Sign in to follow this  
blueblood

Sylvain Distin

Villa have had bids for warnock and dunne accepted and pompy are in talks to sign a centre back from watford - williamson I think. This deal is looking like it'll be done in time for him to line-up alongside yobo on sunday.

Completly agree. Looks odd's on now. It's all gone a little crazy transfer wise today. Stoke agree fees for Huth and Tuncay, Pompey sign Smith and agree fee for Brown and Williamson, Blackburn get Chimbonda, Villa agree fees for Warnock and Dunne. All happening very qucik at the moment.

Valente retired I think and Jacobsen wanted a 2 year deal but Moyes wasn't convinced enough to offer him anything but another year.

i liked Jacobson and since we already had him made sense to me to keep him. he made a difference in the cup final. feel sorry for him to be honest, finally signed for a team (bburn) thinking hes probably 1st choice then they go and sign salgado. isnt Chimbonda a RB too?

"Everton have agreed a deal to sign defender Sylvain Distin from Portsmouth for an undisclosed fee.

The 31-year-old Frenchman will put pen to paper on a three-year-deal subject to passing a medical, which will take place at Finch Farm on Thursday evening.

Chief Executive Robert Elstone confirmed: "All the formalities have been completed. After Sylvain made it clear his preferred destination was Goodison, the Chairman moved quickly to finalise the deal and Sylvain is now on his way to Merseyside to undergo a medical."

David Moyes moved for the experienced former Paris St Germain, Newcastle United and Manchester City player after agreeing to sell England international Joleon Lescott earlier this week.

The Blues boss is also without long-term injury absentee Phil Jagielka until October at the earliest and has been forced to play midfield regular Phil Neville at centre-back in Everton's last two games.

Distin will become Moyes' third major capture of the current transfer window, following on-loan striker Jo and Russian international midfielder Diniyar Bilyaletdinov into Goodison Park. Subject to passing the medical, Distin could begin his Everton career on Sunday when Wigan Athletic are the visitors to Goodison.

An FA Cup winner with Pompey in 2008, Distin, who was the subject of a reported move to Aston Villa, can play left back as well as his preferred central-defensive position."

Well I'm gutted that we're wasting that sort of money on him.

Plus, I still can't get a new player on the back of my shirt because I don't rate him lol.

I feel the same on both points. I'm most tempted to get Rodwell on the back now.

Very disapointed with Distin though, after being linked with Taylor i really didn't want to go for some old hasbeen like Distin. We could have got someone like Turner fro Hull for a similar fee.

But beggers ca't be choosers I guess and a centre back is a centre back. We are desperate for numbers at the back so at least this is something, still not the signing i would have prayed for.

If Lescott had leftr at the beginning of the summer would we be looking at signing Distin I dont think so but we do need cover and would rather have him than no one

I do wonder if Moyes has already had some players looked at whilst the whole Lescott drama was going on any way. I mean, just look at how swiftly we completed the deal for Bily so maybe he already has cover for both positions lined up?

I know, I am naive but signing Bily has me all excitable :lol:

Actually i too got super excited when we signed Bily!

Distin sounds like an experienced player, but whats up with Villa biding last minute?!

Are we getting anywhere at signing Rasmus Elm?

He's a good player with experience and there's no reason why we couldn't get 3-4 seasons out of him.

Richard Gough was 87 when he retired. :)

We don't know how much we paid. I don't think it would be as much as £5m.

Not sure why all our fee's are undisclosed?

Actually i too got super excited when we signed Bily!

Distin sounds like an experienced player, but whats up with Villa biding last minute?!

Are we getting anywhere at signing Rasmus Elm?

villa have are in talks with richard dunne, distin has agreed to sign for us.

elm is on his way to az alkmaar mate.

Well I'm gutted that we're wasting that sort of money on him.Plus, I still can't get a new player on the back of my shirt because I don't rate him lol.

You keep banging on about him being a waste of money yet you havent come up with an alternative or did you want us to try and last until January with only Leighton Baines as cover for LB?

You keep banging on about him being a waste of money yet you havent come up with an alternative or did you want us to try and last until January with only Leighton Baines as cover for LB?

Turner will likely cost SUnderland the same figure. I'd prefer him. But am at least greatful we have someone.

I am content to have Distin come here. We do need some defensive players. And now that Hibbert has been red carded, it makes recruitment even more important.

Im quite pleased about him coming to be honest he's a very solid defender the only downside to him is his age coupled with the fee but at this stage of the season and with todays market being crazy its not to bad plus he has a good few years ahead of him and hasn't slowed down in the last few seasons, He will cover two positions and for me is as solid a defender as Lescott.

couldnt have put it better chacargo! i have no doubt that moyes is looking for a younger CB to eventually replace distan, but he is a very good solid defender who hads much needed height to the back. He is quick, mobile and very fit.

im hoping we now go for a right back, a younger cb and a right winger, and this is possibly the strongest everton squad in generation!

Guest blueboy122

5.5 million for a 31 year old defender?? portsmouth saw us coming didnt they!!!

We do still need another CB, but now we can look to get one of those with potential with Distin a competent player until we figure out a longer term solution.

i think the long term solution will be rodwell

Well I'm gutted that we're wasting that sort of money on him.

Plus, I still can't get a new player on the back of my shirt because I don't rate him lol.

hes the footballing type centre back you was asking for give him a chance you will get to like him hes quality...he will probably be alongside jags when fit.

Distin is an experienced PL player so can go straight into the team and he can cover LB should baines get an injury. Price was a bit high but decent signing IMO.

The only thing that bothers me is the combination of his age and the fee but then, beggars can't be choosers and Everton *are* beggars as we all well know.

For the issue of his lack of pace: I hope we're able to sign players who aren't defined by whether they can run quickly or not. Even in the "quick and hard Premier League" players in wide position do not need pace to survive or even play well IMO.

I would also like to agree with the sentiment that he is one of the more composed defenders in the league and that is exactly what we could do with alongside Jags or Yobo.

So yeah, overall, I'm quite happy with him. And like every single player wearing our shirt I will be supporting him and looking for him to prove his worth.

I think this is a master stroke. First because our defence looks leaderless, and Distin will bring hopefully experience and presence. While I have seen him also get ripped to pieces and fall over more very frequently, he is very higher thought of in the game.

Master stroke? I dunno, but a good move possibly :P

I think when he has fallen to pieces, as it were, I have often thought that if he was surrounded by better players then it wouldn't happen so much if at all. I just kind of think that he will likely fit in very, very well with not only the squad but the first team.

He'll do for me. Agreed, £5.5m is steep, but at 31 he's hardly on deaths doorstep is he. Will add solidity to the back line, and composure alongside Yobo. I honestly don't think he's that slow either.

Good experienced defender IMO. 5.5 is a bit too high for my liking but at this stage in the transfer window its to be expected.

Distin still in the French squad, or have I been daydreaming too much today?

I can take this one or leave it, He;s a half decent centre half and we need one desperately, we only have Yobo.

What puzzles me about this tho is why all of a sudden Moyes has gone against his policy, replacing aging players with younger ones and bringing the average age down.

Dont forget we only offered Carsley a one year deal because he was over 30, so he chose to leave. Now here we are giving 31 years old Distan a 3 year contract with the option of another year, and paying over 5 million for him.

Huth, Taylor, Senderos, Wheater, and Shawcross, All younger and have all been linked, so it puzzles me why we went with Distin. ???

I can take this one or leave it, He;s a half decent centre half and we need one desperately, we only have Yobo.

What puzzles me about this tho is why all of a sudden Moyes has gone against his policy, replacing aging players with younger ones and bringing the average age down.

Dont forget we only offered Carsley a one year deal because he was over 30, so he chose to leave. Now here we are giving 31 years old Distan a 3 year contract with the option of another year, and paying over 5 million for him.

Huth, Taylor, Senderos, Wheater, and Shawcross, All younger and have all been linked, so it puzzles me why we went with Distin. ???

I suspect if the rumours where true that we looked into any of the above that maybe their clubs wanted more then what Moyes was/is willing to spend if we have targets set out we may have limited/split funds for each area he's looking into or we could still be looking into landing another defender i still have a feeling Taylor might come for some reason, I would rather have Distin then Huth Wheater and Senderos myself anyway.

maybe he realises he made a mistake with carsley and doesnt want to make the same mistake again...plus we need distin more at this moment...and he probably thought he could replace carsley.

Yar, I reckon Distin is a better player right now than those other so-called targets. Youth and potential is wonderful but we do already have plenty of that so I can see where Moyes might be changing his mind with this kind of signing. His experience could be vital and, quite frankly, something which that back line has been missing since the likes of Weir left.

I dont understand why you cant grasp the situation that the club is in

There are only 4 days left in the transfer window and we only have one LB and one fit CB at the club and Distin is an established Premiership player who can cover both those positions

As well as being more expensive none of the younger players you have mentioned can fill that criteria, and we may yet stll sign one of those anyway

It is a completely different senario to that of Lee Carsley, who by the way did not leave Everton because he was only offered a one year contract. He asked to leave because he wanted to return to the Birmingham area(where he is from) so that he could look after his handicapped son as he does a lot of charity work for the illness that he has got.

So Everton released him as a good will gesture

Duncan if you look at the first line of my post, you will see that i am ok with Distan, because we needed one desperately. It was just the change in Daveys policy that had me puzzled.

I think you will find that we only offered Carsley a one year extention, he wanted two years, he might well have chosen Birmingham because of his family background but that does'nt alter the fact we only offer one year extentions to players over 30. Distan 31 and a 3year contract. ??

His contract with Everton was due to expire at the end of 2007–08 season; he chose not to accept the offered extension, and signed for home-town club Birmingham City in May 2008.[7] With club captain Damien Johnson expected to be out of action for several months following a back operation, Carsley started the 2008–09 season as captain.[8] At the Birmingham City end of season awards he won the Player's player of the season award, and the Junior Blues Player of the season award. (Wiki)

Oh how we missed him, and still not replaced

Bill, we have missed Carsley, I agree. But we have still achieved relative success without him here. I think, though, that this could be the year when we need someone exactly in his mould, since it could be the year of Arteta playing centrally . . . yes, I am the champion of that particular cause :P

Louis, I take it you give no hope to the possibility of Distin having an 'Indian Summer' then? :P

Good point made by Churinga. Signing two captain's must have some benefits for a team which lacks a strong presence of leadership surely?

30 minutes to confirm the signing to ensure his eligbility for the weekend. I believe that it needs to be done by noon. I may be wrong though. No matter what people feel about it him, and i'm an underwhelmed one hoping to be proven wrong, we NEED him for the weekend unless we want another loss.

at the end of the day, he is a CB and cover LB too. he is 31, but so what? David Weir is still playing at 40! He has a lot of experience in the EPL, allbeit for lesser clubs, but he wasnt part of a relegated club (though they came close) like huth/wheater/taylor. i think 5mill for a CB/LB cover is a bargin, and he can do well for us for the next few years. also dont forget, he is competition for Yobo (who needs pushin in my opinion) and only a guarenteed started until Jags is back. dont write him off folks, i think this is an excellent bit of business from the boss, again!

Duncan if you look at the first line of my post, you will see that i am ok with Distan, because we needed one desperately. It was just the change in Daveys policy that had me puzzled.

I think you will find that we only offered Carsley a one year extention, he wanted two years, he might well have chosen Birmingham because of his family background but that does'nt alter the fact we only offer one year extentions to players over 30. Distan 31 and a 3year contract. ??

His contract with Everton was due to expire at the end of 2007–08 season; he chose not to accept the offered extension, and signed for home-town club Birmingham City in May 2008.[7] With club captain Damien Johnson expected to be out of action for several months following a back operation, Carsley started the 2008–09 season as captain.[8] At the Birmingham City end of season awards he won the Player's player of the season award, and the Junior Blues Player of the season award. (Wiki)

Oh how we missed him, and still not replaced

The reason he has gone against his policy is because we are desperate, end of. There is no mystery.

With regards to Carsley trust me you are wrong.

The reason he left was for those I stated and he would have gone if we had have offered him a ten year contract regardless ok wht wikipedia say

its happened now, i wish him the best of luck. I like the fact he drove to finch farm on his own last night to complete a medical coz there were no planes available. it shows that he's keen and thats the sort of player i like, irrelevant of age. Welcome Distin and hopefully you can stop the leakage in defence :)

a good replacement. tried and tested and adds experience to our back line. also a center back who can pass more than 5 yards is a bonus.

so a left winger and a replacement center back. whos next. i want a right back

Underwhelmed with this signing, £5m for a 31 year old is bad business no matter how much Lescott was sold for.

As much as I respect your opinion Louis (and I do) I want to disagree with you on this one.

If I mention Richard Gough, David Weir and so on you will see why.

I think this may (and I say MAY) be one of the best deals around. I reckon that we will get the full three seasons he has signed for out of him and maybe more.

(Now we need a suitable Right Back to compliment him.)

The reason he has gone against his policy is because we are desperate, end of. There is no mystery.

With regards to Carsley trust me you are wrong.

The reason he left was for those I stated and he would have gone if we had have offered him a ten year contract regardless ok wht wikipedia say

I think he has most likely gone against his policy because it's a lot different being a 30+ year old defender rather than midfielder. Defenders (Weir, Watson, Gough) get better with experience and aren't so reliant on pace and the stamina that a midfielder will need. I think Distin is a very good signing, £5m seems a bit pricey but he's left footed, experienced in the premiership, has always been a decent player and will allow Rodwell etc time to grow into the role and for Jags to return. I think he'll be an excellent signing. Nice one Moyes. Our transfer business is now starting to look up, selling Lescott was always the right thing to do to strengthen the team. It's just a pity we've had another rubbish start to the season due to all the uncertainty and negativity around the club, I expect things to change fast now and our season to turn around. COYB!