IGNORED

Europa League Group Draw

jcrawfor

European games in the "Luz" are always special...we are in fact a European Club...

With 2 Champions League titles, and 5 finals lost to Milan (2), PSV (penaltys), Inter, Manchester United (after extra time...and 1 Uefa Cup final lost to Anderlecht!

We love to play in the european competitions and our stadium brings in extra energy!

But against teams no so well known like Bate i doubt it´ll be full though!

Against Everton, for sure there will be a great attendandce and bright...since the biggest portuguese team meets one of the historical teams in England!

We look forward for both matches...and I hope Benfica wins, of course, but above all, a great match with an exciting atmosphere, and a good chance to make somo british friends! ;)

Good luck for Everton in the Premiership this week! ;)

I think you will find that Everton are a little bit more friendly than West Ham or Millwall. And I hope you enjoy the experience of being here. :)

As for the Premiership....... Luck would be nice, but an improvement would be wonderful. :D

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Group H

Steaua Bucarest

Fenerbahce

Twente

Sheriff Tiraspol

Would have liked to be in this group instead of Fenerbahce... But all in all, not a bad draw. One of the best groups i think. Big hopes of going through to the next round.

Actually think that Group J is even weaker :

Shakhtar

Club Brugge

Partizan

Toulouse

But Everton shouldn't have much problems advancing IF the blues are careful with BATE .. The risk of underestimating them, plus the fact that they play very hard nosed style of football might get us in trouble.

i hope people arent getting too exicted. Benfica are STILL a class team, Sporting play a good game too and against unknowns in europe i will never think its a clear passage. this group is not as easy as it seems, especially on recent displays. no way were getting Moutinho now, but saying that, maybe if we knock em out we could get him in January!

i know im being all doom and gloom today, which i assure you is not normal, but on current displays we wont deserve to qualify. But, if Moyes keeps getting in players, and the defence settle down a little, we should be comfortable...

For the diary...

Matchday 1 - Thursday 17 September 2009

AEK Athens

Home

8.05pm

Matchday 2 - Thursday 1 October 2009

Bate Borisov

Away

6pm

Matchday 3 - Thursday 22 October 2009

Benfica

Away

6pm

Matchday 4 - Thursday 5 November 2009

Benfica

Home

8.05pm

Matchday 5 - Wednesday 2 December 2009

AEK Athens

Away

6pm

Matchday 6 - Thursday 17 December 2009

Bate Borisov

Home

8.05pm

Hi i´m Benfica Supporter.

I only come here to wish good luck to Everton Fans.It will be 2 great matches in the the field and outside. Portugueses people are very gentlemente and i love english supporters. I Kwow a great number of Everton fans will come to Lisbon and it will be very good.

Benfica team this year are stronger, with good playeres, like Luisão and ramirez (brasil team), aimar, saviola and di maria (argentina) Javi garcia (spanish), cardoso (uruguai) and david luis e sidnei (young Brasil defenders).

benfica had 2 groups of supporters, diabos vermelhos from 1982 and no name boys. The first one are like italians ultras and the second one is more like the firms in England.

You will see some sporting fans telling bad thinks about Benfica because we are for sporting like milwall for west ham or i think like everton for liverpool..

(sorry my english)

Regards

Sporting results..Don't be afraid them too..

Fiorentina 1-1 Sporting

Sporting 1-2 Sp. Braga

Sporting 2-2 Fiorentina

Nacional 1-1 Sporting

Twente 1-1 Sporting

Sporting 0-0 Twente

V. Guimarães 2-2 Sporting

Sporting 1-2 Feyenoord

Sporting 0-1 Nottingham Forest

Sporting 3-0 At. Cacém

You sure talk a lot for someone that supports a club that spent over £100 million in the last 4 years and the only silverware you won was because of the "men in black"...

You also know full well why we were in this draw instead of yesterday's.

Anyways, I'm not saying we're playing well, we're not. We haven't played what we should in the 4 years Paulo Bento has been in charge, be even playing badly we always end up ahead of you... ;)

You can't be a Sporting Lisbon Fan and be a Soccer Fan...it just doesn't match !

I don't think there are any soccer fans here. Here we're all football fans.

Those will actually come in handy after the match. There will be alot of tears to wipe... Seriously you guys dont expect this will be a walk in the park?

We are clearly one of the top 5 teams in this competition. We can clearly win this thing, if you really expect to win in Lisbon, go watch the game Benfica 4 - 0 Portsmouth.

We beat the current cup holders Shaktar Donetsk by 2-0 in one of the first games of the pre-season. They had far more preparation than we did, we won 4 pre-season tournaments, including Ajax's tournament. We beat AC Milan for the Eusebio Cup.

You people need to wake up...

Anyway I hope we can enjoy great football when we meet on the pitch, and may the best win.

Top 5?? Jeez, you guys are always top of the world in the summer... ;)

You need to come to grips with reality, and remember that a season isn't defined by what you do before it starts. Besides, don't forget, there'll 8 teams coming from the CL as well, so don't be all over-optimistic. Remember, Shaktar was dropped from the CL to the UEFA or ending 3rd in our group, and we beat them on both games.

Hey there Everton fans!

We usually play with:

Quim

Maxi Pereira

Luisão

David Luiz

Shaffer

Javi Garcia

Ramires

Di Maria

Aimar

Saviola

Cardozo

Good players, but does it hurt you guys that there's only 1 Portuguese player in that 11?

I mean, back in the late 70s, early 80s, it was 1 foreigner at best, now it's this...

There's decent youngsters that should play, like Amorim, Miguel Vitor and Fabio Coentrão (this boy is gonna be one hell of a player), but what chance do they get??

European games in the "Luz" are always special...we are in fact a European Club...

With 2 Champions League titles, and 5 finals lost to Milan (2), PSV (penaltys), Inter, Manchester United (after extra time...and 1 Uefa Cup final lost to Anderlecht!

We love to play in the european competitions and our stadium brings in extra energy!

But against teams no so well known like Bate i doubt it´ll be full though!

Well, Portugal needs a benfica that's competitive in europe. Last year was a disgrace, and we'll need points, if we hope to get back to 3 CL teams and 3 Europa teams.

We always get 2 or 3 teams kicked out in the knockoff stages, why do they work so hard for qualifying to do what Setubal, Guimarães, Braga (this year), National and all the others do, to get kicked out so stupidly against extremely easy sides?

I'm actually surprised National managed to kick out Zenit from Europa, a club that has a budget higher than any club in Portugal, that won the UEFA 2 years ago, and they're out. I don't like National, especially their highly arrogant president, but credit to them, I hope they get us some points too.

Thanks for that info. I can't wait to go back over to Portugal. Loved it during Euro 2004 and i'm very excited about going back again.

Hopefully you can come back nearer to the game for a little bit of banter about the fixture

Done.

One more thing in Portugal some police are very agressive. They are 3 quinds of police:

1 - The normal police (is the same in all world);

2 - The spotters - specilized police to walk with the supportes (a lot of them are like casuals and join the groups)

3 - C.I. (like robcops) the special forces.

If you remember manchester united fans had a very bad experience some years ago in Oporto stadium.

Done.

One more thing in Portugal some police are very agressive. They are 3 quinds of police:

1 - The normal police (is the same in all world);

2 - The spotters - specilized police to walk with the supportes (a lot of them are like casuals and join the groups)

3 - C.I. (like robcops) the special forces.

If you remember manchester united fans had a very bad experience some years ago in Oporto stadium.

It's not just the police that's agressive. Given the fact that there's lots of violent history involving an (illegal) supporter group tied to benfica, you shouldn't be surprised at the way law enforcement takes them/you seriously.

Edited by Sporting4ever

LOL.

Like i had said sporting fans love talking about us.

We are not illegal.

Portugal have one law that make the groups to give them information (identity and adresse of all members) to the police. The Benfica groups don´t agree, because they are fans like the others and Benfica had their identification. So we refuse to give that information to the police. In retaliation we can´t enter in the benfica stadium with "material" of the groups and lose all the support from de Benfica President . And we had some problems because we are the only groups of the big teams in Portugal that refused to respect that law, because we don´t agree.

If you talk with other English fans that had visited our stadion they will talk if they had or not a good reception.

Edited by nnpandora

It's not just the police that's agressive. Given the fact that there's lots of violent history involving an (illegal) supporter group tied to benfica, you shouldn't be surprised at the way law enforcement takes them/you seriously.

LOL...

Hi everyone!

I am a Benfica supporter, one of those "(illegal) supporter group" mentioned above. I've followed Benfica to Spain, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Greece and never had any problems. By the way, my wife and two daughters (2 and 6 years old) are also part os that "violent history involving an (illegal) supporter group tied to benfica"...

OMG...i am a father of two young delinquents...shame on me... :)

I'm looking forward to visit u guys at Goodison Park, and feel some of that good Toffe vibe, enjoying a match between two of Europe top teams.

And of course, every Everton fan will be more than welcome at Luz, home of that infamous violent illegal supporter group! :)

BTW, any suggestion about hotels or inns near Goodison Park?

Cheers m8s

Those will actually come in handy after the match. There will be alot of tears to wipe... Seriously you guys dont expect this will be a walk in the park?

We are clearly one of the top 5 teams in this competition. We can clearly win this thing, if you really expect to win in Lisbon, go watch the game Benfica 4 - 0 Portsmouth.

We beat the current cup holders Shaktar Donetsk by 2-0 in one of the first games of the pre-season. They had far more preparation than we did, we won 4 pre-season tournaments, including Ajax's tournament. We beat AC Milan for the Eusebio Cup.

You people need to wake up...

Anyway I hope we can enjoy great football when we meet on the pitch, and may the best win.

I'm sure most Evertonians are happy with this draw. Probably it would be better to play against teams from other countries but hey, it's not like we're playing Porto or Olympiacos. We're playing benfica and AEK. oh well...that's why we play this competition and not the Champions League, i suppose...

oh dear, oh dear, why are you talking about friendlies? they don't mean anything. i just did some last year checking and I'm sure you want to do better than last year. It would be difficult, as you might agree. When the time comes, I'm sure we will be able to do well

Edited by james k

Actually think that Group J is even weaker :

Shakhtar

Club Brugge

Partizan

Toulouse

But Everton shouldn't have much problems advancing IF the blues are careful with BATE .. The risk of underestimating them, plus the fact that they play very hard nosed style of football might get us in trouble.

I would say that Partizan could be a nightmare to any team. And the supporters are really awfull. Toulouse is not a bad side either. One of the better 4th seeds..

Im happy with they group we have. Benfica are an awsome team and portugese people are excellent. Visited Lisabon a couple of years back. THere is an excellent restaurant at a castle on the top of the hill. And the night clubs in the harbour (more local places than the tourist traps) are brilliant. Lots of dancing and happy people.

AEK Athens ahh, Greece, love greece. The food alone....

LOL.

Like i had said sporting fans love talking about us.

We are not illegal.

Portugal have one law that make the groups to give them information (identity and adresse of all members) to the police. The Benfica groups don´t agree, because they are fans like the others and Benfica had their identification. So we refuse to give that information to the police. In retaliation we can´t enter in the benfica stadium with "material" of the groups and lose all the support from de Benfica President . And we had some problems because we are the only groups of the big teams in Portugal that refused to respect that law, because we don´t agree.

If you talk with other English fans that had visited our stadion they will talk if they had or not a good reception.

Do you realise that what you said in bold is a contradition?

And that bit about losing the support from the president, that's a laugh. You're just like the SD in that regard, hired muscle for the president.

LOL...

Hi everyone!

I am a Benfica supporter, one of those "(illegal) supporter group" mentioned above. I've followed Benfica to Spain, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Greece and never had any problems. By the way, my wife and two daughters (2 and 6 years old) are also part os that "violent history involving an (illegal) supporter group tied to benfica"...

OMG...i am a father of two young delinquents...shame on me... :)

I'm looking forward to visit u guys at Goodison Park, and feel some of that good Toffe vibe, enjoying a match between two of Europe top teams.

And of course, every Everton fan will be more than welcome at Luz, home of that infamous violent illegal supporter group! :)

BTW, any suggestion about hotels or inns near Goodison Park?

Cheers m8s

I thought it was home to the club, not supporter groups...

I have lots of friends from benfica, and all of them view our centenial rivalry like I do, healthy. Exchanging banters, making fun when you're down, casual dismissals when you're up, that sort of thing. I've learned a long time ago that I don't need to belong or sit with any given group to cheer and support my club.

I won't say that there aren't decent people in those groups, but the truth of the matter is, they're a breeding ground for violence, and all of you know it. Not only "no name", but juve leo and super dragões too. The level of hatred I see bred into a lot of those people is incredible, and I'll have no part in it. Football is a sport, the greatest sport and show on the planet, and the simple fact that people are capable of using that for hurting and killing one another is monstrous.

Besides, the real reason no name doesn't want to provide identification of it's members has nothing to do with football.

AEK Athens ahh, Greece, love greece. The food alone....

If there's one thing all portuguese here will most likely agree is that we're not big fans of the greeks... that '04 final is still stuck across our throats.

Edited by Sporting4ever

Happy with Benfica, I was planning to go and see a mate who's not long moved to Lisbon, 22nd october seems a good time to go as I should be able to afford it by then. Just hope I can get a ticket somehow or through the thomas cook thing and still go for 5 or 6 days of my own accord.

can't wait for the ticket and travel details so I can suss it out.

Pretty tough group definately, 2 teams that have played regulr champions league football.

I was surprised to see so many people thinking this group was a favorable draw, because to me it seemed like one of the more difficult ones - one of the "big three" in Portugal, one of the "big three" in Greece, and a minnow with Champions' League experience - that's not the mix I would've picked for us. I crunched some numbers on all of the 1-3-4 seed combinations, though, and our trio of opponents is pretty much right in the middle of the pack as far as combined European points goes. We could've done better (like getting into Group H with Steaua/Twente/Sheriff), but we could've done a whole lot worse too (like being stuck in Group L with the Bremen/Bilbao/Nacional trio). Long as we get our on-field performance straightened out I give us a pretty good shot at clearing this group, but I don't expect it to be as easy as two years ago.

You sure talk a lot for someone that supports a club that spent over £100 million in the last 4 years and the only silverware you won was because of the "men in black"...

You also know full well why we were in this draw instead of yesterday's.

Anyways, I'm not saying we're playing well, we're not. We haven't played what we should in the 4 years Paulo Bento has been in charge, be even playing badly we always end up ahead of you... ;)

I don't think there are any soccer fans here. Here we're all football fans.

Top 5?? Jeez, you guys are always top of the world in the summer... ;)

You need to come to grips with reality, and remember that a season isn't defined by what you do before it starts. Besides, don't forget, there'll 8 teams coming from the CL as well, so don't be all over-optimistic. Remember, Shaktar was dropped from the CL to the UEFA or ending 3rd in our group, and we beat them on both games.

Good players, but does it hurt you guys that there's only 1 Portuguese player in that 11?

I mean, back in the late 70s, early 80s, it was 1 foreigner at best, now it's this...

There's decent youngsters that should play, like Amorim, Miguel Vitor and Fabio Coentrão (this boy is gonna be one hell of a player), but what chance do they get??

Well, Portugal needs a benfica that's competitive in europe. Last year was a disgrace, and we'll need points, if we hope to get back to 3 CL teams and 3 Europa teams.

We always get 2 or 3 teams kicked out in the knockoff stages, why do they work so hard for qualifying to do what Setubal, Guimarães, Braga (this year), National and all the others do, to get kicked out so stupidly against extremely easy sides?

I'm actually surprised National managed to kick out Zenit from Europa, a club that has a budget higher than any club in Portugal, that won the UEFA 2 years ago, and they're out. I don't like National, especially their highly arrogant president, but credit to them, I hope they get us some points too.

Seriously man? What the hell are you doing here? You should be in front of your stadium right know asking for the head of your coach. After 2 games in Liga Sagres your team has 1 point in 6 possible, you lost/draw every official game so far, and dont make me talk about your preseason.

True we've spent a lot of money in the last seasons, but you kept your team and your coach for 4 years in a row, how many championships have you own so far? 12-1 aggregate against Bayern Munich last season rings any bell? First time ever you passed the group stage in the champions league and you got pounded.

We finished third so what? Our coach was Enrique Sanchez Flores, he had no previous knowledge of the league, the season before that we had 3 coaches...

This year we got Jorge Jesus, last season he went all the way to the quarter finals with SC Braga in Uefa Cup, thats quite an achievement, plus like you told, we spent a lot of money on our team, but we got some awesome players, no matter how you put it, Saviola, Aimar, Di Maria, Cardozo and many others would be first choice in Sporting in any day of the week. I think I got all the reasons in the world to be confident, time will tell if I was right to be confident, cause everyone knows its like how you finish and not how you start...

Seriously I think that a Sporting fan talking about Everton vs Benfica speaks much about the drepession their supporters have, got nothing else better to do? But I understand you, Everton and Benfica were, are and will be, better teams than Sporting will ever be.

Edited by nullus

hello guys

im a Benfica supporter...i love the premier League (the best League in the world!!). Im happy with the draw and to play a english team like Everton. It will be 2 interesting games. Its normal that i want benfica to win but it will very difficult. Im member from Diabos Vermelhos. Benfica is the team with the most members in Europe!!

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/7615/benficaporto07081on9.jpg&imgrefurl=http://z6.invisionfree.com/UltrasTifosi/ar/t7407.htm&usg=__t_3Hte22TGYNXVA1nxrMbaHs5TU=&h=300&w=449&sz=51&hl=de&start=22&um=1&tbnid=gAQLvWrzwwYjTM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddiabos%2Bvermelhos%2Bbenfica%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Dde%26sa%3DN%26start%3D18%26um%3D1

In this link are some photos where you Everton fans will stay.

thanks.

Edited by DiabosVermelhos

Seriously man? What the hell are you doing here? You should be in front of your stadium right know asking for the head of your coach. After 2 games in Liga Sagres your team has 1 point in 6 possible, you lost/draw every official game so far, and dont make me talk about your preseason.

What's the point?? It's been four fucking years!! We've asked for it quite enough, if president Ravanelli doesn't get it soon, PB won't leave and you know it, no matter how much we pressure them. Close to 100.000 members, and less than 30.000 have their quotas in order. You know as well as I that most of us don't see ourselves in the direction these people are taking the club, but try to convince that to the "old men from restelo". To them, Roquette and friends can do no wrong, and so here we are.

True we've spent a lot of money in the last seasons, but you kept your team and your coach for 4 years in a row, how many championships have you own so far? 12-1 aggregate against Bayern Munich last season rings any bell? First time ever you passed the group stage in the champions league and you got pounded.

How many did you win?? And how many CL presences did you have, and trophies won, for all that money spent?? As for bayern, it's not like you didn't get hammered by "giants" celta vigo either...

We finished third so what? Our coach was Enrique Sanchez Flores, he had no previous knowledge of the league, the season before that we had 3 coaches...

This year we got Jorge Jesus, last season he went all the way to the quarter finals with SC Braga in Uefa Cup, thats quite an achievement, plus like you told, we spent a lot of money on our team, but we got some awesome players, no matter how you put it, Saviola, Aimar, Di Maria, Cardozo and many others would be first choice in Sporting in any day of the week. I think I got all the reasons in the world to be confident, time will tell if I was right to be confident, cause everyone knows its like how you finish and not how you start...

Appart from saviola, you had all those last season... As for them beeing first choice in Sporting, I don't know...

Aimar played virtually nothing last season, Cardozo isn't the proper companion for Liesdon, Saviola might be, and Di Maria wouldn't take the spot of either Vuk or Izmailov. And doesn't it bother you that none of your "awesome players" are portuguese? How can you claim to have a better formation than us when you don't use it, and spend millions every year on foreign players?

As for Quique, previous knowledge of the league??? Is that why he changed the starting 11 EVERY SINGLE GAME? He was a shitty coach, and knowledge didn't save camacho the year before. Pre-seasons mean nothing, they never did, yet you're always champions at pre-season, "this is the year" and all that jazz. And it never gets you anywhere.

Seriously I think that a Sporting fan talking about Everton vs Benfica speaks much about the drepession their supporters have, got nothing else better to do? But I understand you, Everton and Benfica were, are and will be, better teams than Sporting will ever be.

Seriously, you should look at the date I joined. I've been here for about a year now, and talked about many different things. The quality of a forum is reflected on the quality of the members and the discussions they have, and I've enjoyed it here. I've gained a deep respect for Everton and their supporters, given that they, like us, do a lot with so little, they've learned that suffering is as big a part of the game as goals, while others just expect to win everything every time (and no, I don't mean benfica in particular, porto are worse, as are fans from the really big clubs, like real, milan and united).

So excuse me if I, as a portuguese, like to share my oppinion in a forum about a group where both a portuguese team and team I like and for which I wish the best play in.

...Benfica is the team with the most members in Europe!!...

Wasn't it the world? Guiness record and all that?

I wont bother to make quotations.

But talkin about Celta de Vigo, sure that was an awfull result, but it was also 10 years ago, and still it was even much less than 12-1 aggregate, and yours was last year. That time was a really an awfull time for Benfica, I compare it to the dark ages, we still suffer a bit from it, but we are slowly getting back on our feet and taking the place thats rightfully ours.

Talking about CL presences, we got 29 overall, since the new format (Benfica: 91/92 - 94/95 - 98/99 - 05/06 - 06/07 - 07/08; Sporting - 97/98 - 02/03 - 06/07 - 07/08 - 08/09)

Prize List:

Portugal Division 1 - SuperLiga since 1934/1935

Best result : 1st in 2004/2005

31 times first in 2004/2005, 1993/1994, 1990/1991, 1988/1989, 1986/1987, 1983/1984, 1982/1983, 1980/1981, 1976/1977, 1975/1976, 1974/1975, 1972/1973, 1971/1972, 1970/1971, 1968/1969, 1967/1968, 1966/1967, 1964/1965, 1963/1964, 1962/1963, 1960/1961, 1959/1960, 1956/1957, 1954/1955, 1949/1950, 1944/1945, 1942/1943, 1941/1942, 1937/1938, 1936/1937, 1935/1936

24 times second in 2003/2004, 2002/2003, 1997/1998, 1995/1996, 1992/1993, 1991/1992, 1989/1990, 1987/1988, 1985/1986, 1981/1982, 1978/1979, 1977/1978, 1973/1974, 1969/1970, 1965/1966, 1958/1959, 1955/1956, 1952/1953, 1951/1952, 1948/1949, 1947/1948, 1946/1947, 1945/1946, 1943/1944

14 times third in 2008/2009, 2006/2007, 2005/2006, 1999/2000, 1998/1999, 1996/1997, 1994/1995, 1984/1985, 1979/1980, 1961/1962, 1957/1958, 1953/1954, 1950/1951, 1938/1939

UEFA Champions League since 1957/1958 (29 participations)

Best result : 1st in 1961/1962

2 times first in 1961/1962, 1960/1961

5 times second in 1989/1990, 1987/1988, 1967/1968, 1964/1965, 1962/1963

UEFA Cup since 1966/1967 (17 participations)

Best result : 2nd in 1982/1983

1 times second in 1982/1983

Uefa Cup Winners' Cup since 1970/1971 (7 participations)

Best result : Semi-Finals in 1993/1994

Latin Cup since 1949/1950 (3 participations)

Best result : 1st in 1949/1950

1 times first in 1949/1950

1 times second in 1956/1957

1 times third in 1955/1956

Intercontinental Cup - Toyota Cup since 1961/1962 (2 participations)

Best result : 2nd in 1962/1963

2 times second in 1962/1963, 1961/1962

Cup of Portugal since 1921/1922

Best result : 1st in 2003/2004

27 times first in 2003/2004, 1995/1996, 1992/1993, 1986/1987, 1985/1986, 1984/1985, 1982/1983, 1980/1981, 1979/1980, 1971/1972, 1969/1970, 1968/1969, 1963/1964, 1961/1962, 1958/1959, 1956/1957, 1954/1955, 1952/1953, 1951/1952, 1950/1951, 1948/1949, 1943/1944, 1942/1943, 1939/1940, 1934/1935, 1930/1931, 1929/1930

10 times second in 2004/2005, 1996/1997, 1988/1989, 1974/1975, 1973/1974, 1970/1971, 1964/1965, 1957/1958, 1938/1939, 1937/1938

No one said that we had a better formation than sporting, but what did that get you? You talk about the money we spent, but you forget that you dont spend any because you dont have it. Look at your new signing. Angulo from Valencia? 32 years old on a free transfer, because Valencia didnt want him. Dont you have a decent formation to get a more decent player for that position? No matter what you say, if you could, you would take Cardozo or Aimar instead of him.

And about Di Maria, hes 21 years old, he plays for the Argentinian National team, do you know who Maradona puts on the bench to let him play? And everyone knows that Aimar was recovering from a severe injury, last season he wasnt still at his peak, by the time he was making awesome performances the league was almost over, and he wasnt playing in his natural position, this season he will...

I dont agree that we had a better team last year, we lost Reyes, Suazo, Katsouranis... but to compensate we got Saviola, Weldon, Keirrison (this one still needs alot of work to get used to european football), Fabio Coentrao (he was out on a loan, but hes more mature now), Filipe Menezes? (press says we are about to sign this player, still needs confirmation), Ramires, Cesar Peixoto, Javi Garcia and Julio Cesar.

Overall and all things considered I think we have a better and more balanced team.

And talking about Camacho, do not forget he wasnt the first coach that season...

Edited by nullus

No one said that we had a better formation than sporting, but what did that get you? You talk about the money we spent, but you forget that you dont spend any because you dont have it. Look at your new signing. Angulo from Valencia? 32 years old on a free transfer, because Valencia didnt want him. Dont you have a decent formation to get a more decent player for that position? No matter what you say, if you could, you would take Cardozo or Aimar instead of him.

And about Di Maria, hes 21 years old, he plays for the Argentinian National team, do you know who Maradona puts on the bench to let him play? And everyone knows that Aimar was recovering from a severe injury, last season he wasnt still at his peak, by the time he was making awesome performances the league was almost over, and he wasnt playing in his natural position, this season he will...

I dont agree that we had a better team last year, we lost Reyes, Suazo, Katsouranis... but to compensate we got Saviola, Weldon, Keirrison (this one still needs alot of work to get used to european football), Fabio Coentrao (he was out on a loan, but hes more mature now), Filipe Menezes? (press says we are about to sign this player, still needs confirmation), Ramires, Cesar Peixoto, Javi Garcia and Julio Cesar.

Overall and all things considered I think we have a better and more balanced team.

And talking about Camacho, do not forget he wasnt the first coach that season...

We're getting way off-topic here, so we should rap this up, so let me just clear a few things.

That thing about your youth training was on your tv, I saw the clip on youtube. As for us not spending, you're probably correct. But that begs the question of just where LFV gets the money for all those new teams every year...

As for Angulo, I agree. We have enough attackers, Liedson, Postiga, Yannick, Caicedo, Saleiro, even Vukcevic can play there pretty well. We also have quite enough midfielders, although I'd like at least a winger, like Coentrão, since it looks like Pereirinha is destined to become a right back, because it no matter the ammount of crap that Pedro Silva does, he starts if he's fit...

So yeah, I'd take other players over a 32 year old striker which we don't need. Your team is more balanced this year, that's a given, and Jesus is a much better coach than El Queque will ever be.

I don't mind a stronger benfica, portugal needs more clubs to step up and represent us, but I do mind a foreign benfica, a benfica filled with brazilians and argentinians instead of portuguese talent like they should.

I do mind having my club ran like it's been run for the past 5 to 6 years, led by people with no clue about what Sporting is, that have destroyed the fans beliefs in them, and until that changes, we'll never be anything other than 2nd.

Didn't realise that they're doing the "five official" experiment in this.

Extra assistants on each goal line communicating via headsets.

Hopefully that will bring more justice to the final result in Europa league. But still 2 more people to judge when they all needed was 1 guy watching replays on a tv screen.

Edited by nullus

scouser-1.gif Maybe you lads should start you own thread in the off topic section. ;);)

yeah...a lot of talk, but no results. not since the 60s anyway.

anyway, let's not get mad at each other. we'll be happy to go to Lisbon, to enjoy the good weather, food and hopefully a good result. At home, we should win them all..

scouser-1.gif Maybe you lads should start you own thread in the off topic section. ;);)

Mate, this is calm. You should see us when we're fired up ;)

And don't sweat it, if we need to exchange barbs, we'll use a proper thread.

Didn't realise that they're doing the "five official" experiment in this.

Extra assistants on each goal line communicating via headsets.

Really? Seems like a stupid waste of resources, if all they'll be checking is the goal line.

Hopefully that will bring more justice to the final result in Europa league. But still 2 more people to judge when they all needed was 1 guy watching replays on a tv screen.

I agree. Reminds of the time indoor hockey had the refs behind the goals, which was a real waste, has we've seen since they've been removed. Tech is a much better way to fix a lot of disputes, namely the main time wasters that are diving and theatrics, a real plague in modern football, and we here see it a lot more than in other championships. And the idiot commentators with their "it's part of the game" remarks, grade A arseholes perpetuating unsportsman like behaviors.

yeah...a lot of talk, but no results. not since the 60s anyway.

anyway, let's not get mad at each other. we'll be happy to go to Lisbon, to enjoy the good weather, food and hopefully a good result. At home, we should win them all..

Late October and early November, it'll depend... Good food, you'll always have, but weather, I don't know.

Edited by Sporting4ever