IGNORED

Baines

I just wanted to give a nod to Baines. Not really because of his crucial penalty today (given our start to the season that was a pressure kick), but I was just thinking how consistent and reliable he has become. We all recognise that his partnership with Peanuts is a strong one, but in his own right Leightonhas been doing a fantastic job for us over the past year.

alot like jags in the way he started off his everton career, still staggerd that wayne bridge seems to get the nod for england over Leighton, but he has without doubt made himself a certain starter because of his performances going foward and his defensive work. (remember the game against chelsea at stamford bridge, MOTM by far...and we should have won it)

and his pen today scored me few more points on my fantasy prem team :D:lol:

Edited by GoodisonRoad

strange this thread pops up now as i think hes had a poor couple of games and hasnt started the season aswell as he ended it...granted not many have as its been a shocker but baines has been at fault for a couple goals if ya ask me! he is class though and needs to score a couple more i reckon! better than bridge id say though so why he doesnt get in england squad is beyond me...

strange this thread pops up now as i think hes had a poor couple of games and hasnt started the season aswell as he ended it...granted not many have as its been a shocker but baines has been at fault for a couple goals if ya ask me! he is class though and needs to score a couple more i reckon! better than bridge id say though so why he doesnt get in england squad is beyond me...

I agree, while he seems great going forward, our left side has been a bit exposed lately. Might be a carryover effect from losing Lescott as he provided a lot of cover for baines.

don't see why we attack almost exclusively down the left either, when Hibbert had a few chances to send the ball in he got it spot on!

I've got my fingers crossed about that, actually. Pienaar with either Hibbert or Heitinga if we get him whilst Bily and Baines on the other side. Then put Arteta in the middle with a holding player and Yak and Saha up front together whilst Jags and Distin/Yobo at the back.

Hah. Sounds so simple and such a tantalising prospect when you type it up on a keyboard doesn't it? :P Got to love football.

I've got my fingers crossed about that, actually. Pienaar with either Hibbert or Heitinga if we get him whilst Bily and Baines on the other side. Then put Arteta in the middle with a holding player and Yak and Saha up front together whilst Jags and Distin/Yobo at the back.

Hah. Sounds so simple and such a tantalising prospect when you type it up on a keyboard doesn't it? :P Got to love football.

sounds awesome, except i cant see moyes playing 2 up front anytime soon :D

I think he's been a bit let down by Pienaar's positioning when tracking back, for example yesterday Baines had to back off for about 15 yards because he was on his own against the 2 wide men after Peanuts missed a tackle, and you could hear the Gwladys shouting at him to tackle. But fair play to him for doing the right thing.

I think he's been decent, he hasn't reached the heights of last season yet but early days.

Having started this thread, I just wanted to acknowledge all the comments and agree in terms of his form so far this season. In this regard the comment from MarcoPaulo is fair in terms of the specific timing of my post.

My starting post talked about the job that Baines has done for us in the past year - which I stand by.

Hoepfully he (and others) will soon get back to the kind of form that many showed over these last 12 months.