IGNORED

Right Side

was givin this a thought before we know our right side is a weak link right but now with this russian lad in the likelyness of pienaar switching to the right instead of osman bein out there is almost certain right. do you think this will help hibberts game? i think so as i think pienaar is better at goin back and winning the ball than osman is. dont get me wrong id still like a new right back in but i think hibbert wont be exposed as much now...what ya reckon? discuss :)

discuss :)

Nothing personal (quite a few do it), but there's really no need to say, "discuss."

It's a forum.....that's what it's for. Discussion :) .

Apart from that you may well have a point. We'll see because It's probable that whoever we buy (assuming we do) won't go straight into the team. Baines didn't....DM will want to work with them first (although that's if Billy goes straight in for Ossie).

Pienaar has played centrally earlier in his career so I wonder if he is already equipped to deal with having Hibbert behind him. What I mean is that his defensive levels are probably good enough to help maintain his attacking levels IMO. I dearly hope Moyes has got the b*lls to put Arteta in the midfield with a holding player and give the team more of a creative edge so that players like Pienaar won't really suffer too much, if at all.

Whenever he plays for South Africa he has the number 10, 'floating role' so pretty much goes where he wants. I think he is so useful on the left and doesn't complain because he is so good using the outside of his favoured right foot as well has having a not-bad left foot. At Ajax he played centrally either in a three or up front as one of two players behind a single striker so I think he's fine going forward on either flank.

I do wonder if playing on the right side will be better for his fitness levels though, what with him playing mostly against left-footed players thus matching his preferred right foot more and so he could be able to make more nippy interceptions rather than the slog of tracking back so much on the left side of the pitch. It would be awesome to see!

lol - Mike beat me to it! heh, I reckon you are right in saying he was one of the best players at the tournament.

Edited by Calico

Nothing personal (quite a few do it), but there's really no need to say, "discuss."

It's a forum.....that's what it's for. Discussion :) .

i really dont know why i do it :lol:

i did say i wanted a right back too :D but has it become less of an issue compared to only having 1 left back? only time will tell i guess but i think hibberts had a couple of decent games especially against sigma

Pienaar and Arteta were both really effective last year at swapping sides. Oppo fullbacks were never really sure what to do depending on who was facing them.

We still need a right back if Pienaar is to be as effective on the right. Baines bombing up outside him is not really going be the same as Hibbert plodding along behind him is it...

Erm... Blackburn agree a fee in excess of £2 million for Pascal Chimbonda.

Right back (check), Cheap (check), Good going forward (check).

Why aren't we having a go at this one? Thought we were linked with him a while ago. If this goes through, then I would say Hutton is defo staying there aswell.

Hope this is in the right section.

Don't they have Corluka as their first choice and then Naughton as their back-up? I know they're short but maybe if their injured defenders recover or they get a new defender they would be willing to let him go?

As for Chimbonda, he doesn't have the best reputation for the type of attitude Moyes looks for and he fled Sunderland when it looked like they were sinking so I'm not sure.

Don't they have Corluka as their first choice and then Naughton as their back-up? I know they're short but maybe if their injured defenders recover or they get a new defender they would be willing to let him go?

As for Chimbonda, he doesn't have the best reputation for the type of attitude Moyes looks for and he fled Sunderland when it looked like they were sinking so I'm not sure.

Isn't he the one who submitted a transfer request at Wigan before they'd even left the pitch after the last game of the season? If so, no thank you.

I think that with a decent right back behind him Pienaar will be better used on the right, the only thing that annoys me with his game is that he always has to cut back onto his right foot when he plays, playing him on the right just makes sense. Plus his best game last season, for me anyway, was Sunderland away and he casued untold problems when attacking down the right-wing that day.