IGNORED

Liverpool Host City World Cup Bid

Louis

More here - http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2009/09/03/new-football-stadia-key-to-liverpool-s-2018-world-cup-plans-92534-24595780/

THE need for new stadia for both Liverpool and Everton footballclubs was the key theme of the official bid for hosting World Cup 2018matches on Merseyside. The event drew footballers past andpresent, politicians and business leaders to witness the unveiling ofthe “One City, One Goal” bid, with much focus being put on thepotential regeneration benefits that a successful outcome would bringto the area.

However, the gathering at the BT ConventionCentre heard no definitive answers as to when LFC’s Stanley Parkstadium project would get under way, other than that it was dependenton a change in the global financial situation.

Similarly,while Everton FC used the Arena launch to promote the positive impactof its Destination Kirkby plan, it insisted that, contrary to somefans’ speculation, it did not know what the outcome of the publicinquiry into the plan would be.

The club’s communicationsdirector, Ian Ross, said Goodison Park, “the grand old lady of Englishfootball”, was becoming “a little tired” and that the current groundcould not provide the facilities needed.

Anfield managingdirector Christian Purslow explained that, for Liverpool FC, the“centrepiece is to deliver a world-class football ground that everyonecan be proud of, a new home for the club with a stadium of at least60,000 seats, giving the best possible match experience.”

He added that the project would begin “when contraction in the world banking market ends and recession finds its equilibrium”.

He added: “It’s a central part of the council’s regenerationstrategy for Stanley Park around Anfield. Research shows that benefitsto the local economy and community will be much greater than if theclub was expanded in situ or moved away.”

Everton’s Mr Rossadded that the club was “equally committed and determined to bringWorld Cup football to the banks of the Mersey.”

He said: “Ithink a lot of people perhaps forget that Goodison Park was regarded asEngland’s second stadium in 1966. Only Wembley held more national games.

“We’ve got fantastic supporters and they deserve fantastic facilities, and we can’t provide this at Goodison going forward.”

Headded the club was “confident that, if we get the decision we arelooking for, the new stadium would go ahead and be a perfect venue forWorld Cup football in 2018.”

Council leader Cllr WarrenBradley would not be drawn about his views on the 55,000-seater Kirkbystadium plan, to which he has been outspokenly opposed in the past.

Hetold the Daily Post: “It’s no good having a World Cup if you haven’tgot the stadiums, but both clubs have given their commitment tobuilding anew.”

I'm missing something .. is it a foregone conclusion that England will get to organize the world cup?

Of course it is :angry: !

We invented the bloody game mate! If we want the World Cup we get the World Cup....we are English, God's chosen people so get used to the idea <_< !

Or....to be completely accurate...no :unsure: .

Of course it is :angry: !

We invented the bloody game mate! If we want the World Cup we get the World Cup....we are English, God's chosen people so get used to the idea <_< !

Or....to be completely accurate...no :unsure: .

In England.. yes! ;) I think it should go to Spain though.

With the rule that the nation that organizes the world cup gets to qualify automatically, I also think it should go to Spain seeing how they would qualify anyway.

If England got into the tournament that way, I'd have the same feeling as when both Switzerland and Austria got to play in the European Championship in 2008 (no England there, right? :D) .. it's like cheating your way into a tournament. :).

Edited by MikeO

With the rule that the nation that organizes the world cup gets to qualify automatically, I also think it should go to Spain seeing how they would qualify anyway.

If England got into the tournament that way, I'd have the same feeling as when both Switzerland and Austria got to play in the European Championship in 2008 (no England there, right? :D) .. it's like cheating your way into a tournament. :).

I very much agree about cheating way into the tournament but I think, and I wait to be corrected here, that rule has now been dropped and everybody has to qualify.

Although a quick look on fifa.comtells me I'm probably talking garbage because South Africa aren't qualifying for this tournament.

But....................... I'm sure I heard it somewhere!

I very much agree about cheating way into the tournament but I think, and I wait to be corrected here, that rule has now been dropped and everybody has to qualify.

Although a quick look on fifa.comtells me I'm probably talking garbage because South Africa aren't qualifying for this tournament.

But....................... I'm sure I heard it somewhere!

I'm unaware of the rule change but would welcome it. When a country organizes a world cup, it gets invaded by hordes of foreign football fans so I don't think its a necessity to have the organizing country compete in the tournament to fill the stadiums (at least that's what I thought the justification was).

(Not that I would ever doubt that a Rodwell-led English team would qualify for the world cup in 2018 obviously ;) ).

Host auto qualify but the winners have to qualify now.

aparently a gental mans agreement was reached that England would vote Germany if Germany voted England. It looks likely that England will get it, after all if one of the most dangerous country in the world can get it, why can't the HOME of football get it.

Didnt we host the Euros in 96 and get to the semis? i wouldnt mind not having to qualify to be honest, less chance of players getting injured...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the USA get it .. football is really getting more popular there and I can imagine FIFA wanting to give it a little push in the back to make it a mainstream sport.

At the very least they've got their stadium situation already sorted out with those humongous NFL buildings.

They tried that in 1994, the stadiums filled out but the US media barely mentioned it. The same could be expected in Oz with the media (NewsCorp) preferring to report on Rugby?

Hm, "soccer" is really much more popular there now than it was then (they beat the NHL regularly in ratings).. plus the generation of kids that watched the '94 WC are now money spending adults.

I think it's a huge market which FIFA will want to sell their product to.

Anyway, I prefer the European Championship. Apart from Brazil and Argentina, all the top teams are there, and none of the crappy ones can qualify because there's no easy groups like "North and Central America and Caribbean" or "Oceania".

I think Liverpool will still get it - I reckon there'll be two Northern groups - North East and North West, with the North western one being Liverpool and Manchester.

Bear in mind that Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford and Hull can't offer anything more and this new high speed rail link is going through Manchester and Liverpool.

Also, aren't Blackburns training facilities one of the best in the league? I seem to recall Abramovich stating they would be the basis for the redevelopment at Chelseas training pitch. They are close enough, surely?