IGNORED

Jack Rodwell

jcrawfor

With young Mr. Rodwell certain to play a much enhanced role in the midfield this year I think it safe to assume he will progress leaps and bounds over the academy starlet that was his former self. And while the idea of yet another brilliant prospect emerging from the School of Science is fantastic to say the least, I can't help but worry that young Rodwell will be tempted to ply his trade elsewhere in less than a few years. I cannot see any way that Wenger, SAF, Benitez, and Abromovich (cuz we all know who's really in charge at Chelski) are not licking their chops at the idea of the next big English star in their squad (yes Wenger will eventually buy one or two English players). I am torn as for what to hope for Rodders: on one hand, I want to see him be better, stronger and more well rounded than the likes of Becks, Rooney and even Gerrard, but on the other hand I know a fast progression like that may see him out of Moyes' care and ultimately playing against our interest. I think Rodwell ought to mark the beginning of the end of Everton selling our biggest assets to "advance the club." Rodwell, as well as the other up and coming youngsters, has the potential to do more good for this club than 20-30mil ever could. Hopefully time will see him become the Gerrard, Giggs or Terry of Everton Football Club. Should that happen, we have a very Very VERY bright future ahead of us. COYB.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll only worry about him leaving, when he joins that evil squad we call the England squad, bunch of tossers, who love to pursade Everton players to come to there club.

There always happy at Everton till they get in the England squad, then a whisper here an a whisper there an they wanna leave. I hope non of our players get called up to that squad EVER again.

Im hoping we get at least another 3 years out of him but I do feel that if he reaches his potential he will become too big for the club and he will move on

He is going to be wanting to play Champions League football or at least Europa League and winning trophies and unless we manage to find that illusive billionaire before Rodders begins to bloom then its inevitable that he will move on

Im hoping we get at least another 3 years out of him but I do feel that if he reaches his potential he will become too big for the club and he will move on

He is going to be wanting to play Champions League football or at least Europa League and winning trophies and unless we manage to find that illusive billionaire before Rodders begins to bloom then its inevitable that he will move on

i disagree. i tihnk he have a long career here.

I think thats a bit niave. He will only stay if the club progress with him

If he becomes a top player why would he stay at Everton earning £50k a week when he sees lesser players earning £200k a week and collecting winners medals?

Because players on 200k a week will soon become a thing of the past, if Plantini gets his way.

Because players on 200k a week will soon become a thing of the past, if Plantini gets his way.

If Platini gets his way...the future may be even brighter for us. If "that Mob" (Real), Chelski, Manure, Citeh, Inter, and the like can no longer prise otherwise loyal players away from their clubs...we might actually see some real competition in the Prem, La Liga, Serie A and most importantly CL. Maybe I'm going overboard, but I think this idea of clubs spending within their means and no more could be the greatest bit of reform in the history of football. (Other than us leaving Anfield for the greener pastures of GP of course :P )

I was basing my comments on the game of football as it is now, who knows what will happen if they change the laws of the game

I would welcome a wage cap because it would give us a better chance of competeing and therefore keeping the likes of Rodders

but with the rules as they are I stand by what I said

Big clubs are always gonna snap up talented youngsters for a bucketful of cash.

All we can hope is for players to have enough loyalty to stay as long as they can.

I'd be glad enough if Rodwell stayed with us for 3-4 years and left giving us a giant windfall, just as long as he doesnt pull a Lescott.

Big clubs are always gonna snap up talented youngsters for a bucketful of cash.

All we can hope is for players to have enough loyalty to stay as long as they can.

I'd be glad enough if Rodwell stayed with us for 3-4 years and left giving us a giant windfall, just as long as he doesnt pull a Lescott.

er? contradicting yourself there mate.

I heard he turned down Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd to stay with us on less money, another club I once heard coming in for him before he turned pro was no other than the current European Champions - Barcelona. The lad looks like he wants to be here and has his head on straight. One day he may leave but I can bet you now he wont be cheap.

I honestly believe that if you took Gerrard out of the Liverpool team and put him in ours then we would finish above Liverpool. Working on this theory then for me, if Rodwell becomes as good as he looks he might, then he should be able to take us that next step up into the Champions League places. We've finished 5th two years in a row, one in an injury ravaged campaign so it's not as if we're a million miles away now.

Like a bunch of guys said if the club dont progress with him he'll probably be outta here in 2-3 years when his talent starts to show.

I think Moyes will stop selling our best players for us to progress.

Problem is how does Moyes stop Man City offering £26 million for Jagielka or £20million foe Arteta in the Jan window.

Because thats the sort of crap that could come our way.

Problem is how does Moyes stop Man City offering £26 million for Jagielka or £20million foe Arteta in the Jan window.

No to both from me. I'm still not totally sold that we're better off after selling Lescott (however, if Billy, Johnny and Heitinga turn out to be stars i'll change my mind). Those are two players, unlike J-lo who make our team tick. especially Mikky. No to any amount below 40mil for each.

Yep thats the problem! For starters Moyes should stand his ground and not end up selling his players, unfortunately this will never if we have a cheap owner which will force Moyes (the greatest manager ever) to sell and invest in new signings. Who ever said life's fair :(

I honestly believe that if you took Gerrard out of the Liverpool team and put him in ours then we would finish above Liverpool. Working on this theory then for me, if Rodwell becomes as good as he looks he might, then he should be able to take us that next step up into the Champions League places. We've finished 5th two years in a row, one in an injury ravaged campaign so it's not as if we're a million miles away now.

completely agree mate

Great post Carl.

If Gerrard OR Torres happen to pick up a long term injury this season Liverpool will probably drop their CL spot. Especially with Alonso gone, they've really got no one of game changing consequence (except maybe Yossi Benayoun). If Citeh keep their form (I doubt they will) i think the spot is theirs. But should the Eastland egos clash i think we have a pretty good shot. A battle between us and (a now Modric-less) Spurs could be VERY intriguing.

very well said mate. good to see im not the only one who can see this.

now, im going to get slated for this, but nearly 50 million for 2 players is too good to turn down. i do NOT want to see them go, just so we're clear, and we should be building towards the future. but think of the people we could get for 50million, even in these overly inflated transfer times. Mouhinto (20mill), Defour (15mill) + 15mill on top of anything thats already there for the defence. This is also assuming Moyes would spend it all on big names, we all know he can find worthy gems in the lower leagues.

i expect a backlash to some degree, but as much as i would hate to see them go, the prospect of brining in younger players who have just as much experience is very tempting and i dont think i would be 100% against them leaving...

I think people shouldn't get carried away with young Rodwell, granted he is an outstanding talent but isn't the finished article by no means, which is great because he is quality now! But in Everton weak center he is a rose sprouting among a rubbish tip, harsh but true. But for Rods own sake, let's keep expectation moderate and hope he remains loyal, as if he grows to what I think he is capable of I'm sure Kenwright will have the buyers lined up to secure another transfer kitty for Moyes.

now, im going to get slated for this, but nearly 50 million for 2 players is too good to turn down. i do NOT want to see them go, just so we're clear, and we should be building towards the future. but think of the people we could get for 50million, even in these overly inflated transfer times. Mouhinto (20mill), Defour (15mill) + 15mill on top of anything thats already there for the defence. This is also assuming Moyes would spend it all on big names, we all know he can find worthy gems in the lower leagues.

i expect a backlash to some degree, but as much as i would hate to see them go, the prospect of brining in younger players who have just as much experience is very tempting and i dont think i would be 100% against them leaving...

No backlash as it's a fact! The only thing stopping Arteta and Jags going is that Citeh are well stocked in those areas, but money talks and especially for a chairman who is seemingly intend on keeping us a selling club. Doesn't matter Moyes says know, as Hughes put it, clubs will speak to Billy directly as they know he is keen for the cash.

No backlash as it's a fact! The only thing stopping Arteta and Jags going is that Citeh are well stocked in those areas, but money talks and especially for a chairman who is seemingly intend on keeping us a selling club. Doesn't matter Moyes says know, as Hughes put it, clubs will speak to Billy directly as they know he is keen for the cash.

You are thick, u really think kenwright sold Lescott behind moyes back??? i think the whole plan was to sell Lescott once they got the right cash, an selling Lescott was a brilliant move, we sold a 8mil player which we paid 5 for for 24 mil, thats amazing profit an brought in 3 players or which 2 are probably better at CB then Lescott.

Im not going to argue with this BK stuff and a selling club. Personally i think its all nonsense and the man does everything he can for Everton. That may not be much but at he does what he can. its a fact of football that players move from one club to the next and it was a fantastic bit of business from BK, DM and the board to get 3 times the worth of Lescott in a deal, of which nearly all went back into the squad, which is now stronger for it.

Also, Citeh wouldve bid for Jags too if he was fit, who in my opinion is a much better player than JL, defence is not one of their strongest areas. Arteta, in the form he was in before his injury, would grace any teams midfield, no matter how full. I wouldnt be suprised if DM asked specifically for a clause in his contract that stipulated that he soley was in charge of transfer dealsins, which is why is so adament. If BK was going to sell him behind his back, which i doubt, Moyes wouldve resigned.

I heard he turned down Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd to stay with us on less money, another club I once heard coming in for him before he turned pro was no other than the current European Champions - Barcelona. The lad looks like he wants to be here and has his head on straight. One day he may leave but I can bet you now he wont be cheap.

A cynic might say that loyalty would have nothing to do with choices along those lines, where else is he going to get the number of 1st team games he gets here. It's the best possible way to further his own career at the moment, and proves that he's got a decent head, or advisers.

I still hope he blooms and becomes the next England holding midfielder and that he chooses to stay with us forever. And if he wants to go, that we get fantasy sums for him.