IGNORED

What Would We Need To Break Into The Top 4?

With nothing but boring office work to do I've instead been thinking about what would be needed for Everton to break into the top 4, regardless of which teams comprise this 4. Apart from, as we are entirely dependant on at this time and have been in the near past, either of the teams above us and some key competitors having bad seasons whether due to repeated injuries or poor form what do we need to do to push on for a top 4 placing?

Transfer budget:

For one, the transfer budget (which we at this time hardly seem to have any) will probably have to be increased. We are not talking massive sums if we are meant to do this long term. The speculation about what would happen if Moyes for each season ending was given 15-20 mil to shop for (even if we throw in a wage budget here) I think in 2-3 years we would have a team comprised of 1 or 2 star quality players and 3-4 additional squad players that could continually push for a top 4 placing.

The main thing here is to keep on having the same sense of togetherness that at this time is our main tool of success. If it means not signing big poster names in order to keep our team spirit I'm all for letting Moyes sign nothing but Championship players. As long as they're able to produce and perform like most of the ones brought in have we're made.

Squad:

The squad is, and have been for some time now, to small. This of course ties in with the lack of funds and to me it's something that again and again amazes me how Moyes and the players have season after season chased and gotten good results against sides that have thrown around bucketfuls of money. Even last year with injuries to several key players we managed fifth. I don't think most of us realizes how much of an accomplishment that was. Throw in an unbelievable cup run and I still can't quite understand how they made it happen.

Formation:

I still ask myself if the formation we use is an effective one if we are to grow and push on. With the players and the team we've had it's been the perfect way of playing. The togetherness of the squad means we've been tight in defense and rarely give away space on our own half and played a fast passing game on the counter attack. I think this is definetely the best football I've ever seen an Everton side play.

If we are to compete with the bigger teams though, I still think we need to have more options in attack..

As far as I am aware, Moysie is given a budget that allows him to spend £10-15M on a single player every summer. This is shown by using signing Johnson - £8M in 2006, the Yak - £11M in 2007 and Fellaini - £15M in 2008. This trend suggests that this budget is increasing every summer although of course not all the Fellaini money will be paid up-front. By adding a quality player worth that sort of money every year for 4 seasons in a row should be enough to build a core squad (not including injuries) which could challenge. Therefore on this logic, a big-signing this summer could be enough to force us in there. However this does not take into account other teams' spending so therefore I would suggest that the only way to get into the top four is if Man Shitty, Spuds and Villa struggle and one of ARSEnal or the kopites have a bad run.

Honestly the only thing I think we need (besides depth across the board) is a RB who isn't a liability and a classy winger.

For our sakes, lets just say we got Miguel and someone like a Ricardo Quaresma (I still rate him although he's had a bad run since the Inter move. To me, this is actually a top 4 lineup.

--------------Howard---------------

Miguel----Jags----Lescott----Baines

-------------Neville---------------

Quaresma------Arteta--------Pienaar

--------------Cahill---------------

--------------Yakubu---------------

Bench

Nash (needs upgrade)

Yobo

Osman (needs upgrade)

Fellaini

Saha

Jo

Rest of Squad

Hibbert

Rodwell

Gosling

Vaughan

Anichebe

Probably forgetting someone..but oh well.

The bench isn't deep still, but that starting 11 could compete with the best.

Honestly the only thing I think we need (besides depth across the board) is a RB who isn't a liability and a classy winger.

For our sakes, lets just say we got Miguel and someone like a Ricardo Quaresma (I still rate him although he's had a bad run since the Inter move. To me, this is actually a top 4 lineup.

--------------Howard---------------

Miguel----Jags----Lescott----Baines

-------------Neville---------------

Quaresma------Arteta--------Pienaar

--------------Cahill---------------

--------------Yakubu--------------

As much as i quite like him, i think we can safely say that one won't be coming off! :)

Heh I said besides every other competing team running short on luck, long injury list or whatever..

If we could up the standard on 2-3 positions and have adequate cover for every other position, say at least two players for each position that could both put in a shift without weakening the team I'd be seriously happy. My point is that it shouldn't have to take that much (City) money for Moyes to turn this into a team that can continually push for 4th place, regardless of how other teams do.

I'd say with a healthy Yak we have the cover needed in Saha, Jo and Vaughan/Anichebe. We've seen that Cahill can step up too if necessary.

We'd need decent cover for Pie-man on the left, a squad player. Arteta needs to be healthy, but we need another creative midfielder. Osman works as cover for the central parts. Cahill and Fellaini would pretty much fill the same role, Fella needs some grooming. We need a class right winger who can cross the ball. And maybe a versatile winger who can play both sides as a squad player.

Neville needs cover for the defensive mid, I don't think Rodwell looks the part just yet, even if he will be world class in a couple of years.

Baines is perfect for left back, needs a little work on his positioning/toughness though. If we keep Lescott he can act as cover here. Our current CBs are definetely top premiership class, at least around 4th in the league. Might need a young player who can step in when needed here. Senderos would fill this void. Rightback needs to be improved, I love Hibbert and have done so for as long as I've seen him play but we need someone who can do the defensive work and go forward with a decent cross. If the RB is class we wouldn't need a world class RW as it would ease the strain.

So my shopping list would be something like:

LW cover - I'd like to see someone like Joe Ledley who could fill in central if needed. A bit expensive though. (5-8 mil)

Creative midfield - I honestly felt this could be Rasmus Elm's role if he could grow into it. Reports now say they want more than 6 mil though so I don't know any more.. (5-10 mil)

RW 1st team/Key - My dream move would be someone like Sessegnon, but doesn't seem very likely does it? If we get a class international fullback for the right side we wouldn't need anyone near his quality though. (5-20 mil, depending on RB)

DM Cover - I honestly don't know about this one. Christian Poulsen always seemed a bit unhinged and is not a favourite of mine. I guess Blaise Matuidi but I've never seen him play. (5-8 mil)

CB - Senderos is a good pick while Jags is out. (At most 5 mil)

RB/Full back - Someone like Miguel at the prices mentioned would be a steal. If we went all out here though, we wouldn't need an expensive RW. (5-20 mil)

Shopping total: Minimum prizes listed 30 mil, maximum prizes listed 71 mil. So somewhere in between is my guess. Over 2-3 seasons that don't sound like much, though with City, Real and others drumming up the prizes we'd probably end up at something like 80 mil to get the players we want and that would be good for the team. So worst case scenario (well in my own calculations where everything flows as it should :D ) we'd need something like 27 mil per season for 3 years before my plans were complete) Might have a problem if Neville decides to end his career before 2012 though.. <_<

Man u and Liverpool are both weaker teams then they were last year, however we will catch neither of them.

Arsenal have sold 2 players that both go to the african cup, so that won't upset there team mid-season, an will have a fully fit Eduardo back, an Arshvin all settled in, we won't catch them.

Chelsea are getting older but still have a very good team, if there manager doesn't settle well then they might sturggle a bit, however there still beyound us.

Currently we need to buy a WORLD CLASS MIDFIELDER an a decent RB as well as 3-4 squad players. Should we get them, we might have a chance. as people seem insistant that AV an Spurs are going to do well this season, meaning they take points off the big boys. Meaning it will take less points to catch the Big boys.

IMO, when all player are fit and back in business, we have good/strong starting 11. Of course we cant take as serious injuries than last season ans we also would need very good start of the season. We would need good right back(coleman?) and also right midfield/winger who has a good workrate and good crosses aswell. Pace and dribling skills wouldnt hurt there either. Our team is used to play 4-5-1 and we have a good team spirit, so we could have a chance IF and a big if, we will avoid those injuries on our irreplaceable players(Jags,Peanuts,Baines,Mikel,TC, those at least) . Also would like to see J-Rod jumping to bigger boots and carrying team on def mid position. Ill prefer we will start season at saturday with lineup , Howard, Baines-Lescott-Yobo-Neville, Pienaar-Fellaini-Rodwell-Cahill-Osman, Jo . Hoping really a good result and a good start for the season.

What we need to get into the top four? Patience. Assuming we don't get bought out by a billionaire any time soon, we don't have money to splash £25m on a player. But that's fine - we're going in the right direction, and i don't believe any of this 'ceiling' rubbish. What we all assume now in football is that money buys instant improvement, instant success. That's crap. Has EVERY team that has spent upwards of £25m in transfers per season in the past five years gone on to make giant strides? No, and there are some notable howlers (Spurs, Newcastle etc.) It is just plain fact that there are only a finite number of truly exceptional footballers out there, no matter how much money you have burning your pockets, it doesn't mean you'll get one. And besides from the over-inflated transfer market, you're just as likely to find a gem in your own youth set up or plying his trade in the lower leagues somewhere.

The fact is that a lot of teams are now prepared to waste stupid sums on slightly better than average players, and a lot of managers (or their interfering chairmen) don't have the nouse to realise that it is a TEAM game, not about collecting star players like a bloody sticker album! Our manager (and chairman) understand that about football, and are therefore surely but slowly building a very, very good side.

What we need to get into the top four? Patience. Assuming we don't get bought out by a billionaire any time soon, we don't have money to splash £25m on a player. But that's fine - we're going in the right direction, and i don't believe any of this 'ceiling' rubbish. What we all assume now in football is that money buys instant improvement, instant success. That's crap. Has EVERY team that has spent upwards of £25m in transfers per season in the past five years gone on to make giant strides? No, and there are some notable howlers (Spurs, Newcastle etc.) It is just plain fact that there are only a finite number of truly exceptional footballers out there, no matter how much money you have burning your pockets, it doesn't mean you'll get one. And besides from the over-inflated transfer market, you're just as likely to find a gem in your own youth set up or plying his trade in the lower leagues somewhere.

The fact is that a lot of teams are now prepared to waste stupid sums on slightly better than average players, and a lot of managers (or their interfering chairmen) don't have the nouse to realise that it is a TEAM game, not about collecting star players like a bloody sticker album! Our manager (and chairman) understand that about football, and are therefore surely but slowly building a very, very good side.

Well said..... a bit of sense from someone for a change.....

you're right...sort of. you can't honestly believe that we can break the top 4 with as skint of a budget as we have. yeah, we don't need to drop $25 mil on a player (i can't think of any I'd have on our squad who cost that much) but you have to be able to buy someone...anything. and as this and previous windows have shown, we're absolutely broke.

I've said it before, but again...what we need to be fighting for CL year in and out is 25-30mil a summer and moyes to stick around. If we had that money, i'd argue it a sure thing we're in CL the next year. Otherwise, it'll take an incredible amount of luck and brilliant form to get close.

you're right...sort of. you can't honestly believe that we can break the top 4 with as skint of a budget as we have. yeah, we don't need to drop $25 mil on a player (i can't think of any I'd have on our squad who cost that much) but you have to be able to buy someone...anything. and as this and previous windows have shown, we're absolutely broke.

I've said it before, but again...what we need to be fighting for CL year in and out is 25-30mil a summer and moyes to stick around. If we had that money, i'd argue it a sure thing we're in CL the next year. Otherwise, it'll take an incredible amount of luck and brilliant form to get close.

:lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol:

25-30m goes a long way these days.

for our sakes, lets just say we got Miguel and someone like a Ricardo Quaresma (I still rate him although he's had a bad run since the Inter move. To me, this is actually a top 4 lineup.

would Neville get in any team in the top 6? No, he gets outclassed in midfield by poor opponents, we will never become a top four club whilst he is in midfield. I would put my life on that.

I believe it because we've done it before - and yeah a lot of teams in the Prem have taken a step up since then, but so have we, we qualified for the CL with Bent, Kilbane and Watson in the side (and lost our best player in January), would any of them get anywhere near our first 11 now?

No one can argue that we are fifth best team in the Premier League right now, the league table doesn't lie, and in my book that makes us the most likely side to break the top four. Arsenal aren't the team they were and their form on the road could give us a sniff, like Liverpool's did in 04/05. The biggest threat from elsewhere will be Villa - Spurs haven't got a defence and City will probably get off to a flier and then fade when Hughes starts to realise he hasn't had time to work out a plan 'B' for when things go wrong

I believe it because we've done it before - and yeah a lot of teams in the Prem have taken a step up since then, but so have we, we qualified for the CL with Bent, Kilbane and Watson in the side (and lost our best player in January), would any of them get anywhere near our first 11 now?

No one can argue that we are fifth best team in the Premier League right now, the league table doesn't lie, and in my book that makes us the most likely side to break the top four. Arsenal aren't the team they were and their form on the road could give us a sniff, like Liverpool's did in 04/05. The biggest threat from elsewhere will be Villa - Spurs haven't got a defence and City will probably get off to a flier and then fade when Hughes starts to realise he hasn't had time to work out a plan 'B' for when things go wrong

not to mention, when his 5 strikers start to moan cos there not in the team.