IGNORED

Europa League - Draw

Hearts

PAOK

BATE Borisov

Sigma Olomouc

FK Aktobe

Today Everton will find out their opposition to face in the qualifiers for the Europa league, so which team would people want to have? The easiest team on paper isnt ness the easiest outcome (when considering other factors like heat, travel etc)

Personaly i'd try to avoid BATE and PAOK.

I'd like Sigma Olomouc or Aktobe, then Hearts at a push.

Sigma Olomouc finished 4th in the czech league but havent won anything to date.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you take a look at the performance of the scottish teams already in the competition, I think hearts could be a good draw....I am also tempted to go for PAOK as the greeks tend to be more predictable (also remember Larissa) unlike the eastern europeans (Metalist Kharkiv)...however, Im gonna go with Sigma

I don't really care who we get tbh, we should be able to beat any of them.

True enough, but I am uncharacterisically hoping we get knocked out!

Like Duncanmckenzieismagic says, I seriously don't think that our squad as it is will be able to compete properly in too many competitions. :mellow:

I'm sure Sigma have just beaten Aberdeen 8-1 on aggregate. Although Aberdeen are not great, Sigma can't be that bad to post that sort fo score against them.

Would probably like to avoid PAOK.

Indeed they did so im changing my decision...I will instead go for PAOK (who scraped through vs Valerenga) and look forward to another wonder goal of team one-touch football as per the Larissa match....also we want to be away in the 1st leg....

Home or Away for the first leg folks????

I defy anyone "wanting us to go out" to be cheering the opposition at any stage during the tie, let alone extra time or pens if it came to that. You just won't be able to do it :) .

I'd like Toulouse.....because it's the only game where I could get a ticket for the away leg (although I'd be in with the French, so I'd have to keep my mouth shut :unsure: ).

I'm half hoping we go out but I hate losing!

I would like us to be in europa cup as long as poss, but also think we can win the league cup so Im torn....If I was forced into a decision, I would prefer to see us in europe...it would really p**s me off to see villa and fulham playing in europe come november....the league cup goes relatively unoticed until the semis....

Me too, but I want us to stay as competitive as possible in the prem, and if that means sacrificing cup runs then so be it.

I agree, not a big enough team, it's either a decent run in Europe or a decent one in the league

So now i feel like we're moving backwards compared to two seasons ago :/

The optimism I had 3 weeks ago for next season has almost dissapeared completly.

And another thing....the squad was no bigger in 07/08 and the players thrived on two games a week!

During the group stage we were unbeaten domestically....took seventeen points out of twenty-one in the league and knocked Luton and Wet Spam out of the Carling Cup :) .

I don't agree with some people on here who say that they want us to go out early, I really missed the extra European games last year. Also, we need to be getting good runs in Europe if we have any chance of attracting 'name' players. What's the point of struggling to qualify and then going out at the first opportunity? No thanks, I don't subscribe to that. I know we don't have a big squad, but still.

I'd think I'd like to say Hearts, simply because they'd be less of an unknown quantity. I'm sure we know more about Hearts, what they do, and who their key players are than any of the 'foreign' teams. However, as long as we go through then I'll be happy.

Our ambition last season (and every season) is to get as high as poss in the prem and hope we achieve Euro footy in the process. I hope we get to the final stages, i also hope we get to wembley for both Cup finals, and i hope we can push on for 4th in the league. I know its a massive ask if we dont bring extra bodies in, but there is no point in entering these comps if we dont want to be in them.

I will be screaming for them to go through in every game they play this season. COYB.

i agree with the wallwriter and bill etc, thats the positive attitude we need. Why try sp hard to get to this comp last year, for everyone to say ok id prefer if we went out. As someone said the squad wernt much bigger in 07, so lets do it again, and again, lets prove our critics wrong :)

Btw efcfanatic, that girl you have in your picture is ratehr nice haha ;)

i agree with the wallwriter and bill etc, thats the positive attitude we need. Why try sp hard to get to this comp last year, for everyone to say ok id prefer if we went out. As someone said the squad wernt much bigger in 07, so lets do it again, and again, lets prove our critics wrong :)

Not bad i she? Sophie Howard. Wowza

Holy shite....Villarreal are unseeded :o ! Prayer mats out :unsure: .

So are (according to UEFA) Galatasaray, Brugge, PSV, Lazio, Zenit, Villa, Valencia and Benfica!

Hearts are seeded :mellow: . How do they work that out? Mistakes surely?

http://www.uefa.com/live/competitions/uefacup/draw/2010.po/draw_basic.html

Its changed now again. This has got their coefficient http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedel2009.html

Wallwriter, Bill, Mike..........

I can see (and even agree to some extent) with what you are collectively saying.

It's not that I don't want to see EFC win everything, quite the opposite!

It's just that I honestly believe that any extended runs in cup competitions, and in particular the new look Europa League, will have a detrimental effect on our league position at the end of the season.

We managed to hang on towards the end of last season as the injury toll rose, and in general the way we played suffered. We have not strengthened the squad in terms of ability or numbers and unless the injury gods decide to smile on this year are likely to at least start the season playing some somewhat unattractive football, and at the same time put more pressure on an aleady small squad if we have to play the extra games.

I'm not normally this pessimistic before the season starts (at least not in recent years!) but I can honestly see a dip in our fortunes this year

I would like us to be in europa cup as long as poss, but also think we can win the league cup so Im torn....If I was forced into a decision, I would prefer to see us in europe...it would really p**s me off to see villa and fulham playing in europe come november....the league cup goes relatively unoticed until the semis....

I couldnt give a toss about the league cup I want us to go out in the first hurdle of that as well.

It is going to be difficult enough to cope in the league and FA Cup with our squad

Because when we spent all that time and effort last season qualifiying I was under the missaprehension that we would kick on and sign some decent players not reduce the size of the squad even further

I would love us to do well in all competitions but we simply havent got the squad to do it