IGNORED

Sylvain Distin

blueblood

The beeb are linking us with a move for Distin.

Also says Villa have agreed £5m fee for Collins from West Ham so maybe we stand a decent run at this fella. Think he'll want big wages though so could be an issue.

If we got Taylor, Distin, Banega and Bystrov I'd be really rather pleased. My only grumble then would be why we never did this 4 weeks ago laugh.gif

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/src/webroot/ldp2/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2009/08/25/everton-eyeing-sylvain-distin-following-diniyar-bilyaletdinov-signing-100252-24522100/

Daily Post also saying we are about to sign him for £5M and seem to think he will be in before the weekend.

I think he is much better thean some of the CBs we are being linked with just not so sure about paying £5M for someone his age.

I think of all the defenders we are being linked with my prefered pecking order would be

1. Taylor

2. Distin

3. Shawcross

4. Cahill

5. Wheater

6. Senderos

7. Samba

8. Craig Short

9. Glen Keeley

10. Huth

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/src/webroot/ldp2/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2009/08/25/everton-eyeing-sylvain-distin-following-diniyar-bilyaletdinov-signing-100252-24522100/

Daily Post also saying we are about to sign him for £5M and seem to think he will be in before the weekend.

I think he is much better thean some of the CBs we are being linked with just not so sure about paying £5M for someone his age.

I think of all the defenders we are being linked with my prefered pecking order would be

1. Taylor

2. Distin

3. Shawcross

4. Cahill

5. Wheater

6. Senderos

7. Samba

8. Craig Short

9. Glen Keeley

10. Huth

Craig Short before Robert Huth...Not Ex Everton & Derby @Craig Short???...Is he still playing???

"Portsmouth rate Distin at £6m but Everton are understood to be reluctant to go above £5m."

The familiarity of this comment made me chuckle (Although I agree with the club on this)

Getting into a bidding war for someone who is coming to the end of their career would be big mistake.

Too true....

Fully agree. I dont rate Distin so Villa are welcome to him.

Maybe we are being really clever and pretending to be after Distin so Villa gazump us which we knew they would because as soon as we show an interest in someone they show up. In the meantime we are actually going after Taylor/Shawcross/Huth instead.

Doubt it tho, we don't seem smart enough to do that.

Its as if all are close rivals know are weakness and will do everything in their power to stop us strengthening :lol:

I dont rate Distin, Villa are welcome to him... to old to be paying 4-5m

I agree completely, we would'nt offer any more than 4 million for Senderos, theres no way i would pay for this fella, on a free yes but for millions :blink: definately no.

I think most people are being unrealistic in thier valuation here. Under normal circumstances £2M to £3M is probably about right but in a inflated market 7 days before the end of the window and so many clubs searching for a CB I think its a sellers market and if we dont pay the going rate we run the risk of playing the first half of the season with Yobo as our only centre half

I just cant see Davey going against his policy, the guy is 32 so there would be no money regained on a sell on. Davey wants younger players and i agree with him, Senderos, Huth, Taylor, Upson, Wheater, and Shawcross, are all worth spending a few millions on theres plenty of them about, but surely not a 32 year old Distin.

I just cant see Davey going against his policy, the guy is 32 so there would be no money regained on a sell on. Davey wants younger players and i agree with him, Senderos, Huth, Taylor, Upson, Wheater, and Shawcross, are all worth spending a few millions on theres plenty of them about, but surely not a 32 year old Distin.

Good point by Bill, doesn't fit with the Moyes policy overall.

Personally, I do think he is a decent CB, assured, strong and has some level of leadership ability. £3m does sound like a maximum figure given his age. Get the feeling he's a decent professional though.

Distin is out of the pompy team tonight so it suggests he's definately going.

A lot of people don't rate him on here and a lot are saying he's too old but lets remember this chap will cover the 2 positions lescott has left us short in and he can go straight in at this level. Okay £5m seems steep but we've got one hell of a deal for lescott and we are desperate for centre back cover at the momment. Yes he's 32 but that's still 2/3 seasons - in this time we'll hopefully have rodwell and duffy coming through at centre back. To me distin is a prefered option over huth, senderos and wheater anyway.

Ideally for me I'd like the 'big' centre back signing in hangeland/upson along with a young versatile defender (maybe from lower league or abroad) or an experienced freebie (ball). Alternatively I believe we could get distin and taylor for what our 1 'big' defensive signing would cost. Between them these could cover all 4 defensive positions.

Edit: missed words!

Edited by c1982

Distin is out of the pompy team tonight so it suggests he's definately going.

A lot of people don't rate him on here and a lot are saying he's too old but lets remember this chap will cover the 2 positions lescott has left us short in and he can go straight in at this level. Okay £5m seems steep but we've got one hell of a deal for lescott and we are desperate for centre back cover at the momment. Yes he's 32 but that's still 2/3 seasons - in this time we'll hopefully have rodwell and duffy coming through at centre back. To me distin is a prefered option over huth, senderos and wheater anyway.

Ideally for me I'd like the 'big' centre back signing in hangeland/upson along with a young versatile defender (maybe from lower league or abroad) or an experienced freebie (ball). Alternatively I believe we could get distin and taylor for what our 1 'big' defensive signing would cost. Between them these could cover all 4 defensive positions.

Edit: missed words!

Fully agree with you mate, He is in the last two to three years of his career but for me he's as solid at the back as most in this league and has been for the last four to five years and still had plenty in the tank, Very strong and no nosense and has a great amount of experiance at this level.

He's 31 btw :D

1. Taylor

2. Distin

3. Shawcross

4. Cahill

5. Wheater

6. Senderos

7. Samba

8. Craig Short

9. Glen Keeley

10. Huth

My main target would be Michael Turner (Hull), if not, then Titus Bramble was awesome for wigan last year, only the Toon that seems to have an uncanny knack of destroying players profiles.

I would have either of these 2, depending on the price