Senderos again. I like him. But will he be able to bang bang bang adapt before August 15 as the number one guy until October? I know as it is, Moyes wants another CB on top of Lescott (because he thinks we'll keep him) so it probably wouldn't just be Senderos coming in for DC. But still, he'd be our main dude.

Edited by Moe Joe

Senderos is a big no from me, just the other day I was stating how poor he is. He is far too error prone, if AC Milan don't want to take up an option to buy at £6m and Arsenal don't want him, why is he good enough for us. Big mistake to buy him. For every good tackle there is a lapse of concentration. Back up for £2m maybe, to replace Joleon, no chance.

Here's a quote from an Arsenal forum.

Senderos is a good, intelligent defender, but he can be a bit clumsy. He also breaks down completely when he makes a mistake - if Moyes can get that out of his game, he has a good defender with a lot of experience despite his young age.

So between the lines, he's shite, unless Moyes can save his arse. :lol:

So if Senderos is a no, then what are our alternatives?

Turner from Hull, Wes Brown, Distin, Cahill, Hangeland, Dunne, Richards, Onuha, Lucas Neill, Carvalho? (would be awesome if we could), Ryan Nelson

All of these stand out in the mind for being solid, not senderos, go on any Arsenal forum and you will see what they think of him. We can get better than Senderos.

Turner from Hull, Wes Brown, Distin, Cahill, Hangeland, Dunne, Richards, Onuha, Lucas Neill, Carvalho? (would be awesome if we could), Ryan Nelson

All of these stand out in the mind for being solid, not senderos, go on any Arsenal forum and you will see what they think of him. We can get better than Senderos.

I would take all those in bold before I'd consider Senderos. At least in the likes of Brown, Neill and Richards they can all fill in at right back as well. We should remember that if Lescott leaves we have also lost a versatile player who can play at left back.

Senderos is a big no from me, just the other day I was stating how poor he is. He is far too error prone, if AC Milan don't want to take up an option to buy at £6m and Arsenal don't want him, why is he good enough for us. Big mistake to buy him. For every good tackle there is a lapse of concentration. Back up for £2m maybe, to replace Joleon, no chance.

Because they both play champions league and we don't. And they have cover at cb and we don't. I'm not saying he would be my 1st choice, but he's better than some we've been linked with

Turner from Hull, Wes Brown, Distin, Cahill, Hangeland, Dunne, Richards, Onuha, Lucas Neill, Carvalho? (would be awesome if we could), Ryan Nelsen

Most of those are not alternatives though, Im not sure why people mention Wes Brown he will get more time on the pitch this season with Neville being past his best. Distin is 31 he would be a good short term player but would cost to much and looks like signing a new contract with Pompey, Hangeland would be a great player for us but not a sniff of him coming here he would cost far to much, Richards could be a possiblity but would pose a huge risk as his form in the past few seasons a rapidly declined, Dunne is not good enough to be a starting player he would be a good squad player nothing more, Onuha has just sighed a five year contract, Lucas Neill is avarage at best not good enough and Carvalho! not in a million years would he come here his wages will be huge and if he leaves Chelsea he will go to a big European team, And Ryan Nelson is 31 and avarage at best.

Im not a huge fan of Senderos at one point he looked top class at Arsenal but had great players around him, As some have pointed out he is prone to mistakes but at the right price and it would have to be quite low i'd say take a punt on him but only if he was very cheap.

I think we should go for St Ledger myself he's young has more then enough potential he would be my pick of players out of the Championship and can also cover RB well.

Another Arsenal forum quote:

Probably my main complaint and I suppose my own stubborn opinion towards him. I don't see him as a defender in this day and age, but I definitely see him as a good defender in just under a decades time. It really depends on the manager at the time and the make-up of the team exactly. No use being in a Wenger side who is trying to flourish under a Dutch-pseudo French playstyle of attacking football.

Moyes might do some good in Everton. All the best for him if he switches.

The question we need to ask ourselves is:

Will he fill Lescott's gap? No use in him 'being good in 4 years' when we have a mini crisis now. But maybe he could be worth 6 million now, and 20 million in 4 years. Who knows. But then again, we could get Neill for 6 million and we'd only get like 2 seasons out of him.....

Senderos is a good long term investment. But we have problems now. That's the issue.

Edited by Moe Joe

Issue i have with senderos is his proness to errors and whilst he would be a tempory replacement, come Jags return. It would scare the shit outta me that Senderos and Joey (who is prone to a few mistakes himself) would be like letting floodgates open at either end. If Moyes could iron the mistakes out, you have a very very good player (evident early Arse years and national team performances) and someone who potentially could get better? Carvallho would be agood shout but no way in hell would it happen. He's a title winning team player!

So if Senderos is a no, then what are our alternatives?

Didn't Moyes say that he eventually sees Rodwell at CB? I would think that Moyes would put Rodwell in, and probably get a young lower division CB as a back-up. I think Rodwell is going to be one of the best players in the prem in a couple of years, so I would put faith in him... other-wise i would try and get Richards as part of the deal (would have said Onouha but hes just signed a new deal)

If I was moyes now, I would sign Senderos, and try to get Richards and 15 million for Lescott. ( final offer to them ) We would have a solid defense still and an extra 15 million to get us a Defour/Veloso type player.

---------------HOWARD------------

RICHARDS-SENDEROS-JAGIELKA-BAINES

---------VELOSO-----ARTETA-------

-----FELLAINI--CAHILL----PIENAAR-

---------------YAKUBU------------

Looking alot better.

maybe sign the two as we need them...for me cahill is better of the two.

are you for real? what has gary cahill ever done in his career, I cant remember Bolton keeping many cleensheets last season, we need a quick defender, I would definatly go in for Senderos if we have the money but what do people see in cahill ive never seen him show anything of quality.

If I was moyes now, I would sign Senderos, and try to get Richards and 15 million for Lescott. ( final offer to them ) We would have a solid defense still and an extra 15 million to get us a Defour/Veloso type player.

---------------HOWARD------------

RICHARDS-SENDEROS-JAGIELKA-BAINES

---------VELOSO-----ARTETA-------

-----FELLAINI--CAHILL----PIENAAR-

---------------YAKUBU------------

Looking alot better.

I said it once before, there is 0 chance of you getting Richards. Just like there was with Onuoha.

I said it once before, there is 0 chance of you getting Richards. Just like there was with Onuoha.

To be honest i dont know why people would want him here in the first place he is turning into a waste of space, Over the last two seasons he seems to have lost his way in a very unstable and inconsistant City team. I would have had him a few seasons ago but not now we could de better with what it would cost to bring him here.

To be honest i dont know why people would want him here in the first place he is turning into a waste of space, Over the last two seasons he seems to have lost his way in a very unstable and inconsistant City team. I would have had him a few seasons ago but not now we could de better with what it would cost to bring him here.

It is true he has lost his way but for a defender that is so young he has massive amounts of experience and has enormous amounts of potential. He has years to go before he reaches his prime yet. Similar to Onuoha except that Onuoha had a good season last season as opposed to Richards. It was a bit of a set back for Richards but he still has a long way to go yet and if he does ever reach his full potential he will be immense. It's a big IF though as like you said, he seems to have lost his way a bit.

Edited by cityfan