IGNORED

Kissock: I Cried When Everton Released Me

Louis

FORMER Everton youth academy star John Paul Kissock has revealed his devastation at being released by the club he will “always love.”

And the midfielder who now plays in the Scottish League for Hamilton Academicals revealed he wanted to quit football completely after being by David Moyes he didn’t have a future at Goodison Park.

The 19-year-old had been tipped for a bright future as an emerging teenage talent, but despite a handful of appearances in pre-season friendlies and stints as a first team substitute in the opening four games of last season, he never made a senior appearance for the Blues.

“I was devastated to leave Everton,” said Kissock. “I have supported them all my life and will always love the club.

“I wasn't Moyes’ type of player. He doesn’t have many flamboyant players in his side. But you can’t argue with what he has achieved at Everton and I wish him all the best. I was on the bench a lot and there were times I thought I might get on.

“However, it never happened and I was gutted to leave. Moyes took me into his office to deliver the news and it was a horrible day one of the worst experiences of my life.

“When he told me it was terrible. There were uncontrollable tears I broke down in the dressing room even though I was determined not to.

“I had been at the club for 12 years and it was hard to tell the family, especially my dad. He’s a mad blue and it was a shock. Everyone thought I deserved a chance. The most galling thing is not to have played a single game that’s what I wanted to achieve.

“I didn't want to play football after that I just wanted to quit. Thankfully after a few weeks I picked myself up. Now that belief is back.”

Now a part of Hamilton’s Scottish Premier League squad, Kissock is determined to erase his frustration by forging a career for himself north of the border.

Kissock added: “It’s a great league and the Scottish people are brilliant. I’m a bit of a home bird but the Scots are just like Scousers.

“What happened at Gretna (where Kissock was on-loan) was sad but the club wasn’t run as professionally as it could have been.

“It wasn’t nice when half the squad were made redundant.

“A lot of young lads were there and that killed the spirit at the club.

“Coming from Everton it was night and day. Seeing people lose their jobs was definitely an eye-opener to the other side of football.

“I had a few options this summer but I like Scotland. It’s close enough to ensure I don’t get homesick.

“I believe I can be a good player for Hamilton. They have lost McCarthy and he was an important player in a creative sense.

“Hopefully I can provide that creativity. I like to get on the ball and show people what I can do.

“I want to do well here because the club has given me that buzz back.”