Sign in to follow this  
MikeO

Johnny Heitinga

He's not a RB. He plays there because there are no alternatives for Holland and/or Atletico Madrid. Rather, I would say he is a class CB who can cover RB.

Sadly, I can see him going to another Champions League club next rather than to a club like us :(

Oh he must be about twenty-four now. Can't be bothered to check.

Seriously, he is wasted at RB! I hope people know he is a CB first and foremost :(

bloody hell! he mustve started in the national team when he was 17 then! he has always impressed when ive seen him. sounds like another versitile player for defence. now the big questions: how much and wages?

how old is he now? hes been around for ages!

He's 26 I think. He's similar to Taylor in regards to the fact that he is much better at centre back than he is at right back, but he can still do a job there. He would do better at right back than lescott did at left back, and he steadied that position if nothing else.

He's 26 I think. He's similar to Taylor in regards to the fact that he is much better at centre back than he is at right back, but he can still do a job there. He would do better at right back than lescott did at left back, and he steadied that position if nothing else.

Dont know if thats a typo or if you really mean it, Davey continually stated that Lescott was the best left back in the country, and he kept Baines out of the team for about 12 months.

imo he was a better full back than he was at centre half, and thats a compliment because he was a pretty good CH as well. ;)

Well he was never the best full back in the country. He did a job, and Baines lack of fitness was one of the main reseason we didn't get a look in. Lescott did ok but when you see Baines play there who is a natural left back yo realise that while lescott steadied the ship he didn't really offer that much within that position. Becuase we where so poor in that positio for so long Lescott was a breath of fresh air, but he wasn't ever a world beater there and Moyes was deluded if he thought he was best left back in the country.

Hmmm yeah, I wonder if as well as Baines' injury that Moyes also allowed him a bedding-in period. A lot of players do need that. Either way I don't see Lescott as being nearly as good as Ashley Cole and the like.

He got into the England squad when he was playing fullback. ;)

and he looked crap. Heitinga regularly plays right back for Holland, I still stand by the fact that though he is better at centre back he is still a better full back than Lescott is.

There's no chance of us getting him if he's any good. ;)

He's good but was hit and miss during his first season in spain, I can see them selng him if the right offer came in. If we where to do that or not is up in the air, i'd imagine we wouldn't though. Shame.

The thing about Lescott at fullback was that it happened at a time when Ashley Cole was off form and Baines was still getting over his injury plus Wayne Bridge wasn't playing a lot of football. I can't see him playing for England there again unless that very, very rare situation crops up. Any way, onto the issue at hand . . .

I agree with Jamie, Heitinga is a top CB who has yet to prove himself outside of Holland. I doubt Atletico will let go of him unless it is for silly money and Everton simply do not have silly money to spend.

The Mirror, The Mail, The Sun, The Express, The Post, The Independant and The Times all carrying the story that we've have a bid accepted for him (between 5 and 5.7m) Bargain price and with all the papers running the story i'm guessing its fairly concrete. Wages could be an issue. He's earing £50k after tax a week in Spain. Lets see if we can wrangle around that one! Still, a positive move forwards on this one.

This sounds very good. Can't he move to a few different positions?

He is best at centre back but can also play Right Back which is where he will be deployed here i imagine.He played defensive mid for Ajax a couple of times when he was first coming through, but that was only as cover and Ajax will usually play youth players in various positions when they first come through so that they get a better understanding of the qualities needed for each position. For example they will often play a young striker at centre back so that the striker can get himself into the mind set of a defender and make logical choices to beat defenders in the future.

If he's as good as you say he is Jamie could he play defensive mid and switch Neville to fullback, i cant see him leaving Captain Phil on the bench.

Is captain Phil good enough to play def Mid. ??

With DM saying yesterday that he was close to another defender signing this is good news. As people have said maybe this window not turning out to bad after all but only time will tell.

DM also said hoping to do maybe more that 2 more

If he's as good as you say he is Jamie could he play defensive mid and switch Neville to fullback, i cant see him leaving Captain Phil on the bench.

Is captain Phil good enough to play def Mid. ??

He's not good enough to play DM. My point was that he had been played there in a handful of games but that's only because that is often how Ajax try and imrpove there players. He'd be wasted in defensive mid, similar to Jags when played away from his favoured position, and in fairness Neville did a cracking job there last year.

Heitinga is a good defender, a defensive mid he aint though.

He's not good enough to play DM. My point was that he had been played there in a handful of games but that's only because that is often how Ajax try and imrpove there players. He'd be wasted in defensive mid, similar to Jags when played away from his favoured position, and in fairness Neville did a cracking job there last year.

Heitinga is a good defender, a defensive mid he aint though.

I'd compare him to Vermaelen .. not tall or fast, but feisty :) .

He would be a great signing, but I don't see it happening at £5-6m.

I'd compare him to Vermaelen .. not tall or fast, but feisty :) .

He would be a great signing, but I don't see it happening at £5-6m.

God. I want a bit more aggression in the team. Its only really Cahill that offers it (and Vaughan when he's on).

Felli is just clumsy!

Think you can use the English language to better effect, no?

Fucked them over, bent them over backwards, gave it where it hurt?

I'm sure there are plenty of phrases to get across what I meant :lol:

This can't be true - can it?! If Lescott cost £24m, how can a player who is a year younger and has been capped 47 times for the Netherlands already - and will be first choice in the World Cup next year while Lescott is warming the bench - be worth just FIVE million?! I've seen Heitinga play a few times for the Dutch and he looks class - if Moyesey does pull this off, I think its time to apologise for all the bitching about leaving it late to sign anyone and recognise that he has pulled an absolute blinder. Joleon WHO?!

Papers are saying that Heitinga's wages might be a problem - well if he's only costing £5m, surely we could offer him a lump sum golden hello (£1m up front, say) to seal the deal. It would still mean we've managed to sign two class defenders for half what we got for Lescott, plus an exciting left winger. You gotta say, selling your best players is never ideal, but if you look at it like that we're a stronger team for it

Papers are saying that Heitinga's wages might be a problem - well if he's only costing £5m, surely we could offer him a lump sum golden hello (£1m up front, say) to seal the deal. It would still mean we've managed to sign two class defenders for half what we got for Lescott, plus an exciting left winger. You gotta say, selling your best players is never ideal, but if you look at it like that we're a stronger team for it

Everton have a rigid pay structure, so unless he gets heavy bonuses then effectively he will have to take a pay cut. But yes, if the club pulls it off then we would be far stronger than before.

If this happens it will be brilliant, I think that he is pure class. We get the dutch league on telli here in sweden and ive seen him play loads of times. I actually rate him as high as Lescott. Or as he was a couple of years ago which was better than now.

Brilliant signing if it happens.

right dont know weather this is coz i have a crap signal on my dongle (3 mobile shite) but i have been able to look at atletico's defenders except johnny's will some have a look an just let me know if its just my comp please!!!

Not working here either, but he's still in the list.